Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 21, 2017, 12:41:38 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not well known bands that should be well known  (Read 12967 times)

Offline Jedinator

Not well known bands that should be well known
« on: September 27, 2005, 07:38:13 PM »
Put some bands that you know of but not to many other people do that they should.

For me its pretty much every band in my sig except for avenged sevenfold, hawthorne heights and yeah. CHEACK EM OUT. Also check out tiger army.

Star wars fan for life.
Bands you all should check out: AFI, Coheed and Cambria, Chiodos, Greely estates, hawthorne hieghts, musturd plug, five iron frenzy, and avenged sevenfold.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 08:55:41 PM »
The Pixies. Period.

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 10:44:11 PM »
Quote from: Tamashii
The Pixies. Period.

Excellent band.  The bass player can really dish it out.

The Nihon Review Presents 2006: A Year in Review

Offline Jedinator

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 07:23:10 PM »
oh. A few more bands that you should most definatly check out are Aqua bats and Boys night out.

Star wars fan for life.
Bands you all should check out: AFI, Coheed and Cambria, Chiodos, Greely estates, hawthorne hieghts, musturd plug, five iron frenzy, and avenged sevenfold.

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 07:39:30 PM »
Other than a very small number, pretty much every band or artist that deserves to be well known isn't.

mu-ziq, Estradasphere, Mr. Bungle, KilloWatts, The Album Leaf, Do Make Say Think, etc, etc.

Even excellent bands/artists that are on the fringe of mainstream usually aren't terribly well known:  Daft Punk, Underworld, Aphex Twin, Ween, etc, etc.

In my opinion, the only two current mainstream bands that haven't been corrupted by their status, and still make good music are Radiohead and Queens of the Stone Age.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 11:51:43 AM »
Hmm...I don't know about Radiohead. They're fantastic...but their recent albums are less than fantastic, which doesn't mean that they've sold out or anything, just that they've lost their touch. Can you really say that Hail to the Theif is as good as The Bends or Paranoid Android?

Offline Panzyo

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2005, 04:09:29 PM »
Carpark North is really good. As far as I know, they're not very well known. At least not around here. Maybe in Denmark since they're Danish, but not here.

And I don't care what anyone says, Eiffel 65 is an excellent band. There's not usually any deep meaning in any of their music, but they're a good time either way.

Offline Ritalin

• http://caffeinated-dreams.net

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2005, 06:11:03 AM »
Quote from: Jedinator
oh. A few more bands that you should most definatly check out are Aqua bats and Boys night out.

Aquabats* ARE well known. As is AFI (sig). And all the bands listed in your sig.

If they aren't well known, typically there is a reason to it. Like, sucking, perhaps? Unless they are corporate formed (boy bands, mostly) it takes a few albums until they get into the public light, or they have to pursue it. You typically need to dig through a huge pile of shit in mainstream and underground music to find something good anyway.

Some of these used to be known (not mainstream), are known by certain type of people, or just not known... but I think more people should check them out:

« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 09:55:36 AM by Ritalin »

Offline Jedinator

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2005, 03:29:46 PM »
Ok yes AFI is well known but aqua bats is not well known here in denver at all. If I went out right now and asked 10 teenagers if the knew who aquabats was 2 ouut of those ten would MAYBE say "yeah their a good band" or what have you. Yes coheed and cambria are well known but Chiodos and greely estates, well same thing witht the aqua bats. I cant even find greely estates on media player. Lets see... these are kinda well known but not incredibly popular. Check out Aiden and Bayside people. The rock.

Also. Ya know what pisses me off, when people are like "I dont like that band because they sold out" Boo freakin hoo. If yuo like the music then you should like the band for the MUSIC they make. So many people are missing out on good stuff because the band is "to popular" and they are trying to be original. Listen to what music you like and just care a little less about the whole "selling out" thing.

Star wars fan for life.

Offline sevenzig

• Administrator
    • Chat with sevenzig using Skype
    • Steam Community :: sevenzig

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 07:14:06 PM »
Quote from: Ritalin
Aquabats* ARE well known. As is AFI (sig). And all the bands listed in your sig.

If they aren't well known, typically there is a reason to it. Like, sucking, perhaps? Unless they are corporate formed (boy bands, mostly) it takes a few albums until they get into the public light, or they have to pursue it. You typically need to dig through a huge pile of shit in mainstream and underground music to find something good anyway.

Some of these used to be known (not mainstream), are known by certain type of people, or just not known... but I think more people should check them out:

True dat.

Offline Jedinator

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2005, 07:24:30 PM »
Well Im thinking that I should have made this the bands that everyone should listen to thread but whatever.

Heres more.
Carter
The Kinison
Copeland
Hidden in plain view
The mars volta
Name Taken
Pulley
Atreyu

they all rock. Some  of them are well known but just lirsen to them if you have not already.

Star wars fan for life.

Offline hayama

• Reviewer

Re: Not well known bands that should be well known
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 10:07:13 PM »
These are two bands that I saw in house shows that I absolutely love and hope will get more attention in the future:

Momentary Prophets:
http://momentaryprophets.bandcamp.com/

My favorite song by them is Drawing the White.

Also Golden Ghost:
http://heygoldenghost.bandcamp.com/album/eudaimonia

They sort of remind me of Joanna Newsom in their long, not repetitive song making. My favorite track of this CD is "The Bee That Stings".
Pages: [1]   Go Up