Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 22, 2017, 12:10:03 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hot Manga  (Read 4976 times)

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

Hot Manga
« on: May 09, 2005, 07:34:56 PM »
Discovered any new, awesome manga recently?

Some of my discoveries recently:

Leviathan
One of the characters is featured in my avatar, and a scene in the manga is featured in my sig. Hot. ;)
Good manga, very intriguing, but it is so random at times. Maybe it's because the translation sucks, but maybe it's because the dialogue is just hard to interpret. Either way, I'm starting to get irritated by it, I'm hoping things will not be as random. Some plot events go unexplained and there's that casual "this happened, but there's no logical proof to it! Ha ha ha, be puzzled!" deal. Example: Characters popping in and out of doors when they are miles and miles away?

Third Testament
Yeah, I just skimmed this, it sucked. It's not even manga. o.O

Offline ReadorDie

• Teh Newbie Reviewer

Hot Manga
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 07:52:47 PM »
FLCL's a bit of a hot ticket in manga, but the problem is not only is it as schizophrenic as the manga, it's just...not drawn nearly as well.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

Hot Manga
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 04:29:26 PM »
You mean as the anime? ;)

Anyways I'll take my word back on Leviathan. I declare that it sucks. The first volume was very mysterious and impressive, but I started getting into the second volume, I got extremely bored. I skipped towards the 8th volumes and realized that the manga will be going by the same lame formula (what appears to be a really cool manga related to magic and religion is actually a crappy CSI excuse of a child's hocus pocus baloney). Suddenly, the manga feels like a gigantic, really bad 1960s Batman episode. It's just lame, especially since a new character was introduced. Like a bad cartoon, characters some how always meet up with each other (and this new character seems to be omnipresent as anywhere the characters go, he somehow "pops in" on them), and there are coincidental events around every corner. It just was a really lame read after the first volume.

Highly not recommended anymore.

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

Hot Manga
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 04:47:35 PM »
Quote from: Tamashii
Suddenly, the manga feels like a gigantic, really bad 1960s Batman episode.

:joy:

You know I feel about 1960s batman!

The Nihon Review Presents 2006: A Year in Review

Offline Kuma

• Avenging Viking Princess
  • Ex-Reviewer

Hot Manga
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 08:23:38 PM »
BAM! POW!! OOOOF!!!

Great stuff.  I grew up on it and turned out semi-OK.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

Hot Manga
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 04:32:34 PM »
Hard to believe. :p

Offline Dtortot

• Ex-Reviewer
    • http://www.mangareviewer.com

Hot Manga
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2005, 10:20:45 PM »
You should probably start with MPD Psycho, since Leviathan is a sequel to MPD Psycho Tamashii. MPD Psyccho is about a cop with Multiple Personality Disorder (MPD) one of his personalities is the kilelr while the other is the cop, the cop is unaware of the existance of the other personality. I have tried getting into it, but it Project Omanga is slow.

Koroshiya Ichi, for those that like Homunculous and would like a blodier taste of Hideo Yamamoto a true masterpiece of what violence really is. The movie does not make justice, specially because the ending is so darn different, mainly because Ichi is a forgotten character in the movie.

Biomega is another manga worth your thumb. Specially if you have read Blame! which will be out somewhere between September and November in the USA. Try getting Blame! and then Biomega. Tsutomu Nihei owns.

Hajime no Ippo and Yakitate Japan are great mangas everyone should be reading too. If you like the anime of both of them, then imagine just keep reading the great feats of Ippo and his gang and the new challenges Azuma and friends from the Pantasia's Southern Tokyo Branch have for you.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 10:25:58 PM by Dtortot »

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

Hot Manga
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2005, 07:18:31 PM »
My Name is Zushio- The hilarious exploits of a fallen prince fighting to regain control of his kingdom.  Zushio must bring his noble family back to power and become the king he was meant to be.  Add to the equation the king of dragons (or maybe rods), his trustful steed Silver, his patricidal sister, and a girl-boy who has no idea what the hell is going on half the time, and you get an amazingly funny little manga.

The Nihon Review Presents 2006: A Year in Review
Pages: [1]   Go Up