Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 18, 2017, 01:33:51 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tokyo Ghoul:re (spoilers for Tokyo Ghoul)  (Read 1147 times)

Offline genki sakura

• Vwoop! Vwoop!
  • Ex-Reviewer

Tokyo Ghoul:re (spoilers for Tokyo Ghoul)
« on: April 09, 2016, 02:36:28 PM »
Is anyone else here reading this series?

Summary:
Set some time after the end of Tokyo Ghoul, Kaneki Ken is now Haise Sasaki, a ghoul investigator who is now in charge of the Quinx Squad--human ghoul investigators who have been medically given some ghoul abilities. It seems that he has completely forgotten Kaneki Ken, but what happens when his past starts to catch up with him?

I went with a Tokyo Ghoul:re discussion thread because it's currently running weekly. Even though :re and the original Tokyo Ghoul are much darker than anything I thought I'd read, I'm still really interested (and not just because I ship Touken). I really do want to know what is going to happen to Kaneki, and I while I realize it's probably a fool's errand, I hope he doesn't die.

Concerning more current chapters: even though I know the current fight is leagues more important to everything, I wonder what's happening on the island...like did Urie find Mutsuki?

Spoiler for chapter 72:
Spoiler for Hiden:
TOUKEN REUNION.

Saiko for president.
When in doubt, speak Italian and sing "Seven Nation Army"

Offline Sidenote

• Troll

Re: Tokyo Ghoul:re (spoilers for Tokyo Ghoul)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 04:39:40 PM »
Is anyone else here reading this series?

Yup!

Currently suspending all theories, since Ishida Sui has made it near impossible for me to tell what's going to happen next. We know very well what Kaneki wants to happen. But if he really does die, then it leaves so many loose ends that I can't see it happening without some major reveals (who's the one eyed king? V? Arima's purpose in the CCG? why Eto put so much on Ken despite knowing his purpose?). On the other hand, everything in the story seems to be pointing to Kaneki as dying very soon. It's very... difficult. I like how our author has done such a good job of weaving all these things together.

Very hyped. Only gripe with Re: in general is how short the chapters have become in relation to TG. I wouldn't mind waiting biweekly just so long as I could get chapters with more substance. Particularly the ones that are action intensive.
Hunter X Hunter really isn't that good, guys....

Offline The_Outsider

• potatoe

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 05:29:47 PM »
I read a theory on Reddit that Arima orchaestrated the whole thing. His goal was to "raise" a strong kagune and finally "harvest" it to make a strong quinque.

Offline Sidenote

• Troll

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 05:42:55 PM »
73:

I'm oddly disappointed. I feel like the fight with Arima was underwhelming. Kaneki can go neck and neck with Eto, so there shouldn't be such a huge power distance. We've seen Arima fight Eto. He's on par w/ or a tad bit above her. So how in the world did Kaneki get so easily one-shotted?! That was really inconsistent on Ishida's part; there better be some explanation later on.

Another gripe with the fight is that Kaneki didn't show any kakuja. We know he has at least half of one. So where is it?! And why the heck was the fight basically a cut and paste version of Shachi's? It was the exact same build up; a blow here, a blow there, a hit landed by Arima, and then a failed attack to his 'blind spot'. Come on Ishida, I know there's more to it than this.

My only conclusion is that Ishida faked us out with the cliff hanger, and there will be a part two to the fight and it will pick up those holes. Which is ok I guess, but then I feel like that cliffhanger is just plain rude then. But maybe that's just me.

Good things about the chapter: the flashbacks in the fight explain a conflict that we and Kaneki have had with Arima. We want to like Arima. He's got what seems like a legitimately noble reason for fighting. But he never talks. We can't tell what he's thinking andneither can Kaneki. Sasaki respects Arima. But Sasaki can't side with him because Arima won't open up to him. The flashback sequence explaining that was beautiful.

Offline genki sakura

• Vwoop! Vwoop!
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 05:40:52 PM »
I think it's a cliffhanger, as I hope think this is the type of fight that won't end so quickly. Even if there is an interruption, I think (due to the flashback), it's going to end with someone dead/kidnapped/both?

Why is Torso still alive/part of this story? The character had something of a point in the beginning, but I fail to see how his character and his treatment of Mutsuki has anything to do with plot advancement.

Or is Mutsuki going to sprout white hair and start cracking his knuckles...

« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 07:32:21 AM by genki sakura »
When in doubt, speak Italian and sing "Seven Nation Army"

Offline Sidenote

• Troll

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 09:52:41 AM »
75:

Literally the most beautiful single chapter of manga I've ever read. Amazing. Golden week was worth the wait for this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up