Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 21, 2017, 06:59:42 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 91 Days  (Read 5746 times)

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • samui26's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @samuiyoru07

Re: 91 Days
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2016, 10:50:45 PM »
8-9:

Am I the only one who sees 91 Days' plot as unnecessarily intricate?

You know, you got the gangster politics, the sake thing and Angelo's revenge...
..and there's a lot of characters whose name I didn't care to remember (even Nero to be honest). Or maybe the show is a bit too somber? Ugh.
I am not sure if good animes are getting fewer these days or my taste has gone numb because most of what I watch recently look the same.

Oh, another shameless plug. Here's my blog: http://samui26.wordpress.com

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2016, 02:32:37 AM »
I think the issue is that the show almost moves too briskly.  An awful lot of shit happens in each episode, many events of which could be stretched out to flesh out the characters involved and make us give half a damn when something happens.

Alas, this doesn't appear to be a show destined for length, and we're therefore compressing it as necessary to fit into a cour.  Such is the fate of original works, I guess.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2016, 03:44:13 AM »
That too TIF. The show might seem lifeless and all but it moves too fast. Ugh.
I am not sure if good animes are getting fewer these days or my taste has gone numb because most of what I watch recently look the same.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2016, 05:04:59 AM »
9:

Basically I think this show is meant to be 2-cour. The thing about mafia drama series is that pacing has to be deliberately slow. There's too much going in the story... heck, I honestly can't remember who is who, and who did what. Before we even digest what has happened and let the feeling sink in, the show shifts into another plot event.

I really like this show, but by the time it ends, I'm going to remember this show as one that has so much promise, yet didn't quite pull it off well.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2016, 05:10:59 AM »
10:

Tragic irony: Avilio tried really hard to save Corteo, but eventually kills him. A little underwhelming, however.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2016, 08:18:46 PM »
Move your gun a few inches away, the whole plot changes. Did NOT see that coming.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2016, 08:55:11 PM »
11:

Aaaand, everything explodes!

Offline MCAL

« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2016, 04:52:15 PM »
11:
And thus everything went to hell in very spectacular fashion.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2016, 09:21:03 PM »
The whole story becomes unreal. It become a head trip. The silence and lack of action, and intervene with some violence, to me, it shows the complex relationship between Nero and Angelo. It wasn't spell out. But it makes us watch. And let us interpreter their relationship. Was it because Nero chicken out and did not kill young Angelo? First shot at point blank. Bullet was a dud. Second shot, it was a wild shot. And Nero was shooting with his eyes close. So Angelo decided not to kill him?
The trip to the ocean was also like the time Nero and Angelo has to run away from Lawless. It builds the 'feel' of a very complex relationship. Nero could don't give a dame and just shoot Angelo anytime. But he shoots him when the trip ends.
In the end, did Nero shoot Angelo. Or did he let Angelo go. It doesn't matter. But the act of shooting free Nero. Like another Butch Cassidy and the Sunshine Kid ending. It make us, the audience, interpret the ending.

Final thoughts.
In Chinese martial arts story, there is often saying, Cut the Grass, Pull the Roots. The meaning is when you kill someone, (cut the grass), you have to make sure the next generation will not come back to hunt you. (pull the roots). So Angelo not only get his revenge, he destroyed the Vanttie family.
It's also the tale of how revenge also destroy oneself. It's ok for Angelo to lost his humanity, but he drag his only friend and brother , Corteo, to his death. But to seek revenge to find a reason to live. He learn that nothing gets from revenge, the hard way. In the end, Angelo is pathatic.

It was a well made series. Like Joker Game, the setting feels accurate and 30ish. But unlike the Joker Game. It has a plot. At times, it was slow. But this is not some shonan power fight. It's a tale of vengeance. When cold revenge is served, the dish is always very good.
It's difficult to make a very good animation. That is why Marlon Brando and Al Pacino got awards for their role in The Godfather. Animation can only do so much to create the real character. Vincent is not Marlon Brando. And Nero is not Al Pacino. But in this series, they did their best. And it was good. Near, but not there yet.
It's not everyone cup of tea. And some cliques did slip in. The pacing is slow, but it's alright for me to built the story. Fango was a bit like some typical mad person from another anime. A scale down and tame version of Betelgeuse? (My brain trembles)
It did get slow in the middle. The ending was WTF. Not perfect. Good story. But I never like Angelo. In fact I find Nero a person I like more. I give a 8.5

I actually think a live action has the potential to be better. But It's my personal opinion.

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2016, 10:02:58 PM »
12:

I can't put a feeling in this except for the fact it felt like the finale of Tokyo Ghoul Root A. Quite artsy but fell emotionally flat. Such the curse of criminally fast pacing. Yet the show heads in the correct direction for most the time. It's that, we need good characters and more episodes to explore a plot this intricate. 91Days does not have any of the two. Too bad.

6/10.

6/10

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2016, 06:06:47 AM »
Final:

91 Days started out pretty promising but as a mafia-revenge story, I thought it had pacing issues. Personally, I think a mafia story (especially with the amount of material 91 Days has) should be 2 cours long so that there's plenty of time to develop the plot and characters... especially the characters and their relationships. That's the key to any mafia or revenge story: it's all about how one individual tears an entire system down in glorious fashion.

It has all the right ingredients but the execution wasn't as amazing as I thought it could be. I didn't feel that much emotionally invested in any of the characters, nor do I even feel the rage in Avilio to justify his intricate attempt to avenge his family. In fact, I didn't even feel anything much when he killed Corteo in the process. And yeah, I had some issues keeping up with what's going on too. Something's basically lacking in the show, and I blame it on the pacing for most parts.

It's a 6/10 for me. Has anyone figured out what "91 Days" refer to?

Offline MCAL

« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2016, 07:34:21 AM »
Has anyone figured out what "91 Days" refer to?
It was mentioned somewhere near the end that it had been about three months since Angelo met Nero which comes to about 91 days. Or it coud also refer to the fact that the show aired over the course of 13 week (This includes the recap) which is 91 days.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up