Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 18, 2017, 04:17:15 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New Game!  (Read 2117 times)

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Re: New Game!
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2016, 02:51:28 AM »
Final:

****ing post credits scene...

Thoughts:  I am now positive that when it comes to animation studios, there is Dogakobo and then there is everybody else.  Well, at least when it comes to the slice of life moe and comedy stuff, I mean, 11Eyes was just terrible, and that Devil and Realist thing...

Anyhow, when they want to do the light and fluffy thing, it is something I simply can't put away.  Ever since Yuru Yuri, they've captured my attention whenever they do something like this, and while I will never say that all of them are good like Love Lab is, they're at least not boring.  Entertainment is important, even if the technical stuff isn't as solid.

I think New Game's biggest flaw is how much they teased some workplace drama and then never bothered.  That teasing, though, left me wanting, because it seems they can do it.  Like Kyoto Animation playing with random dramatic moments in Lucky Star, it felt so out of place that you wanted to see what else they could do.  I'm hoping they do something more dramatic in the future, just not as melodramatic and hackneyed as Plastic Memories.

7/10
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Major Tom

• PYON!
    • MajorTom's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2016, 06:16:57 AM »
When all is said and done, that was actually quite good, once I got over it not being Shirobako (which I've probably said too many times now).  It was entertaining  throughout, solid though not mind blowing.  A good example of moe SoL.  I think its worth a solid 7/10.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 08:23:55 PM »
Season 2-1:

I'm not sure if there was a fervent clamor for more New Game, but here we is.  The first episode actually aired a while ago as a teaser, but we didn't get it on C-Roll until now, so now we can talk about it.

I'm not sure what there is to talk about, though.  Despite Yagami's penchant for staying the night at the business and not wearing pants, I never got the vibe that this was a heavy fanservice show.  There were moments, and as the series progressed, it became obvious that the director had a penchant for wanting to do Shinbo-esque moments of ecchi-sakuga (especially with Hifumi, and who could blame him?).  At the end of the day, though, it was light and fluffy cute girls doing came coding in a rather not stressful work environment with a pack of eccentric weirdos.  Also, Aoba's cute exterior belies a mischievous little devil inside that can be quite endearing.  And erotic.

Anyway, so we start this one off reminding us what the director likes:  Shinbo-esque moments of ecchi-sakuga with Yagami giving us every angle possible to show off her gender confusing red manties (look it up).  It wasn't even subtle either, and I appreciate that kind of bravado.  Don't pussy foot around what you want to do, just ****ing do it.  However, next time choose something more feminine because now I am sexually confused.

The rest of the episode probably should have been the segment where they were interviewing each worker on their thoughts on the previous project and their plans for the future, climaxing at the lead in to this season's plot, which is Aoba becoming a character designer.  There were a few other fluff scenes reminding us how much these girls are lunatics, and apparently a new thing where director Shizuku takes a rather personal interest in Hifumi's cuteness (who could blame her?) and we end up getting the ultimate question of why there are no men around answered (it literally is done purposely).  I can accept that.

Offline Major Tom

• PYON!
    • MajorTom's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 02:31:50 AM »
Not too much to say about it yet, but it looks like we are starting off straight after the end of the first season. I found it interesting that Aoba didn't get what Hazuki meant when she said 'be a bit more greedy'. Though I suspect this show will be a bit too nice for that, I do hope we get Aoba and Yagami is direct competition for the top spot. Maybe with Aoba learning that if you want to chase your dreams, you're going to have to be a little bit ruthless.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2017, 01:37:57 AM »
2-4:

Mostly been fluff so far, with the conflict between Yagami and Aoba being resolved way too quickly.  It should have pressed through the season, where they get competitive and the resentment built slowly, even if it was only from Yagami's end.  But, this is a light and fluffy cute girls doing cute things show, so, we're not going to get that rabble.  But, this episode really showed they should have progressed that story along the way and add another wrinkle with Hifumi being tasked with eventually replacing Yagami as the AD.  It would allow Aoba to grow out from under Yagami's shadow and Hifumi growing as a person and changing as a character into a more responsible leader.  I suppose this would make Yagami look pretty bad overall, but I think this would have been good for her as well, where she would realize that she was meant for bigger and better things, which would continue the circle of life of any business where the experienced advance to new levels and the newbies replace that old guard and new hires come in next.

But, whatever, just watch some titties bounce and imagine Aoba in slutty outfits again.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2017, 09:21:46 PM »
5:

Devilish Aoba is best Aoba.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2017, 01:19:17 AM »
2-4:

Mostly been fluff so far, with the conflict between Yagami and Aoba being resolved way too quickly.  It should have pressed through the season, where they get competitive and the resentment built slowly, even if it was only from Yagami's end.  But, this is a light and fluffy cute girls doing cute things show, so, we're not going to get that rabble.  But, this episode really showed they should have progressed that story along the way and add another wrinkle with Hifumi being tasked with eventually replacing Yagami as the AD.  It would allow Aoba to grow out from under Yagami's shadow and Hifumi growing as a person and changing as a character into a more responsible leader.

More of the above. Too lazy to retype.

It also high light the attitude between the business end and the developing end. The developing end may not understand the thought process in marketing. When Aoba was not appointed as the the key illustrator, it's business. It's nothing personal. But it will effect the stuff moral. So even though Aoba work could not and will not be accepted, the competition was in a way it's a learning curve for Aoba and a way to restore staff moral.

I can't help to feel that the artistic group is divided into Aoba and Yagami  as a click. With Hifumi, Yun and Shinoda Hajime as another click.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up