Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

November 18, 2017, 10:21:26 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: March comes in like a lion  (Read 9206 times)

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

Re: March comes in like a lion
« Reply #105 on: October 22, 2017, 05:34:24 AM »
24:

Hmm, a bit more exposure about what's going between Gotou and Kyouko.

Then again, Gotou was painted out as a villain only because it was told from Rei's point of view all along. Gotou does have a point when he questions Rei's place in telling him what's right or wrong. Rei may be looking out for Kyouko for going against Gotou... or was he just looking out for himself?

On another note, it's interesting how Kuma was in the same fetal position as Shimada when the latter was in the tourney with Souya. Seems that perhaps both share a similarity that neither is aware of.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #106 on: October 30, 2017, 06:14:37 AM »
25:

Basically a recap episode.

Don't get me wrong; it isn't officially one per se. Rather, it's a reminder of just how messed up Rei's life has been. A victim of bully at school and an object of envy at his foster home, the guy never has a home to call his own. When such a person has nowhere else to go, he usually immerse himself at work. For Rei, it's shogi. This was already revealed in the first season, but for good measure the episode is refreshing our memories.

Not just that, but also because Rei's gonna confront his inner demons again when Hina has now apparently become another victim of bullying.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2017, 11:27:13 PM »
Yeah, it was more of an episode to set up the parallels that will now form between his and Hina's lives.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #108 on: November 04, 2017, 07:07:29 PM »
26:

Bullying is not a new topic.  As long as there are kids being kids there is going to be some kind of attempt at formations of social structures and orders, with some being ostracized and some being lauded.  This is just how it is, world wide, and has been since the beginning of man.  People have taken stances, formed organizations, done news reports, social media blasts, and all kinds of things, about bullying and how horrible it is, and yet it still goes on.  Because at the end of the day, people are the problem, and people don't change.  Especially younger people, who understand less what the consequences of their actions are than those of us who have seen them.  A thousand years from now, someone is going to bully someone else, and it will be just as tragic then as it is now.

But let us not ignore something here.  Like I said, bullying is just one part of the social structure, the weak are pushed to the bottom.  This is a very primal thing, dating back to our instincts about procreation and survival.  It isn't a coincidence that bullying and social structure building seems to happen more during the pubescent years.  Hormones are running amok, brains are developing more cognizant reasoning and rationales, physical changes bring inequality in form and function, and so forth.  However, what I don't want people to ignore is that bullying is not just a "kid's game".  South Park did an entire episode on this, pointing out the hypocrisy of adults in the world constantly using different bullying tactics to force other people to do what they want.  Whether that be financial influence, legal influence, threats of violence, job termination, school termination, false accusations, or a laundry list of other possible tactics, IT STILL ****ING HAPPENS WHEN YOU'RE AN ADULT.  The oddity of this is that Rei has known childhood bullying, but he has also seen it in the adult world, but he isn't bringing the two topics together.  His step sister is STILL DOING IT.

So I'm not saying that kids are to be forgiven for their behavior what with hormones and adults being shitty examples, but I think maybe before we damn them for things they do, we should analyze just to what levels this problem permeates societies world wide.  At the end of the day it is a struggle for power.  This trio of girls in Hina's class has it, because the other students let them have it, because the other students don't realize that they are the many and the trio is the few.  For what reason do you willingly give up your power to such authority figures without realizing that?  Fear, obviously, but it goes beyond simple self preservation and straight to cowardice.  When you break down a bullying situation, you realize that there are a lot of repugnant, deplorable, and disgusting human beings doing human being things all over the place.  The bullies are power mad psychopaths, the bullied are those who can't stand up for themselves for whatever reason, and the audience looks on as willing participants by proxy because they allowed the power structure to develop without challenging it.  Oh did I just blame the victim?  Sure ****ing did.  I've been the target of bullying myself, and I didn't take that shit.  Easy for me to say, you say?  Sure, I'll accept that.  Not everybody can do what I did, but do not ignore the fact that the reason you are bullied is because you can't.  You're waiting for a hero to protect you, which isn't strength, nor bravery, nor nobility.  You "endure", why?  Because you have no choice.  Enduring pain is unhealthy.  No psychologist on the planet would say that enduring pain is a good thing.  So why is it here?  It isn't.  The kids being bullied are weak individuals.  That's why it goes on.  I'm not trying to turn this into a crusade against the bullied, I'm just ****ing saying.  Ignoring all the facets of a bullying situation is moral masturbation.  In a nutshell, it is the privilege of the strong to hate the bullies, but ignore the rest.

Hina refused to do any of that.  She wanted her friend to be strong, to stop making excuses, and to get help from the teacher or someone who could stop it.  She refused to be part of the audience, sitting there ceding power to these miscreants, and fought back in her own way against the tide.  She laments the behavior of her fellow students, who she views unfavorably now because of all this.  But worst of all was the teacher pushing it aside.  For kids, authority figures are important because they denote the proper institutionalized structure.  They trust cops because cops protect order.  They have to believe that or there is no order.  They trust pastors because they preach morality and ethics.  They have to believe morality is important or the world is actually a horrible place.  They trust teachers to provide a healthy learning environment.  They have to believe that or school becomes chaos and they can't learn anything.  At any point, if any of these authority figures betray that trust, then the child's perception of societal structure crashes down.  African American kids grow up fearing cops because black people have been victimized by police brutality; pastors who rape children show that morality is a lie and there is no true good; teachers who allow bullying allow a toxic classroom to rule the roost.  Work, school, church, in public, AT HOME, the adults need to be more careful of betraying children trust.  Not getting your daughter a pony for Christmas is one thing, neglecting them in their hour of need is another.

