Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 12, 2017, 04:48:12 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Dragon Ball Super  (Read 3444 times)

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Re: Dragon Ball Super
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2017, 09:45:59 PM »
91 (or something, I lost count):

I just called Eromanga Sensei stupid, so why am I now posting about Dragonball, which is easily the stupidest written piece of shit of all time?  Well, I guess I kind of expect this to be stupid.  I mean, after hundreds of episodes of Dragonball and Z and even some GT stupidity, I'm not expecting ****ing Shakespeare here now.  I think that there is a certain kind of brilliance to how stupid Dragonball can be.  It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to write such imbecilic plot lines and filler episodes, that I almost have to admit that it takes a genius level intellect to pull off.  So, in irony, Dragonball is actually the smartest manga / anime ever written.

There, that sets the universe right again.

Because, boy do they work hard at stupid in this shit.  Everybody is already spoilered on what is going to happen with Buu and who his replacement is going to be, but beyond that, this episode just oozed stupidity everywhere.  I don't know how much I should be cringing over the battle idol scene, because Toei put so much effort into that you can tell someone there missed making Pretty Cure.  At the same time... yeah I want to ****ing see a magical girl take on these Z fighters.  Why the **** not?  Magic, ain't gotta 'splain shit and all that.  Historically special powers have always trumped "power levels", so sure, have at 'em.  Turn into your pudgy as **** magical girl self and "Befriend" Goku, Nanoha style.  Please!  Make this stupidly interesting again!
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Rei

• Nothing
    • Google+
    • Rei366's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @Rei366

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2017, 02:19:58 AM »
That's harsh, weren't Dragon Ball early chapters "consciously stupid" rather than stupid because of the writing level (who was not this bad, actually, since there were well-timed/called jokes). Not saying it was intelligent.

The PreCure reference: did the people making Super previously work on certain Pretty Cure shows?

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2017, 02:33:09 PM »
No, I think what I mean is how the writers or the original author have to make things illogical and make the characters do stupid or inefficient things just to keep the plot moving.  Or, in this case, to drag out a filler arc as long as possible until the manga catches up to the anime.  That part at the end is precisely apt.  Goku, knowing he needs to get to Mr. Satan's place in a hurry, decides to fly there.  Not instant transmission, fly.  Why?  Because it pads a few more minutes into the next episode watching Goku fly there.  It might also force a distraction on him along the way.

On the other hand, he could just teleport over there and save us all time.  Nope.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2017, 03:37:10 AM »
92:

I mean, Toei spoilered this shit a while ago to anybody paying attention, but it does actually draw up some interest to me.  If you think about it, it makes perfect sense.  Freiza has as much reason to continue wanting to exist as anybody else, though considering his personal Hell he's been going through, maybe nonexistence is preferable.  Makes me wonder why they just don't go the whole nine yards and bust out Cell.  I know, don't give them ideas. They've already busted out every other 'Member Berry.

I'm also not one of those people who usually gives two shits about what gets the fans all riled up and frothing, but even I can't explain away this one.  Retcons are usually pretty stupid, but sometimes they serve a valuable purpose depending on whether the authors use it to do something interesting or cool, or to take things in a new direction.  One of the most iconic moments in any anime history is the initial Super Saiyan transformation by Goku.  It was built up for a long time that someone was going to become a Super Saiyan, but nobody really knew what it meant.  Some images had given us an idea, but it wasn't really specific.  The golden spiked up hair and green eyes, which have become synonymous with amazing accomplishments, has since been over used and pissed on to the point of becoming hilarious.  I mean, first Trunks shows up and does it, but he's from the future, so it makes sense that someone else would learn the technique eventually; then Vegeta shows up after somehow miraculously (read: plot conveniently) becoming one just in time to help fight the androids, but Vegeta was probably always destined for it, so that's okay, too; then Goku trains Gohan to transform, which is also fine because Goku had plans to make Gohan the ultimate weapon, so it works; then things start to get silly with "Full Power Saiyan" and then "Super Saiyan 2" and finally "Super Saiyan 3", because instead of coming up with new and interesting shit, the iconography of the SS transformation was just required; then Goten just "does it" because why the **** not have another Goku offspring do it, and now we're pissing on the legacy of the whole thing.  I'm not going to bother with SS4, because that's GT which is now mostly non canon.

