Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

November 18, 2017, 10:24:05 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: March comes in like a lion  (Read 9207 times)

Offline Stark700

March comes in like a lion
« on: October 08, 2016, 07:21:48 AM »
1:

Ah I loved the music they used for the show already. It has this smooth vibrant feel that connects with the lighthearted atmospheric setting.

The episode introduced Rei, the main guy and there's even a small glimpse of his past. I think Shaft's style works for the show despite my initial impressions of it. The comedy and realism works fine so far, really liked the family feel of the show as well. Pretty good start, can't wait for more. With 2-cour, they can adapt quite a bit from the manga.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: March comes in like a lion
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 02:44:38 PM »
1:

Isn't it wonderful?
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Online Equilibrium

• Background character

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 03:40:27 PM »
Feels weird posting again after a break peeps. Just moved to another country and stuff has been quite hectic. In case somebody shed a tear for my absence or jumped for joy. I shed a tear at least. ;(

Really positively surprised for this show:3 I hope the character development actually happens during the show because this was a strong start for a show in a relatively bland season so far. Something to really look for next week well, apart from JOJO.

BTW Both OP and ED were just <3
Bump Of Chicken apparently just makes good stuff. Haven't forgotten Kekkai Sensen OP yet. LOVED THAT STUFF.

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • samui26's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 10:58:30 PM »
1:

Just say my negative bias towards a non-Monogatari Shaft is too strong, yet the show itself is quite okay. Not that hot with the animation techniques though. Moreover, I still have a what if in my thoughts whether JC Staff could have handled the humor much better.

Nonetheless, it's one of the best premieres so far.
I am not sure if good animes are getting fewer these days or my taste has gone numb because most of what I watch recently look the same.

Oh, another shameless plug. Here's my blog: http://samui26.wordpress.com

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 01:38:50 AM »
1:

Man this slipped under my radar. The mangaka is the one who made Honey & Clover!? I'm so in. Premiere did not disappoint, this could be the dark horse of the season and maybe even year.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 04:16:51 AM »
1:

Oh Chica Umino, how I have missed your storytelling.  TAKE ME YOU LITERARY SLUT!  TAKE ME DOWN YOUR STORYTELLING PATHWAYS AND MAKE A MAN OUT OF ME!
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline SQA

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 06:29:37 AM »
1:

Oh Chica Umino, how I have missed your storytelling.  TAKE ME YOU LITERARY SLUT!  TAKE ME DOWN YOUR STORYTELLING PATHWAYS AND MAKE A MAN OUT OF ME!

That escalated quickly.  :P

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 08:37:23 AM »
1:

I feel the same way as TIF~

This was the anime I've been waiting for all these years!

Offline MCAL

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 03:23:15 PM »
1:
There's been an increasing amount of stuff I've seen that deals with characters dealing with depression. Certainly not easy to watch, but still incredibly good.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2016, 06:35:55 PM »

Are you implying I have a floor to escalate from?

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2016, 08:31:38 PM »
Looping thoughts, poor appetite, not caused by current events (he's winning). Now that is the real deal.

I could swear those cats are mine.
HuuskerDu at FanFiction.net.

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2016, 09:31:10 PM »
1:

I mean, it was amazing and all, but I still dont know exactly what it was that's been killing Kiriyama inside.

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 06:15:07 PM »
1:

First thoughts: I REALLY want to rewatch Hikaru no Go.
First and One Half Thoughts: Murder-mystery elements? Imma follow  that HnG rewatch with Shion no Ou.
Take Away: This would make one hell-of-a Eroge.

Between this and Yuri on Ice, assuming they maintain their level of quality, I am content with this season.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2016, 12:47:51 PM »
2:

This is the kind of flashback I like. Natural, tied into what's happening in the present, shows who the characters really are, and hardly any exposition. It's easy to see why Rei's attached to the three sisters.

Offline Pebble

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2016, 06:32:46 PM »
2:

Oh so this is what this is about. Well, some of it, at least. My guess is that his adoptive guardian ("Father") started him on Shogi and the two girls in the photo were his daughters.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2016, 11:29:13 PM »
I thought this was a serious drama of a dysfunctional shogi talent. But it seems the other hard core shogi players are just as dysfunctional.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2016, 12:26:53 AM »
2:

Everybody needs family, even if you don't realize how much you need them.  I was waiting for the other shoe to drop on Akari, and a bit of it did here.  We know now that she's in a business that isn't exactly wholesome, but she does what she does because that's the sacrifices she makes for her family, and that she's probably the one hardest hit by their losses, but she'll never show it.  She's the strength, the symbol of pure matriarchy, but she's also the one who will need someone stronger than her one day.  You can only hold so much, and everybody needs family.

There's a lot of very subtle things in this show that I adore.  Even the grandpa muttering about tradition is appreciated, because it doesn't present tradition in a negative nor positive light, just that it is what it is, and that's how it should be.  Lots of little bits of philosophy cropping up here and there.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2016, 09:19:40 PM »
3: An episode to make you smile at a well done rivalry and an episode to make you hurt without shoving it in your face. I'm glad Shaft isn't overdoing it with the visuals or any artistic techniques that they've used previously.

The scene with them all staring at the burning fire is definitely my favorite all year. So many mixed emotions all present in a short amount of time without even saying a word.

Offline Pebble

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2016, 12:33:51 AM »
Yeah SHAFT is showing a surprising amount of restraint here. Still, it seems quite a few manga fans are salty about the adaptation. Not sure why. Maybe they wanted more Tatsuyuki Nagai.

I read the chapters the anime has covered so far, and it is quite faithful, but the anime actually removes a very small number of lines from the manga that make some things we could have inferred rather obvious.
My scanlation may have been trash though. Dont take my word on it.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2016, 05:46:28 AM »
I don't worry too terribly much about it being faithful, though I could read the original japanese and look that up (As honestly things are always lost in translation to a degree, but it's no biggy if you ask me).

To me, it's a very enjoyable show though and it would make me want to read the manga if it's not planning on having any more seasons after this. Which I think is the most important thing in the long run.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2016, 09:01:27 AM »
4:

One thing that works for and against Sangatsu is that they don't really get deep into Shogi, and focus on the experience of playing instead. It dodges a ton of exposition and keeps things running smoothly, but on the other hand, you miss out on that learning experience. Imagine if this was the next Hikaru no Go on top of everything else.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2016, 07:01:41 AM »
1~3:

Holy crap, this season is really starting to look up.

I'm mesmerized by episode 1 simply for one reason: the muted scenes. There's something truly beautiful about such scenes: it's a very raw storytelling approach that removes all auditory distractions, leaving behind scenes that are open for viewers to see. And that's the beauty of it: viewers don't have to listen. They don't even just watch; they actively observe and interpret what's going on. I wrote an article on BtNHRV explaining this, and was blindsided by how this show reminding me why such scenes are amazing. Guess I can add this show to the list now.

During the muted scenes, so many questions came to my mind. Why is Kiriyama living alone? What happened in his life that made him live in such a state? Who are those two people next to Kiriyama in his past? Why are the three sisters, especially Akari, helping a stranger like Kiriyama and even letting him into their house? Where are the sisters' parents?

And this is where the narrative steps in: it raises questions but they are never explicitly answered. We are offered hints instead: Kiriyama earning money from winning matches and having his own place despite being a minor, yet having no family in sight suggests that they either passed away or had a bad fallout. The 3 sisters living only with the grandpa, welcoming Kiriyama home for no apparent reason and Akari doing something reminiscent of the past suggest that they too lost their parents (literally or physically).

And if anyone needs an undisputed conclusion on top of the logical assumption of their parental loss, then the following scene seals it:

Spoiler for Hiden:

It's less than 5 seconds long but the poignant effect is everlasting. And yes, it's also muted. Can't explain further why muted scenes can be amazing; the show is illustrating it flawlessly.

I can see the strong resemblance to Honey x Clover. Both are created by the same person, and it's obvious how both have similar narrative styles. But personally, I don't compare the two. They only have the same look and feel but they they are still two different shows. Story and narrative-wise, I am drawing parallels with another show instead: Shigatsu Kimi no Uso. Both essentially share the same DNA: they are melancholic stories with several light-hearted moments, the melancholy stemming from the protagonist's personal background. The protagonists both have miserable pasts, and that color their respective stories, with the light-hearted moments in each show serving to counter the mood. But there is a big difference between the two shows: Shigatsu has a bad habit of breaking tension for no good reason. Sangatsu knows where to slot in a happy moment in an otherwise sad story without ruining the mood.

