Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

November 18, 2017, 10:17:06 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The Ancient Magus' Bride  (Read 948 times)

Offline Equilibrium

• Background character

Re: The Ancient Magus' Bride
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2017, 12:25:23 PM »
3. The dream of flying around was beautifully expressed here and i wanted more 5/5

Looking forward to this a lot more now. The OVA was brilliantly told and excecuted but the first 2 episodes didn't hit me that deep. Don't get me wrong they were really good but... i wanted the hit i got from Made in Abyss first episode to go like WHOOOOOOAAA... And it wasn't until this episode i got it so....not complaining here anymore:D

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2017, 02:19:54 AM »
4:

The greatest episode of all time... because of CATS.

It's disappointing to see Chise being the damsel in distress yet again, but now there's an interesting development in her relationship with Elias. It's never really clear what kind of relationship they have, and more so for Elias's fascination towards Chise. Plus, for the record, her being as a Sleigh Beggy has never been explained so Elias has been keeping Chise in the dark since they first met. Why he intends to marry her too, that remains a mystery.

It's clear that Elias doesn't engage in this cleansing ceremony because one, he's 'not good at such things' (my interpretation: dealing with supernatural problems with emotional complications); and two, his specialty lies in shadow. Come to think of it, everything makes sense now.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2017, 10:28:18 PM »
4:

Kitties!

The queen cat (a drop-dead gorgeous orange Maine Coon with heterochromatic blue-green eyes) says to Chise, "What mother fails to protect her own child? It would be unthinkable, at least to me", causing Chise to recall her mother's suicide, and while I am happy that the story has acknowledged that act was a literally unthinkable thing for a mother to do in front of her own child (and therefore I will retract my complaint about it), it still does not explain why she did it.  Is her suicide connected to the Sleigh Beggy?  But if SB is something that powerful and that bad/nasty/evil from mom's POV, then why didn't mom throw Chise out the window? Why herself, and why do it in front of her own daughter?

Then we see Mina and Matthew, who are clearly a loving couple, and yet something dark and nasty appears to be at the center of their relationship. Mina whispers to Chise that she needs to kill both of them "for our sake".  Chise asks herself, "How did they end up the way they did?"  It feels like the answer is somehow connected to why Chise's mom felt the need to jump.  (The title 'Everything must have a beginning' also hints this.)

Renfred calls Elias Pilum Muralis ('wall spear') - a long square pole with two sharp tips carried by Legionnaries in the Roman army that when stuck in the ground helps form a protective palisade around their encampments.  (Presumably it has something to do with Elias' nature?)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 10:33:46 PM by HuuskerDu »
HuuskerDu at FanFiction.net.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2017, 11:30:19 PM »
I would assume it is part of Elias' inhumanity.  He's hard to get close to, or stays guarded.

In any event, I thought the story of Mina and Matthew was obvious.  She's dying, she whispers to her cat if the cat can spare a bit of its life for her, sorcerer in town, all of a sudden Matthew is killing cats.  He was probably fed some bad info, and maybe kept it up in revenge when it didn't work to save Mina's life.  Now it is all darkness and tragedy.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2017, 08:32:47 PM »
5:

So, now that this is over, why is the only thing I'm taking away from this that I don't like Chise's answer?  They asked her if she wanted to be free, and her reply was... utterly pathetic.  Because Elias showed her acceptance and kindness for the first time in her life?  I can understand being skeptical of what these two strangers are saying, especially since one of them is doing so HOLDING A ****ING KNIFE TO HER NECK... but at the same time, that being the reason is just ****ing stupid.  She's acting like a victim of Stockholm Syndrome or some other mental disorder.  That isn't a healthy thing to say mentally or spiritually.  Nevermind that she's only known Elias for a little while, and has experienced first hand what kind of a ****ing weirdo he is, and she doesn't fully understand him or trust him.  Yet here we are, that's her answer.

It is way too soon in the series for her to be confident in staying with Elias.  I would have rather she just said flat out that she can't trust what these people say.  I mean, knife to the neck, crushing a fairy... who would believe these two clowns?  They seem like antagonists, not helpers.  Not liberators.  But for that to be the response.  Blargh.

