Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 18, 2017, 03:15:02 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 14 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu  (Read 26460 times)

Offline Stark700

Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu
« on: April 03, 2016, 10:37:40 AM »
1:

As far as world fiction goes, the show has a very fantasy atmosphere to it, no surprise there. Yeah, I felt kinda sorry for Sabaru to stuck in the new world. Satella's VA did a neat job at portraying her character. I think some parts felt a bit talky between her and Sabaru but I'm okay with it. The show establishes relationship dynamics before plot but it does build up. Pacing is okay, I thought worked fine for the first episode actually until it got to the darker stuff. And yeah, that's death and violence.

I heard this series is going to be a 2-cour so plenty of room to do storytelling. Satella and Sabaru has an interesting chemistry so far as well despite being strangers. There's not much censorship either so it gives a better idea of the violent content.

There's not much real world content but most of it takes place in the fantasy world. They could do a lot with the world building and stuff. OST is fairly nice imo, they really put quite the effort there so far just by what's shown so far. Looking forward to more.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 12:44:09 PM by Stark700 »

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

Re: Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 04:46:10 PM »
So... it's Konosuba x Grimgar x ERASED ?
HuuskerDu at FanFiction.net.

Offline Equilibrium

• Background character

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 01:07:54 AM »

It was better than i expected. The way it handles violence and light hearted humor at the same time reminds me of FullMetal Alchemist. In a way:D

Note to self: Never trust a good looking chick who enjoys milk mustaches. They will stab you. Lessons for life #1

So... it's Konosuba x Grimgar x ERASED ?

None of the shows that ye mentioned were bad so maybe it's a match made in heaven? The anime that saves the anime this year?:D

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 11:33:04 AM »
1:

It was a decent opener, but I thought it was a little too self aware for its own good. It also bothers me that our protagonist is another shut in NEET. Typical LN? We'll see, but maybe it will be a not too terrible way to pass some time.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 03:11:35 PM »
I like how Satella (Emilia?) could care less about Subaru. She doesn't instantly fall for him. She is not a tsundere.  In fact the male cat familiar (Puck) likes him better than she does.  On the other hand she is so blase she reminds me of Inori during the early episodes of GC.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 06:26:59 PM »
1:

NOW WE'RE TALKING! It's an ontological mystery, best friggen kind. I just hope it's intentional, and isn't just a delay in exposition or doesn't get addressed. The characters act like real people, and on top of that are fun and lively. Best show after JoJo I've seen that's aired.

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently there's a part A which I did not watch. And here I was, so impressed with the director's mastery of show, don't tell. Be right back.

EDIT2: OHHHH BABY. It's everything I hoped for. Can't wait for more.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 06:58:09 PM by Marid King »
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 06:44:08 PM »
1:

Basically what Reckoner said.  This shit moved along a little too smoothly for something that doesn't seem to be a parody.  The MC just accepts what happens to him without freaking out.  The world is only comically difficult in that none of his delusional stereotypes about being the protagonist come to fruition.  He doesn't even recognize that hitting that dude was actually effective.

I couldn't tell if this was supposed to be a comedy or not, but it was rarely humorous.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 06:49:20 PM »
MK, LOL.

Per ANN, Crunchyroll has put up a rather detailed series description.  Perhaps too detailed.

Spoiler for detailed series description. WARNING: MIGHT CONTAIN REAL SPOILERS ABOUT THE SERIES:
Quote from: Series synopsis
Natsuki Subaru, an ordinary high school student, encounters a beautiful silver-haired girl from another world. Subaru wants to stay by her side and help her, but the burden she carries is far beyond anything Subaru imagined. They're faced with one attacking monster after another, betrayal, irrational violence... and finally death. Subaru doesn't want to see her get hurt, so he vows to take down any enemy, any fate that comes his way, to protect her. And so this powerless boy obtains "Return by Death," a unique ability that allows him to turn back time by dying. It becomes the potential to guide all people to a world where everyone can always be smiling, dependent on Subaru's life and loneliness. By using his power, the past can be lost, and memories can be rewritten.

Subaru must now fight the fate that dooms him to keep all those forgotten memories hidden within, to be perpetually beaten, to see his own heart wearing down, to wager his life... all to protect the people he cares about. To get back the precious times that he's sure must have happened.

"Even if you forget me, I will never forget you."

This sounds more like Okabe and Makise in Steins;Gate.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 07:02:33 PM »
It was a decent opener, but I thought it was a little too self aware for its own good. It also bothers me that our protagonist is another shut in NEET. Typical LN? We'll see, but maybe it will be a not too terrible way to pass some time.

Basically what Reckoner said.  This shit moved along a little too smoothly for something that doesn't seem to be a parody.  The MC just accepts what happens to him without freaking out.  The world is only comically difficult in that none of his delusional stereotypes about being the protagonist come to fruition.  He doesn't even recognize that hitting that dude was actually effective.

I couldn't tell if this was supposed to be a comedy or not, but it was rarely humorous.

Throw off those wet blankets guys, this is the second coming of Steins;Gate. It's even White Fox.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 08:08:19 PM »
Well, having never seen Steins; Gate, it will be the pre-cumming of Steins; Gate for me.  Which also works with the White Fox.  Because jizz is white.  Usually.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 08:13:07 PM »
Throw off those wet blankets guys, this is the second coming of Steins;Gate. It's even White Fox.

NOOOO. Subaru is not Okabe. He is not even paranoid. Where is the El Psy Congroo

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 11:19:39 PM »

Wake me up if director Hiroshi Hamasaki happens to waltz in and direct this and then you have my attention.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 12:22:36 AM »
Well, having never seen Steins; Gate, it will be the pre-cumming of Steins; Gate for me.  Which also works with the White Fox.  Because jizz is white.  Usually.

So is it OK for an art critic to not know Leonardo daVinci? Because that's what's happening here.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2016, 01:32:59 AM »

So is it OK for an art critic to not know Leonardo daVinci? Because that's what's happening here.

TIF seen more shit. So I'll let it slip by.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2016, 10:36:23 PM »

Is that the guy who won the Oscar for Revengenant?  Because I didn't see that movie, but I know it sucked.

Offline kam

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2016, 12:29:36 AM »

Is that the guy who won the Oscar for Revengenant?  Because I didn't see that movie, but I know it sucked.

No, that's Leonardo Fibonacci.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2016, 12:34:36 AM »
SG (the VN) was originally written by Naotaka Hayashi, who later wrote Chaos;Head and Robotics;Notes, neither of which were particularly successful. He later wrote the screenplay for the series Plastic Memories (2015), which was simply dreadful.

The LN for Re:Zero was written by Tappei Nagatsuki, who also wrote the mangas. There is quite a bit of source material (8 LN vols to date). Per Stark007, the series is getting 25 episodes so it should have an opportunity to develop the plot for multiple vols. 

Offline Equilibrium

• Background character

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2016, 12:51:06 AM »

No, that's Leonardo Fibonacci.

Nah that's Leonardo from TMNT

Offline Marid King

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2016, 09:18:17 AM »
STOP MAKING FUN OF ME >:(

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2016, 09:10:40 PM »
re zero:

that one show, cerberus, this....whats with this generic "cinematic" method of introductory footage + credits?

Idont understand MC's blasse attitude. That is to say, Ive experienced a great number of "tranported to a different game-ish reality" that I wouldnt be mind blown. But having said that, Iwould be deeply interested in ascetaining the particulars of this narative woirld. MC's nonchalance is dumb

the slap resulting in a paw-print was great

Who the **** is this dumbass bowl-cut kid? Who the **** is trying to intimidate?

So this in a more particular KonoSuba?

The surge leading to actual weaponry was a great gag

Mother-****ing blunt bangs

he's even a hikikomori. despite it lending nothing to the story

Satella L. Bridgette.

Whats with this flase kindness bullshit. Obviously our MC is the kind-of schmuck that would help this kid. And that is disregading that he was supposed to be self-aware and therefor motivated to aide this kid as it furthers his "banging blunt bangs" route

and he even knows performance magic. such a swell guy.
and when was it established that yen was the currency. Though nobody dismissed that line so it is not conclusive

Self-aware yet glosses over the obvious racial tentions present in so many fantasy narratives.

D'AWE why are kids in anime always depicted as so adorably tiny.

Yuna Sending Dance moment.

b:

Im not sure whether the continued lack of acknowledgment of the plastic bag s funny or iritatating

What even is this show? This is just out of the range of shit that I can even find it enjoyable.

O shit.
Time travel?
Why?

Self awareness and yet somehw motivated by the death of kawaii girl?

Idk. would fried potato chips not blow his minds and therefore not be enjoyable?Sassafras and such

O hey typical dumb MC.
How he **** did he never even wonder about dead Barteded?

Lol she pulled off the Riddick. Not bad.

All ths time travle bullshit shows me is that MC be dumb and they be trying to have 2 best girls.

Offline Stark700

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2016, 11:48:07 AM »
2:

Good episode. I like the OP song although the ED theme song is still one of my favorites for this Spring Season.

So it looks like Subaru is more aware of his time leap abilities. The trick is how he can use it to avoid certain conflicts especially with Elsa. Felt also gets involved in his affairs as well and it looks like Subaru has a plan of his own. Rinehard's introduction this episode as well, seems like he has a nice relationship with Subaru already.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2016, 01:48:24 PM »
2:

Still very exciting.

I'm questioning how far Subaru can go and still jump back to the apple guy. Are we gonna reset halfway through the series and start over?

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2016, 03:32:28 PM »
1:

Maybe, just maybe, this genre will churn out a good show.
Also, this scene man:
2:

Wot?

Well, clearly calling these "resets" is bullshit; they aren't.

EDIT: So someone put their finger on whats been bothering me about this show:
Quote from:  Stilts @randomc http://randomc.net/2016/04/10/rezero-kara-hajimeru-isekai-seikatsu-02/
More concerning is the character moments that don’t make me go “This world is horrifying and despair-inducing,” but rather “These people are idiots.”

It takes three deaths for Subaru to clue in to the Return by Death mechanic, which is too much, but not a deal breaker in and of itself. Then Felt attacks him relentlessly, which is a borderline case. More concerning is when Subaru keeps shouting “Listen to me!” instead of telling her something that might make her listen. Or when Felt destroys her own shack. Or when Subaru isn’t honest with them in the loot house, and doesn’t appear to have come up with a plan to convince her. Or hasn’t considered how a cynical thief might react to his actions, or how a suspicious half-elf girl might react to a cryptic warning (from Reinhard, I think we can assume).

None of these would be noteworthy problems in another story, because people make mistakes and don’t always have a chance to think things through. But this isn’t an action-adventure. It’s a puzzle/mystery, and puzzles are most interesting when the protagonist is bringing their best to the table. To elicit the right frustration, Subaru should be doing everything right to the best of his abilities in each reincarnation, and still losing. That would evoke the same feeling of despair that Steins;Gate managed, though to be fair, the lack of details in that crushing montage helped keep it from bogging down.

To clarify, Subaru running into Elsa and being scared is fine. He didn’t know he would meet her suddenly like that, nor suspect how scared he would be, so he couldn’t prepare. Him not being able to get past Felt’s skepticism is also fine, ’cause the girl has lots of it. But not seeming to have a plan to convince her other than bowing earnestly seems like bad planning, and it’s liable to turn viewers against him and the author instead of getting us on their side.

Whats really happening is that the show is underestimating the amount of downtime its protagonists have due to the nature of the world. They walk from A to B. That takes time. Time which is best spent thinking. This means that its not just unfortunate when its characters partake in incidental or plot-induced stupidity, but baffling as well.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 11:32:01 PM by Pebble »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2016, 12:40:17 AM »
Enh.  I'm not sure I want Subaru to be all that competent.  I was already tossing my cookies with 1B when we're suddenly given the information that this supposed loser is actually pretty good at martial arts.  I'm fine with him being Phillip J. Fry, because that might require him to grow and think at a pace that fits a real human being.  Well, okay, maybe not quite as idiotic and lovable as Phillip J. Fry, but you get my drift.

