Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 18, 2017, 08:30:26 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hunter x Hunter  (Read 770 times)

Offline Sidenote

• Troll

Hunter x Hunter
« on: April 22, 2016, 07:16:12 PM »
It's back.

I'm curious to see who's read/watched it, and various thoughts on the anime/manga. Recent chapter opinions welcome too.

Here's what I think:

Plot is SSS rank. The author has such a broad world it's unbelievable. The intricacies of political involvement, typical (but enjoyable) shounen tropes, fun characters, and more, add up to make some of the most enjoyable reading/watching I've ever had in anime/manga.

Action is amazing. It's refreshing, and rarely amounts to who can hit harder. I think the best fight in the whole story was when Gon 'fought' Hisoka for his badge in the Hunter Exam. There were no blows exchanged, the training sequence didn't include any intense physical exertion, but it was still edge-of-your-seat material. I loved it.

Characters are varied. Something that has pissed me off is how many of them are male, and so many of the females end up being bad guys, extremely sexualized, or non-influential. Mito is a nice deviation, but a quick scroll through the character list shows that there's a huge disparity.

The thing that I hated the most was the Chimera Arc. We'd spent so many episodes establishing how insanely powerful the phantom troupe was, and ging's original crew was, and the higher echelon's of the hunter organization were. Then some ants instantaneously come along that could defeat any of them one v one like it's nothing?! That really felt like Togashi was pulling typical shounen bull crap at the point, and I didn't find respect for the ark until he explained things with the dark continent. Even then it sits poorly in my mouth for being explained after instead of hinted during.

Overall, I consider it high quality stuff. Tons of fun. But not w/o it's (huge) flaws.
Hunter X Hunter really isn't that good, guys....

Offline gedata

• gedata's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @https://twitter.com/G3data

Re: Hunter x Hunter
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 04:23:17 PM »
The ant arc is fantastic doe

Offline Kiniest

• Kiniest's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Kiniest1 using Skype

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 08:17:59 PM »
harvey beaks is the best anime

Offline Sidenote

• Troll

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 09:38:11 AM »
The ant arc is fantastic doe
Pretty much.

I see a lot of that, but like I said, it's more the presentation that sits poorly with me. The introduction of the ants as a plot device was random and relatively instantaneous, with little to no explanation until Dark Continent as to why any of these could reasonably happen in the HxH universe. As the story progressed though, I was able to appreciate the themes mentioned in the article more. But I definitely think there should have been a lot more of that explanation before hand if it's true that so many people knew about this stuff before hand.
Hunter X Hunter really isn't that good, guys....
Pages: [1]   Go Up