Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 15, 2017, 01:29:22 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu  (Read 26355 times)

Offline kam

Re: Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2016, 12:29:36 AM »
So is it OK for an art critic to not know Leonardo daVinci? Because that's what's happening here.

Is that the guy who won the Oscar for Revengenant?  Because I didn't see that movie, but I know it sucked.

No, that's Leonardo Fibonacci.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2016, 12:34:36 AM »
SG (the VN) was originally written by Naotaka Hayashi, who later wrote Chaos;Head and Robotics;Notes, neither of which were particularly successful. He later wrote the screenplay for the series Plastic Memories (2015), which was simply dreadful.

The LN for Re:Zero was written by Tappei Nagatsuki, who also wrote the mangas. There is quite a bit of source material (8 LN vols to date). Per Stark007, the series is getting 25 episodes so it should have an opportunity to develop the plot for multiple vols. 
HuuskerDu at FanFiction.net.

Offline Equilibrium

• Background character

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2016, 12:51:06 AM »
So is it OK for an art critic to not know Leonardo daVinci? Because that's what's happening here.

Is that the guy who won the Oscar for Revengenant?  Because I didn't see that movie, but I know it sucked.

No, that's Leonardo Fibonacci.

Nah that's Leonardo from TMNT

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2016, 09:18:17 AM »
STOP MAKING FUN OF ME >:(
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2016, 09:10:40 PM »
re zero:

that one show, cerberus, this....whats with this generic "cinematic" method of introductory footage + credits?

Idont understand MC's blasse attitude. That is to say, Ive experienced a great number of "tranported to a different game-ish reality" that I wouldnt be mind blown. But having said that, Iwould be deeply interested in ascetaining the particulars of this narative woirld. MC's nonchalance is dumb

the slap resulting in a paw-print was great

Who the **** is this dumbass bowl-cut kid? Who the **** is trying to intimidate?

So this in a more particular KonoSuba?

The surge leading to actual weaponry was a great gag

Mother-****ing blunt bangs

he's even a hikikomori. despite it lending nothing to the story

Satella L. Bridgette.

Whats with this flase kindness bullshit. Obviously our MC is the kind-of schmuck that would help this kid. And that is disregading that he was supposed to be self-aware and therefor motivated to aide this kid as it furthers his "banging blunt bangs" route

and he even knows performance magic. such a swell guy.
and when was it established that yen was the currency. Though nobody dismissed that line so it is not conclusive

Self-aware yet glosses over the obvious racial tentions present in so many fantasy narratives.

D'AWE why are kids in anime always depicted as so adorably tiny.

Yuna Sending Dance moment.

b:

Im not sure whether the continued lack of acknowledgment of the plastic bag s funny or iritatating

What even is this show? This is just out of the range of shit that I can even find it enjoyable.

O shit.
Time travel?
Why?

Self awareness and yet somehw motivated by the death of kawaii girl?

Idk. would fried potato chips not blow his minds and therefore not be enjoyable?Sassafras and such

O hey typical dumb MC.
How he **** did he never even wonder about dead Barteded?

Lol she pulled off the Riddick. Not bad.

All ths time travle bullshit shows me is that MC be dumb and they be trying to have 2 best girls.

Offline Stark700

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2016, 11:48:07 AM »
2:

Good episode. I like the OP song although the ED theme song is still one of my favorites for this Spring Season.

So it looks like Subaru is more aware of his time leap abilities. The trick is how he can use it to avoid certain conflicts especially with Elsa. Felt also gets involved in his affairs as well and it looks like Subaru has a plan of his own. Rinehard's introduction this episode as well, seems like he has a nice relationship with Subaru already.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2016, 01:48:24 PM »
2:

Still very exciting.

I'm questioning how far Subaru can go and still jump back to the apple guy. Are we gonna reset halfway through the series and start over?

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2016, 03:32:28 PM »
1:

Maybe, just maybe, this genre will churn out a good show.
Also, this scene man:
2:

Wot?

Well, clearly calling these "resets" is bullshit; they aren't.

EDIT: So someone put their finger on whats been bothering me about this show:
Quote from:  Stilts @randomc http://randomc.net/2016/04/10/rezero-kara-hajimeru-isekai-seikatsu-02/
More concerning is the character moments that donít make me go ďThis world is horrifying and despair-inducing,Ē but rather ďThese people are idiots.Ē

It takes three deaths for Subaru to clue in to the Return by Death mechanic, which is too much, but not a deal breaker in and of itself. Then Felt attacks him relentlessly, which is a borderline case. More concerning is when Subaru keeps shouting ďListen to me!Ē instead of telling her something that might make her listen. Or when Felt destroys her own shack. Or when Subaru isnít honest with them in the loot house, and doesnít appear to have come up with a plan to convince her. Or hasnít considered how a cynical thief might react to his actions, or how a suspicious half-elf girl might react to a cryptic warning (from Reinhard, I think we can assume).