He's running on mostly fear, confusion, and adrenaline at this point.  I am okay with him suffering through a few more deaths before he realizes what it is he needs to do.  This is the beginning moments of Bill Murray in "Groundhog Day" where he's still trying to figure out what the hell is going on and why it is happening.  He's not thinking because he can't.  If he does, he might have to deal with the reality of the situation.  I assume that moment IS coming, but for now he's running like a chicken with his head cut-off because the scenario is as much a cluster**** to him as it is us.

Eventually he'll get there, but for now I like the way they're handling it.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2016, 02:51:41 PM »
1-2:
It was a decent start. I actually thought Subaru and "Satella" had pretty good chemistry too. Just a shame about the dead thing.

Also more Konomi Suzuki songs. Yes!

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2016, 08:28:17 PM »
At the start of Subaru's third reset the apple seller says to him, "A broke kid, like you, just helped my daughter after she got lost earlier." (2 @ 8:10)   

Huh?  Didn't that happen later in the timeline after Subaru had met Satella/Emilia and they had returned his daughter back to the apple seller together?   Does it imply that Subaru had reset to a later point in time in this particular iteration?

And why did the apple seller say 'like you', which seems to imply that it was a different kid who returned his lost daughter?

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2016, 09:14:34 PM »
I looked at the manga version, Satella brought the kid back alone. We don't really see how much time passes, so I assume we started at the same time and he just spent a good time wandering around.
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline Stark700

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2016, 10:51:09 AM »
3:

Wow, action packed episode. Not even an OP or ED theme song so I'm impressed how much they were able to fit into this episode. Good to see that Subaru learned from his past mistake and avoid a disastrous consequence for Emilia. Even Rinehard got a bit of fighting as well and I'm impressed by his skills, nice. Seems like he knows something that the others doesn't though.

And poor Subaru. He didn't avoid that consequence himself lol.

Good usage of the OST, I can't wait for the soundtrack discs to come out soon.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 11:08:03 AM by Stark700 »

Offline Marid King

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2016, 12:22:11 PM »
3:

Holy moly action.

They talk a bit too much for my tastes. Having a conversation in the middle of a fight really eats through the tension.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2016, 12:27:38 PM »
I almost though 'not meeting the apple seller again' . It was action pact. And like Start700 said, he seems to know most of her tricks. But why did Emilla call herself Satella, the Jealous Witch. Ahhh so much cliff hanger. I think things will slow down next week.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2016, 12:33:16 PM »
3:
That was some impressive fight animation. Nice to see White Fox deliver on that front.

Offline Pebble

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2016, 03:17:35 PM »
3:

Fight animation was okay this episode, except for the first-person cut from Elsa's persepctive, which was pretty outstanding. But if I had to complain, I'd say that the fights lack any semblance of 'rules', and that there ought to be a bit less talking.

On a different note, OOOO FORESHADOWING.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2016, 08:03:34 PM »
3:

Overall the episode was enjoyable, but this show has got to clean up its 4th wall humor. It's cringe worthy bad.

Offline gedata

• gedata's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @https://twitter.com/G3data

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2016, 08:45:41 PM »
3:

Hopefully the next decently animated fight won't be accompanied with lighting so dim it becomes hard to see what's going on.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2016, 07:31:24 PM »
3:

Good fight scenes, nice character development, a slowly unfolding plot line that isn't instantly predictable, no dumb harem antics, and an MC blessed with suck. All while any heroic pretentions the shonen MC might have had get rapidly disabused.  What's not to like?

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2016, 11:33:20 PM »
3:

Reckoner is right.  Clean up the obnoxious humor borne from a character still thinking that he's some kind of superhero main character and it's good.  For someone who is so genre savvy, he sure doesn't realize when he's ****ing up his own flags.

Offline Stark700

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2016, 11:45:26 AM »
4:

That was interesting. We got introduction of at least 4 characters including the twins. I'm glad to see Subaru building connections with them in particular with Emilia.
Yeah, this felt like a calm before the storm especially with that cliffhanger. Should be interesting to see where this goes. So far, this has been a pretty faithful adaptation.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2016, 12:32:26 PM »
It was one of those 'slow down after a big fight' episode. Subaru obnoxious and running commentary is getting irritating. Surprise ending. So will he be able to date Emilia?

Offline Marid King

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2016, 03:53:58 PM »
4:

Hopefully some of the slow build up will turn out to be important.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2016, 05:43:32 PM »
4:

At the end of the ep it looked like Subaru did a reset back to awakening in the bed in front of the twins for the first time. (They had addressed him as 'guest' again.)  If that was indeed a reset why did it happen? There didn't seem to be any precipitating fatality.

Offline gotarist

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2016, 05:54:19 PM »
4:

I seem to be enjoying this series quite a bit more than I feel I should.  If it continues on like this I think it will be junk food of the highest order.

Is it just me or are the faces of these characters more expressive than in the average anime? Something about the character designs in this series draws me in.

Offline gedata

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2016, 07:15:26 PM »
4:

At the end of the ep it looked like Subaru did a reset back to awakening in the bed in front of the twins for the first time. (They had addressed him as 'guest' again.)  If that was indeed a reset why did it happen? There didn't seem to be any precipitating fatality.
Probably killed in his sleep

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2016, 08:58:52 PM »
Quote from: gedata
Probably killed in his sleep

If that's true (and it certainly fits) then that means that Subaru's death revival power doesn't always send him all the way back to the apple cart.  But why?

Is it because he finally recovered Emilia's jewel at the loot house?  But that would mean his power acts more like a waypoint than a reset...

Of course. He's been transported to a world that has video game checkpoints!  So his goal is to make sufficient progress to reach the next checkpoint.

The story is now a who-killed-me mystery. He doesn't remember dying.  Poisoned? How? Any clues? There are lots of references to cooking in this ep. Rem was seen sitting on the Margrave's lap. They are close (how? lovers? motive?). And Rem is established as a good cook. Hmm...

Offline Pebble

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2016, 09:58:27 PM »
If that's true (and it certainly fits) then that means that Subaru's death revival power doesn't always send him all the way back to the apple cart.  But why?

Is it because he finally recovered Emilia's jewel at the loot house?  But that would mean his power acts more like a waypoint than a reset...

Of course. He's been transported to a world that has video game checkpoints!  So his goal is to make sufficient progress to reach the next checkpoint.

Checkpoints could be triggered by sleep. I would also conjecture that it could be trigerred by the end of day/night cycle.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2016, 10:00:32 PM »
Checkpoints could be triggered by sleep. I would also conjecture that it could be trigerred by the end of day/night cycle.

This might not be true, but I hope it is because that's genius.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2016, 10:21:37 PM »
Until proven otherwise, I am going to cynically assume that the "waypoints" are completely arbitrary and based on no logic at all except "this is where the writer wants him to start over from".

Because the apple stand was not when he "popped" into the world.  He actually popped in standing in front of a fountain in what is presumably the town square.  There was nothing of significance that happened with the apple stand, so why did he come back there?  Answer:  writer wills it.

So don't think too hard about this.  I doubt we'll get any kind of serious answer to that question.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2016, 08:05:43 AM »

This might not be true, but I hope it is because that's genius.

It's not true. He was knocked out by Betty, he passed 5 days before the reset, and the apple stand had nothing to do with sleep. I'm mostly with TIF on this, so I got excited that it might not be so.

Rem and her sister are definitely not human, the master of the house seems to have an agenda, and I'm not sure I buy Subaru repeatedly finding Betty by sheer luck. Maybe she's spying on him?

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2016, 08:31:04 PM »
4:

Well at least the ending of the episode was intriguing. Not surprising that this fantasy world is practically a videogame for Subaru with save points lol.

It was one of those 'slow down after a big fight' episode. Subaru obnoxious and running commentary is getting irritating. Surprise ending. So will he be able to date Emilia?

Subaru is overwhelming the show's dialogue for sure. I hope this level of obnoxious dialogue doesn't keep resurfacing too much.

Offline Stark700

« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2016, 11:26:52 AM »
The ED theme song got updated with character visuals this week!

Offline Gadget

« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2016, 01:31:19 PM »
It's starting to be a gruesome version of Groundhog Day. Subaru is a bit less obnoxious. And it shows a bit more of Rem and Ram. I bet their true forms are monsters or devils. Well Rem smile when Subaru talks about god and devils. But it was really nothing happens. It's not a complete repeat. Maybe there is a bit of the Butterfly Effect. And it seems each time he revives, the events are slightly different.

And as for how he dies. BY the way he was puking blood and feeling dizzy and in pain, I think he was poisoned. Food? Assuming everyone eat the same stuff in the mansion. By gas. Maybe. So it's restart from a 'save point' again.......

Offline Equilibrium

• Background character

« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2016, 02:24:25 PM »

....i like it. Yup. I think i do:3

It hit it's first stride quite nicely right now and i feel the next few episodes will make or break the show for me. Although Subaru doesn't annoy me too much (i think i'm in the minority on that) a small "tone it down mate" signal for him would be really appreciated.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2016, 02:32:01 PM »
5:

Subaru's getting killed immediately after asking Emilia on a date. I'm pretty sure this is seen as him trying to isolate her from her protection, thus blowing his cover as a spy, forcing Roswald to order his death. He'll get through this by winning the hearts of everyone in the house, so they stop being suspicious. On the other hand, that's way too obvious, to the point where there really isn't a mystery, just Subaru lacking some self awareness. I hope there's more at play here.

I'm also increasingly certain Betty is spying on Subaru, or else word getting out about the date so fast doesn't make sense.

Offline gedata

« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2016, 06:18:29 PM »
5:

Why remove the OP if there isn't anything important to replace it with? This show is falling into a bad pattern in which everything besides the first and last couple of minutes is super boring.

Offline Sword Saint

« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2016, 08:14:13 PM »

Some really nice bonding moments in here and once again their snatched away. Beyond just dying got be the worst thing about his predicament.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2016, 09:27:20 PM »
5:

Such an unfortunate turn of events.

RIP intrigue.
RIP interest.
Hit me with the unconventional harem.

Offline gedata

« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2016, 09:31:20 PM »
5:

RIP intrigue.
RIP interest.

Like a VN where you constantly run into totally unfair bad-ends after making the slightest bit of progress towards your desired girl

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2016, 09:41:29 PM »
5:

RIP intrigue.
RIP interest.

Like a VN where you constantly run into totally unfair bad-ends after making the slightest bit of progress towards your desired girl

and no Felt.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2016, 04:03:34 PM »
5:

From 4 we know that Ram has some kind of intimate relationship with Roswaal. In 4 and 5 we see several cases where is Rem is protective of Ram and covers for her.  Rem -> Ram -> Roswaal.  So by the law of conservation of detail the odds are it's Rem (otherwise why develop the protective relationship so much).  One possibility is that Rem is trying to pre-empt Ram (who has motive herself or on orders from Roswaal) and thus explaining why Subaru was attacked with two different methods.

Offline Stark700

« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2016, 11:28:00 AM »
6:

Well...that was kinda interesting.
First half had me laugh a bit because of Subaru getting owned by Puck and Beatrice.

The revelation of the killer at the end imo wasn't too surprising. I think the main mystery still remains the "why". In the meantime, I find the conversation between Subaru and Ram to be interesting in particular the story about the "Red and Blue Ogre".

Oh and Puck is an awesome cat, one of the coolest I've seen.

Hmm, after looking at the story about the ogres, I think that's an allusion about the twins.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2016, 12:21:28 PM »
Oh stop doing the Saturday Night Fever pose. It's embarrassing.

I think Rem and Ram are ogres. And Ram said the red ogre should break off her horns to live with the humans. I think ogres living with human is not unusual. Old Man Rom was one of them. So Ram most likely broke her horns.

And the killer is.......(Go watch yourself. I'm not hiding in the 'spoiler')

I'm curious to her the reason for killing him.

Offline gotarist

« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2016, 08:33:43 PM »
6:

There's really quite a bit going on in this show, now if only it could shed the affectation of all the characters saying things in their own quirky ways. It makes me feel like I'm watching the magic school bus.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2016, 11:40:18 AM »
That was intense. Subaru lost most of his tomfoolery. And he his fear override everything except his instinct to live. I think dying a few too many times is taking it;s toll on Subaru sanity. The reason for killing Subaru was lame. But in the current political situation, it seems reasonable, except for Subaru.