And I have to applaud Shinbo here. I have been less than fond of his work recently because his animated antics (the Shaft Head Tilts, the comical character deformities, etc.) have been over-indulgent in a number of his shows. In fact, I'm less excited to watch any upcoming Monogatari series because of it. Here however, I can sense that he's toning them down and keeping them minimal, and most importantly, purposeful. Every scene carries a meaning, from Akari's soothing facial expression when lighting a mosquito coil to Nikaidou's exasperated look when competing against Kiriyama. It's as though Shinbo realizes his mistakes and tries to amend them.

I can go on further gushing about Sangatsu but it would be too long. In fact, I feel like I'm already writing a review of the show despite watching just 3 episodes! In short, if Fune wo Amu is the dark horse of this season (as I mentioned before), then this may be the leading champion that other shows need to beat. It's a contender for Anime of the Season if it keeps up the effort (maybe even the Year). Still 21 more episodes to go!

And yes, I want to kidnap the cats. And Momo.

Offline Pebble

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2016, 07:11:49 PM »
4:

So this flashback girl. She's named Ayumu or Kyouko. Not sure what the deal is, but its the most intriguing thing so far.

Also I liked the bit in which Hanaoka buys sweets from the family store and brings them to Akari et al's house.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2016, 09:10:34 PM »
4:

There's going to be some speculation about the scene with the mysterious girl on top of Rei in the flashback, and whether he was raped. Very mild spoilers below.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The scene is meant to be ambiguous. It's definitely not impossible Rei was forced into something, but I don't think he was. The girl does care about him deep down, and I think it more likely she was just teasing him and making him uncomfortable. I interpret the flashback as showcasing how their relationship is very raw and unhealthy, not as hinting to trauma. But all this is just me, and I haven't fully caught up to the manga.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 09:57:27 AM by Marid King »

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2016, 05:57:15 AM »
4:

Lighthearted episode. How nice.

Seems like humor is a hit-or-miss for this show, based on what I've been hearing from some people. Fair enough; humor itself is pretty much a hit-or-miss. It's very difficult to understand what good humor even means and what qualifies as such. Here is such episode that illustrates how one humor style doesn't work for everyone.

For me? I liked Sangatsu's humor. I've always thought the cats are cute and the witty interaction between the sisters in chapter 7 was effective. Sure, the SHAFT-style scenes has a mixed outcome but it doesn't bother me. Most importantly, the humor doesn't break the tone and ambiance of the scene/episode (Reckoner mentioned this in a chat). Chapter 8 may be fluffy in overall but I still feel good afterwards.

It's a heart-lighted episode altogether, so humor is a given (except for that one particularly dark scene in Kiriyama's memory... intriguing stuff. What's that all about?). Showing fanservice in the middle of a dead-serious scene... that's 'breaking tension'. This show doesn't do that; it's fully aware of how and where to slip in a gag or two. Balance is key, and Sangatsu is getting it right.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2016, 11:15:15 AM »
It seems that some people consider chess players some what eccentric. Especially Bobby Fisher. To some extent, some of the grandmasters can be a bit odd. I know this as one pf my friend likes to read to me some of the chess masters behavior.

Odd as it may be, Rei's behavior is more realistic then some of the anime's characters. Think of all the odd balls, moes, lollies, harems, fujoshis, emo screamers, the gang from The Lost Village, and many more types of  people we have been watching. Rei's and the  Kawamoto sisters are not typically normal. But they are believable.

And an in house explanation why Akari look after Rei. Is to make him 'fat and fluffy'. To take in 'strays' means either that person got great compassion, or something happen in the past to trigger this behavior.  But I could be reading too much. The answer could be for comedy.

And as for AC's article on silent, I would like to add the greatest impact on silent and no movement was from Neon Genesis Evangelion. This was just before Shinji kill Kaworu. It was more then 20 years ago, and I still remember the silent. (Good on you Hideaki Anno for that mind rape.)

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2016, 06:12:13 PM »
And as for AC's article on silent, I would like to add the greatest impact on silent and no movement was from Neon Genesis Evangelion. This was just before Shinji kill Kaworu. It was more then 20 years ago, and I still remember the silent. (Good on you Hideaki Anno for that mind rape.)

Now now, we all know that NGE's greatest muted scene was one that involved Shinji's right hand.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2016, 01:04:40 AM »
4:

KanaHana and crying is like having your ears pierced by a zebra dick.

I have no idea what that metaphor means, except that KanaHana sucks at crying.

Offline Netu

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2016, 08:53:33 AM »
I think the music makes the show much more enjoyable.
I used Wartrol from https://www.scidacreview.org/wartrol-review-results to get rid of my wart.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2016, 12:01:40 PM »

Now now, we all know that NGE's greatest muted scene was one that involved Shinji's right hand.

lawl. I'm not sure the quiet scenes in NGE are what I would classify as good. They didn't really have much tension behind them and felt more like padding. I like NGE and all but those moments felt more awkward then anything.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2016, 03:01:52 PM »
Oh, I don't know.  The elevator scene with Rei and Asuka was wonderful, even if it was padding.  You know Asuka doesn't like Rei, and she's frustrated already, so the last person she wants to see in the cab during a long elevator lift is the latter.  It was tense only insofar as you had no idea who was going to say something first, but once someone did, the fireworks were going off.  And they did.

To this day, I'm not at all surprised it was Rei who said something first, but it does raise a question of why she took so long to say something.  Rei is not someone who usually notices someone's emotional state, so she doesn't strike me as the kind of person who would be fearful of saying anything nor calculating enough to wait for the right impact.  Plus, she just blurts out exactly what Asuka didn't want to hear without any sugarcoating.  So why did it take that long?

One of Eva's great mysteries...

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2016, 05:06:34 PM »
Yeah then they tried to put the same scene in the movies and expected it to work...hah.

I'm more mentioning scenes like the Kaworu ending, Misato's offscreen moaning, lots of random staring and the like.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2016, 11:16:04 PM »
 I think Evangelion is very creative with its direction, and for its time it is pretty risque in how it went about it. One of my favorite episodes in the series is either episode 4 or 5 where Shinji is roaming around town by himself without any dialogue. So much emotion and characterization captured. Silence can definitely be put to great effect. Too many anime just tell you their character's feelings and thoughts.

Rebuild is a giant piece of turd though.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2016, 03:48:50 PM »
5:

This is the episode that completes the picture of Rei's world. It's freezing cold everywhere, except in the Kawamoto's house.

Offline Pebble

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2016, 09:58:07 AM »
5:

Visuals were maybe a bit overdone.

Offline Sidenote

• Troll

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2016, 03:39:32 PM »
5:

This one felt especially Shafty. I dunno why. Just felt like a lot more head tilting and geometrical objects etc.
Hunter X Hunter really isn't that good, guys....

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2016, 03:31:57 AM »
5:

Jesus Christ, I knew Rei's childhood was ****ed up, but I had no idea to what level.  One day, he's going to have to let go of his pain, and that'll only happen when he realizes that the situation with the adopted household was not, and never was, his fault.  Whatever guilt he feels about what happened there, and the continued guilt he feels over loving his adopted father despite it, will consume him.  That's the irony here.  He believes that he's a cuckoo offspring, consuming and destroying the family from within, when in reality, the family was the one destroying him.  The father, attempting to live vicariously through his children, instead tries to put those ideals on Rei.  The sister, struggling for her father's approval, loses it to someone else and resents him for it.  The son, too young to understand anything, withdraws from the world rather than try to face it.  Rei is not the cause, he's not even the catalyst.  If it weren't him, it would have been another.  He is a coincidence in a ****ed up family, and a casualty of that same ****ed up family.

The bullying, the death of his sister which seemed to hit him harder than his parents, the repugnant family, the destructive adoptive family, and shogi, which has now become an object of his obsession for the wrong reasons, which has also created tension for him with his opponents, more guilt and more despair, all make up the calamity of a tragic soul.  The Kawamoto's are his salvation, but he's afraid to open up, to allow salvation to happen, because he doesn't think he deserves it, because he's afraid of a repeat of the previous family, and because it forces him to deal with his secret hatred of shogi.

GOD I ****ING LOVE YOU CHIKA UMINO!

Offline Pebble

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2016, 06:49:05 AM »
Wouldnt say Koda was living vicariously through his children since he was a relatively accomplished high-tier shogi player. The rest holds, except I dont think Rei hates shogi. He just feels like he doesnt like it enough to let it consume him as it does.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2016, 07:32:14 AM »
5:

This show hasn't failed to amaze me with every episode.