Super hasn't been kind to the Super Saiyan transformation either, what with SS3 being no match for Beerus, now relegating the transformation to the annals of history and forgotten about going forward.  Oh oops, we had to bring it back in Blue form because that's how they transform into God energy without the ritual.  Right.  Okay.  Also, Vegeta, for no ****ing reason whatsoever, is going to teach a Universe 6 Saiyan how to go Super Saiyan, because I don't ****ing know.  Why in the hell would Vegeta give his opponent a chance to defeat him?  Teaching the SS technique to someone else while you're fighting them seems really stupid.  Of course, Vegeta just goes Blue and kicks Cabba's ass anyway, so aside from giving the U6 monkey false hope, what was the point of this again?  Furthermore, why was Cabba there if he wasn't even on par with any of the other fighters who easily stood up to SS form Goku and Vegeta?  He was easily the weakest there, even more than Frost.  Ah **** it.  Now, of course, we get Cabba recklessly teaching other monkeys how to transform as a carrot on a stick to lure them into battle, and from this apparently we're going to get U6 Female Brolly, who is heretofore not canon, but they want to have their cake and eat it, too (Brolly is still not canon, so here's Femm-Brolly!).

And it all comes down to a tingly sensation in the middle of a Saiyan's back.  What in the dog ****ing what?  Wasn't it about unleashing a torrent of anger (Goku at Krillin's death, Vegeta and his rage over being second best, Gohan was trained this way, even Cabba was taught this method by Vegeta, and Goten.... just ****ing did it because why not)?  I mean, the concept of power spots on the body and chakkras isn't unknown to me and the story Dragonball takes a lot of influence from has Indian and Chinese concepts of "chi" behind it, but... what ****ing spot is in the middle of the shoulder blades?  The closest is the chakkra of love which is located in the heart area (appropriately), but SS isn't about love, it is about anger.  Plus the color associated with it is green, not gold.  Gold is associated with the chakkra of power, which is located in the upper stomach area.  How is making your upper spinal column all tingly going to transform you into a golden haired, green eyed monkey?

Ah **** it!

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2017, 12:35:20 AM »
And it all comes down to a tingly sensation in the middle of a Saiyan's back.  What in the dog ****ing what?  Wasn't it about unleashing a torrent of anger (Goku at Krillin's death, Vegeta and his rage over being second best, Gohan was trained this way, even Cabba was taught this method by Vegeta, and Goten.... just ****ing did it because why not)?  I mean, the concept of power spots on the body and chakkras isn't unknown to me and the story Dragonball takes a lot of influence from has Indian and Chinese concepts of "chi" behind it, but... what ****ing spot is in the middle of the shoulder blades?  The closest is the chakkra of love which is located in the heart area (appropriately), but SS isn't about love, it is about anger.  Plus the color associated with it is green, not gold.  Gold is associated with the chakkra of power, which is located in the upper stomach area.  How is making your upper spinal column all tingly going to transform you into a golden haired, green eyed monkey?

It's the same lazy storytelling that ruined Star Wars for a generation, for the story to progress quickly for these side characters we need a simple way of advancing the plot without getting trapped in lengthy exposition or training montages. For Star Wars, they needed a reason for Qui-Gon to bring Anakin along as a potential Jedi, so they quantified his potential as a large Midichlorian count rather than showing us his vast potential throughout the movie (I guess pod-racing took priority). In Super, they didn't want to spend a large amount of time on training the new Saiyans but didn't want to skip it either (to fully introduce Female Broly), so tingly back was introduced (I guess easily resolved stupid subplots like Goku lying about the prize took priority). The more I think about it, the less I'm happy with it.
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline gedata

• gedata's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @https://twitter.com/G3data

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2017, 08:48:38 AM »
Equally baffling is how Cabba is literally the 1st Super Saiyan to exist in his universe despite it being far easier for them to access the form than it was for most of the U7 saiyans. He had no idea the form existed before meeting Vegeta, the guy who at least was aware of some vague legend before being able to go gold himself.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2017, 12:01:13 PM »
93:

And there's Fem-Brolly, who apparently gets awakened not by the power of anger, nor a tingly sensation in the middle back, but by being jealous and pathetically sad.  I don't know what the **** to think about that, or how that is supposed to make me feel about Brolly now.  All I know is that Vegeta's dub quote about Super Saiyanness being a "bargain sale" is pretty ****ing apt at the moment.

Also, Goku really is the worst thing for the universe.  He's easily manipulated into bringing back Frieza because of Goku's insatiable desire to constantly fight strong people.  Goku is just the worst and stupidest character in anime history.

