Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

August 19, 2017, 11:39:44 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2016: A Year in Review  (Read 2100 times)

Offline Kaikyaku

• Reviewer

2016: A Year in Review
« on: January 02, 2017, 12:38:22 PM »
Our Year in Review article for 2016 is now up! Let us know your thoughts on the year!

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

Re: 2016: A Year in Review
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 07:24:06 PM »
I am surprised (and pleasantly delighted) by how diverse our Best of 2016 selections are. Then again, many have not seen your name. so :(

Offline gotarist

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 12:27:16 PM »
Sometimes I think people who get too down about the state of anime these days are just watching too much of it. If one were to just drop in at the end of the year and watch the shows listed here, you'd think the industry was responsible for some of the most creative and interesting television currently airing.

Offline SQA

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 02:55:06 PM »
The sheer volume of anime each season, with most of it being utterly forgettable, makes the situation seem worse.  We also had a bunch of the big-names working on movies this year, which shifts matters for the non-Japan based fans.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 07:19:08 PM »
Here's my top 10 list in case anyone is interested... (I included series that ended in 2016 only)

1.) Concrete Revolutio (9/10)
2.) Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinju (9/10)
3.) Orange (9/10)
4.)Akagami no Shirayuki Hime (9/10)
5.) Shounen Maid (9/10)
6) Ushio to Tora (9/10)
7.) Mob Psycho 100 (8/10)
8.) Udon no Kuni no Kiniro Kemari (8/10)
9.) Re Zero (8/10)
10.) Tanaka kun is Always Listless (8/10)

Some honorable mentions go to Boku Dake ga Inai Machi, Fune wo Amu, Yuri on Ice, 91 Days, Planetarian, Flying Witch, Boku no Hero Academia, Shokugeki no Souma, Arslan Senki and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable (All 8/10).

So all in all it was a pretty good year for me with 20 series getting an 8 or above.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 07:50:48 PM »
The list is more or less what I expected to see, with the exception of Flip Flappers not being on my radar. A lot of praise for Re:Zero, Your Name, and Erased, some nods to other shows like Sangatsu and Showa, and a general consensus that this year wasn't the best.

There's a few anime that were standouts for me, which weren't mentioned-for understandable reasons.

First and foremost, the second Kizumonogatari movie was by far the most fun I had watching anime in 2016. Yes, it was dumb and crude at times, but what can I say; my inner teenager ate that junk up. Turns out what I've really been craving is Toothbrush Scene 2.0 extended edition, Hanekawa flavor. Please no judgerino.

The next is Berserk (2016). I grew up with a sh!tty computer, playing old games on the lowest settings, so my perception is probably skewed. But I cannot understand the massive backlash against the CGI and animation. The only word for Berserk's action sequences is badass. The animation, sound design, shot composition, and Berserk's own gritty, gorey nature all work together wonderfully to give every attack weight and danger. The camera sweeps, pans, zooms, and rotates in ways that would explode the budget if animated traditionally. And of course, there's Guts, the man himself. Between his catlike grace, sexy panther purr, overwhelming power, sharp wit, cavalier attitude, and rugged good looks, Guts is by far the coolest character of 2016. My inner teenager is coming out in more ways than one. Admittedly, outside of battle, the trade-offs of the CGI become more apparent; the atmosphere is never as thick and heavy as it should be in a show this dark. Still, some of my most vivid anime memories of 2016 are of Guts butchering some fools while the music crescendos, and I roar a loud "F!CK YEAH!!!!"

Last is the fourth JoJo series, Diamond is Unbreakable. A little hit-or-miss with the characters; sometimes they're the savvy, memetastic badasses that make JoJo infamous, sometimes they're moronic jackasses. And one is a screeching banshee. The pacing is similarly bipolar, varying from breakneck excitement to intolerably slow. Overall, the show is a flawed but wild ride, with a strong finish. Definitely worth a watch if you've got the patience.

The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 12:26:10 AM »
Actually, after comparing anime titles of 2016 with those from 2015, I think the latter was worse. I don't think there's even a show I would give a 9 from that year (although I haven't watched Rokka no Yuusha and Snow White with the Red Hair).

Why didn't I write anything for YIR 2015's article, is beyond me.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 01:03:19 AM »
If it weren't for movies, I'd say this year was decidedly worse. However, the thing with 2015 is that most of the notable shows finished early in the year because they were carry overs from 2014 (Shirobako, parasyte, your lie in april, unlimited blade works).

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 06:22:50 AM »
Oh yeah, now that you've mentioned Parasyte, I really hate carry-overs. Not that I think they're bad; instead, they always get neglected because 1) we can't fully judge them for the current year, and 2) they would be easily forgotten in the new year.

Parasyte would've been my AOTY for 2015.

Offline Delphinox

• The Only Hero That Ever Dies

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 09:51:13 PM »
Reckoner brings up a point about this year's movies that shouldn't be lost in the discussion, since the eligible pool of films taps into 2015 films that were only made available on a wide scale this year: Films did start to come back in a big way these past couple of years, which I wouldn't have imagined given how dire the film scene looked just a few years ago. The increase in volume is open to interpretation, since a significant driver will be films attached to established late-night franchises. Nevertheless, a bunch of 2015's films finally being released on a wide scale did give us a taste of that resurgence this year, and 2016 is more than carrying its weight in turn.

It's unfortunate that international release times are what they are, although I did game that to my advantage this year: Thanks to AX, I get to cheat and use Your Name as my AOTY this year while looking forward to and potentially holding A Slient Voice and In This Corner of the World as candidates for next year - albeit they'll have to compete with 3-gatsu no Lion. The rest of 2017 is going to have at least one big hurdle to jump in that regard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up