And it seems that his revival is not 'accidental'. His 'witch stench' gets stronger with every revival. So what is this jealous witch. I was hoping her get some information from Beatrice or he research it in the library.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2016, 03:49:06 PM »
7:

Oh my god, that episode was incredible. Bit corny, but more emotional power than a train.

Offline gedata

« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2016, 04:40:17 PM »
7:

Well this wasn't boring but I still have my scrapes with the show namely, the "kill first ask questions later" approach of the sister and the fact that Subaru thought that surviving X amount of days would fix anything alone. It didn't work for Satoru in BokuMachi and it didn't work here since blue wouldn't just stop trying to kill him.

The impact was also blunted by the fact that I just don't like these characters.

Offline Stark700

« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2016, 06:34:31 PM »
7:

Lol, literally a cliffhanger although it's obvious what will happen next.
Good episode with a lot of developments. Didn't surprise at how much the twins about one another.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2016, 07:40:27 PM »
I was under the impression there's a hate plague curse thing getting used on people?

Offline Sword Saint

« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2016, 06:16:08 PM »
I was under the impression there's a hate plague curse thing getting used on people?

There is a curse going around the manor killing people as it effected Subaru twice and Rem (the blue haired maid) once. But it doesn't seem to have anything to do with why Rem attacking Subaru so it's most likely a 3rd party. In Rem's case it's more like he said he's giving off the scent of people who is in league with the Witch of Envy and her Cult who less than stellar reputation. It's implied that they done something terrible personally to her and Ram in the past.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2016, 10:34:54 PM »
7:

That wasn't a cliffhanger, that was a cliffsplat. The sound effect on impact was just eewww.

The show improves 100% whenever it drops the lame RPG humor, especially the fourth wall breakage.

I've been wondering why Subaru didn't simply tell someone about his checkpoint power earlier.  Here we learn that he chokes up and gags whenever he tries to spill the beans, kind of like how the Ultimate Force did that to Belldandy whenever she tried to reveal her secrets to Keiichi in the AMG mangas. I can see why it's needed here plotwise, and making it look malevolent is good too, as it is the first hint we see that somebody or something is messing with Subaru in giving him his Checkpoint power.  (ERASED had always bugged me because it never tried to explain or even speculate how Sotaru got his own Revival ability.)

Offline Stark700

« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2016, 01:22:46 PM »
8:

White Fox really outdoing themselves this season with the adaptation. They really are trying to fit into as much as content as possible. Emilia and Subaru's relationship also got stronger as well this week.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2016, 03:47:07 PM »
8:

Please no reseterino, I like this timeline...

Offline ShadowpulseKDH

• I Pray For The Downfall Of Others

« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2016, 04:01:42 PM »
8: I like this timeline too.  More than anything I am worried what will happen if Subaru resets again.  Like, it's shown how broken he already is and I think that the undoing of the whole "lap pillow" (ugh) thing would turn him completely demented...would be cool to see how he deals with the Shaman in that state though.

Offline Sidenote

• Troll

« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2016, 08:49:30 PM »
1-8:

Perty good. Painful to watch MC die over and over again; the psychological factor of each death is what really makes it. Love how our MC's flamboyantism has changed from annoying stereotypicalness to a broken coping mechanism. While our side characters have some depth, they don't always seem logical in there emotions or choices. Soundtrack is really doing it for me; there's a lot of non-oppressive silence that overlays most of the light-hearted scenes, and the fantasy themed 'horror' music colors the more intense scenes so nicely. Speaking of coloring, the 'red means death' theme that they've set up is good artistic direction. Not only does it set us up sub-consciously every time we see that red hue, it also makes a huge contrast to the otherwise very colorful pallet of Re: Zero.

All in all, I'm likin it.
Hunter X Hunter really isn't that good, guys....

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2016, 10:05:34 PM »
Puck is just too cute. That little furball's kawaii quotient is off the charts.

I want to buy a Puck plushie so the next time one my cats poops in the orchids I can holler, "You do that one more time and I'm gonna replace you with THIS!"

Offline Gadget

« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2016, 05:47:41 AM »
Beako's cute too. Wonder his knowledge of the mansion will play out against him, like suspect him to be a spy. Subaru is a quick learner. I bet he will learn  shadow skills.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2016, 06:24:24 PM »
Hang on, was it seriously the dog?

EDIT: Also, when he had Shamac used on him, I thought the face of the witch flashed in front of him, but freezing the frame showed it was just a flashback of a death. Whoops!

Offline Stark700

« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2016, 02:19:28 PM »
9:

That was great, OST improved again imo especially during the Rem transformation scene.

I got a tense feeling after the episode especially since it was going to get dark from the beginning. Glad to also see CR get the uncensored version as well during the second half. Subaru's suffering continues :(

Offline MCAL

« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2016, 03:18:27 PM »
9:
Well I think we all saw the dog being the one giving Subaru (And Rem) the curse coming, but I didn't expect the dog itself to be the Shaman.

Incidentally, Subaru's VA has been killing it these past few episodes.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #77 on: May 29, 2016, 11:36:07 PM »
9:

A-yup. It was the dog. This leaves some of Subaru's deaths unexplained, so I hope they have that talk.

Good as this episode is, my patience for this arc is wearing out. I really REALLY do not want another reset.

Offline Equilibrium

• Background character

« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2016, 03:59:03 AM »

Am i the only one who found the evil puppy thing to be kinda amusing. Especially in the middle of the demon dogs:D

Also small gripes about the dog being the villain. Seems just a tad like a copout. Just make one of the kids or better all of them shamans and i would've been more suprised.

Oh well it still was quite good so no real complaints here for now.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2016, 06:01:53 AM »
AHHHHHHHH. He died again!!! But he seems to be a bit more open on his revival. Maybe he though he could break the cycle.

Let's see. First death. Bitten by dog. Second death. Poisoned and killed. Third death, killed by Rem due to suspicion. Fourth death, suicide. Rem died due to dog bite. And currently, bitten by monster dogs. And he died twice or three times.  And he died 7 (or 8) times.

Offline Sword Saint

« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2016, 06:14:31 AM »
9:

A-yup. It was the dog. This leaves some of Subaru's deaths unexplained, so I hope they have that talk.

Good as this episode is, my patience for this arc is wearing out. I really REALLY do not want another reset.

What's unexplained about them?

He's death was in the first loop was due to dog inflicting the curse on him.
The one in the 2nd loop was for same reason as the first plus Rem attacking him
The one in the 3rd was Rem again and in which we found out the reason why she went in after him in the 2nd loop and 3rd loops.
4th was suicide. It was also in this loop where Rem got bitten and cursed instead.

Offline Thot

« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2016, 09:14:25 AM »
AHHHHHHHH. He died again!!! But he seems to be a bit more open on his revival. Maybe he though he could break the cycle.
I don't think he's dead, at least not yet. There's not enough blood and dismemberment compared to the other times he's died so far.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2016, 03:16:08 PM »
What's unexplained about them?

He's death was in the first loop was due to dog inflicting the curse on him.
The one in the 2nd loop was for same reason as the first plus Rem attacking him
The one in the 3rd was Rem again and in which we found out the reason why she went in after him in the 2nd loop and 3rd loops.
4th was suicide. It was also in this loop where Rem got bitten and cursed instead.

Main things we need to know are:

1. More on the curse. What causes it to activate, and why is the dog spreading it? Is it just luck that Subaru and Rem got bitten?
2. Who exactly is the full-on demon from death 2? We assume it's Rem, but we don't know for sure. If it is her, why'd she transform for death 2, but not for death 3? Why transform at all when the flail would do the trick?
3. How much did Roswald have to do with deaths 2 and 3? Did he order them, or were they just opportunistic?
4. Why exactly did Rem & crew decide to kill Subaru? He smells like the witch, but is that all? The third death was because he stayed on the grounds after leaving, but what about the second? What did they find so suspicious?
5. Was Subaru's first death solely because of the curse, or was he also attacked? Did they trust him in the first iteration, or not?

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2016, 11:04:22 AM »
My only problem, thus far, with this arc is that we've gotten to see things from outside of Subaru's perspective.  We've gotten to see Rosvaal talking with Ram about her opinion of Subaru and what he means in all this.  This conjures up the suspicion that Rosvaal is having Subaru killed, which culminated with the 3rd loop reveal.  However, that now becomes a huge red herring, yet we saw it again the last loop.

I really wish they'd stop doing that.  I don't have a problem with Rosvaal being suspicious of Subaru, considering the nature of his involvement with Emilia, but we're still not supposed to be seeing anything beyond his perspective.

Offline Thot

« Reply #84 on: June 05, 2016, 02:35:19 PM »
10:

Animation kinda took a bit of a dive there. Was interesting how he's started using the curse to his advantage in ways other than offing himself. And pretty surprised he actually (probably) survived.
Yeah, I can see why this got 2 cours.

Offline Kiniest

• Kiniest's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Kiniest1 using Skype

« Reply #85 on: June 05, 2016, 04:02:11 PM »
10: I get that this is their way of adding some character to and explaining the powers of the twins, but this is really dragging out.
harvey beaks is the best anime

Offline Sidenote

• Troll

« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2016, 04:07:07 PM »
10:

I hate cliffhangers with a passion. Hate them so much. Minus that, it was pretty fun.

I agree with Kiniest though. What they're doing is good, but it's slow. I'm ready for the next arc; let's get going.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2016, 07:56:53 PM »
10:

I'm really starting to agree on the matter of Subaru's dialogue. Constant jokes kill the tension.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2016, 09:05:28 PM »
At least he did not die. So I guess if he dies, this will be the new quick/auto save point. It seems he CANNOT tell people of his Revival/Reset powers. There must be a reason he was pluck from OUR world into this sword and sorcery world. But he seems to be doping hints of his power.

This arc is getting too long. There is still a greater conspiracy at play. Like the reason why that gut slashing killer needs the badge and who hired her.

The puppy seems powerful. How does an animal can become a shaman.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2016, 08:03:05 AM »
It was pointed out to me that in life 3, Ram actually killed Subaru by cutting his throat with wind magic.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2016, 12:38:20 PM »
Finally, the arc is over. A new save point soon. It seems one of the village children is the mabeast master. I don't really get most of what Subaru saying to Rem, but when Rem cries and smile, it's touching. It's like releasing pant up emotions.

Will Emile and Subaru go a date. I hope not more Saturday Night Fever pose.

Offline Stark700

« Reply #91 on: June 12, 2016, 03:01:15 PM »
Not going to lie, Rem definitely has grown to me as a character in this series especially after this week's episode about her background storytelling.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #92 on: June 12, 2016, 03:28:28 PM »
11:

I reeeeeaaaaally don't like it when a character is given zero self esteem, the MC comes along with minimum human decency, and said character reacts like they've just been evangelized. It reeks of harems and lazy character design to me.

This arc in general has been a major step down from the first arc. It's gonna take a lot to bring this show back to the top.

EDIT: So to recap,
Main things we need to know are:

1. More on the curse. What causes it to activate, and why is the dog spreading it? Is it just luck that Subaru and Rem got bitten?
2. Who exactly is the full-on demon from death 2? We assume it's Rem, but we don't know for sure. If it is her, why'd she transform for death 2, but not for death 3? Why transform at all when the flail would do the trick?
3. How much did Roswald have to do with deaths 2 and 3? Did he order them, or were they just opportunistic?
4. Why exactly did Rem & crew decide to kill Subaru? He smells like the witch, but is that all? The third death was because he stayed on the grounds after leaving, but what about the second? What did they find so suspicious?
5. Was Subaru's first death solely because of the curse, or was he also attacked? Did they trust him in the first iteration, or not?

1. Pretty much answered, except that we don't know who let the dogs out.
2. Answered, but you have to read between the lines. Death 3, Ram was nearby, and Rem didn't want to risk hurting her. Death 2 she's free to go all out, and she does so because she's extremely wary about anything threatening her sister.
3. No friggen clue. His relationship is Ram is growing increasingly creepy.
4. Seriously, it is not OK to leave this one completely in the air. These people are friendly with Subaru now, but under even slightly different circumstances, they'll kill him.
5. No idea.