None of these would be noteworthy problems in another story, because people make mistakes and donít always have a chance to think things through. But this isnít an action-adventure. Itís a puzzle/mystery, and puzzles are most interesting when the protagonist is bringing their best to the table. To elicit the right frustration, Subaru should be doing everything right to the best of his abilities in each reincarnation, and still losing. That would evoke the same feeling of despair that Steins;Gate managed, though to be fair, the lack of details in that crushing montage helped keep it from bogging down.

To clarify, Subaru running into Elsa and being scared is fine. He didnít know he would meet her suddenly like that, nor suspect how scared he would be, so he couldnít prepare. Him not being able to get past Feltís skepticism is also fine, ícause the girl has lots of it. But not seeming to have a plan to convince her other than bowing earnestly seems like bad planning, and itís liable to turn viewers against him and the author instead of getting us on their side.

Whats really happening is that the show is underestimating the amount of downtime its protagonists have due to the nature of the world. They walk from A to B. That takes time. Time which is best spent thinking. This means that its not just unfortunate when its characters partake in incidental or plot-induced stupidity, but baffling as well.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 11:32:01 PM by Pebble »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2016, 12:40:17 AM »
Enh.  I'm not sure I want Subaru to be all that competent.  I was already tossing my cookies with 1B when we're suddenly given the information that this supposed loser is actually pretty good at martial arts.  I'm fine with him being Phillip J. Fry, because that might require him to grow and think at a pace that fits a real human being.  Well, okay, maybe not quite as idiotic and lovable as Phillip J. Fry, but you get my drift.

He's running on mostly fear, confusion, and adrenaline at this point.  I am okay with him suffering through a few more deaths before he realizes what it is he needs to do.  This is the beginning moments of Bill Murray in "Groundhog Day" where he's still trying to figure out what the hell is going on and why it is happening.  He's not thinking because he can't.  If he does, he might have to deal with the reality of the situation.  I assume that moment IS coming, but for now he's running like a chicken with his head cut-off because the scenario is as much a cluster**** to him as it is us.

Eventually he'll get there, but for now I like the way they're handling it.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2016, 02:51:41 PM »
1-2:
It was a decent start. I actually thought Subaru and "Satella" had pretty good chemistry too. Just a shame about the dead thing.

Also more Konomi Suzuki songs. Yes!

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2016, 08:28:17 PM »
At the start of Subaru's third reset the apple seller says to him, "A broke kid, like you, just helped my daughter after she got lost earlier." (2 @ 8:10)   

Huh?  Didn't that happen later in the timeline after Subaru had met Satella/Emilia and they had returned his daughter back to the apple seller together?   Does it imply that Subaru had reset to a later point in time in this particular iteration?

And why did the apple seller say 'like you', which seems to imply that it was a different kid who returned his lost daughter?
HuuskerDu at FanFiction.net.

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2016, 09:14:34 PM »
I looked at the manga version, Satella brought the kid back alone. We don't really see how much time passes, so I assume we started at the same time and he just spent a good time wandering around.
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline Stark700

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2016, 10:51:09 AM »
3:

Wow, action packed episode. Not even an OP or ED theme song so I'm impressed how much they were able to fit into this episode. Good to see that Subaru learned from his past mistake and avoid a disastrous consequence for Emilia. Even Rinehard got a bit of fighting as well and I'm impressed by his skills, nice. Seems like he knows something that the others doesn't though.

And poor Subaru. He didn't avoid that consequence himself lol.

Good usage of the OST, I can't wait for the soundtrack discs to come out soon.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 11:08:03 AM by Stark700 »

Offline Marid King

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2016, 12:22:11 PM »
3:

Holy moly action.

They talk a bit too much for my tastes. Having a conversation in the middle of a fight really eats through the tension.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2016, 12:27:38 PM »
I almost though 'not meeting the apple seller again' . It was action pact. And like Start700 said, he seems to know most of her tricks. But why did Emilla call herself Satella, the Jealous Witch. Ahhh so much cliff hanger. I think things will slow down next week.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14  All   Go Up