Notice how the episode, made up of two episodes, gradually descended from lighthearted to depressingly dark. We finally understand just how messed up Rei's childhood was. He's just way too unfortunate to experience just about all the worst things that could happen to a kid: lost his family just like that, being taken away from his home (his only haven in his life, which takes a psychological toll on any kid, more so for one who is bullied everywhere else), and now this.

You know it's terrible when Rei has to feel guilty for a situation where everyone (even himself) loses. You may say that his 'father' is the cause of all this, but it's all about the environment. Worse thing is, Rei could never blame him at all after being taken into the family. Shogi is nothing more than a gift and a curse at the same time for him.

And if you think the story's amazing, I haven't even covered about how Shinbo's artistic style is actually making this show work. Shinbo and Umino seems to be a match made in heaven.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2016, 04:09:23 PM »
Wouldnt say Koda was living vicariously through his children since he was a relatively accomplished high-tier shogi player. The rest holds, except I dont think Rei hates shogi. He just feels like he doesnt like it enough to let it consume him as it does.

Koda has a hard time beating Rei, and his children can't compete.  The money quote was the ironic statement where Koda couldn't beat Rei's dad, so Koda is using Rei as his own accomplishment.  The first thing Koda asked Rei at the funeral was whether he liked shogi or not.  I'm not saying Koda wouldn't have taken Rei in if Rei's answer was he negative, because it was obvious Koda was disgusted with the Kiriyama family in general, but by answering the affirmative, Koda got to have his cake and eat it, so to speak.  Asking Rei to call him "father" is almost sick, in this regard, and I can't blame the daughter for being irate.

It is clear that Koda has plans for Rei and Rei knows it and ran away from it.  Shogi is he only way Rei can continue to stay independent, but shogi is also a source of pain for him in other ways.  It isn't something he "loves" and if he did, he would deny it.  It is his suffering but it is his necessity.  It is hard not to resent something when it is both your job and a source of painful memories.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2016, 06:18:00 PM »
Perhaps the biggest tragedy is how shogi, which was Rei's source of solace, is now his source of income and source of unhappiness. Calling his thoughts and feelings towards shogi as mixed is putting it mildly.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2016, 07:51:23 PM »
6:

It's clear that his family situation is very complex (or f**ked up, if you will) but in this episode, it's clear that Kiriyama's character is equally complex too. Not only is he very reflective in nature - introspective in a way - but since he's the melancholic type (arguably as a result of his circumstances), it makes his emotions all the more intricate. He claims he doesn't care about winning, yet losing devastates him. Even when he achieves something, he doesn't feel that he's done himself any favour. Because he can't emotionally make peace with himself, whatever he does, he just can't be happy.

Another interesting side topic being highlighted is how sportspeople invest so much time and effort in their fields that it's scary. There's is a lot of such people in real life who's at loss in their lives after passing their prime, and sports is something that's not easy to branch out after one's active years.

And here's the ironic (and amusing) part: Kiriyama and baseball guy meeting up face-to-face. Both are sportsmen, mind you, and Kiriyama fails to recognise himself as one. He's just not one in the traditional physical sense such as baseball.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2016, 11:10:47 PM »
Stay for the ED. It teaches how to play shogi using animated cats. I think Nikaidō explanation is meow fun.

Rei may have lots of issues. But in this episode, he got blessings as well. As this was from his POV, sometime we only see hints of it. Like how he was admired by people whom he admired. And his problems and his dislike of shogi makes him blind  to the bigger world. And since misery is his long companion, I think he may forgotten what is happy, expectation and joy. To him, it's a light fluffy thing in the stomach. And the light fluffy thing comes out again. This was mention as Akari likes to make things fluffy. Not to make them literal fat, but to be happy.

I find it funny that everyone know the solution to Rei's problem. And Rei could not see it. The Kawamoto sisters has been trying to take care of him. And it takes recorded shout feast to get him to understand.

The actress that will be acting as Akari is Kana Kurashina. Don't know who she is, but she's

Offline Sidenote

• Troll

« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2016, 08:53:53 PM »
7:

Glad gadget liked the ed too. was cute

That scene about 6 min in, when rei is talking to kakashi, and he gets this wave of relief because he actually talked about his problems for once. That was really well done; not a very common interaction handled quite naturally.

Rei may have lots of issues. But in this episode, he got blessings as well. As this was from his POV, sometime we only see hints of it. Like how he was admired by people whom he admired. And his problems and his dislike of shogi makes him blind  to the bigger world. And since misery is his long companion, I think he may forgotten what is happy, expectation and joy. To him, it's a light fluffy thing in the stomach. And the light fluffy thing comes out again. This was mention as Akari likes to make things fluffy. Not to make them literal fat, but to be happy.

Interesting to see how the child of God has both his blessings and curses to deal with.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 11:52:19 PM by Sidenote »
Hunter X Hunter really isn't that good, guys....

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2016, 06:01:25 AM »
7:

Just like Majime in The Great Passage, Kiriyama is showen to be yet another true introvert. Socially inept, has introverted hobbies such as playing shogi and studying, and most important of all, keeping his emotions to himself. The meeting with Takahashi is a blessing in disguise. Takahashi basically connected with Kiriyama because of their common sentiments towards their respective sport... in other words, because they're both sportsmen.

I wonder if Kiriyama has ever lost his cool previously. After all the problems he's faced, I'm pretty sure he has a lot of frustrations and emotions bottled up inside him.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2016, 09:44:33 PM »
8:

Interesting how the forth and back movements aren't the same for Silver and Gold Generals respectively. Seems more complicated than chess.

Kyouko's appearance takes the cake in this episode. Every quote from her reeks of spite and contempt; she really hates him for everything that has happened in that house. But one thing piques my interest: who is Gotou? I know he is Kyouko's boyfriend at least, but really, who is he? How is he affiliated with Kiriyama is the main question to be addressed, and I really need to know.

It's really difficult to pinpoint the root behind one's passion. Whether Kiriyama's passion for shogi is comparable to Nikaidou's is debatable; it's no question how Kiriyama's past affects his passion. Kiriyama's claim not to care about winning could be the result of apathy towards the game after all he's been through. Whereas for Nikaidou, we have no idea what kind of relationship he has with shogi; it could very well be one where he simply loves it and everyone around him is supportive of it.

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2016, 07:10:30 PM »
Interesting how the forth and back movements aren't the same for Silver and Gold Generals respectively. Seems more complicated than chess.

I've actually been trying to pick up on how to play the game and it seems like the reason that they have different movements is because of their purpose on the board. The silver general is meant for early game offense since it can move through pawns easily and retreat if necessary, while the gold general is used to defend the king because it basically can't retreat. Of the two, the gold general is significantly better, since it leads to most checkmates by dropping it on the board and by virtue of all the pieces besides rook and bishop (including the silver general) turning into a gold general when promoted (because of said checkmates).

...And this is why my grades in law school are going to suck this semester...
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2016, 06:36:44 AM »
I think to make shogi fun, we should play like shogi like in Tonari no Seki-kun. That is even more drama, with love and betrayal.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2016, 04:54:41 AM »
9:

I want to me Mr. Matsunaga in 40 years.  Only more perverted.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2016, 05:38:11 AM »
9:

I can't imagine what it's like to be at something for 40 years. It's very admirable, and I'm not sure if I have it in me to dedicate that kind of time to a single profession.

The narrative is gorgeous. I have a soft spot for multiperspectivity: simple yet effective, it shows how Kiriyama (and us, after all) thinks he knows what's going on when he doesn't. I feel really good watching this episode.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2016, 05:09:36 PM »
9-10:

Two slam dunk episodes, both for humor and for drama. I loved how they played the low strings during the match with Yasui the first time through, to make the game somber and heavy, then strip that away as they show he's really just weak.

It was a clever idea to run the same conflict by Rei twice, and have him make the same choice twice. The hesitation and doubt double for the viewer the second time through, so when Rei doesn't falter, it gives his character much more strength and conviction.

Sorry gents, but no one is paying to watch scrubs.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2016, 09:30:57 PM »
10:

Have to give props for this episode. The sheer muteness of the ambiance is deafening.

Seem like every shogi match is not just a match to decide who is the victor/loser, but a test for Kiriyama to confront his past and himself. It's the same thing this round, although the consequences are a little different. And of course, Kyouko is the devil's advocate who subtly(?) hints at how vicious Kiriyama really is at heart despite his kind demeanour. And you know that everything she says carries an undertone referring to their not-so-blissful childhood.