Hina is now betrayed by everyone she knows except Rei and her family.  Her teacher, her classmates, even her friend to an extent who was just going to leave without saying goodbye.  Her worldview has been dashed because of a trio of assholes, the cowardice of her classmates, and the institutionalized acceptance of the events.  The cherry on top is that another teacher doesn't even know what happened to her friend (the PE teacher) and the head bitch mouths off even though the girl wasn't even there anymore.  Hina just snaps.

Everyone has a breaking point.  There is only so much evil and betrayal that we can take before a good person of good conscience can be broken.  In the strictest application of the rules of order, she did wrong by attacking her classmate.  However, all things considered, what she did was not morally or ethically incorrect.  The pain of losing a friend, the pain of having her perception of the world tainted, and the pain of having to endure this person, all came out at the same time.  The head bitch didn't distort her view, the failure of the school and the other students did.  The head bitch didn't make the decision to move Chiho to another school, her parents did.  But, when you can't attack the teachers, the other students, or Chiho's parents, you've only got one target left to vent your pain on.  And it is pretty hard to be sympathetic to the target at this point.

But because the school doesn't acknowledge the bullying, because the other students tacitly allow it to happen, and because the trio are the ones in power, Hina's actions are perceived as shocking and wrong by onlookers who have no idea what this is about.  Maybe her assaulting her classmate will trigger dialogue, maybe it wont.  Hina now faces the possibility of being the next victim, and while she's scared, she's still going to fight it.  She can do that because she is a good person of good conscience, and she has a strong support structure in place to keep her head up, focused, and determined.  I think we are all Rei here, because we know Hina, we've come to like Hina, and we want to physically destroy anybody who harms Hina, but while Rei wracks his brain to find something to help her, he is left with an unfortunate reality:  there isn't much you can do.  Outside of doing something utterly heinous, getting directly involved may not help the situation at all.  I don't know what Rei can do to help, aside from just being there for Hina, or following through on brutally murdering some kids.  Like I said, bullying is a world wide problem that spans all of humanity's lifeline.  You can't stop it, the best you can do is drive it underground, where you can do even less to stop it.

I don't know if the author is going to give us an answer here for this situation, and I hope she doesn't, because that would be pretentious as all ****ing hell.

As an aside, this episode was gorgeous and received all the attention an important subject and change to both Hina and Rei's lives deserved.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Online Equilibrium

• Background character

« Reply #109 on: November 06, 2017, 10:36:53 AM »

Just breathtaking... i thought koe no katachi had easily the best depiction of school bullying in anime and the ways it affects the people "not" part of the bullying and the bullies and the bullied ...but this too had everything on point. The visuals were just so vivid and emotion evoking especially when Rei is holding Hinas hand... Only respect for animators, writers and the voice actors for conveing the whole scene in such raw, true and real fashion. It's nice that this kind of a serious issue gets for once... well twice(koe no katachi still) such a beautiful and thought provoking imagery and storytelling.

10/10

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #110 on: November 07, 2017, 05:38:09 AM »
26:

Bullying seems to be a prevalent topic in anime these days. I wonder if this is a deliberate attempt at giving the issue more exposure and trying to reach out to more people. Even if bullying is a universal problem, it just seems to be more pronounced in Japan.

Frankly, although I felt wanting more from the episode because I was hoping to see Rei's solution, I know that the show has done justice in covering the topic of bullying very well.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #111 on: November 12, 2017, 01:20:40 AM »
It's still on bulling. Although no steps has been taken to solve the problem, there was good open heart talk, or as the chapter was title 'confessions'.

Like for once, the ex home room teacher did gave some very sensible advice. Like there is no 'standardized solution' to bulling. Every situation is different, and every solution will have to be different.

And then there was Akari feelings of having failed Hinna. After how gramps 'powerful' encouragement, she seems to feel that she has failed as a surrogate mother. Once again, it was Rei who encourage her. It's like a payback in kindness. It's something like this. Akari care and teaches Hinna. Hinna's took Akari advice and shape her personality. Her personality reaches out to Rei. And now Rei is like a part of a surrogate family. And now Rei, on the kitchen floor, encourage Akari. The story is simple and elegant.

In between Shinbou throws some comedy curves. Unlike some comedy that is straight in your face, it's kinda bland in well. And poor  Nikaidou Issa and Smith became comedy elements.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #112 on: November 12, 2017, 09:50:37 AM »
26: While the episode was powerful, I do feel a lot of the narration was unnecessary. I felt like the first half kind of spoke for itself without Rei explaining all the details. Also Rei's actors delivery could use some work.

27: Probably my favorite episode in the show. Rei was the most funny and likable he has been in the entire series, and just a lot of good moments between him, his sister and Akari.

PS: I especially liked the part where Akari asked Rei how much he weighed, and her reaction implied that he weighs less than her. Gotta love that stuff.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #113 on: November 14, 2017, 07:11:47 AM »
27:

You know, I really wished that the whole conversation between Rei and his teacher would go easy with the comedic bits. Here we are, discussing a grave problem of bullying, and we have to put up with the teacher's goof.

But as much as I was annoyed by him, he made good points. A lot of times when people come to settle bullying cases, they end up fighting for themselves rather than for the victim. Every action carries consequences, and even if one wants to do the right thing for the victim, the consequence may not be the right one after all. And of course, there's no one solution that works for all.

That being said, the problem is far from being solved. They're just recognizing how to approach the problem first.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  All   Go Up