Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

November 19, 2017, 05:14:22 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  All   Go Down

Author Topic: March comes in like a lion  (Read 9260 times)

Offline Gadget

Re: March comes in like a lion
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2017, 02:42:36 AM »
Suddenly, two of the most serious looking shogi players start to behave like immature adults. I guess the dark and serious tone of the last few episodes has been replace by something lighter. Never know that  Shimada can be that childish.

But Kyouko is still a mystery. Does she really love and hate Rei. Does Rei have 'feelings' for her. Rei wanted to challenge Gotou was because of the way he treat Kyouko?

Is having unfathomable girls (eg, Seiren) the in thingy now. It not only split Rei's head, it split my head as well.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 10:24:39 AM by Gadget »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2017, 03:00:28 AM »
I'm waiting to see what the conclusion is between Kyouko and Rei before I make any judgments on their relationship.  I see it right now as resentment (Kyouko) and guilt (Rei) but there is a lot more here.  A lot more.  There have been times I was convinced they were in a very unhealthy, possibly sexual relationship beyond the scope of sibling rivalry / jealousy / pettiness, but then I think about the other things we've seen.  Rei had that moment a few episodes back where he's shouting to the wind that it isn't his fault that his opponents suck, that they all can't deal with their own lack of ability, and that they shouldn't be heaping all these feelings of resentment on him.

At first I thought he was talking about the other shogi players, then I realized all of that applies to Kyouko.  I don't know if he inwardly resents her back for making him feel the way he does, or if he's really troubled that he can't be the kind of person to fix her pain, or both.  Or neither.  Is his hatred for Gotou-kun misguided and misplaced anger?  Over what, though?  That Kyouko likes him and Gotou WONT return her feelings?  That he wont protect her when Rei can't?  Or that Kyouko likes Gotou and Rei can't stand his sister liking someone else?  Does he think Gotou is the instigator and he refuses to blame Kyouko for any of this?  Is this just one of those things brothers do to try to protect their sisters, so that Gotou himself isn't doing anything wrong per se, but Rei looks at the situation as an opportunity to be the "brother figure"?

There's a lot of complex emotions running around here and I don't know what's true and what isn't.  I'm waiting to see how this resolves, because I know more revelations are coming.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2017, 10:30:25 PM »
15:

The Best 2 of 3 match between Gotou and Shimada was highly entertaining. I know that Gotou was originally portrayed as a stoic who seems impenetrable but that's from Rei's point of view. For someone more equal such as Shimada who can give a real challenge, Gotou is forced to show sides of him we never saw before.

At first I thought he was talking about the other shogi players, then I realized all of that applies to Kyouko.  I don't know if he inwardly resents her back for making him feel the way he does, or if he's really troubled that he can't be the kind of person to fix her pain, or both.  Or neither.  Is his hatred for Gotou-kun misguided and misplaced anger?  Over what, though?  That Kyouko likes him and Gotou WONT return her feelings?  That he wont protect her when Rei can't?  Or that Kyouko likes Gotou and Rei can't stand his sister liking someone else?  Does he think Gotou is the instigator and he refuses to blame Kyouko for any of this?  Is this just one of those things brothers do to try to protect their sisters, so that Gotou himself isn't doing anything wrong per se, but Rei looks at the situation as an opportunity to be the "brother figure"?

One thing's for sure, there's a lot of things going on in Rei's mind. For someone who has shown to be highly introspective and deep in thought but naive, it makes things more complex than it already is. There's a chance that Rei feels responsible and wrong that it's a one-sided affair between Kyouko and Gotou (or more specifically, allowing Kyouko to go after Gotou in the first place). I get the feeling that he feels bad that Kyouko's love isn't requited and sees Gotou as the villain... but why is that Rei's problem? Maybe it's because Rei wants Gotou to do something he can't: return Kyouko's love. But that's weird: why vilify Gotou over his own personal agenda?

But on a lighter note, I adore Shimada and Nikaido's relationship. I just find it... well, adorable.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2017, 08:04:33 PM »
15: This was my favorite anime so far, every scene was gold.

Sadly this anime seems to be at its best when its focus is away from the 3 sisters.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2017, 12:11:30 PM »
For an anti social person, Rei have lots of supporters.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2017, 07:44:23 PM »
17: Distance makes the heart fonder is kinda how I would describe I felt when we got to finally see Rei and Akari's family interact again albeit for a brief moment. Granted I do think the show is more interesting when it focuses on Kyouko.

I dunno if I'm gonna be able to wait for a season 2 or take the chance that there will be one by the time this finishes.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2017, 09:49:23 PM »
17:

It's quite a surprise to see Kyouko and Rei behaving like real siblings for a change. At first, it felt weird considering how much tension (and some bad blood from Kyouko to Rei) there is between the two of them. But then, they technically are siblings so it's natural for them to behave that way, even if it's rare for us to see. And Kyouko showing her vulnerable side to Rei in the bedroom? That scene should make us feel sympathetic towards her after all she's been through, but it's still no excuse for all she's done to him.

And on a side note, why are prodigies always portrayed as gods/devils with seemingly autistic behaviors? It always seems like there's a trade-off between exceptional abilities and social behavior but I'm not sure if that's always true. Then again, I have to concede that stereotypes exist for a reason.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2017, 06:27:18 PM »
I don't know. Rei/Kyouko relationship seems a bit more than brother/sister. Kyouko did not treat her real brother in this way. There seems very strong hint of suppress sexual attraction from each other. The unhealthy and destructive type. It's not really 'incest'. It's just legally not permissible.
Article 736. No marriage may be effected between an adopted child, his or her spouse, his or her lineal descendants or their spouses on the one hand, and the parent by adoption or his or her lineal ascendants on the other, even after the relationship has ceased in accordance with the provisions of Article 729.
But in some country and states, it is allowed. So lets stick to Japanese law.

why are prodigies always portrayed as gods/devils with seemingly autistic behaviors?

