Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 20, 2017, 04:13:57 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 91 Days  (Read 5733 times)

Offline Stark700

91 Days
« on: July 08, 2016, 12:11:11 PM »
1:

Good episode overall, a lot of darker themes with the setting. What I like about this is how the episode really made the rivalry with revenge and hate themes.

The violence is realistic too although I think it gave a good insight about the setting. The era has a good amount of focus about the characters in particular rivalries. Nice music as well.

Offline Gadget

Re: 91 Days
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 12:46:25 PM »

Pocket knife, switch blade knuckle duster. Hardcore real fight. Along with the well made production. It's the little thing like coughing from the next room. The detailed knife fight.

But the them has been done many time. Child saw parents killed. Survived by hiding in the closet. Father was a book keeper to some crime family. Back years later for revenge. Start off by earning the trust of his parents murderer.

So what next. Fall in love with the Don's daughter or niece? Spare him because he still got some humanity? And good buddy get killed along the way.

The production was good. The music was appropriate. But is a 'been there, done that' story. I'll stick around to see how it's goes.

Side note:
Along with Berserk, I'm glad there are some dark stuff.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 08:24:12 PM by Gadget »

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 01:01:03 PM »
1:

Best premiere so far. It's obvious that studio is very passionate about this project off the first half of that episode,which was perfect.The show is dripping with atmosphere right from the opening scene.It's definitely been done before,but the key here is the execution of the cliches. The characters so far are interesting and likable,and the soundtrack is perfect so far. Got some spotty quality moments (a lot of faceless people in the crowds),otherwise it looks pretty good. Looking forward to more.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 01:06:48 PM by themaster20000 »
"No matter how wonderful everything in your movie may be, if your script sucks ass, your movie will suck ass."

"No matter how good a film is, it will always be bad. It will always be hated because it didn't live up to the incredibly high expectations." -

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • samui26's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 03:29:27 AM »
1:

While I still prefer orange over this, 91 Days cemented itself as a force to reckon with this season. Everything is well executed even if the story is entirely unoriginal. Lemme see how can this show go.
I am not sure if good animes are getting fewer these days or my taste has gone numb because most of what I watch recently look the same.

Oh, another shameless plug. Here's my blog: http://samui26.wordpress.com

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 05:30:53 AM »
1:

OH. SNAP.

That is one of the most engaging first episodes in a long time. I got a lot of Baccano! vibes because of the similar visuals but definitely without all the jazz. This is straight up mafia without any fluff, and I love it.

I'm definitely in for this one, and I really hope this show keeps it up with the story. Haven't really had a good mafia-themed anime series in a long time.

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 07:11:03 AM »
The only thing I wasn't a huge fan of was Fango. He was so out of place visually and character-wise compared to everything else (they're obviously going for a Ladd Russo character).
"No matter how wonderful everything in your movie may be, if your script sucks ass, your movie will suck ass."

"No matter how good a film is, it will always be bad. It will always be hated because it didn't live up to the incredibly high expectations." -

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 04:45:21 PM »
1:

Where the hell are we?  Prohibition implies the US somewhere, but is this New York?  Chicago?  Walla Walla?

Interesting show so far.  We'll see where it goes.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 09:18:05 PM »
1:

Pretty standard so far, but god damn that execution is on point.
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline Equilibrium

• Background character

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 03:55:53 AM »

Ooooh don't end up like Gangsta, don't end up like Gangsta, don't end up like Gangsta.... etc

Meaning i'm so pumped for this show but... *sigh* im afraid... for the decline of the quality. Please let it be good.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 09:47:57 AM »

Ooooh don't end up like Gangsta, don't end up like Gangsta, don't end up like Gangsta.... etc

Meaning i'm so pumped for this show but... *sigh* im afraid... for the decline of the quality. Please let it be good.

The studio that produce Gangsta was bankrupt. They just have to finished Gangsta when they have ran out of money. Studio Shuka, seems to make Durarara 2 onward. And I think they are an 'in between' company. I don't think they want to bomb their first non Durarara project.

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 11:14:01 AM »
Also the biggest difference here is that this is an original,so this obviously a project they wanted to do.

Offline Equilibrium

• Background character

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 02:16:41 PM »
Still having PTSD symptoms but i'll carefully raise my mafioso type of story fanboy flag up for this one. In a positive manner....

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2016, 10:11:14 PM »
Good atmosphere and execution.  Some of the historicity is a bit of a stretch though. The Sicillian Mafia at the time was pretty much local gangs operating within the Italian neighborhoods of NYC/Chicago. The Volstead Act bootleggers were domestics.  (Al Capone had Italian parents but he always considered himself an American.)  If anything the main foreign influence was from Canadians who were smuggling down moose-grade hooch from the Great White North.

Nice soundtrack too. It really fits the mood well.  Some of the composer's violin sections sound so much like Nino Rota's The Godfather that he practically should be paying him royalties for it.
HuuskerDu at FanFiction.net.

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2016, 01:41:33 PM »
2:

Loving the Godfather homages (the logo,Avilo's gun being covered in a cloth). The ending was poetic in how Vanno's personal vengeance ended up getting him killed for Avilo's revenge (along with starting a gang war). The big issue going forward is the animation,which is already having a lot of trouble as seen in this episode.

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • samui26's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2016, 02:55:33 AM »
2:

I thought this is going to be a breather episode until the last five minutes of this show. I knew something was off when Angelo said yes to the proposal but let Fango live when he can kill him easily. I am so loving this.
I am not sure if good animes are getting fewer these days or my taste has gone numb because most of what I watch recently look the same.

Oh, another shameless plug. Here's my blog: http://samui26.wordpress.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up