Whatever.  Episode was brilliant otherwise.

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2017, 08:30:03 PM »
5:

Chise is a very well conceived character, though I think the tone of the show doesn't really convey how messed up her thinking is. She seems to belong in a much darker work than this.

It is way too soon in the series for her to be confident in staying with Elias.  I would have rather she just said flat out that she can't trust what these people say.  I mean, knife to the neck, crushing a fairy... who would believe these two clowns?  They seem like antagonists, not helpers.  Not liberators.  But for that to be the response.  Blargh.

I think you're missing a point here: this girl does not think or behave in a self-preserving way. The dragon explicated that fairly clearly. She sold herself into slavery, and its only a happy coincidence that Elias is so amiable. In some respects that is an act of (at least spiritual) suicide already. She cant be someone's priceless child, so in her mind its only a short step down to be worth an actual sum of money, and be someone's priced slave/wife/etc. She doesn't plan to leave Elias simply because Elias bought her, and that is the contract she entered in. Being confident in staying with Elias was never even the question.

Safety, trust, a future, all that stuff means **** all to her. All she cares about is some notion of value or worth, but she has let her concept of worth become so degraded that she is satisfied with being used: as long as she is Elias' possession, she can be a shiny possession worth 500million pounds, in a very literal sense. It is important that she says "I belong to him" regarding her relationship with Elias, and not something like 'I trust him'. She doesn't really trust him, but she doesn't really care, and she doesnt expect people to understand this distorted sentiment.
The very last sentence "watashi wa itsu shinun darou?/when am I going to die?" strongly (if inconclusively) hints that Chise believes what the sorcerers said. The 'darou' indicates an expectation that her death is going to happen (well obviously it will) but really the placement of the sentence is so obviously designed to insinuate that she believes the sorcerers.

This is why the structure of the episode seems a bit busted. It begins with Chise saying "I belong to him [Elias]" (watashi wa ano hito no mono desu) which is usually an expression of hopeless love in shitty Japanese love songs, but ends with Chise kind of tentatively guessing that Elias might* actually being a good perch. If she made that declaration in the beginning of the episode to mean she was staying with Elias because she trusted him and all that, then there is no reason for her to be ambivalent in these last sentences.

*there is definitely a 'kamoshirenai' in that last sentence.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2017, 07:17:54 AM »
5:

Got to say, even when I could see Matthew/Mina's story from a mile away, the execution and ambiance were magnificent. Even the horror was well-done; even other horror shows couldn't pull off a scene like that.

Too bad though; the show still isn't doing a good job in making Chise anything more than a damsel in distress. I get what she's saying, although it doesn't come off quite right. I still get a hint of Chise's suspicion towards Elias; she trusts him but not wholeheartedly. Then again, Elias hasn't always been that straightforward with her. There's always a secret about him that Chise doesn't know yet.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2017, 12:33:15 AM »
6:

No, I still don't like Chise's attachment to Elias, especially how much it seems to have blossomed into something more.  I know this is a josei manga, so I should be used to this, but **** me.  Anyway, we now know that Elias isn't human after all, well not completely.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2017, 08:01:41 PM »
MAL and Wikipedia list the manga under the shonen demographic.  (I agree it feels more like josei.)
HuuskerDu at FanFiction.net.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2017, 08:20:25 PM »
If this is shounen, I don't know what shounen is anymore.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2017, 06:32:48 AM »
???Huh??
What is so 'Shounen'? Is it because the manga was publish under Monthly Comic Blade, which Wikipedia call it a shounen manga. Looking at the stuff Monthly Comic Blade publish, I think is a mix. But it has more of Seinen or josei stuff. Like Psycho Pass was more josei than seinen. Just because there is a girl an magic does not means is shounen.

Offline gedata

• gedata's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @https://twitter.com/G3data

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2017, 05:40:24 PM »
who gives a shit?

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2017, 05:52:29 PM »
THIS IS ****ING IMPORTANT!  SUPER SERIOUS!  THE WORLD WILL END OTHERWISE!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up