It's very tempting to claim Kyouko as despicable, yet feel sorry for all of this. It's just the messed up result of the action by one father who favours an outsider and not his own kids. In fact, in life a lot of people gets messed up because of parental rejection. It's simply tragic.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2016, 10:00:54 PM »
9-10:

What I like about these episodes is how it's a test of growth for Kiriyama as a player. He has to get past feeling sorry for his opponents if he wants to grow. I really loved how the emotion of the moment is captured in the scene Yasui swipes away the Christmas present. You could feel how hurtful it was and the raging emotion inside Kiriyama just boil out. Excellent.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2016, 11:35:21 PM »
I can claim Kyouko as despicable, because she is.  Her contempt for Rei is not even subtle and her attempts to sabotage his matches through emotional and sentimental manipulation is just a reflection of her own pettiness.  Her fight is with her father, not her adopted brother.  Though I understand sibling resentment is a thing and is inherently illogical and irrational, she still makes the choice to direct her ire on the wrong target.

This gets more complicated because I think she realizes that Rei harbors feelings towards her.  Whether those feelings are simply sibling concern or some kind of perverse (to a Japanese anyway) romantic love for one's sibling I can't say, but it is there.  He hates her boyfriend and not just because of what the boyfriend did to him, but because of what Rei is afraid he will do to her.  Not necessarily jealousy.  Any respectable brother would hate an abusive or potentially abusive lover of their sibling.  She rubs everything in his face:  his feelings, her feelings, their father's feelings, and she takes great joy in the distress it gives him.

One day he is going to check her for her behavior, and that will be one uuuuuuugly moment.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2016, 07:06:31 PM »
10:

#Kyouko

She is the best
Now say it to her face.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2016, 10:15:43 PM »
Honestly, her sabotage attempts might be more benign than some of the stuff Kyouko used to do when they were kids. I actually think Kyouko knows Rei well enough that the attempt isn't so much to put him out of a job, as to make him face the cold-blooded, desperate-to-survive aspect of himself, which she resents for upstaging her place in her family. She knew he'd go through with the win and just wanted to make him upset.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 10:35:45 PM by Marid King »

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • samui26's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2016, 06:52:47 PM »
1 - 10:

I am going to be the party pooper and say I hate what Shaft did to this show. Sure, the gorgeous moments (Rei's breakdown on episode 9 is Fall 2016's just wow... scene) but why did the studio decide to adapt this panel per panel to the extent the talking cats and the exaggerated chibi sequences were highlighted as if these are just as important as Rei's character writing? Talk about mood whiplash. That felt really jarring to be honest.

Moreover, I think I'll forever hate the sound effects they chose which they still think are funny.
I am not sure if good animes are getting fewer these days or my taste has gone numb because most of what I watch recently look the same.

Oh, another shameless plug. Here's my blog: http://samui26.wordpress.com

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2016, 10:27:52 PM »
11.5:

Ze Recap Episode.  Just letting you know you can avoid it if you need to.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2017, 06:01:56 AM »
11:

Nothing much happening in this episode... probably serves as a relief since we're on the halfway point of the series. But I'm surprised that Aunt Misaki didn't mention anything about Akari working at her bar because she has to support the family. Maybe she's aware of that and chose not to speak about it, I dunno.

And I'm skipping 11.5.

Offline Slashe

• Reviewer
  • The Medic in a Dress

« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2017, 08:28:56 AM »
1 - 10:

I am going to be the party pooper and say I hate what Shaft did to this show. Sure, the gorgeous moments (Rei's breakdown on episode 9 is Fall 2016's just wow... scene) but why did the studio decide to adapt this panel per panel to the extent the talking cats and the exaggerated chibi sequences were highlighted as if these are just as important as Rei's character writing? Talk about mood whiplash. That felt really jarring to be honest.

Moreover, I think I'll forever hate the sound effects they chose which they still think are funny.

Thank you. It's basically what I've been saying the entire time. Glad to find someone that agrees with me. *weeps silently for its inclusion in AotY*

Offline Marid King

« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2017, 01:25:06 AM »
Of all the things to complain about, you don't like the cats?!

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2017, 01:29:02 AM »
Meh, these are kind of nitpicky complaints.  As long as the story comes through, who gives a damn what fluff Shaft decides to put in.

Offline Pebble

« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2017, 08:18:39 AM »
The 'bad adaptation' viewpoint is a bit underrepresented here. I for one am curious about what irks people so much about the adaptation (and something does) only I havent been able to find any places where people dont treat their complaints as being basically self-evident and actually go through the trouble of explaining whats going so wrong.
At times I get the feeling that some people just liked the manga too much, to the point where they treat every small adaptation chioce that irks them as being a monumental betrayal of the artistic vision of the manga.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2017, 08:52:52 PM »
People complaining about this being a bad adaption obviously haven't seen shit like the Rewrite anime lol. Let's actually have a measured perspective on these kinds of things.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2017, 09:51:07 PM »
There are some gripes I have with the adaptation. The manga had a muted, watery beauty to it, which is shattered by some of the over-the-top artsy scenes, or Nikaido screaming at the screen at full volume.

The cats are the least of my problems with the show, in fact I hold that they're like, totes adorbes.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2017, 08:43:06 PM »
I rather judge the anime as it is. I didn't read the manga and most unlikely I going to. (not enough time) It does has a slow style to the story telling. It's like some slow and long fermented liqueur.

New op and ed. Another 12 episodes? We are seeing another contradiction in Rei's life. A modern apartment, but it's cold and empty. Or a old house, that is full of warmth and life. And for Rel to survive (from his point of view) he cannot be 'alive'. He has to be a shogi playing machine. And he make his choice. That what makes it so sad for Rei.

In a flash back, we understood that he plays shogi so that Koda will adopt him. And Koda's treatment of his children makes him 'hates' shogi even more. Then we see he needs to play shogi to be 'alive'. And he clings to this world view.

Goto is what i see him to be. But the dark mood has an instant flip with the appearance of the Chairman. It seems that it switch from dark and serious to light comedy in a flash. It makes the contrast smack in your face.

But why do they have to portray top shogi players are eccentric like Bobby Fisher. I think Magus Carlson is pretty normal.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2017, 05:56:46 AM »
12:

Ehh, I kinda like the first OP better :\

It's always intriguing to watch what goes on in Kiriyama's mind. Introspection is the one thing people these days ought to learn for self-understanding, and Kiriyama gets an A-grade for that. Now after coming back from the sisters' place, he now attains a new sense of mindfulness which, like his prowess in shogi, is both a gift and a curse. After being exposed to a warm place, his original cold place now seems even colder. Of course, in order to avoid being complacent, he can't afford to stay over at their place.

Oh, Gotou is also a shogi player? That's just wonderful; now we know how this is going to end up. Gonna be a slugfest for an ending.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2017, 05:57:20 PM »
13:

These were two layman friendly, macroscopic-view match overviews, which were artfully done and entertaining.

But I have to focus my attention on that eating scene. What the hell was that? Why'd they pick such energetic music for such a quiet scene-does the music also exist in-universe, and glasses dude is listening to it to pump himself up? Why'd it last so long? What point were they trying to get across? Why'd the animation look like crap in a scene they gave so much attention to?

Maaaaaybe they knew the rest of the episode was going to be intense, and crammed in some levity when they could? I don't know. It just looks to me like Endless 8 levels of, "what were they thinking?"

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2017, 02:09:51 AM »
13:

That post intro scene with Mr. Smith having breakfast might be one of the most unintentionally hilarious things I've ever watched.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2017, 05:37:23 AM »
13:

That post intro scene with Mr. Smith having breakfast might be one of the most unintentionally hilarious things I've ever watched.

Can't help but feel that Shinbo is trolling the audience here.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2017, 07:12:33 AM »
More like..

Composition Guy:  "Shit, we've only got 18 minutes of actual material to work with here what do we do?"
Shinbo:  "Anybody feeling creative?"

And that's how you get a possibly rotoscoped animated sequence of a dude eating a tomato, a sausage, what I hope is a piece of watermelon but I have no idea, and visualizing shogi in his head just to keep things on topic.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2017, 09:51:37 PM »
14:

Hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence

Offline Marid King

« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2017, 12:51:12 AM »
14:

This was one of my favorite moments from the manga. Sorry Rei, this ain't no Shounen.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2017, 02:10:12 AM »
Again why Umino is one of the best writers.   She doesn't write stuff that is a Hollywood script*.  Oh, sure, Rei will get his one day, but for now he still has a lot of growing to do.