After seven episodes dragging this out, they basically did nothing to illuminate the motivations and players behind the events at the manor. It seemed like we were going get a mystery, but what we got was a random set of events thrown together haphazardly. It's the same deal with the save points; there's no reason behind them, they're just selected by the writer to suit his purposes. I said this could be the next Steins;Gate, but that's completely impossible now-Steins;Gate spent this same number of episodes meticulously setting up the most amazing plot in anime, and set off the bomb with one more. Re:Zero spent the time dicking around. This isn't going to be one of the all-time greats, even if it is a fun ride. Shame.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 10:09:51 PM by Marid King »

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2016, 12:06:35 AM »
I mean this could never be the next Steins;Gate solely because Subaru is no Okabe in the first place. In fact, he's often quite annoying.

Offline Pebble

« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2016, 12:21:10 AM »
Okabe was often quite annoying. It just got better later on in the show's run.

Offline SQA

« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2016, 07:36:08 AM »

Brutal mental torture does change a Man.  And his character development throughout the series was quite good.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2016, 05:58:24 PM »
I'm pretty much ambivalent on Subaru, though I don't really hate him.

The episode was pretty good though. Emilia Date Getto!

Offline Marid King

« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2016, 06:49:58 PM »
Okabe knew when things were getting serious and had the decorum to react appropriately. Subaru's more likely to say, "YOWZERS LOOK AT ALL THE DEATH FLAGS, SAVE ME EMILIA-TAN!"

Also Okabe's affectionate nicknames for Makise doubled as hilarious trolling. Steins;Gate in general was just dripping in atmosphere and character. I wonder if we'll ever see the like again.   

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2016, 07:16:02 PM »
It also helps that Miyano Mamoru is a great voice actor. He really sells the part.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #99 on: June 13, 2016, 10:25:57 PM »

Brutal mental torture does change a Man.  And his character development throughout the series was quite good.

He was 'play acting' by having a Chuunibyou sickness for Mayuri Shiina.
El Psy Congroo

Offline Equilibrium

• Background character

« Reply #100 on: June 16, 2016, 02:14:58 AM »

It's good.

But god damn Subaru stop talking about boob sizes while saying nice things about someone in front of you. It's creepy. It really is.

Annd about the subject on comparing this to Steins:Gate. Well for me they are quite different beast's altogether apart from Time traveling and the somewhat annoying lead. So i feel it's kinda unfair comparison. Buuuuuut to be honest when i've been scrolling the forums during the air time of Steins people've were complaining about it's MC being annoying, not doing the logical conclusions, the plot not answering anything and dropping it for being too boring/Otaku pandering/slice of life with time travel twist....  Btw Fenris and Rukako are complete waste of screentime in that show. Of course until the series midway where shit truly hit's the fan. Aaah bless that moment. AND EVERYTHING WAS ACTUALLY ANSWERED. Okay we are almost in the midway SO it's not gonna probably be the next SAVIOUR of anime but it's still only in the midway so many questions could still be shed some light.  Or it can be an trainwreck and crash & burn. Don't know. But just saying that it might be hiding a trump card move that throws it on a another level. :D Not probable but possible:)

Offline Gadget

« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2016, 11:39:48 AM »

It's a breather. Nothing exciting happens. Subaru went back to his old self. Rem smiled. When he met Reinhard van Astrea, I kinda guess they will be screwed twice over.

But we are no nearer to the reason for his Return to Death powers, the jealousy withch, and the reason for people wanting to kill him.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #102 on: June 20, 2016, 12:41:50 AM »
12:

Spoiler for Hiden:
This is a real game changer. In particular, Felt does not look like her peppy, wily self. Her vacant expression troubles me.

Offline Equilibrium

• Background character

« Reply #103 on: June 20, 2016, 01:22:06 AM »

Is this the main plot now kicking in because the lack of direction where this show is going has gone a tad too long. Also this Al seems to know something extra about Subaru and his situation/condition.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #104 on: June 20, 2016, 01:55:53 AM »
Is that a Kansai accent?

God dammit Japan, **** off.  Yeah, we get it.  You are uncreative as **** and have to invoke cliches and tropes because you suck at building a unique world without them.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #105 on: June 20, 2016, 11:52:55 AM »
12:

Well I'm happy this harem train can continue with my prospective Engineer.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #106 on: June 26, 2016, 12:31:20 PM »

In a nutshell, Subaru blew it.  The confrontation was intense. Subaru got so much frustration, but he just could not tell the most important thing, that his revival power.

And for the candidates,  there's a capitalist, nobility, Darwinian's survival of the fittest, democracy, and revolutionary. To us modern folks, it seems easy to choose. But to put in the selectors position, it seems the democracy (Emilia) and revolutionary (Felt) position are the weakest.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 10:57:15 PM by Gadget »

Offline gedata

« Reply #107 on: June 26, 2016, 03:47:44 PM »
13:

That's what he gets for white-knighting in the face of actual white knights. This is all going to result in Subaru killing himself, right?

Hopefully he's gotten the clue that he can't just bluff his way through everything. He might have helped Emilia in the first arc and the maids in the 2nd, but he seems to forget that they all survived those ordeals because someone strong was there to bail them out the end. Dude needs to know his role.

Offline ShadowpulseKDH

• I Pray For The Downfall Of Others

« Reply #108 on: June 27, 2016, 12:34:22 AM »
13:

That's what he gets for white-knighting in the face of actual white knights.

Aw hell nah.  The fact of that matter is that Emilia is on square one of Candy Land, meanwhile Subaru beat Candy Land, Battleship, Risk, and now he just bought a property on Park Place.  The feelings are simply too incongruous.  Subaru has straight up died for this girl multiple times.  Plus, in regards to fighting Julius, what the hell does he care? He knows he can just respawn.

Offline Kiniest

« Reply #109 on: June 28, 2016, 02:08:22 PM »
13: You know what I would find interesting, for this arc? If they decided to go through the whole thing with a reminder that Subaru has powers. They would use that reminder to fuel a moral struggle in Subaru's head about going back and fixing things versus trying to face the consequences like a real human being. The first cop-out option simply being there would then become a device for Subaru's growth as a human being who understands other human beings, rather than someone who interprets the world around him as his favorite eroge fantasy brought to life.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #110 on: June 28, 2016, 03:01:18 PM »
13:
I actually found this episode quite gripping, so for now I'm okay with where things are going as long as they resolve this in a non-insulting way (I.E. Death Reset)

Offline Sidenote

• Troll

« Reply #111 on: June 28, 2016, 10:36:31 PM »
13:

Didn't see that coming. The whole not being able to talk about the revival power was interesting from the beginning, but I didn't expect this application. Before he needed to be able to talk about it to save him from magical beasts, enemies, and curses, but he was able to work around the no speaking policy. Now he needs to fix a broken relationship, and the one way out of it is to explain his Death Reset power. But he can't. And watching him suffer this way is worse than watching him die, especially seeing the pain of PTSD written on his face, reflected through Emilia's stoney eyes. It's kinda ironic. All this time, Subaru's been working so hard to help others and understand there situations (Felt, Emilia, Ram, Rem, the town's people), when in the end it's himself that needs the most attention. Attention that he can't get.

Once again this show exceeded my expectations. I had been bothered by how perfectly Emilia and Subaru got along. This episode addresses the deeper aspects of their relationship with an upfront, no bars held approach that really defines the draw of this show as whole. I loved it.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #112 on: June 29, 2016, 12:36:10 PM »
13:

Didn't see that coming. The whole not being able to talk about the revival power was interesting from the beginning, but I didn't expect this application. Before he needed to be able to talk about it to save him from magical beasts, enemies, and curses, but he was able to work around the no speaking policy. Now he needs to fix a broken relationship, and the one way out of it is to explain his Death Reset power. But he can't. And watching him suffer this way is worse than watching him die, especially seeing the pain of PTSD written on his face, reflected through Emilia's stoney eyes. It's kinda ironic. All this time, Subaru's been working so hard to help others and understand there situations (Felt, Emilia, Ram, Rem, the town's people), when in the end it's himself that needs the most attention. Attention that he can't get.

Once again this show exceeded my expectations. I had been bothered by how perfectly Emilia and Subaru got along. This episode addresses the deeper aspects of their relationship with an upfront, no bars held approach that really defines the draw of this show as whole. I loved it.

This what the show is clearly going for, but clearly not what it achieves. And by "clearly" I mean "I" felt as such.

I cant take anything seriously when he can just leap from the nearest tower and reset errything. I cant relate/enjoy a character whom bothers with all this bullshit rather than immediately resetting upon the slightest inconvenience. Yea Im sure dying was "traumatic" the first time, but having experienced death multiple times surely its lost all meaning. Is this traditional Japanese Humanism? Is Subaru savvy if his capabilities and actively denies them? For he values what it means to be human? Ultimately, I wouldn't act as Subaru has and he hasnt been realized enough as a character that I care for his mentality.

But atleast Felt is back.

I await his "happy" ending being tainted by the realization that his consistent resets are actually creepy as ****, Groundhog Day style.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #113 on: June 29, 2016, 07:01:32 PM »
Yea Im sure dying was "traumatic" the first time, but having experienced death multiple times surely its lost all meaning. Is this traditional Japanese Humanism? Is Subaru savvy if his capabilities and actively denies them? For he values what it means to be human?

Subaru already said he hated death. The first arc was for self preservation and to prevent the girl he LOVED die. The second arc was to save Rem, who he got to value their friendship. But to do that, he have to save the village children.

It's not that he don't value his life. But he values love and friendship even more. There were hints in the second arc that he could just die and reset. But we all saw that it took a toll on his sanity, until he got the lap pillow treatment.

I still could not find excuses for Subaru to take the challenge. He saw how Reinhard fights. He would have know how knights fight. Was he that confident of his shadow powers? Or if he dies, he get to reset. Or would backing down would be a disgrace to Emilia.

Speaking of Reinhard. It seems that the backer to the candidates will reap some benefits. So Reinhard got 20% chance and he gave a shot. Does he has some hidden agenda like Roswaal. And what is Wilhelm van Astrea relationship to Reinhard. So the van Astrea family actually got 40% chance of baking the future queen.

Back to Steins:Gate comparison.  Okabe break down was gradual. Subaru just keep all inside and explode in your face. And if I was Emilia, I would have problem trying to understand and accept Subaru.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #114 on: July 03, 2016, 11:29:20 AM »

Things got bad to worst. And Subaru seems to be going insane. A few times, his smile looks scary with hint of evil. I not sure what to make of Subaru. He behaves more like an obsessive person than some one in love. And I do agree that he should stay behind. He could not help Emilia. And his decision got consequences.   When I start to like Rem, she's dead. I think he will kill himself again.

Offline Sidenote

• Troll

« Reply #115 on: July 03, 2016, 11:49:06 PM »
14:

Subaru legit going crazy. He straight up scares me sometimes with his eyes.

Rem's dedication and love is a painful but fitting thing to watch.

Tbh, i don't know where this is gonna go. He's had seemingly every single possible slap in the face from reality that a man can recieve. Emilia's rejected him. Reinhart has tried the friendly route. Crusch and her knight tried to give him the impartial warning. The old man stopped his training after telling Subaru that he's not worth teaching. He's been physically beaten to a pulp and publically shamed. If this death doesn't help to at least sorta snap him out of it, I don't know what will.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #116 on: July 04, 2016, 01:34:37 AM »
14:

Subaru has never been particularly likeable, but he's become utterly repugnant since this arc started.  I love the fact that the author is willing to knock his hero down a peg or three, because this is the kind of thing that can drive him forward to maturity and change.  He's been acting like a selfish moron for some time now, and has gotten away with it because the ends justified the means.  That isn't the case right now.  He's in over his head, and he knows it, and hates it.  He knows he can do nothing, others can see it as well, and it might as well be the biggest kick to the ego one can receive.  This whole nonsense about how "he's" the only one who can stand by her side and how Emilia can do nothing without him is the most self centered piece of irrational thinking I've seen in quite some time.  Unfortunately, I have the feeling some of his irrational bolonga is going to be justified and will just empower him to continue being a turd, but what if it doesn't?  What if we actually get some... god forbid... character growth?

What a damned thing that would be, right?  Developing characters from an LN source?  I wouldn't know what to do with myself after that.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #117 on: July 04, 2016, 02:29:13 AM »
I didn't mentioned this, but the Witches Cultist, those guys that wore hoods and surrounded him, seems to be either respect him or on friendly therms with him. This may got something to do with the jealousy witch powers that cause him to restart.