Offline gedata

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2017, 12:16:33 AM »
93:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Really makes you think.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 12:33:55 AM by gedata »

Offline ckarasu

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2017, 11:47:40 PM »
93:

And there's Fem-Brolly, who apparently gets awakened not by the power of anger, nor a tingly sensation in the middle back, but by being jealous and pathetically sad.  I don't know what the **** to think about that, or how that is supposed to make me feel about Brolly now.  All I know is that Vegeta's dub quote about Super Saiyanness being a "bargain sale" is pretty ****ing apt at the moment.

Also, Goku really is the worst thing for the universe.  He's easily manipulated into bringing back Frieza because of Goku's insatiable desire to constantly fight strong people.  Goku is just the worst and stupidest character in anime history.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it impossible to revive Freeza with Earth's Dragon Balls? I recall Dende being unable to fix the whole "only be revived once" clause, and Freeza's already used that one up.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2017, 01:06:09 PM »
You want consistency in Dragon Ball?  Boy are you in the wrong ****ing place.

It could also be a moment of genius on Goku's part, because now he can break his promise without taking the blame.  I don't know if they'll go that far, but whatever.  Maybe they'll use Trunks' healing pow... oh wait that only happens in the manga.

Offline ckarasu

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2017, 03:59:52 PM »
You want consistency in Dragon Ball?  Boy are you in the wrong ****ing place.

It could also be a moment of genius on Goku's part, because now he can break his promise without taking the blame.  I don't know if they'll go that far, but whatever.  Maybe they'll use Trunks' healing pow... oh wait that only happens in the manga.

I want to say that it at least seemed important that Freeza chose the Earth DBs instead of the Super DBs. I don't think they've forgotten that RoF happened, either. But who knows?

I've been enjoying Super, for the most part, but it's clear that old DB(especially OG DB) was the peak of the series. Jackie Chun vs Goku was one of the more fun and interesting fights in the series, and I've yet to see anything top it so far.

Offline gedata

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2017, 12:36:25 PM »
93:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it impossible to revive Freeza with Earth's Dragon Balls? I recall Dende being unable to fix the whole "only be revived once" clause, and Freeza's already used that one up.
If they actually remember that rule and it comes back to bite then that'll make for a good laugh.

Offline Rei

• Nothing
    • Google+
    • Rei366's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @Rei366

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2017, 05:38:28 AM »
I recall Dende being unable to fix the whole "only be revived once" clause.
Didn't he? I was certain that Dende's rejuvenation of the DBs not only expanded the maximum amount of wishes but also removed this limitation, leading to Goku's refusal to be resurrected (I don't have my books with me, but I just checked the anime's first version and it does say that.)

Offline gedata

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2017, 10:39:09 AM »
I recall Dende being unable to fix the whole "only be revived once" clause.
Didn't he? I was certain that Dende's rejuvenation of the DBs not only expanded the maximum amount of wishes but also removed this limitation, leading to Goku's refusal to be resurrected (I don't have my books with me, but I just checked the anime's first version and it does say that.)

He didn't. At least that much was never stated. The dragpm was upgraded for more wishes and that's it as far as we know.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2017, 03:14:36 PM »
Yeah, but the rules of the dragon are funky and weird.  Vegeta has been wished back by the Earth dragon twice.  Once as part of the wish to "revive everyone Frieza had killed", which brought back the Namekians, including the Elder and the Namekian Dragon Balls, and Vegeta.  He was then brought back later by Dende's dragon after blowing himself up to stop Majin Buu.  Actually, I think he was revived twice in the Buu arc alone.  Krillin, and everybody else on Earth, are also killed during Kid Buu's rage, and were all subsequently brought back, even though Krillin has already been brought back by Earth's dragon once (Krillin's second death was reversed by the Namekian dragon).  I'm not sure on Piccolo.  I know he was restored by the Namekian dragon once and by the Earth dragon after Kid Buu blows up the Earth, but while he's gotten his ass kicked numerous times and nearly died in those instances, I can't remember Piccolo dying again.  I know Chaotzu is in the same category as Krillin and I think Tien as well.

Goku was brought back to fight the Saiyans, then didn't die again until Cell, was brought back for the World Tournament by Baba for a day (similar to what they're doing now with Frieza), and then was permanently restored by the Old Kai sacrificing himself to Goku could be restored.  I don't think Goku has died since.  So, yes, they're consistent with Goku, just not everybody else.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up