Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

November 19, 2017, 05:06:04 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Kino no Tabi (Kino's Journey) -the Beautiful World-  (Read 705 times)

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Re: Kino no Tabi (Kino's Journey) -the Beautiful World-
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2017, 07:09:32 PM »
Not really. The fact that they actually went through with her laws when they could've just easily rejected them isn't on Kino. It's not her fault that the people she comes across in these countries are extreme representations of bizarre ideas.

Enh.  This is the therapist dilemma though.  If a psychiatrist who is treating a psychopath and knows they're a violent killer leaves a loaded gun on the table and leaves the room, then they're culpable for any deaths that psychopath inevitably causes.  She knew what she was doing with that rule.  Now, maybe only the most bloodthirsty deviants would have gone through with it.  If the guard was any indication, not everybody really liked this shit, and I think that's what her ultimate goal was:  get rid of the pricks so the good people could take over.

I stand by my comment, and the great thing about her character is that she got mad at herself for it.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline hayama

• Reviewer

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2017, 09:30:58 PM »
I liked this episode for difference in interpretation than the original. Sure, it was much more rushed than the only two part episode of the original, but they added nice little details to make it worthy of the revamp. Particularly the result of Kino's decision. In the original from what I remember the characters were blindstruck by her rule, yet the violence that ensued afterward was left out. I liked the track that they played to soften that blow and also further demonstrate the barbarism of the country. And the rocks thrown into the water reminds me of the few moments where they would show Kino to be more than just a passerby. Perhaps she was angry at herself to have ignited such acts, perhaps she was angry at the people to resort to them. This is one of the few moments from the show where Kino lets her philosophies or decisions have an incredible impact on the people around her, and while she may not regret the decision it somewhat goes against her rules as a traveler to not influence the people around her. Given that maybe it would've been better to save this episode for when the character is further developed so newbies could digest it easier, but I don't think that matters that much.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2017, 12:59:50 PM »
3:

Fascinating.  I could go on for hours about that energy reactor and why the people of this country are stupid, but then I realize that the amount of mass that needs to be moved along those treads must take some serious power.  It may not be easy at all to deal with something capable of generating that kind of force.  The thing is, they have to stop every so often to fix the treads or other maintenance and to let travelers come and go, but they couldn't stop for five minutes to talk to the other country and / or provide some kind of restitution for damaging it?  Seems like the concept of "meiwaku", being a bother, was ironically being applied everywhere.  The moving country is a bother to other countries, a bother to its citizens, but at the same time other countries are seen as a bother to the moving country.  It is a weird bit of finger pointing and, as usual, nobody fixing the problem (Kino wasn't judge and jury this time).

In a nutshell, taking this literally works by itself but raises questions, but if you take it all as a giant metaphor or allegory to real world nation states and politics and how they interact with each other, it becomes a lot more obvious that the author was making a point about those who can operate from the bully pulpit. 

Offline gedata

• gedata's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @https://twitter.com/G3data

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2017, 07:04:45 PM »
4:

Another pretty great episode. This one did a good job of establishing how Kino and Shizu's conduct differs when it comes to how they deal with being in new places. Kino prioritizes understanding what sets a country apart without much intereference and that of course ends up with her chilling with the Tower Clan. Shizu gravitates towards seeing how well the people are holding up, and that naturally leads him to believe that the Tower Clan is made up of control freak tyrants.The truth turned out a lot more strange then the cliche narrative Shizu wanted to believe in. The Tower Clan may have been shitty leaders, but you can't expect a collection of chat bots to write good legislation can you?

The allusions to real life come through strong here. People refusing to give up their unsustainable lifestyle because of ignorance and the fact nothing bad has happened yet. It's a lot easier to ignore problems right in front of you when the only solution requires real effort and the threat isn't immediate. As a result, Shizu's desire to rock the status quo only ended with his ideals being rejected by people who are now worse off then before his arrival.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 12:14:55 PM by gedata »

Offline Gadget

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2017, 03:27:57 AM »
It's like one of those old science fiction stories that the colony ship lost it's way and the main computer became the guardian. And the ship slowly became broken down as they people lost the skills for repair and maintenance.