*she just has Morita do that.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2017, 06:19:47 AM »
14:

Probably the most deliciously engrossing episode yet. Rei still has a long way to go, and complacency hit him really hard this time. He should count himself lucky; if it had happened with Gotou instead, it would have been catastrophic.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2017, 02:42:36 AM »
Suddenly, two of the most serious looking shogi players start to behave like immature adults. I guess the dark and serious tone of the last few episodes has been replace by something lighter. Never know that  Shimada can be that childish.

But Kyouko is still a mystery. Does she really love and hate Rei. Does Rei have 'feelings' for her. Rei wanted to challenge Gotou was because of the way he treat Kyouko?

Is having unfathomable girls (eg, Seiren) the in thingy now. It not only split Rei's head, it split my head as well.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 10:24:39 AM by Gadget »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2017, 03:00:28 AM »
I'm waiting to see what the conclusion is between Kyouko and Rei before I make any judgments on their relationship.  I see it right now as resentment (Kyouko) and guilt (Rei) but there is a lot more here.  A lot more.  There have been times I was convinced they were in a very unhealthy, possibly sexual relationship beyond the scope of sibling rivalry / jealousy / pettiness, but then I think about the other things we've seen.  Rei had that moment a few episodes back where he's shouting to the wind that it isn't his fault that his opponents suck, that they all can't deal with their own lack of ability, and that they shouldn't be heaping all these feelings of resentment on him.

At first I thought he was talking about the other shogi players, then I realized all of that applies to Kyouko.  I don't know if he inwardly resents her back for making him feel the way he does, or if he's really troubled that he can't be the kind of person to fix her pain, or both.  Or neither.  Is his hatred for Gotou-kun misguided and misplaced anger?  Over what, though?  That Kyouko likes him and Gotou WONT return her feelings?  That he wont protect her when Rei can't?  Or that Kyouko likes Gotou and Rei can't stand his sister liking someone else?  Does he think Gotou is the instigator and he refuses to blame Kyouko for any of this?  Is this just one of those things brothers do to try to protect their sisters, so that Gotou himself isn't doing anything wrong per se, but Rei looks at the situation as an opportunity to be the "brother figure"?

There's a lot of complex emotions running around here and I don't know what's true and what isn't.  I'm waiting to see how this resolves, because I know more revelations are coming.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2017, 10:30:25 PM »
15:

The Best 2 of 3 match between Gotou and Shimada was highly entertaining. I know that Gotou was originally portrayed as a stoic who seems impenetrable but that's from Rei's point of view. For someone more equal such as Shimada who can give a real challenge, Gotou is forced to show sides of him we never saw before.

At first I thought he was talking about the other shogi players, then I realized all of that applies to Kyouko.  I don't know if he inwardly resents her back for making him feel the way he does, or if he's really troubled that he can't be the kind of person to fix her pain, or both.  Or neither.  Is his hatred for Gotou-kun misguided and misplaced anger?  Over what, though?  That Kyouko likes him and Gotou WONT return her feelings?  That he wont protect her when Rei can't?  Or that Kyouko likes Gotou and Rei can't stand his sister liking someone else?  Does he think Gotou is the instigator and he refuses to blame Kyouko for any of this?  Is this just one of those things brothers do to try to protect their sisters, so that Gotou himself isn't doing anything wrong per se, but Rei looks at the situation as an opportunity to be the "brother figure"?

One thing's for sure, there's a lot of things going on in Rei's mind. For someone who has shown to be highly introspective and deep in thought but naive, it makes things more complex than it already is. There's a chance that Rei feels responsible and wrong that it's a one-sided affair between Kyouko and Gotou (or more specifically, allowing Kyouko to go after Gotou in the first place). I get the feeling that he feels bad that Kyouko's love isn't requited and sees Gotou as the villain... but why is that Rei's problem? Maybe it's because Rei wants Gotou to do something he can't: return Kyouko's love. But that's weird: why vilify Gotou over his own personal agenda?

But on a lighter note, I adore Shimada and Nikaido's relationship. I just find it... well, adorable.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2017, 08:04:33 PM »
15: This was my favorite anime so far, every scene was gold.

Sadly this anime seems to be at its best when its focus is away from the 3 sisters.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2017, 12:11:30 PM »
For an anti social person, Rei have lots of supporters.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2017, 07:44:23 PM »
17: Distance makes the heart fonder is kinda how I would describe I felt when we got to finally see Rei and Akari's family interact again albeit for a brief moment. Granted I do think the show is more interesting when it focuses on Kyouko.

I dunno if I'm gonna be able to wait for a season 2 or take the chance that there will be one by the time this finishes.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2017, 09:49:23 PM »
17:

It's quite a surprise to see Kyouko and Rei behaving like real siblings for a change. At first, it felt weird considering how much tension (and some bad blood from Kyouko to Rei) there is between the two of them. But then, they technically are siblings so it's natural for them to behave that way, even if it's rare for us to see. And Kyouko showing her vulnerable side to Rei in the bedroom? That scene should make us feel sympathetic towards her after all she's been through, but it's still no excuse for all she's done to him.

And on a side note, why are prodigies always portrayed as gods/devils with seemingly autistic behaviors? It always seems like there's a trade-off between exceptional abilities and social behavior but I'm not sure if that's always true. Then again, I have to concede that stereotypes exist for a reason.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2017, 06:27:18 PM »
I don't know. Rei/Kyouko relationship seems a bit more than brother/sister. Kyouko did not treat her real brother in this way. There seems very strong hint of suppress sexual attraction from each other. The unhealthy and destructive type. It's not really 'incest'. It's just legally not permissible.
Article 736. No marriage may be effected between an adopted child, his or her spouse, his or her lineal descendants or their spouses on the one hand, and the parent by adoption or his or her lineal ascendants on the other, even after the relationship has ceased in accordance with the provisions of Article 729.
But in some country and states, it is allowed. So lets stick to Japanese law.

why are prodigies always portrayed as gods/devils with seemingly autistic behaviors?

One name. Grand master Vassily Ivanchuk. Worst than Bobby Fisher.

They are actually people with a condition known as Savant. The most famous would be Kim Peek. The real 'Rain Man'.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2017, 07:00:20 PM »
One name. Grand master Vassily Ivanchuk. Worst than Bobby Fisher.

They are actually people with a condition known as Savant. The most famous would be Kim Peek. The real 'Rain Man'.

Yeah, there are such people. But it's also because shows love to portray exceptionally talented people with autistic behavior as a form of realistic trade-off. Nobody wants to see a character who can do everything, I guess. And I know that even movies would habitually bend the truth and portray such characters as autistic just for that effect.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2017, 01:33:50 AM »
Well, yes and no. It IS the case that a disproportionate fraction of the most brilliant people to ever live are, in a word, strange. I'd guess around a third to a half, which is probably less than popular belief, but obviously a lot more than the same figure would be for the general population.

But yes, in media geniuses are portrayed this way closer to (~80?)% of the time. I feel this is because:

a) Brilliance, in and of itself, looks strange. This guy destroyed me in 20 moves; what is going through his head? Can he read minds? That guy came up with a brilliant theory that changes everything we know about science. It sounds like gobbledegook black magic. From their perspective, what they're doing makes perfect sense, but it looks weird to the rest of us because we're not following the leaps in logic. It's not hard to confuse a genius with a wizard, and then it's a short step to including all the arcane behavior that comes with that.
b) It's hard to fully appreciate just how brilliant a person is, unless you spend a lot of time trying to retrace their thoughts yourself. It's even harder to communicate that same brilliance to the viewer, at least in a direct way. Much easier to play on the audience's preconceptions, have them equate 'weirdo nerd = ultra genius', and save hours of difficult writing. This isn't even a bad thing; if people want to, they can always read papers/watch post-game analysis videos/etc and cut out the middle man.

That said, AC, who is the autistic genius in Sangatsu?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 01:40:28 AM by Marid King »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2017, 02:16:39 AM »
I think he's referring to Souya, the Shogi grand master.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2017, 05:51:50 AM »
Clearly Souya is made to be the archetypal 'autistic' champion to be beaten, whether or not he is one.

