Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 14, 2017, 07:33:52 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10  All   Go Down

Author Topic: My Hero Academia  (Read 15136 times)

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: My Hero Academia
« Reply #105 on: June 10, 2017, 10:42:52 PM »
11:

I...have two problems with this show so far. One is Bakugo. The other isnt so much a problem as it is an apprehension.

You know, they're been trying to make Bakugo a less pathetically one dimensional ragesack. They've tried real hard. Too bad he still sucks. The basic reason for that is that he has no emotional range; any emotion that isnt seething rage has to be exposited, with words, through Midoriya. The other reason is only slighty more complicated.

Unsympathetic characters work because we see in them a thread of logic or an abstraction of some impulse we see within ourselves. Bakugo wants to be the best - already this means he is hard to distinguish from all the others in the academy. Also, he's a dick about it because he believes he's the best. But now that he knows he isnt the best, he isnt any less of a dick about it. The conclusion is that being a dick has, over the years, made its way into the core of his being. Bakugo is at his core generic, and in his behavior unreasonable. Thats really not a good place to start with an unsympathetic character.

So far I've held to the understanding that its only a matter of time till Bakugo goes over to the dark side (i.e. become a villain or Endeavor). I dont want BnHA to do this because its a bit too predictable a move, but if it does plan on reforming Bakugo it has to be in a more creative way than to just trivialise the fact that Bakugo is violent and cruel. The way I suspect they will do it is, well the countervailing passion argument from free market thought. Hear me out here. The argument is basically that free markets utilize our sinful impulses towards the public good. I think so because this hero killer seems to be chewing out exactly this aspect of commercialized hero-society - he says society's attempt to put a heroic veneer on what is essentially vainglorious fame-seeking and profit-motive is hypocritical and shallow; the argument is that sin is sin - if the intention is histrionic then the act is not heroic; true heroism, as embodied by All Might, is independent of consequence or witness. As you can see, this is not a viewpoint that is easily swept away.
However, the fact that the person saying this is a clear villain suggests the author doesnt buy it.

What Im afraid of is that the "resolution" of this question plays out in the quintessentially shonen way that is Midoriya shouting the author's perspective while being all teary eyed and beat up. That would not be a resolution. Unless you respect the opposing viewpoint enough, that would be a statement of an opinion.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 10:58:50 PM by Pebble »

Offline Gadget

« Reply #106 on: June 10, 2017, 11:41:24 PM »
he says society's attempt to put a heroic veneer on what is essentially vainglorious fame-seeking and profit-motive is hypocritical and shallow; the argument is that sin is sin - if the intention is histrionic then the act is not heroic; true heroism, as embodied by All Might, is independent of consequence or witness. As you can see, this is not a viewpoint that is easily swept away.

This has been explore in Marvel's New Warriors. The team has a reality type filming when they are trying to bust bad guys. It make the New Warriors 'the light weight hero team' compare to X-Men or Avengers. In fact, it was an incident that the New Warriors case, an explosion, that leads to the registration act which leads to the first Marvel's Civil War.

And don't forget DC's Booster Gold with all his cooperate sponsors. The funny thing that Stain was a Hero Academy drop out. Something move him to the evil side. He view himself as 'weeding out the fake heroes'. But his acts of violence does make him an evil person.

As for Bakugo, I don't think he'll go over to the dark side. He go too much 'resolve' to be number one. He could be like the anti-hero, more like Wolverine. Mean, dirty, and willing to kill, but a good person at heart. But unlike Wolverine, which is a multi faceted and tragic character, Bakugo is pretty one dimensional and serves as a foil for Midoriya.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #107 on: June 11, 2017, 05:33:34 AM »
11:

Bah, they had to speed through all the other matches. Inevitable, but I hate how this happened eventually.

Here comes the villain who is against all Heroes for an agenda we will know in due time. Is it surprising to see the nature of this Hero Killer Stain villain? Actually, no. This is a BONES show, and every past BONES production has featured a villain who is the antithesis of the protagonist body. FMA had Scar. Soul Eater had Asura. So now, MHA has Stain.

I'm not sure how this show is gonna wrap itself within 14 episodes. Remember, this season is supposed to be about how Midoriya becomes the greatest Hero of all time. How's that possible in 3 remaining episodes?