But to some people, order is more important than freedom. This was just like the time Aslan from Arslan Senki (The Heroic Legend of Arslan) when he freed the salves. the salves became angry. In the West, a totalitarian society like in 1984 is always bad. And we must do our best, internally, an externally, to prevent such governance.  And we look to the past like how the 13 colony fought against the British. Or we highlight the situation of North Korea from the asylum seekers. Or how the Chinese authorities are preventing freedom of expression from some artist. But in countries like NK or China, is that what the people really want?

A coin has 2 side, and Shizu only see from one side, and prejudiced by his own experience. While Kino tries to be above all, while experience the country.

Final thought on this. I went to a village in China. The people support the government one child policy. They think the government is doing the best for them. While the people in the city or nearer to the city views are quite different. They have a more 'western' view. As long as people don't get hungry, people will not longed for freedom.

edit:
Sword vs gun. I hoping to see a Cowboy Bebop Spike vs Viscous type fight. But it ended to fast.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 03:42:08 AM by Gadget »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2017, 01:13:55 PM »
4:

This episode felt kind of wonky to me.  I realize info dumps have been a bit of the norm so far, but Hermes at the end there was just cringe inducing.  We never saw Hermes interacting with anybody, unlike in the Colosseum episode, so it just comes off as highly convenient.  I suppose when you give a character a near mute status, though, SOMEONE has to info dump, because she sure as hell wasn't going to.

The ending should have been predictable, but it still got me a bit.  Tifana's issues were a little extreme, but considering her history I guess it can make sense.  Given the single episode format, though, it becomes a little tough to see how she latched onto him so quickly and that they bonded like that.  I don't know.  Like I said, it felt wonky to me.  I still enjoyed it, but the narrative seemed fragile.

Best part of the episode?  Do NOT break your promises to Kino.  In one single scene cut, we go from Kino being interrupted mid sentence of explanation to "I'm here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I'm all out of gum".

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2017, 12:35:12 PM »
5:

One little shorty episode where Kino uses her creativity to right a wrong without hurting anybody and one longer story about how the lies we tell people we think are the truth, in their own way, but that the real truth is a lot more complicated than any of us can ever know, or even lie about.  A woman who lies to her lover in order to live happily, a man who lies to everybody in order for the country to live happily, and a country that lies to a man in order for him to live happily.  There's a certain amount of tragedy to this, and yet at the same time there is a certain defense to the art of lying.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2017, 12:31:01 AM »
6:

Sometimes, all a person needs in life, is a little motorad pragmatism.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2017, 09:16:26 AM »
6:

Sometimes, all a person needs in life, is a little motorad pragmatism.

Not all the time. Baita, the Honda CB400 from Bakuon!! only gave advice on how to get riding license. And how HE was neutered.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2017, 04:40:12 PM »
Hey, it worked.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2017, 06:43:23 PM »
False flag and conspiracy cover up! Where is the Clock Tower city or Historical City's Alex Jones Infowar?

The authority got their ass kick by Kino's master. To save face, they cook up a story. Tell people the lies long enough, it will become the truth. I almost believe the revolt story until Kino pointed out most of the old people has walking issues. I also doubt they story of how they overthrow the previous king story. (And I can just picture  Alex Jones shouting and ranting with his face turn red. An he ends the report by asking people to buy his health products.)

Offline Equilibrium

• Background character

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2017, 07:47:00 PM »

Just the fact that the show acknowledges the fact that the history is an unreliable source of information earns small golf appalaudes from me.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #27 on: Today at 01:47:45 AM »
I thought the story was just as much a lie as the "real" history.  There's no way two people holed up in a clock tower did all that.  Not by themselves.  I don't care how badass Kino's master is supposed to be. The truth is somewhere in between.  Probably.

Offline SQA

« Reply #28 on: Today at 04:04:23 AM »
I thought the story was just as much a lie as the "real" history.  There's no way two people holed up in a clock tower did all that.  Not by themselves.  I don't care how badass Kino's master is supposed to be. The truth is somewhere in between.  Probably.

A very Japanese approach, where none of the observers are truly correct.

Also, it's fairly common historically to make monuments to "victories" that were total losses. As long as your nation is still there after the fact, it doesn't matter how badly you lost, in a few years it'll simply be remembered as the "great victory!".
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up