Maybe after dying again, Subaru really goes nuts, and Rem took care of him as his wife.....

Offline Sidenote

• Troll

« Reply #118 on: July 04, 2016, 08:26:02 AM »
What if we actually get some... god forbid... character growth?

What a damned thing that would be, right?  Developing characters from an LN source?  I wouldn't know what to do with myself after that.

Almost considered pressing that 'Report to Moderator' button for mentioning that around here (then I remembered who's got the power around here, lol). Now that you've suggested it, it most certainly won't happen. I've knocked on all the wood in my house, but I'm still worried that the taboo won't be lifted.

To be fair though, Oregairu had perty good development of MCs. So there's one LN that breaks the norm.

I didn't mentioned this, but the Witches Cultist, those guys that wore hoods and surrounded him, seems to be either respect him or on friendly therms with him. This may got something to do with the jealousy witch powers that cause him to restart.

Whoa, didn't know notice that. Was trying to figure out why they just bowed and left Subaru. Probably because the witches powers are strong with him.

Maybe after dying again, Subaru really goes nuts, and Rem took care of him as his wife.....

Opening hints at a possible shipping of those two. With the way the author likes to break genre tropes, it might actually be feasible.

Offline Kiniest

« Reply #119 on: July 04, 2016, 08:28:19 PM »
14: Sweet. Put the loop after the argument with Emilia and you've got a good character arc on your way.

Offline Stark700

« Reply #120 on: July 10, 2016, 11:32:06 AM »
15:

Definitely one of the best episodes I've seen so far this year. SO much suffering. The pain. The feels. The violence. The hatred. The scars. The love. Wow, this week...Re:Zero has reached a new level.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #121 on: July 10, 2016, 12:10:34 PM »
15:
I agree with Stark700.

Firstly, I mast say I really got to love Rem. She's short. Not a long hair beauty. Not that shy. And not that outgoing. And not a tsundere. And she's not that pretty. In simple words, she's bland and suppose to fade into the background. But she got more heart and love then Emilia. It was fear that make Subaru lost his mind. It was hate that drove him mad. But it was love that bring him back. Rem will do anything for Subaru. Even Emilia never does that. Her selfish confession of how happy she was when she got Subaru all to herself was both honest and happy, and sad. Rem will be my new waifu.

Betelgeuse really remind me of The Joker. A truly mad homicidal maniac, but yet extremely intelligent. And he is a contortionist. That add up to his madness. It has to be painful. But I guess he take delight in pain. And both have green hair. A bit more insight into the Witches Cult. It seems they are named after the seven sins. He is slough. Stella is envy. And Pride was mention. I usually don't like monologue. But the way he interrogate Subaru and the way Subaru response was truly madness.

And Subaru was killed by extreme cold. So who cause it? It has to be that giant lion like creature in the end. I don't think is Roswaal. And definitely not  Beatrice. So the most likely person by elimination would be Puck. And the way he's head just drop off was just.....WTF...

Side note.
I work with liquid nitrogen for 20 years. Things do not 'freeze' like that. So Subaru's death was not because the air was cold. It was 'magically' frozen. The nearest 'scientific' explanation is that the atoms stop vibrating. In DC's villain Captain Cold, he freeze people by shoot them with his Freeze Gun. And the beam freeze things but stopping the atomic vibration. Mr Freeze shoots cold liquid. It's different from Captain Cold's method of freezing.

Subaru finally snap out of his madness. So what's with the fire in the eyes. Going by the way he is developing, He will kill Betelgeuse.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #122 on: July 10, 2016, 12:55:23 PM »
15:

This arc has taken Re:zero to the next level. Majorly impressed.

Offline gotarist

« Reply #123 on: July 10, 2016, 02:05:25 PM »
15:

This series really loves itself doesn't it?

Offline MCAL

« Reply #124 on: July 10, 2016, 03:56:33 PM »
15:
There wasn't a single second of this episode that wasn't completely gripping.

Also Matsuoka Yoshitsugu is actually pretty good.

Offline Equilibrium

• Background character

« Reply #125 on: July 10, 2016, 04:24:14 PM »

Might not be the anime of the year but a contender for the best episode of the year. Just beautiful. Love, hate, madness and violence with awesome last scene buildup. And awesome last scene. The music just.... Muah<3

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #126 on: July 10, 2016, 06:16:27 PM »
15:

Omg this episode was ridiculous.

So much pointless nonsense --> some waifu bait --> humanoid Scottish terrier.

but aleast the credit sequence was cinematic.

Offline Sidenote

• Troll

« Reply #127 on: July 10, 2016, 11:48:24 PM »
15:

That was some real stuff. That was... just wow... might have been the most enjoyable episode of anime i have ever seen since... i don't even know. That was so good I don't even have anything constructive to say. Wow.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #128 on: July 11, 2016, 07:20:12 PM »
15:

Big, bad, over-the-top, and showy, but I'm not really that thrilled. It's basically some of the drama from the manor arc taken to the extreme without any additional changes.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #129 on: July 12, 2016, 03:18:04 AM »
15:

I still don't understand Subaru as a character.  I mean, I can't really relate to his situation because I've never seen the people I know killed several times over, or suffered my own death numerous times, only to be reset back to a point where you can eventually save the day.  But, I get that he's not a hero.  He's about as "everyman" as it gets, and in this world of magic and skilled swordsmen, he's basically a level 1 noob with very few skills.  The one thing he has going for him is the ability to reset back to a save point, something that he hasn't been particularly fond of, and understandably so, and use his knowledge to his advantage.

I get still freaking out over the Guts lady after knowing who she is.  I get being confused over why Rem / Ram keep killing him (or perceptively so).  I also get that seeing his friends die, not knowing he's going to reset to a point where things can be fixed, can be traumatizing.

What I don't get is how he hasn't grown to accept any of this shit.  He breaks down so easily, which might be why Betelgeuse was mocking him, that it comes off as comical rather than dramatic.  You've already seen some shit, dude, somewhere along the line you've GOT to become desensitized to death and horror.  Okay, maybe not this level of horror, I mean some of the shit he saw was heinous, but once he was back at the fruit stand and saw Rem alive, he should have been kicking the brain into high gear to figure out how to get out of this.

Instead, he goes nuts, which is a plot device to get him to meet Betelgeuse for the first time, watch Rem get again slaughtered, and find out that she loves him.  It took him vowing to kill Betelgeuse to "get over" his trauma?  Revenge is what has allowed him to snap back to reality and realize he has a chance to fix things?  The ****, yo?  When is he going to get it through his head.

As for our villain, yeah I can see the Joker comparisons.  It is obvious the character design was going for similar visage.  Green hair, ridiculously wide grin, pale white skin, purple clothing... but he also bears a resemblance to another character who shares his name, the Tim Burton created Beetlejuice.  I'm sure neither of these things are coincidental.  As for his behavior, he doesn't really resemble either.  Joker is sadistic, but rarely allows himself to drastically lose his composure to this level.  Beetlejuice is more apt to flip back and forth between utterly insane and straight as an arrow (thanks to brilliant acting by Michael Keaton).  He actually reminds me more of Gates from Full Metal Panic TSR, who is still one of my favorite villains of all time.  So, yeah, Betelgeuse is an effective antagonist with no redeeming value that you can both love from a dark point of view and loathe because he keeps murdering our loli maids.  Regardless, the animators at White Fox were just having a shit ton of fun animating him, and the seiyuu (Yoshitsugu "Kirito" Matsuoka) appropriately chews the scenery.  Speaking of Matsuoka, I don't know if I've ever actually seen him get a chance to do a character that is way outside his normal typecast role, so it is good to see him just enjoy the hell out of a different character for a change.

Anyway, the episode was good, but Subaru remains irritating on a lot of levels.  Maybe revenge mode will give me the character development I'm looking for.  Maybe not, who knows.  One thing is for certain, Puck is not to be ****ed with.  I'm not sure if he's gone ballistic because Emilia is dead or if this is just full power Elder Spirit God mode he's doing to protect her, but he's a bad ma.. um... what is he?  A cat?  Squirrel?  Retarded monkey?

Offline Gadget

« Reply #130 on: July 12, 2016, 04:57:46 AM »
Regardless, the animators at White Fox were just having a shit ton of fun animating him, and the seiyuu (Yoshitsugu "Kirito" Matsuoka) appropriately chews the scenery.  Speaking of Matsuoka, I don't know if I've ever actually seen him get a chance to do a character that is way outside his normal typecast role, so it is good to see him just enjoy the hell out of a different character for a change.

Freed Sellzen in High School DxD. He was a mad and sadistic priest. It's not the first time he did a bad guy/psycho role. And don't forget the love sick puppy as Natsuki Hashiba in Nijiiro Days. Wait, he was already a love sick puppy in SAO.

Offline Sidenote

• Troll

« Reply #131 on: July 12, 2016, 06:25:43 AM »
What I don't get is how he hasn't grown to accept any of this shit.  He breaks down so easily, which might be why Betelgeuse was mocking him, that it comes off as comical rather than dramatic.  You've already seen some shit, dude, somewhere along the line you've GOT to become desensitized to death and horror.  Okay, maybe not this level of horror, I mean some of the shit he saw was heinous, but once he was back at the fruit stand and saw Rem alive, he should have been kicking the brain into high gear to figure out how to get out of this.

Yeah, he's a little slow, but the lovely, gruesome presentation made up for it. I think though that the shocker was dealing with the death of his friends (as opposed to his own death) in tandem with the recent ego/personality breakdown after arguing w/ Emilia.

Instead, he goes nuts, which is a plot device to get him to meet Betelgeuse for the first time, watch Rem get again slaughtered, and find out that she loves him.  It took him vowing to kill Betelgeuse to "get over" his trauma?  Revenge is what has allowed him to snap back to reality and realize he has a chance to fix things?  The ****, yo?  When is he going to get it through his head.

I'm slightly worried about his character though. I don't see revenge as being a stabilizer that can last. I don't know why, but after Betelguese calls Subaru "Pride" and Rem comments on the increased witches scent in the very last scene, it doesn't really feel like the fire in his eyes is actually for better. I get this sneaking suspicion that Subaru might not be a good guy... at least, not yet.

Offline Thot

« Reply #132 on: July 12, 2016, 09:13:53 AM »
I still don't understand Subaru as a character.  I mean, I can't really relate to his situation because I've never seen the people I know killed several times over, or suffered my own death numerous times, only to be reset back to a point where you can eventually save the day.  But, I get that he's not a hero.  He's about as "everyman" as it gets, and in this world of magic and skilled swordsmen, he's basically a level 1 noob with very few skills.  The one thing he has going for him is the ability to reset back to a save point, something that he hasn't been particularly fond of, and understandably so, and use his knowledge to his advantage.

I get still freaking out over the Guts lady after knowing who she is.  I get being confused over why Rem / Ram keep killing him (or perceptively so).  I also get that seeing his friends die, not knowing he's going to reset to a point where things can be fixed, can be traumatizing.

Betelgeuse called him Pride. Looking at what Subaru has done so far in light of that, you could say that he's not a hero, but he really likes to think of himself as one. At the beginning of the series, he was really into the whole adventure in a different world thing. Maybe part of the reason he's taking things so hard is because he gets shown repeatedly how weak and powerless he really is. And right after he screamed at Emilia how important he is and how it's all thanks to him things worked out.
Makes sense that he'd want to kill Betelgeuse after he belittled him so much. Then there's how Emilia told him he'd done everything for himself, not for her, which was brought up again this episode.

I wonder whether he got called into this world to fill the slot of an apostle. And how Emilia fits into all of this, considering the apostles (or at least Sloth, anyway) seem to be really interested in killing her.

Offline Stark700

« Reply #133 on: July 17, 2016, 04:54:16 PM »
16:

Feels like Subaru is getting more and more broken each time I see him. Interesting character interactions between him and the other candidates and the length he tries to go through to save Emilia. That cliffhanger got me hyped for next week's episode!

Offline gedata

« Reply #134 on: July 17, 2016, 09:09:30 PM »
16:

In the face of all that emasculation by Emilia's rivals, Subaru's attempted beta uprising against the Witch Cult will likely have to wait for another reset.