18:

The psychologies in competitions interests me. In particular, this episode is about home advantage and losing streaks. I've never competed in any major competitions so I can't understand what constitutes to home advantage. Is it something physical or, what I suspect, psychological? In the context of football/soccer, I know that your familiarity with the field and even the climate can be a huge advantage. But what about shogi? Is Shimada's pride for hometown the sole factor for home advantage? As for losing streak, it always sucks to not have any momentum to turn the tide.

And I have to give props for Akari's sheer perception. To accurately infer the cause of Kiriyama's current situation purely by looking at that snapshot moment between him and Kyouko... that's incredible.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2017, 07:29:10 AM »

And I have to give props for Akari's sheer perception. To accurately infer the cause of Kiriyama's current situation purely by looking at that snapshot moment between him and Kyouko... that's incredible.

A skill needed working in a club. Beside, the body language between Rei and Kyouko was screaming out loud.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2017, 01:06:31 PM »
Clearly Souya is made to be the archetypal 'autistic' champion to be beaten, whether or not he is one.

The psychologies in competitions interests me. In particular, this episode is about home advantage and losing streaks. I've never competed in any major competitions so I can't understand what constitutes to home advantage. Is it something physical or, what I suspect, psychological? In the context of football/soccer, I know that your familiarity with the field and even the climate can be a huge advantage. But what about shogi? Is Shimada's pride for hometown the sole factor for home advantage? As for losing streak, it always sucks to not have any momentum to turn the tide.

Quick note on home advantage, in general it's nothing to do with the actual game, it's the crowd. When you play on your turf, the crowd will cheer for you, go nuts when you make a great play, and sometimes boo the opposing team. Players draw energy from the support, and it costs the opposing team energy to ignore the fact that no one present wants them to win. Shogi doesn't have a crowd though, so I don't think it applies here.

On Souya, I'd sooner believe he's an ex-KGB agent than autistic. He's just expressionless, which is very different from exhibiting strange behavior.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2017, 06:10:22 AM »
19:

It's fascinating to see how scarcity can motivate people to go to great lengths at doing what they do. Like the idea of how scarcity in justice drives people to become superheroes, or the scarcity of commodities in poorer countries could give rise to athletes. For Shimada, the scarcity of his hometown - no other kids, no famous landmarks, nothing essentially - drives him to be best shogi player there is so that finally, his hometown has something to show for. That kind of pride (and desperation) is something I cannot personally relate, and hence it's fascinating.

But unfortunately, I would argue that this may be the root cause of Shimada's stomach pains. He claims not knowing whether the creaks were from his bus seats, his stomach or his heart, yet we can safely assume that the root cause that binds all of this is anxiety. I'm not a doctor but judging from his do-or-die situation, it seems to be the only valid conclusion.

And once again, Souya is made out to be this untouchable and surreal sage whom nobody can quite understand. It's admirable to see Shimada still going after even what he thinks is not possible (that is, defeating Souya). At the same time, it's also tragic because we know it may not end well for him.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2017, 10:25:04 PM »
Does Shimada really like shogi? It seems that he play it for his home village. Already Rei did says he took up shogi to be accepted in the new family. It seems that shogi is a matter for their survival. Not what they like. But both of them are really competitive.

An interesting insight into Souya. It may seems Souya hogging the limelight, but he did it so that Shimada could escape from the press. So Souya do have a heart.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2017, 10:35:24 PM »
An interesting insight into Souya. It may seems Souya hogging the limelight, but he did it so that Shimada could escape from the press. So Souya do have a heart.

It can also serve as a testament to his perception, both on and off the shogi board. Remember that he's the type of person that is extremely difficult for others to understand, yet both him and Rei made the same comment about a particular shogi piece during their respective matches. Shimada is lucky enough to get this insight.

It may not help him much at this point if his losing streak continues, but it will help Rei if he goes against Souya one day.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2017, 10:32:13 PM »
It's hard to put words down. The whole even was like a dream. From the way Shimada dream that he was just a farmer in his village, to the way he lost the game. And in the snow storm/tornado and he 'heard' Rei's voice. And just like Rei, Shimada never says he like shogi, but their identity is found in winning shogi matches.

Stomach pain kept Shimada 'alive'. Kinda remain me from the movie 'G.I. Jane'. Pain means you are alive.  Pain means Shimada is alive in reality,  not in some dream where he got a family in his village. I'm wondering is this a form of mind trick to make him perform even better. Shimada's no slouch. Even Rei felt he was swept by a tide during the practice match.

yet both him and Rei made the same comment about a particular shogi piece during their respective matches. Shimada is lucky enough to get this insight.

Once again, this was hinted again. Where only Rei and Souya sees the counter move.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2017, 01:04:08 AM »
It takes an autist to defeat an autist.

20:

Making an astute observation regarding an established board(3rd party observing aside) doesnt mean you could've cultivated such a scenario. Not that the episode ever suggested Rei was capable of such a feat.

I never gave a shit about Shimada but with this he seems to have informed Rei's immediate development so I suppose these past episodes, collectively, have been worthwhile. This show has been delineated as 3 arcs: The 3 sisters, The Kyouko, and The Shimada. The 3 sisters was a rather light-hearted exploration into Rei's isolation and his longing for a home. The Kyouko was his reason for having those feelings of displacement as well as depicting not only why he identifies as a hedgehog but why he continues to identify as such. The Shimada was Rei affirming his own Shogi-based existence, or rather, his acknowledgement that he would have to assert himself and his own way of life.
My point, each of the 3 sections have been integral to the establishment and the future development of Rei....but once Kyouko appeared I only cared about her and her related things. As such,  as great as the series is, my interest inherently wanes when Kyouko isnt on screen. You can't put the Genie back on the bottle as it were. Now that I know she exists I want more. While the series is a charcater study of Rei and while his identity as well as his relationships are informed by his experiences I need direct Kyouko involvement.  Essentially, the show teased a far too captivating character and now it cant sustain itself without her. I loved Rei from the beginning but now I'm interested in other things.

Which isnt to say the series is anything less than brilliant. Im simply saying that after the wave of excellence that comes with each episode, I take a step back and wonder "where Kyouko at?". I had the same "issue" with Honey and Clover. I immediately fell for Rika and couldnt help but think less of any non-Rika related plotlines.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2017, 01:08:32 AM »
20:

It's awesome that the competitive side of things have finally come out to play. I don't play Shogi myself, but I played Go for a few years, and I've been following competitive games for almost a decade. The scene in which Rei saw the move was absolutely fantastic, in the context of the game itself, the setup, visuals, execution, and what it means for the story going forward. It was like seeing the inside of my own brain on the screen. I would change nothing. That is exactly how it feels when you're slogging through a game which seems hopeless, when suddenly you see the one way out shining through like it's the light of God.

Man that was fun.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2017, 05:43:37 AM »
20:

It's fascinating how this Souya-Shimada tournament has been explored purely from a psychological point of view.

It's tragic to see just how much sacrifice Shimada has made through his journey in shogi. It's basically a do-or-die mission for him, and the whole flashback is akin to one that people having near-death experiences can relate to. Kiriyama is right; the real (psychological) fear is what comes after the end of the tournament. As I mentioned before, a lot of sportspeople make huge sacrifices and it's a despair to think what comes next for people who almost made it but didn't.

I would like to see Souya's background more. Until now, it's all about Shimada and Kiriyama, which have been amazing.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2017, 06:17:15 AM »
21:

A cool-off episode that this show needs by now, especially after that intense tournament.

I'm really glad to see that there's still hope for Shimada even after losing. Life just goes on, and Shimada's case is no exception. At least there are still people looking forward to his return regardless of victory or loss. Moreover, he has a community, and more importantly, a home to go back to. That's the most important thing in life for anyone, because if anything bad happens in life, one needs a place to go back to socially, emotionally and psychologically.

And I'm delighted to see the second half of the episode. I don't really know why; I just feel happy watching it.

Is the next episode supposed to be the last one? Sure doesn't feel like it.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #97 on: March 19, 2017, 06:36:22 AM »
Final:

Oh wow, that was a final episode very well-done. I was skeptical that the final episode could wrap things up nicely from the previous episode, but I guess was wrong (and pleasantly surprised for it).

The second half struck me for two things. It's a no-brainer that Kiriyama is introverted through and through. Yes, worrying about being a sore thumb in a crowd and be fascinated by ants are as introverted as it gets. But more importantly, it's about how he's come to terms with himself.