One name. Grand master Vassily Ivanchuk. Worst than Bobby Fisher.

They are actually people with a condition known as Savant. The most famous would be Kim Peek. The real 'Rain Man'.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2017, 07:00:20 PM »
One name. Grand master Vassily Ivanchuk. Worst than Bobby Fisher.

They are actually people with a condition known as Savant. The most famous would be Kim Peek. The real 'Rain Man'.

Yeah, there are such people. But it's also because shows love to portray exceptionally talented people with autistic behavior as a form of realistic trade-off. Nobody wants to see a character who can do everything, I guess. And I know that even movies would habitually bend the truth and portray such characters as autistic just for that effect.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2017, 01:33:50 AM »
Well, yes and no. It IS the case that a disproportionate fraction of the most brilliant people to ever live are, in a word, strange. I'd guess around a third to a half, which is probably less than popular belief, but obviously a lot more than the same figure would be for the general population.

But yes, in media geniuses are portrayed this way closer to (~80?)% of the time. I feel this is because:

a) Brilliance, in and of itself, looks strange. This guy destroyed me in 20 moves; what is going through his head? Can he read minds? That guy came up with a brilliant theory that changes everything we know about science. It sounds like gobbledegook black magic. From their perspective, what they're doing makes perfect sense, but it looks weird to the rest of us because we're not following the leaps in logic. It's not hard to confuse a genius with a wizard, and then it's a short step to including all the arcane behavior that comes with that.
b) It's hard to fully appreciate just how brilliant a person is, unless you spend a lot of time trying to retrace their thoughts yourself. It's even harder to communicate that same brilliance to the viewer, at least in a direct way. Much easier to play on the audience's preconceptions, have them equate 'weirdo nerd = ultra genius', and save hours of difficult writing. This isn't even a bad thing; if people want to, they can always read papers/watch post-game analysis videos/etc and cut out the middle man.

That said, AC, who is the autistic genius in Sangatsu?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 01:40:28 AM by Marid King »
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2017, 02:16:39 AM »
I think he's referring to Souya, the Shogi grand master.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2017, 05:51:50 AM »
Clearly Souya is made to be the archetypal 'autistic' champion to be beaten, whether or not he is one.

18:

The psychologies in competitions interests me. In particular, this episode is about home advantage and losing streaks. I've never competed in any major competitions so I can't understand what constitutes to home advantage. Is it something physical or, what I suspect, psychological? In the context of football/soccer, I know that your familiarity with the field and even the climate can be a huge advantage. But what about shogi? Is Shimada's pride for hometown the sole factor for home advantage? As for losing streak, it always sucks to not have any momentum to turn the tide.

And I have to give props for Akari's sheer perception. To accurately infer the cause of Kiriyama's current situation purely by looking at that snapshot moment between him and Kyouko... that's incredible.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2017, 07:29:10 AM »

And I have to give props for Akari's sheer perception. To accurately infer the cause of Kiriyama's current situation purely by looking at that snapshot moment between him and Kyouko... that's incredible.

A skill needed working in a club. Beside, the body language between Rei and Kyouko was screaming out loud.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2017, 01:06:31 PM »
Clearly Souya is made to be the archetypal 'autistic' champion to be beaten, whether or not he is one.

The psychologies in competitions interests me. In particular, this episode is about home advantage and losing streaks. I've never competed in any major competitions so I can't understand what constitutes to home advantage. Is it something physical or, what I suspect, psychological? In the context of football/soccer, I know that your familiarity with the field and even the climate can be a huge advantage. But what about shogi? Is Shimada's pride for hometown the sole factor for home advantage? As for losing streak, it always sucks to not have any momentum to turn the tide.

Quick note on home advantage, in general it's nothing to do with the actual game, it's the crowd. When you play on your turf, the crowd will cheer for you, go nuts when you make a great play, and sometimes boo the opposing team. Players draw energy from the support, and it costs the opposing team energy to ignore the fact that no one present wants them to win. Shogi doesn't have a crowd though, so I don't think it applies here.

On Souya, I'd sooner believe he's an ex-KGB agent than autistic. He's just expressionless, which is very different from exhibiting strange behavior.
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2017, 06:10:22 AM »
19:

It's fascinating to see how scarcity can motivate people to go to great lengths at doing what they do. Like the idea of how scarcity in justice drives people to become superheroes, or the scarcity of commodities in poorer countries could give rise to athletes. For Shimada, the scarcity of his hometown - no other kids, no famous landmarks, nothing essentially - drives him to be best shogi player there is so that finally, his hometown has something to show for. That kind of pride (and desperation) is something I cannot personally relate, and hence it's fascinating.

But unfortunately, I would argue that this may be the root cause of Shimada's stomach pains. He claims not knowing whether the creaks were from his bus seats, his stomach or his heart, yet we can safely assume that the root cause that binds all of this is anxiety. I'm not a doctor but judging from his do-or-die situation, it seems to be the only valid conclusion.

And once again, Souya is made out to be this untouchable and surreal sage whom nobody can quite understand. It's admirable to see Shimada still going after even what he thinks is not possible (that is, defeating Souya). At the same time, it's also tragic because we know it may not end well for him.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  All   Go Up