Offline Kiniest

« Reply #135 on: July 19, 2016, 10:24:34 AM »
15:

You know, for a second there, I deluded myself that this show knew what it was doing with Subaru, and where it was going with this plotline. I thought that it understood the way Subaru felt about the world around him and knew why he acted the way he did. I was even about to write a few paragraphs on why Subaru acts the way he does, prepared to argue with TIF’s comments on the episode.

Man, was I wrong. That was not Steins;Gate. More like Akame ga Kill.

Listen, I’m fine with Subaru kidding himself about the way people will act in this world. I understand that he’s kind of a social reject who thought he could charm the people of the less “realistic” universe with his quirky attitude and cheerful attire. Maybe everything about his character does revolve around his attitude towards his initial world and his obsession with Visual Novel and Light Novel fare. Maybe this show still is about Subaru learning that people are going act just as reasonable towards him in this world as they would in the real one, and that simply being in the “universe of your dreams” doesn’t mean it’s built around you.

Maybe I was seeing something that wasn’t there. But this was just about slapping despair onto our protagonist’s face, making him suffer as much as possible, and then making him “stronger” as a result, even though nothing about anything that happened made any sense, narratively or logically.

I was fine with the gravity of the situation overpowering Subaru’s attitude towards being able to reset. I imagine going for the reset knowing you’re going to have to experience hell twenty times over and watch the people you love die is a horrifying thing. If this breaks Subaru for an episode or two, fine. Have fun letting the artists draw dark, brooding background and horrified faces, and let the voice actors show off how terrified their characters can get. We understand that this world is not a kind, gentle place where the protagonist gets to live out his otaku dreams. But you need to do it in a way that makes sense.

Let me put it this way – if you were making soup, and you added too much salt and ruined the dish, do you think adding more salt is going to fix it somehow? That is to say, if seeing Rem and co. dead is enough to snap Subaru into insanity, why would seeing Rem be murdered snap him out of it? I get that they’re different situations and maybe they’re impactful in different ways, but this just doesn’t make sense. Get something else to snap him out of it, or don’t put him in it to begin with.

Also, the new villain is awful. All of this show’s villains are awful. Betelguese came right out of Akame ga Kill – animating like he came right out of an Imaishi show, repeating the exact same kinds of gimmicky lines over and over, posing in the most ridiculous manners… Instead of feeling terrified or angry at the sight of this guy, I couldn’t stop thinking about how he needed some Ritalin.

Plus, Rem crawling over to Subaru after that sort of beating? I mean, really? I get that maybe they’ve got tougher anatomy and could withstand more, but she had her neck snapped, for god’s sake. The whole thing just came off as silly. I can’t really feel scared for these characters when I know the dude’ll just reset when they die.

---

16:

Yes, thank you. This show is at its best when it’s about Subaru’s failures and what he can do to overcome them, rather than people dying at the hands of over the top bad guys.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 10:37:31 AM by Kiniest »

Offline Stark700

« Reply #136 on: July 24, 2016, 11:07:21 AM »
17:

Ah Re:Suffering continues. Subaru just never catches a break from whatever timeline he is in as he loses both Rem and Emilia in the SAME EPISODE. Meanwhile, I like how Puck just shows up at the end and be like "don't screw with my daughter or I will screw you". Good episode, they are still capturing the thrills of the violence again and I think the whale was a tribute to Moby Dick.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #137 on: July 24, 2016, 11:43:47 AM »
18:
I'm a bit tired of the emotional roller coaster. Or actually an emotional free fall. I think screwing up Subaru is getting lame. So either kill him off, of do something different.

But what kinda of power will erase a person from ever existing. I mean it's not amnesia. But even the presence from ever existed is some powerful stuff. It's more like in the realm of God. It could be the same power like Return from Death with out creating a different timeline or paradox.

So who or what kill Emilia? Subaru's curse? Like it's either I kill you or I kill the person you told the truth? The back hands? Or Subaru himself?

I don't think I'm wrong, but Betty got the hots for Subaru.

Offline Aelms

« Reply #138 on: July 24, 2016, 08:53:19 PM »
18:
I'm a bit tired of the emotional roller coaster. Or actually an emotional free fall. I think screwing up Subaru is getting lame. So either kill him off, of do something different.

It's probably necessary to drag it out this long so that we get the chance to see the underlying mechanics behind what's happening. This episode was chockful of them, with Subaru's implied connection with the witch taking greater definition, the role Puck and Betty play in the plot unfolding and the extent of the witch's powers being pushed even further. It's not always just about making Subaru suffer.

Speaking of which, I actually appreciate the framing of Subaru's character throughout the series. We knew little enough of him in the first half to buy into his hero role and now we know just enough to see how full of shit he is in most cases. The show's revealed jackshit about who he was before traversing worlds, but his recent breakdowns and complete failure to connect with other characters convinces us that his shut-in gamer look isn't just for show.

With around a quarter of the show left, I'm already hoping for a second season for the payoff.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #139 on: July 31, 2016, 12:06:17 PM »
19:

Another stellar episode. For all the people hating on Subaru all this time, it seems he bears a lot of self-loathing for the same reasons. Sometimes a good 20 minutes of dialogue can be as captivating as a bunch of action and death.

Offline Stark700

« Reply #140 on: July 31, 2016, 12:31:08 PM »
I think Subaru chose the wrong girl..I mean, after everything that Rem said to him. Quite an episode of dialogues. Also, Puck is a badass.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #141 on: July 31, 2016, 12:43:25 PM »
19:
The girl just pour out her heart. Convert your poison into hope. And you dump her. In all 19 episodes, Emilia could not hold a candle to what Rem did for Subaru.

Out of anime thought:
I am impress with Inori Minase, the VA for Rem. I thought she only does cutsy roles. And she also voice Hesitia. Although the anime was so-so. She did not have the impact like the more refine  Saori Hayami, but her impact was more in a quieter way.

Offline gedata

« Reply #142 on: July 31, 2016, 01:16:21 PM »
18:

I get that the series has been making a point of deconstructing the whole "NEET in a JRPG" setting idea with Subaru's character arc, but I think we're already past the point where we need an entire episode devoted to that. Now it just feels like the author rubbing my nose into how brilliant that idea is. What did you do differently this time besides show? I mean, besides not having anything else happen? All this was reconfirm everything we knew about these characters in approximately 10 times the amount of words necessary to get the same points we've demonstrated before across.

I swear to god if this isn't the end of depressed, self-loathing Subaru...

Also

>Tell a girl you want to run away with her
>She pours her heart for like ten minutes talking about how amazing and lovely you are
>wait I love Emilia tho
Terrible timing brah.

Offline Equilibrium

• Background character

« Reply #143 on: July 31, 2016, 01:55:36 PM »

Subaru just... man... get your shit together. Take the maid, just save Emilia and in the end bail with the hot maid demon. Wait Emilia is an hot royal elf girl right? Okay okay i can get behind that.

But seriously as much i enjoyed Subarus self loathing episode and Rem's confession/heart pouring to Subaru being a hero with zoom out shot and the doves flying (I laughed at that point... Never forget the doves from a confession scene people) it's time for Subaru to do something productive. I really enjoyed the Akame ga kill episode on my part and this one too but now it's time to get back on track. More of learning from my mistakes and trying to fix things on the next try aaaand less miserable self-loathing Subaru.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #144 on: July 31, 2016, 07:21:45 PM »
18:
If you squinted hard enough you can juuuuuuuuust see the light at the end of that tunnel that isn't an incoming train.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #145 on: July 31, 2016, 08:45:19 PM »
Don't ever say things like this, but...

Rem is seriously the best girl. Her unconditional love for Subaru is straight out of the New Testament.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #146 on: July 31, 2016, 10:14:12 PM »
If I have one complaint, it is that these arcs last too ****ing long.

Offline Kiniest

« Reply #147 on: July 31, 2016, 11:00:06 PM »
18: That was a good episode. Now, if what I got out of all of that was just more suffering and despair, or Subaru simply "realizing" all his personality faults and "revealing" them to us, I would not be saying that. Instead, it gets to the heart of the issue: Subaru is a person that is so obsessed with his own faults and shortcomings, and so obsessed with improving himself as a human being, that he really fails to see the perspective or feelings of anybody else around him. This is an aspect of depression, anxiety, or self-loathing that most anime don't tend to touch upon, and the way it's done here is fairly clever. He spills out everything about himself he thinks he's flawed, Rem listens, and then she lists things about him she adores. I've been in that self-loathing phase before, and that's usually how it goes.

When he continues to insist that everything she loves about him is false, and continues to list reasons as to why he sees himself as a failure - that's when you realize this about Subaru. That is, of course, if you hadn't already. When you get into that kind of mindset, what's keeping you there is, well, your mindset. You dwell so much over everything about yourself that you hate that you spend your time and energy on it. And in doing that, you fail to actively get rid of those shortcomings - many of which are brought on by that very mindset. This is a great part of the reason that the man hasn't been able to pull himself together. Sure, he has all the attempts in the world to convince these guys that shit's about to go down and he needs help to keep things stable, but he can't do that because he's too obsessed with his powerlessness, and he can't seem to see clearly around him. So, yes, it does work like that - sure, the understanding and affection Rem shows is beyond reason, but it's certainly enough to snap out him of it and get him moving.

Expect a more level-headed Subaru for the next couple of episodes. It's about damn time. I appreciate it when a series wants to explore its main character, but it really took more time than it needed to get to this point.

Offline Aelms

« Reply #148 on: July 31, 2016, 11:51:24 PM »
18:

Greatest title drop ever.

At this point, ReZero is White Fox's best work until they finally do an original work.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #149 on: August 01, 2016, 12:26:08 AM »
What did you just say about Steins;Gate?

Offline Aelms

« Reply #150 on: August 01, 2016, 01:07:25 AM »
As great as S;G was, I felt its payoff didn't live up to the build-up. There was also the distinct feeling that the anime didn't particularly improve upon the original VN, whereas ReZero is becoming even more impressive by the episode.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #151 on: August 01, 2016, 07:54:10 AM »
What? You want me to get Okarin to sic on you? :P

Steins:Gate got only one objective, with multiple possible endings. Re:Zero got multiple objectives, with one ending. Running away with Rem was a side 'what if' story and it doesn't count. Re:Zero is using a lot of emotional stuff, which is very well done, to make it interesting. Steins:Gate got a convoluted plot, and easy to understand.
Both man are driven by love, with a sweet girl that supports them.
I usually hate time travelling stories. The paradoxes are difficult to make sense. And Steins:Gate did tweak the story to make it sensible. Like introducing the concept of 'Reading Steiner'. And in Re:Zero is like let Subaru die and start from the autosave point. And when he restart by dying, he did not enter a  parallel word. It's the same world. And in some earlier discussion did point out to some plot holes.
Honestly speaking. Re:Zero got some of the most emo set up this season, and one of the best waifu.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #152 on: August 01, 2016, 08:40:13 AM »
Re:Zero is basically trying to jump straight into the mid point of Steins;Gate, and have all the drama and 'payoff' with none of the setup, and then work out the the details later. That's a fine idea, but the cracks are already showing; the arcs are longwinded and meandering, character arcs are recycled instead of continued, and the show is in an arms race with itself on how wild things can get. None of those things would be a problem if the show just had a coherent plot. If anything, Re:Zero is sort of like an extremely twisted slice-of-life.

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • samui26's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #153 on: August 01, 2016, 05:03:49 PM »
1-8:

This feels like a weird mix of Stein's;Gate, Higurashi and a generic LN adaptation.
I am not sure if good animes are getting fewer these days or my taste has gone numb because most of what I watch recently look the same.

Oh, another shameless plug. Here's my blog: http://samui26.wordpress.com

Offline Kiniest

« Reply #154 on: August 01, 2016, 08:48:13 PM »
Logical errors and narrative shortcomings regardless, this show is making me rethink the way I interact with and view my peers. If that's not a success on some level, I'm not sure what is.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #155 on: August 02, 2016, 12:08:25 AM »
18:

*Subaru goes off on a rant about running away from it all with Rem*

* TypicalIdiotFan leans on palm, hot buttered popcorn being ignored...