He is lonely but not in desperation because of shogi. It's just beautiful how metaphorical the whole reference to having someone sitting next to Kiriyama is and how shogi is his 'ticket' to his destiny. That's the one thing I've always appreciated this show for: the metaphors especially during scenes that explores Kiriyama's psyche. They're just fascinating to watch, and I will thank Umino and Shinbo for their combined direction and writing.

It's an 8/10 for me. Great show in overall.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #98 on: March 19, 2017, 09:56:01 AM »
It's end of one journey and a beginning of another. Kiriyama is still Kiriyama. Shy and awkward. But there is a difference in a Kiriyamaish way. He is still growing, as a person, teenager and a shogi player. I agree with AC that the metaphor are well done. It's not an end, but a phase has finish. There are still things I want to know. Like his relation with the  Kawamoto sisters. I think there could be future romance with Hinata. His relation with Kyouko. And how can I not be interested with his self proclaim best friend Nikaidou. But those are things for another time.

Final though.
It's slow, but we do want to know what's going on. It seems that every episode gives us a peek into Kiriyama. And we want to see more. The metaphor are great. But it's not for the faint heart, like Pokemon or YuGiYo fans. There is no plot at all. It's just a peek into an introvert shogi player's life, Like the way they show Smiths having breakfast. It you think about it, the story is ...almost not there. UnlikeShouwa Genroku Rakugo, it has a story/plot. This is it's strength, and also it's weakness.I prefer something with a story. It's one of the things I feel that an anime can do better then a life movie. But I have to wait until the life version comes out.

But I did enjoy. I wish I could enjoy more. So a 8.5 for me.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #99 on: March 19, 2017, 06:47:28 PM »
Btw a second season is confirmed.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #100 on: March 19, 2017, 09:04:48 PM »
Btw a second season is confirmed.

That's awesome. There are so many issues still left unresolved, so a second season is definitely warranted.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #101 on: October 14, 2017, 10:25:02 PM »
23:

SHUWA SHUWA DA!

Offline Gadget

« Reply #102 on: October 15, 2017, 12:42:53 AM »
I think there may be a change. The window opening statement means that Rei has grown. Although he participate in the co call club activities, I wonder can he get along with 'normal' students. After all, the club president is Tesla. Another genius.

It seems the Kawamoto sisters are the anchor of his life. Can't wait to see  Nikaidou .

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #103 on: October 18, 2017, 05:56:44 AM »
23:

Come to think of it, I've never had Lamune before.

Decent first start to a new season, and a good recap of where the previous one left off. I see that the production values are better now, with the CGI and all with the kitty shogi.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #104 on: October 21, 2017, 02:18:21 PM »
24:

It has been obvious for a while now that Gotou was never the villain that Rei has conjured up in his head.  Sure, he's curt, temperamental, and is using Kyouko for his own reasons, but things aren't exactly to the level Rei has created.  He's a passionate shogi player, and so in that light he isn't any different than anybody else, and he has the respect of his peers because they all know him better than the younger players do.  They know his faults, but they accept them.  This should have been our first clue that he wasn't all bad.

This episode was more for the audience to get to know him a bit more.  He does what Rei and Nikaidou wanted to do by defending Shimada's shogi and competitiveness, after all Shimada beat Gotou to advance against Souya.  There's respect there, even if the two of them get snippy with each other on game day.  That's just competitive rivals being children (as the older veteran points out).  Later on we see that his wife is sick in the hospital, apparently in a catatonic state.  His apparent "use" of Kyouko is to have her get things for his wife that he can't do himself, and undoubtedly to provide him with personal comfort when he's lonely.  Whether or not he has a sexual relationship with her is still up in the air.  He seems to indicate that she's the instigator of these moments, and that he'd just as soon not do anything with her and just sleep.  Whether he does things with her as a sort of pity or reward for her loyalty to him is unknown.  Again, we're not even sure he and she actually do things together.

The thing is, it is the common enough cultural acceptance, and this show plays on that acceptance, that in any situation where an older man and a younger lady are perceived to have any kind of fling, that it is the older man taking advantage of and / or preying upon the lady.  Some of this has historical significance, as affluent older people HAVE done things like this before.  What we ignore is that this is a universal issue.  Affluent women do it, too, we just don't care as much.  We actually support the younger MAN in that case, as if they're doing the proverbial Charlie Sheen "winning".  We never give much consideration to the decision making ability of the younger lady in any of these cases.  She's seen as a victim (modern culture, with various victimization complexes has not helped this either), and must be protected.  It is, at its core, insulting to her.  What we see as protection and "white knighting" (if you'll allow me) is actually a judgment that the girl is an imbecile and can't take care of herself.  There is a certain amount of chauvinism to chivalry, but we don't acknowledge that and continue just hating on the guy.

Now, don't get me wrong here, I don't know exactly what is going on between Gotou and Kyouko.  I know that it isn't ideally what Kyouko wants, and that pain she suffers from this situation is lumped onto Rei, who therefore sees the whole thing as a net negative.  Of course, she'll protect Gotou when confronted, because that's what people do.  You could also argue that she does this on purpose to provoke Rei into action against Gotou, because she's still got a huge lot of resentment for her adopted younger brother and vents that resentment in a variety of manipulative ways.  She knows that Rei has no chance of doing anything to stop Gotou, and that Gotou is a man who does not like being provoked by someone else even on a misunderstanding.  So Gotou isn't exactly innocent in all this.  He's still a hotheaded jackass, and whether sexual or not, he is taking advantage of Kyouko's affections for him.  He's not all that different from Rika Harada (Honey & Clover) in that regard, and because of her situation she's seen as more a sympathetic character.  Isn't it interesting how perceptions of similar circumstances change just because of the nature of the people involved?  Rika is disabled, sure, but she also knows Mayama's feelings for her and while she tries not to stoke those flames, she still allows Mayama to do a lot of very intimate things for her.  It isn't all that different.

I wouldn't say Gotou is a good man, because he has some flaws that would be difficult for me to reconcile.  Kyouko is definitely not a good person, because of her manipulative and vengeful nature, but we do see that she is completely different when she's around Gotou.  I'm not saying the situation with Gotou is healthy for her, but I feel like this Kyouko is more like what she wants to be if she could just get over her hangups with her father and Rei.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #105 on: October 22, 2017, 05:34:24 AM »
24:

Hmm, a bit more exposure about what's going between Gotou and Kyouko.

Then again, Gotou was painted out as a villain only because it was told from Rei's point of view all along. Gotou does have a point when he questions Rei's place in telling him what's right or wrong. Rei may be looking out for Kyouko for going against Gotou... or was he just looking out for himself?

On another note, it's interesting how Kuma was in the same fetal position as Shimada when the latter was in the tourney with Souya. Seems that perhaps both share a similarity that neither is aware of.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #106 on: October 30, 2017, 06:14:37 AM »
25:

Basically a recap episode.

Don't get me wrong; it isn't officially one per se. Rather, it's a reminder of just how messed up Rei's life has been. A victim of bully at school and an object of envy at his foster home, the guy never has a home to call his own. When such a person has nowhere else to go, he usually immerse himself at work. For Rei, it's shogi. This was already revealed in the first season, but for good measure the episode is refreshing our memories.

Not just that, but also because Rei's gonna confront his inner demons again when Hina has now apparently become another victim of bullying.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2017, 11:27:13 PM »
Yeah, it was more of an episode to set up the parallels that will now form between his and Hina's lives.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #108 on: November 04, 2017, 07:07:29 PM »
26:

Bullying is not a new topic.  As long as there are kids being kids there is going to be some kind of attempt at formations of social structures and orders, with some being ostracized and some being lauded.  This is just how it is, world wide, and has been since the beginning of man.  People have taken stances, formed organizations, done news reports, social media blasts, and all kinds of things, about bullying and how horrible it is, and yet it still goes on.  Because at the end of the day, people are the problem, and people don't change.  Especially younger people, who understand less what the consequences of their actions are than those of us who have seen them.  A thousand years from now, someone is going to bully someone else, and it will be just as tragic then as it is now.

But let us not ignore something here.  Like I said, bullying is just one part of the social structure, the weak are pushed to the bottom.  This is a very primal thing, dating back to our instincts about procreation and survival.  It isn't a coincidence that bullying and social structure building seems to happen more during the pubescent years.  Hormones are running amok, brains are developing more cognizant reasoning and rationales, physical changes bring inequality in form and function, and so forth.  However, what I don't want people to ignore is that bullying is not just a "kid's game".  South Park did an entire episode on this, pointing out the hypocrisy of adults in the world constantly using different bullying tactics to force other people to do what they want.  Whether that be financial influence, legal influence, threats of violence, job termination, school termination, false accusations, or a laundry list of other possible tactics, IT STILL ****ING HAPPENS WHEN YOU'RE AN ADULT.  The oddity of this is that Rei has known childhood bullying, but he has also seen it in the adult world, but he isn't bringing the two topics together.  His step sister is STILL DOING IT.

