Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 17, 2017, 02:58:39 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Little Witch Academia  (Read 6328 times)

Offline gedata

• gedata's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @https://twitter.com/G3data

Little Witch Academia
« on: January 09, 2017, 12:28:27 AM »
1:

Well, for now this is a prequel, but we should be around wherever the 1st OVA took place at the moment. Off to a perfectly reasonable start I must say. Re-doing the scene with Shiny Chariot wasn't even something that had to be done but I'm happy they did anyway.

Let me be the 1st to say that Sucy is a goddamn monster nearly murdering those two like that. The school seems pretty awful when it comes to handling these new muggles. No instructions on how to utilize the Leyland, no mailed-in required objects given, nothing. And Akko is going to be on the same learning curve as witches that presumably have had experience with magic for much of their life. Anti-muggle sentiments are going to make things any easier.

Teach is likely Shiny Chariot btw

Would you look at that? On the right side of the pamphlet they foreshadowed what would transpire later in the episode. Heh.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 01:39:58 PM by gedata »

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: Little Witch Academia
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 05:56:57 PM »
1:

I can't remember all the details from the OVA, but it seems to me they've captured the same wide-eyed, fairy-tale atmosphere. The show makes the wise decision to focus on a handful of characters and magic itself, before bringing the school and everyone else into the picture. This show isn't going to go very far off of the audience's sense of wonder alone.

Cautiously optimistic.
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 06:44:22 AM »
Another sweet anime. I feel is like renegades from Studio Ghibli defected to Disney Studios. The BGM and style has a bit of 50's Disney. With a touch of current Japanese anime with a dash of Ghibli.

It's a story of a good hearted and clumsy loser became the reason people starts believing in themselves. Even Diana, who was  arrogant, but NOT A EVIL BITCH person, that will be Akko's friend. That is so recycled.  Like Disney and Ghibli, they added small touches that added color to the story, like Saucy makes a plant grows out of Akko's head.

It's how they string the story together. Although everything is clique, it's nice clique. No doe eyes girls. No hentai issues. Keep doing this.

And it's so obvious that Professor Ursula is Shiny Chariot. (I did some looking up. Prof Ursula VA is the voice of the Dominator in Psycho Pass?!)

Offline Marid King

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 10:31:47 AM »
2:

I really, really like that Diana is a bit stuck-up, but ultimately a benevolent character. Like some silly child, it gives me hope that at the end of the day, everyone will be friends.

I'm trying to get an idea of what the overall story arc is going to be, because this is a 25 episode show. Maybe Akko passes her first year and becomes a competent witch?

Offline SQA

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 01:18:46 AM »
I wonder if they're going to retell either of the OVAs.   The setup is pretty straight forward: it's a Japanese take on the Harry Potter approach to a magic kids' story.  Just with Trigger's physical comedy added in.  Akko is your standard plucky Naruto-clone, with some hidden talent.  So, most of the approach is going to be pretty by the numbers, which is fine.  What made the OVAs work is physical comedy and just a nutty world, along with some solid writing & voice work.   

Looking back over the first OVA, it's set maybe a few weeks into the semester, but Akko gets the Shiny Rod half way through the OVA, not at the start.  This probably suggests they're going to retell the OVA in a few episodes.

Offline Major Tom

• PYON!
    • MajorTom's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 06:23:21 AM »
I haven't seen the OVA, but I've enjoyed these first two episodes so far.  Really digging the art style, and it does have that wonderous feel about it.  I do hope Sucy does keep up with pranks, and Akko continues to not notice them.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 07:36:23 AM »
Wasn't the OVA cloud funded? If they deviate from the OVA, how would the backers on kickstarter feels?

Offline gedata

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 04:22:42 PM »
I wonder if they're going to retell either of the OVAs.   The setup is pretty straight forward: it's a Japanese take on the Harry Potter approach to a magic kids' story.

The OVAs are pretty self-contained adventures so I don't see any reason for retconning. I think they'll just be events that we fans recognize as having taken place somewhere within the timeline but not actually acknowledged by the series.

Offline SQA

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 08:13:24 PM »
Wasn't the OVA cloud funded? If they deviate from the OVA, how would the backers on kickstarter feels?

The first OVA was actually one of the Anime Mirai projects.  The 2nd OVA was the crowd funded one, and it was fine.  The formula isn't to reinvent the wheel, but simply to do a fairly standard take on Western fantasy with Japanese thought.  And make it fun.  Which is something I'll give Trigger, as that is something they clearly favor.  (Go go Gainax DNA.)

I'd hold off on watching the OVA until we get a few more episodes in, if you haven't seen it.  Though the characters are for all intents & purposes the same, so don't expect anything really different.  And, yes, Susy is damn awesome. 

There's also some deep irony that Shiny Chariot is pretty much a stand-in for any Japanese that make it big outside of Japan, yet it was the non-Japanese fans that funded the second OVA and pretty much helped get this series made.

Offline Major Tom

• PYON!

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 03:38:06 AM »
I watched them today.  Sucy became my favourite character very quickly.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 08:08:50 AM »
Another sweet anime. I feel is like renegades from Studio Ghibli defected to Disney Studios. The BGM and style has a bit of 50's Disney. With a touch of current Japanese anime with a dash of Ghibli.

Just throw in Loony Tunes as well. Akko moroness is becoming an embarrassment. I find her cross the line from cute and stupid to totally stupid. And that broom was a rocket sledge.

Diana is still a nice girl at heart.

Saucy is THE one. And she got a venous heart to go along with it. Good thing Saucy is Akko's friend.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 01:52:50 PM »
3:

I'm starting to wonder if Sucy happens to be nearly as talented as Diana.

Offline Major Tom

• PYON!

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 03:38:05 PM »
I would agree that if they have Akko going full bore every episode, then it's going to get more than a little grating.  They're going to need some chill episodes to balance out Akko's...passion.  Though I am glad that Akko didn't win the race or get the super broom, hopefully she learns a bit of patience.  I can't even begin to imagine how utterly unbearable she would be if she got both.

Now that we have all the original cast members introduced with Amanda, Jasminka and Constanze (and her amazing motor-broom) appearing, maybe we'll start following the Shiny Chariot thread?

Offline gedata

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 06:50:48 PM »
3:

Hooray for cheating!

Offline Gadget

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 05:57:57 AM »
3:

Hooray for cheating!

You mean sabotage the other racers' broom.
Have a false trail.
Having the bait looks like the baton/bangle?
Modifying your broom during competition.
Not flying but by hopping.
Swapping your broom in mid competition.
Using a nitro powered broom.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All   Go Up