*Rem sweetly and kindly rejects that plan for reasons that are obvious to everybody who hasn't gone through multiple death loops*

* TypicalIdiotFan eats single piece of popcorn

*Subaru goes off on another rant about how powerless and sucky he is*

* TypicalIdiotFan removes popcorn from lap, puts it on end table

*Rem gives the "I love your <noun>, because..." speech*

* TypicalIdiotFan starts eating popcorn furiously.... popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn....

*Subaru recovers and rejects Rem's confession*

* TypicalIdiotFan throws tub of popcorn over his shoulder and kicks a puppy

Offline Kiniest

« Reply #156 on: August 02, 2016, 01:31:11 AM »
I will never comprehend how TIF and popcorn work. Is there a component in anime that works like a cog, in which movement and activity sends signals to TIFs brain saying "eat popcorn now! do it!"? Can he only continue to eat popcorn as long as those signals are being continuously sent to his brain? The world may never know.

Also, don't kick puppies. That's not very nice.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #157 on: August 02, 2016, 02:02:27 AM »
*Subaru recovers and rejects Rem's confession*

* TypicalIdiotFan throws tub of popcorn over his shoulder and kicks a puppy

Would the mod restrain himself from violence towards small and cute animals. The puppy could be Puck in disguise. If NHR got close down. We know TIF could have freeze his a$$ off. ;D

It seems Subaru is being lampooned in other websites from turning down Rem's confession. Why is Rem so liked in Re:Zero? There are other cute and strong girls. She's not a tsundere. (Thank goodness). There are also short busty girls (Think Hestia from Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? (DanMachi ). BTY, same VA) In fact, she did kill Subaru.

She's not clingy. And I mean that Rem know that Subaru only set his eyes on Emilia. And yet she still love, serve him and support Subaru whole hardheartedly. And she observed the little things about Subaru. Not like the cute stalker in Momokuri. She was happy just to care for Subaru on their way back to Roswaal mansion. And she choose to see the good points in Subaru, while she acknowledge Subaru's bad points or obsession. So it's not blind love. But a whole hearted love, including Subaru's bad points.

She gave up her life willing twice. But I think anyone can do that. But she was also willing to give Subaru up, and still serve and love him. And to see Subaru and Emilia happy together. And that is PAINFUL. But Rem was prepared and willing to go along. And that make Rem's character hard to find in current anime.

I hope I'm making sense.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #158 on: August 02, 2016, 02:05:48 AM »
* TypicalIdiotFan munches on popcorn, reading Kiniest trying, in vain, to understand the greatness of TIF's popcorn eating.

Offline gedata

« Reply #159 on: August 02, 2016, 07:26:04 AM »
A bit of a missed opportunity for them to only flashback to the scene with him at the convenience store when Subaru said he "did nothing" in his home world.

Offline Stark700

« Reply #160 on: August 07, 2016, 11:42:06 AM »
Episode 19:

Whoa this episode...
A buildup but I really like the chemistry between certain characters especially for those who have lost their loved ones against the Whale in the past. Also, I lol'd @ jealous Rem.

From what I heard, the staff actually put a decent amount of effort into the cell phone ringtone (the one that Subaru used as the signal that the whale is coming). Next episode should be quite action packed.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #161 on: August 07, 2016, 12:08:17 PM »
Nice built up. And Subaru applied some of the things he learn about negotiation from the past life.. He may not be smart, be he does learn from failures.

The ringtone/ED is really creepy. To play a happy 16 bit music against a back drop of terror make you think 'is this real? or a dream?' I think many people will die. So talking about dead wife is a death flag? I hope not.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 10:26:44 PM by Gadget »

Offline thanosmat

« Reply #162 on: August 07, 2016, 12:29:21 PM »
The fact they remember their loved ones lost to the whale is a plot hole.

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #163 on: August 07, 2016, 03:45:07 PM »
Stein's; Gate is currently haunting your soul. Higurashi Re: Zero is not but I enjoy the girls in the show. For Subaru? Oh. Torture porn.

18:

I want to kick him after the rejection. You've been together with her longer than Emilia you know.
I am not sure if good animes are getting fewer these days or my taste has gone numb because most of what I watch recently look the same.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #164 on: August 07, 2016, 04:44:13 PM »
19:
The build up to the White Whale's reappearance was genuinely tense with Subaru's phone ringtone providing the perfect atmosphere.

BTW, in case anyone was wondering where Subaru's ringtone came from...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_wm4KmrDH0

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #165 on: August 07, 2016, 09:35:19 PM »
19:

What exactly is the point of going after the White Whale?

How exactly has Subaru figured all this shit out when it really wasn't that obvious before what everybody's plans are?

Is this supposed to help him stop the Witch's Cult from attacking Roswaal's territory?

Is Roswaal going to be pissed when he finds out that Subaru negotiated away mineral rights on his territory?

I realize that "show, not tell" is an important part of storytelling, but there's some holes to all of this logic that I am missing badly.  We went from "let's run away" to "let's save Emilia" to "let's go Moby Dick ourselves".

What am I missing here?

Offline Thot

« Reply #166 on: August 07, 2016, 10:36:31 PM »
What am I missing here?
Subaru managing to figure out that there's to be a search for the White Whale is a bit of a stretch, but after that, I think it works. He's got an army like half of the way to Roswaal's place and giving away the mining rights means that army will have an interest in making sure Emilia doesn't croak. If they manage to defeat the White Whale, he'll have earned their trust to an extent, so he'll have much better chances of getting them to believe him when he brings up the impending attack on Emilia.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #167 on: August 07, 2016, 10:51:43 PM »
19:
What exactly is the point of going after the White Whale?
It's monster that threaten the kingdom. And there there are many people (old timers) that will want to kill it. Might as well use the retired knights. Anything that will help the kigdom will help the election.

How exactly has Subaru figured all this shit out when it really wasn't that obvious before what everybody's plans are?

It was a shot in the dark. In the novel, I felt that the trade negotiation were the main factor to balance the deal. What tip the balance was the location of the white whale. And the Kingdom was not going for open war with the neighbor. So what else could be the biggest threat. The white whale.

Is this supposed to help him stop the Witch's Cult from attacking Roswaal's territory?

It will earn the trust of Crusch Karsten and maybe Anastasia Hoshin. And they will provide what Subaru really want. An armed force to protect the Roswaal mansion and village from the witch cult. And save Emilia, Ram and the villages. And he already got an army from Crusch and the elite mercenaries from Anastasia. So they just ride ahead instead of reassembling another armed force.

Is Roswaal going to be pissed when he finds out that Subaru negotiated away mineral rights on his territory?

Maybe. But Roswaal may be grateful for saving his colorful ass. In the novel, Rem was left behind to be his proxy.

I realize that "show, not tell" is an important part of storytelling, but there's some holes to all of this logic that I am missing badly.  We went from "let's run away" to "let's save Emilia" to "let's go Moby Dick ourselves".

Some parts was cut out in the anime. That question will have to answered by the director. Maybe to cut time. I realize one of the usual trait of Re:Zero is that in some episodes, the OD and ED are part of the episode. It seems they are pressured to keep to 25(?) episodes. 

What am I missing here?

More popcorn? I hope you got krispy karmel and cashews. If not, FAN SERVICE!!! I want to see Rem's .........(Fill in the blank)

As for the mining rights, I'm not sure of current real world practice. I think the mining company have to pay the land owners some compensation. It's not buying land from Roswaal. And Roswaal may not have the mining, trading, transport and marketing powers of Crusch and Anastasia.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #168 on: August 07, 2016, 11:35:59 PM »
I think it's obvious that some stuff is cut out of the episode, and it's clear enough that Subaru did some planning with Rem in that time gap between the episodes and was able to figure out things based on all the details he's been seeing now that he isn't blind with rage/fear/etc.

It would've been nice to see Subaru figure all of this out on screen, but it's perfectly in bounds for what he's capable of so I think it's fair game.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 12:30:19 AM by Reckoner »

Offline Gadget

« Reply #169 on: August 14, 2016, 11:25:28 AM »

Action station. And it seems it's not a simple hack and slash. Ok, there are some heck and slash, but the battle is quite detailed. No long staring down the enemy.

But...they recycle the Anti Godzilla Maser weapon? Like the Godzilla version, they are completely useless.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #170 on: August 15, 2016, 12:05:00 AM »
20:

From start to finish, this episode was ludicrous.

Offline gedata

« Reply #171 on: August 15, 2016, 10:22:52 AM »
20:

Now I know what it would look like to see the Fuhrer King Bradley go whaling

yeah

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #172 on: August 19, 2016, 09:09:12 PM »
19:

BASICALLY WHAT TIF SAID. Why the heck this show goes on unnecessary directions after important resolutions of plot points? GRRR.

Offline Sword Saint

« Reply #173 on: August 20, 2016, 02:36:18 AM »
19:

BASICALLY WHAT TIF SAID. Why the heck this show goes on unnecessary directions after important resolutions of plot points? GRRR.

Um what is exactly unnecessary about the White Whale? Don't you remember the fact Subaru and Rem had to take long route around to get to the Roswaal's territory in 1st and 2nd loops because it was blocking the shortest route? Even if Subaru and Rem found a way past it and got to village in time they don't the have the manpower to fight the Cult or the time to evacuate everyone. Subaru needs an army to fight the cult, hence why he went through all this trouble to negotiate alliance with Crusch and Anastasia, but they won't help him unless he helps them with their interests. In this case Subaru and the candidates needs happened to align with each other because Subaru needs to deal with the Whale anyway since it's blocking the shortest route to manor as mentioned before. He helps them fight/hunt the Whale their help him with cult. So it's entirely necessary and there also the fact Puck hinted at the Whale itself being related to the cult in episode 18.

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #174 on: August 20, 2016, 05:15:01 AM »
So let's say what you claim is true, is the pacing which spent two episodes (and counting) worth it? I don't think so. There are parts I can certainly trim (that flashback for an instance). Aren't there any spell in this world thag allows teleportation (I remember Betty transporting Subaru to some other place in an episode)?

And oh, what the heck is Emilia doing all this time?

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #175 on: August 20, 2016, 05:28:43 PM »
Obviously, I'm with you, samui.  I still don't know how he came to the conclusion that the White Whale was going to motivate people to action.  Here's the logical links:

Need to get to Emilia -> Long way not good, Witch's Cult blocks way, also already there -> Despair for a while, because why not -> Try a second path, leads to Betelgeuse -> Get angry, try to recruit allies -> Nobody bites -> Get angrier, go a different way -> Find traveling merchants and employ them to help -> Different way no good thanks to White Whale -> **** this, I'm outta here -> Use the fact that you know where the White Whale is to convince people who didn't bite before to bite -> Where we are now

The problem I have is, while I understand getting the short path, and I understand getting allies, I don't understand how using the White Whale was going to get him what he wanted.  That's the part I haven't been able to logically link.  In the episode, Subaru just supposes that all of what Crusch is doing is gathering equipment and men to make a run at the White Whale, but this seems ludicrous and, therefore, plot convenient for a couple of reasons:

1). They have no idea where the stupid thing is, which is Subaru's trump card.
2). There has never been any indication given in any of the previous episodes that Crusch wants to kill the White Whale

While I am certain that she might, because the White Whale IS a menace, the fact that she was somehow COINCIDENTALLY putting together a punitive force to hunt it down at the same time while not knowing where it was, making the expedition pointless and expensive, is where the logic breaks.  Some people are pointing out that some scenes are cut for the anime that are in the novel, or that Subaru and Rem figure something out in the interim.  In the other arcs, there has been suitable enough hints to link together the "conclusion" arc in a believable way (though I am still balking at the "shamanist is the dog" thing), but here I don't think the information was given to us enough to make a good case of logical linking.  Right now it just looks like an ass pull.

If I missed something, someone please point it out.  Puck mentioning the Whale is tied to the cult doesn't help.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #176 on: August 20, 2016, 09:12:27 PM »
I think the two action episodes was to make up for the lack of action when Rem confessed to Subaru. Or Subaru died again and he need to hit back at something so that he can be Rem's hero.

Although the hunt was a big operation, it's still not on Defcon 3 or 2. Given Crusch position, it is possible to keep the operation a secret. Especially from Subaru as he is from Emilia camp.

And as for the whale powers.