So I'm not saying that kids are to be forgiven for their behavior what with hormones and adults being shitty examples, but I think maybe before we damn them for things they do, we should analyze just to what levels this problem permeates societies world wide.  At the end of the day it is a struggle for power.  This trio of girls in Hina's class has it, because the other students let them have it, because the other students don't realize that they are the many and the trio is the few.  For what reason do you willingly give up your power to such authority figures without realizing that?  Fear, obviously, but it goes beyond simple self preservation and straight to cowardice.  When you break down a bullying situation, you realize that there are a lot of repugnant, deplorable, and disgusting human beings doing human being things all over the place.  The bullies are power mad psychopaths, the bullied are those who can't stand up for themselves for whatever reason, and the audience looks on as willing participants by proxy because they allowed the power structure to develop without challenging it.  Oh did I just blame the victim?  Sure ****ing did.  I've been the target of bullying myself, and I didn't take that shit.  Easy for me to say, you say?  Sure, I'll accept that.  Not everybody can do what I did, but do not ignore the fact that the reason you are bullied is because you can't.  You're waiting for a hero to protect you, which isn't strength, nor bravery, nor nobility.  You "endure", why?  Because you have no choice.  Enduring pain is unhealthy.  No psychologist on the planet would say that enduring pain is a good thing.  So why is it here?  It isn't.  The kids being bullied are weak individuals.  That's why it goes on.  I'm not trying to turn this into a crusade against the bullied, I'm just ****ing saying.  Ignoring all the facets of a bullying situation is moral masturbation.  In a nutshell, it is the privilege of the strong to hate the bullies, but ignore the rest.

Hina refused to do any of that.  She wanted her friend to be strong, to stop making excuses, and to get help from the teacher or someone who could stop it.  She refused to be part of the audience, sitting there ceding power to these miscreants, and fought back in her own way against the tide.  She laments the behavior of her fellow students, who she views unfavorably now because of all this.  But worst of all was the teacher pushing it aside.  For kids, authority figures are important because they denote the proper institutionalized structure.  They trust cops because cops protect order.  They have to believe that or there is no order.  They trust pastors because they preach morality and ethics.  They have to believe morality is important or the world is actually a horrible place.  They trust teachers to provide a healthy learning environment.  They have to believe that or school becomes chaos and they can't learn anything.  At any point, if any of these authority figures betray that trust, then the child's perception of societal structure crashes down.  African American kids grow up fearing cops because black people have been victimized by police brutality; pastors who rape children show that morality is a lie and there is no true good; teachers who allow bullying allow a toxic classroom to rule the roost.  Work, school, church, in public, AT HOME, the adults need to be more careful of betraying children trust.  Not getting your daughter a pony for Christmas is one thing, neglecting them in their hour of need is another.

Hina is now betrayed by everyone she knows except Rei and her family.  Her teacher, her classmates, even her friend to an extent who was just going to leave without saying goodbye.  Her worldview has been dashed because of a trio of assholes, the cowardice of her classmates, and the institutionalized acceptance of the events.  The cherry on top is that another teacher doesn't even know what happened to her friend (the PE teacher) and the head bitch mouths off even though the girl wasn't even there anymore.  Hina just snaps.

Everyone has a breaking point.  There is only so much evil and betrayal that we can take before a good person of good conscience can be broken.  In the strictest application of the rules of order, she did wrong by attacking her classmate.  However, all things considered, what she did was not morally or ethically incorrect.  The pain of losing a friend, the pain of having her perception of the world tainted, and the pain of having to endure this person, all came out at the same time.  The head bitch didn't distort her view, the failure of the school and the other students did.  The head bitch didn't make the decision to move Chiho to another school, her parents did.  But, when you can't attack the teachers, the other students, or Chiho's parents, you've only got one target left to vent your pain on.  And it is pretty hard to be sympathetic to the target at this point.

But because the school doesn't acknowledge the bullying, because the other students tacitly allow it to happen, and because the trio are the ones in power, Hina's actions are perceived as shocking and wrong by onlookers who have no idea what this is about.  Maybe her assaulting her classmate will trigger dialogue, maybe it wont.  Hina now faces the possibility of being the next victim, and while she's scared, she's still going to fight it.  She can do that because she is a good person of good conscience, and she has a strong support structure in place to keep her head up, focused, and determined.  I think we are all Rei here, because we know Hina, we've come to like Hina, and we want to physically destroy anybody who harms Hina, but while Rei wracks his brain to find something to help her, he is left with an unfortunate reality:  there isn't much you can do.  Outside of doing something utterly heinous, getting directly involved may not help the situation at all.  I don't know what Rei can do to help, aside from just being there for Hina, or following through on brutally murdering some kids.  Like I said, bullying is a world wide problem that spans all of humanity's lifeline.  You can't stop it, the best you can do is drive it underground, where you can do even less to stop it.

I don't know if the author is going to give us an answer here for this situation, and I hope she doesn't, because that would be pretentious as all ****ing hell.

As an aside, this episode was gorgeous and received all the attention an important subject and change to both Hina and Rei's lives deserved.

Online Equilibrium

• Background character

« Reply #109 on: November 06, 2017, 10:36:53 AM »

Just breathtaking... i thought koe no katachi had easily the best depiction of school bullying in anime and the ways it affects the people "not" part of the bullying and the bullies and the bullied ...but this too had everything on point. The visuals were just so vivid and emotion evoking especially when Rei is holding Hinas hand... Only respect for animators, writers and the voice actors for conveing the whole scene in such raw, true and real fashion. It's nice that this kind of a serious issue gets for once... well twice(koe no katachi still) such a beautiful and thought provoking imagery and storytelling.

10/10

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #110 on: November 07, 2017, 05:38:09 AM »
26:

Bullying seems to be a prevalent topic in anime these days. I wonder if this is a deliberate attempt at giving the issue more exposure and trying to reach out to more people. Even if bullying is a universal problem, it just seems to be more pronounced in Japan.

Frankly, although I felt wanting more from the episode because I was hoping to see Rei's solution, I know that the show has done justice in covering the topic of bullying very well.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #111 on: November 12, 2017, 01:20:40 AM »
It's still on bulling. Although no steps has been taken to solve the problem, there was good open heart talk, or as the chapter was title 'confessions'.

Like for once, the ex home room teacher did gave some very sensible advice. Like there is no 'standardized solution' to bulling. Every situation is different, and every solution will have to be different.

And then there was Akari feelings of having failed Hinna. After how gramps 'powerful' encouragement, she seems to feel that she has failed as a surrogate mother. Once again, it was Rei who encourage her. It's like a payback in kindness. It's something like this. Akari care and teaches Hinna. Hinna's took Akari advice and shape her personality. Her personality reaches out to Rei. And now Rei is like a part of a surrogate family. And now Rei, on the kitchen floor, encourage Akari. The story is simple and elegant.

In between Shinbou throws some comedy curves. Unlike some comedy that is straight in your face, it's kinda bland in well. And poor  Nikaidou Issa and Smith became comedy elements.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #112 on: November 12, 2017, 09:50:37 AM »
26: While the episode was powerful, I do feel a lot of the narration was unnecessary. I felt like the first half kind of spoke for itself without Rei explaining all the details. Also Rei's actors delivery could use some work.

27: Probably my favorite episode in the show. Rei was the most funny and likable he has been in the entire series, and just a lot of good moments between him, his sister and Akari.

PS: I especially liked the part where Akari asked Rei how much he weighed, and her reaction implied that he weighs less than her. Gotta love that stuff.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #113 on: November 14, 2017, 07:11:47 AM »
27:

You know, I really wished that the whole conversation between Rei and his teacher would go easy with the comedic bits. Here we are, discussing a grave problem of bullying, and we have to put up with the teacher's goof.

But as much as I was annoyed by him, he made good points. A lot of times when people come to settle bullying cases, they end up fighting for themselves rather than for the victim. Every action carries consequences, and even if one wants to do the right thing for the victim, the consequence may not be the right one after all. And of course, there's no one solution that works for all.

That being said, the problem is far from being solved. They're just recognizing how to approach the problem first.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8 [All]   Go Up