Spoiler for Hiden:
It has the same powers was the witch as Gluttony. The archbishops of Gluttony can 'eat' your memories and even erase your existence. Just like the mist from the whale.

And
Spoiler for Hiden:
And the battle did affect the relationship between Rem and Subaru.

But I still don't see the link to the witch cult.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #177 on: August 22, 2016, 12:10:36 AM »
21:

I think it's pretty safe to assume we're not going to have another death reset.  We clearly don't have enough episodes left to go through all that again.  Besides, doing another one after all these good feelings would just be the ultimate cock punch by the author.  I might applaud the audacity, but it would get him pretty hated by the fans.  Nah, we're going on to some kind of arc / series resolution here, which means we can probably erase some tension of whether or not Subaru is going to die anytime soon.  Kind of takes the fun out of it, though.

Anyway, they really love their Rem x Subaru scenes, don't they?  The PETIT shorts had a small quip about this, where Emilia has an extra sensory perception moment realizing that her stock has dropped.  I don't hate the idea of them as a couple, and as far as romantic interests go, Rem is one of the better written ones I've seen in anime.  The thing is, she's basically one step away from being Siesta in Zero no Tsukaima.  For those who don't remember, Siesta was a prime romantic rival in the first season, but after that just became an obsessed, manipulative bitch who was only useful for scenes where she was trying, constantly in vain, to win the MC's heart.  It was pathetic.  She did nothing else after everything about her was revealed and was so one dimensional sometimes I couldn't even see her.  If that happens to Rem, I will not be happy.

On a different note, MMO raids are always fairly organized wherein the boss mob has to give the ground based melee units opportunity to whack them, otherwise the game mechanics would be broken to only favor ranged or magic units, and tanks would be useless.  So, watching this, I figure that this is about as close as we're going to get to seeing an actual "raid encounter" done outside of a game environment.  By that I mean a realistic one, or as realistic as one could get.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #178 on: August 22, 2016, 08:42:29 AM »
From ultimate depression to glorious victory. How Subaru has change. I gave some thoughts on why they did 3 episodes for the whale hunt. Surprisingly, White Fox is following much to the letter on the LN. And the LN is not even over. So the hunt is maybe less then 5% of the overall story. So when compress to a 24 format, it seems to be a big issue.

But White Fox choose to downgrade the relationship between Subaru and Rem. Maybe there was an overload during the confession. In the LN, Subaru suggested that he'll try to talk to Emilia of having a polygamy marriage. And Rem trick Subaru into confession after they killed the White Whale.

I agree that the series will end on this resolution. And I got a gut feeling that White Fox will screw us up one last time.

21:

I think it's pretty safe to assume we're not going to have another death reset.  We clearly don't have enough episodes left to go through all that again.  Besides, doing another one after all these good feelings would just be the ultimate cock punch by the author.  I might applaud the audacity, but it would get him pretty hated by the fans.  Nah, we're going on to some kind of arc / series resolution here, which means we can probably erase some tension of whether or not Subaru is going to die anytime soon.  Kind of takes the fun out of it, though.

I think the series/arc will end on Subaru's final death. Then S2?

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #179 on: August 22, 2016, 01:22:13 PM »
But White Fox choose to downgrade the relationship between Subaru and Rem. Maybe there was an overload during the confession. In the LN, Subaru suggested that he'll try to talk to Emilia of having a polygamy marriage. And Rem trick Subaru into confession after they killed the White Whale.

I'm glad they took this out.  That's the kind of harem pandering bullshit this story does NOT need.

*EDIT*

****ing 4chan.  Why do I ever go there?  I had been avoiding any "discussion threads" (read: generals) over there because they're usually full of shitposters, trolls, and spoilerfags, and all the ones for Re:Zero are no exception.  I have now been spoilered on way too much shit that's going to happen, and I'm frankly contemplating quitting before any of it happens.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 03:10:00 PM by TypicalIdiotFan »

Offline gedata

« Reply #180 on: August 22, 2016, 07:32:29 PM »
21:

I'm glad we can finally turn the page on the White Whale. Not just because of the dwindling episode count but I also don't care to see any more chauvinistic flashbacks to young Wilhelm's story that I don't care about.

.****ing 4chan.  Why do I ever go there?  I had been avoiding any "discussion threads" (read: generals) over there because they're usually full of shitposters, trolls, and spoilerfags, and all the ones for Re:Zero are no exception.  I have now been spoilered on way too much shit that's going to happen, and I'm frankly contemplating quitting before any of it happens.
Spoilers are just another one of their anti-normie shields. Been through the same thing but all of the shit I've been spoilrd on has passed.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 08:01:38 PM by gedata »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #181 on: August 28, 2016, 05:51:47 PM »
I know this is redundant, but 4chan's stances on anything is retarded.

22:

Must be an irony thing, but to me Sloth doesn't seem particularly slothful.  Maybe that's the point.  He has to keep active like a kid with ADHD or he suffers pain like Subaru does when he talks about the Return by Death.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #182 on: August 28, 2016, 07:51:04 PM »
22;
Such a shame we lost Yoko Hikasa hamming it up so early...

Offline gedata

« Reply #183 on: August 29, 2016, 05:06:18 PM »
22:

Here's your true Archbishop of Sloth

Offline Gadget

« Reply #184 on: September 04, 2016, 11:35:59 AM »
Oh wow....This is one of Subaru's worst death.

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #185 on: September 10, 2016, 10:48:48 PM »
23:

Welp. That Subaru died again. God, how many episodes does this show have? I mean... There's another freakin' leap by death and we are now at episode 23?! GRRR... The White Whale Arc was too long. UGH!

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #186 on: September 11, 2016, 02:31:10 AM »
23:

I'm starting to hate the director.  His little habit of cliffhangering with something ominous and then going back in the next episode and retconning it to something less ominous is starting to piss me off.  Last week, we left off with Subaru thinking Ram had something terrible and evil, and this week we start with the whole thing where he never even sees her until after the illusion is broken.

Thus, the director has become an unreliable narrator.  We no longer know if anything we're seeing is accurate or not until the next episode comes.  As such, assuming Subaru dies here is foolish because for all we know in the next episode we're going to back up before he got possessed and find out that the whole thing was him just suffering an LSD hallucination brought upon by radiation from the anti Mabeast crystal he was holding, or some such shit.  That's basically the level we're supposed to trust what we're seeing.  While it creates tension, it is artificial and no better than troll behavior.

Considering this is his first major project (I don't count anything Naruto or short form shows as serious works), I'm going to let him JJ Abrams himself and realize that his bad habits can be fixed.  Abrams (sort of) got over his sexual obsession with lens flare, so you can get over this Masaharu Watanabe... if that is your real name.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #187 on: September 11, 2016, 11:24:03 AM »
Subaru has learn from his mistakes. Now it's more like a Mission:Impossible counter plot. No senseless shouting. But good planning base on what Subaru knows before he died.

And the extent he is willing to humiliate himself for Emilia. He really does care for the girl.

But the bro-manship with Julius is rather cringing.

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #188 on: September 12, 2016, 03:45:41 AM »
24. The most uninteresting climax for a successful show since Higurashi S2.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #189 on: September 12, 2016, 10:36:13 PM »
I still think Higurashi S2's ending is wonderful and amazing.  You can take whatever you want from that to mean whatever you wish.

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #190 on: September 13, 2016, 02:40:01 AM »
I am in love with the series well but my reaction when I watched that was 'Eh? Everything's okay now? Why?'. I need to rewatch the show.

Back to ReZero, this episode lacked any tension for me. Darn. They are just wow... That got fixed immediately.

Offline Stark700

« Reply #191 on: September 18, 2016, 12:15:20 PM »
Finished the show today.

I don't mind the ending but really wish they gave Rem some more screen time. I'm glad to see Betelgeuse finally biting the dust though. I mean, he really had it coming.

Also, they played the ED theme song again! That made my day. The Subaru and Emilia scenes were sweet.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #192 on: September 18, 2016, 10:11:22 PM »
25:

This show rolled right down a hill after those first two episodes. Can't deny it's fun, and the highs that came were great, but in the end it's a crowd-pleaser like Attack on Titan or OPM. Re:Zero lacks subtlety, nuance, narrative, and basically doesn't have a point. A fun roller coaster at the amusement park is the analogy I'll use.

7/10

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #193 on: September 18, 2016, 10:31:16 PM »
25:

Oh boy.

I mentioned above that I got spoilered on shit from 4chan, and now it is even worse, because this ending is all happy and flowers and stuff.  Knowing what I know, this actually is more painful a way to go until season 2.  Sure, like someone on Crunchyroll pointed out, it is better to leave things here with a nice mega good feels time than to drop a huge disturbing cliffhanger that we'll have to wait TWO ****ING YEARS to see any more of.  Still, in a way this good times shit almost sucks in a way.  The start of season 2 is going to kill some people.  Or maybe it would have killed them now.  I don't know.  I'm not sure what would have more impact.

Anyway, I'm not going to actually spoiler what does happen, and all my foreboding commentary shouldn't be taken as anything meaningful.  There are more LNs to this, so there's more story to be told, and if you've been paying any kind of attention to how the story has gone so far, you know there's more pain and suffering on the way.  That's just how this shit rolls.  The author likes to torture his readers, and I don't mean that in a "it's okay because we'll get a satisfying ending!" kind of thing, but in the he's really an asshole kind of way.  He has been caught by his own subject matter, in a way.  Nobody reading future LNs for Re: Zero would accept Subaru just going along and solving all the world's problems WITHOUT needing to use his Return by Death to fix what went wrong.  As such, the only way to keep things moving with the drama and to allow Subaru (a relative nobody with no great skills) to overcome these obstacles is to have him abuse the one thing he's got to use to his advantage.

And, so, things will continue in the very same vein as they have.  Season 2 will have more Subaru getting his guts ripped out, and the audience will have their hearts broken, and things will get better, and then they'll get worse again, because nothing in this ****ing story will stay happy for very long.  Enjoy your torture.

Anyway, as far as this anime goes, it has to rank way up there on the list of good shows this year, which doesn't have a ton of competition to begin with.  It is executed well, animated gorgeously, acted with vigor, and overall just has top notch production values.  I don't really have a single complaint about it.  The story is gripping and tense in places, and mindnumbingly stupid in others, with a main character who continues to be interesting in his complete lack of skills and at the same time frustrating because we all know he's supposed to be an otaku wish fulfillment stand-in character.

Can't give this less than a solid 8.  Might be a 9 if I give it more thought, but I'll stick with 8 for now and retain the right to change my mind come Year in Review consideration time.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #194 on: September 18, 2016, 10:47:40 PM »
I mentioned above that I got spoilered on shit from 4chan, and now it is even worse, because this ending is all happy and flowers and stuff.  Knowing what I know, this actually is more painful a way to go until season 2.  Sure, like someone on Crunchyroll pointed out, it is better to leave things here with a nice mega good feels time than to drop a huge disturbing cliffhanger that we'll have to wait TWO ****ING YEARS to see any more of.  Still, in a way this good times shit almost sucks in a way.  The start of season 2 is going to kill some people.  Or maybe it would have killed them now.  I don't know.  I'm not sure what would have more impact.

Almost done writing a review for this show, so I'll leave my general thoughts for that, but I was spoiled 8-9 episodes ago about what you're talking about (Seriously **** MAL), and I think it's definitely better to leave the anime this way since it's going to be a long while before we get anymore. But yeah beginning of season 2 will see A LOT of salt.

Offline Marid King

« Reply #195 on: September 19, 2016, 02:39:02 AM »
From the way you guys are speaking, I can only imagine one thing happening.

Nah, he'd never do that. No way. That's our favorite, yo.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #196 on: September 19, 2016, 10:38:40 AM »
25:
It would have been... interesting to say the least if they extended the ending, but yeah, this is perfectly acceptable ending to the nice surprise of the year.

An 8/10 for our excellent adaption. Here's hoping we do get a season two.

EDIT: By the way, someone counted all the extra time from lack of OP/ED and extra running time and we got 3.65 episode more worth of material.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 03:25:04 PM by MCAL »

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #197 on: September 20, 2016, 03:57:36 PM »

Meh. Subaru is good. Yeah. That's all.

5/10.

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 14 [All]   Go Up