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #108 on: June 11, 2017, 06:21:53 AM »
Remember, this season is supposed to be about how Midoriya becomes the greatest Hero of all time. How's that possible in 3 remaining episodes?

Well, I think thats what season 5 will be for.

The pace they've taken with this makes it clear they have no plan whatsoever to complete Midori's arc of controlling his power, let alone resolve this stuff with the league of villains and whatnot.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #109 on: June 18, 2017, 06:00:27 AM »
12:

Terribly underwhelming final.

Don't get wrong; the setup has been amazing. But let's put things in perspective: the semi-finals were deliberately stretched out to show just how much is at stake for the main characters. Heck, even the Midoriya-Todoroki quarter-final(?) had the same treatment. Seeing as the Endeavor-All Might side story and a dream final between Midoriya and Todoroki has been dashed to bits, it seems like Bakugo's victory is the safe route. No wonder Bakugo's pissed.

Everyone knows a sore loser, but a sore winner? Bakugo takes the crown, and worse, he has every right to be livid.

But I like the closure for the individual characters at the end. It's a good wrap before starting another chapter, possibly looking at Stain and his agenda with All Might.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 02:21:11 AM by AC »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #110 on: June 18, 2017, 11:02:17 AM »
Only thing I don't like is we probably will never see Todoroki's reuniting with his mom.  That should be tearjerker central, but nope.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #111 on: June 25, 2017, 05:02:05 AM »
S2 13:

Hmm. Seems like this season is 14 episodes long, yet the story is far from over. Plus, I don't sense any closure in the next episode. A sudden break in the series ŕ la Fate/ZERO coming up?

I love the ominous tone at the end there. It's something uniquely BONES about it; even if the studio hasn't had a consistent record, it has a knack for shounen action with a dark twist.

Offline Aelms

« Reply #112 on: June 25, 2017, 05:29:35 AM »
@AC

This show is two cour.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #113 on: June 25, 2017, 07:06:27 PM »
This show is two cour.

Really? Guess ANN hasn't updated that part.

Hell yes, it would be weird to just end there and that. At least now, Midoriya becoming the 'greatest hero' within this season is a possibility.

Offline gedata

• gedata's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @https://twitter.com/G3data

« Reply #114 on: June 26, 2017, 10:23:34 PM »
12:
But let's put things in perspective: the semi-finals were deliberately stretched out to show just how much is at stake for the main characters.

I think that's a big area in which this arc fell flat. The semi-finals did a reasonable job of setting up the emotional stakes of the participants and weaving them into the battles, but the ones before it were pretty much all treated like joke exhibition matches when we all know that the Festival is a rare opportunity for them to get their names out. It feels odd for only a few characters to be taking the whole thing seriously. It was done for the sake of getting to the matches that really matter, and that's a real shame because I like me a good, weighty tournament arc.

It doesn't help that the matches that did receive more time were still really simple exchanges that was lacking in the way of back-and-forths in which both sides needed to adapt. It feels as if the author hadn't yet thought much in the way of how to use the abilities of these characters in more than 2 ways max. It sort of makes sense since their still rookies I guess so I can't be too annoyed. I still can't help but feel as if the tournament within the Chuunin Exams of Naruto were a much better example of how to write battles between superpowered rookies.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #115 on: July 10, 2017, 05:44:03 AM »
14:

New OP. Meh.

It's interesting to note the different in the teaching styles between Gran Torino and that mysterious villain voice (let's call him... Villain Voice). Both are about tough love essentially, but Torino is about nurture. Villain Voice however, seems to be more of nature; that is, survival of the fittest. Maybe a little too early to tell, but he seems to want Stain and Shigaraki to fight in order to teach other what it means to be a villain the hard way.

Interested to see how things will progress from now on.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #116 on: July 10, 2017, 08:57:44 PM »
If you haven't figured out that Villain Voice is the 7th All For One holder, you are overestimating the writing for a shounen battle manga.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #117 on: July 12, 2017, 12:42:14 AM »
Yeah, I kinda saw that bit while going through its wiki fan site.

I'll just call him Villain Voice and play dumb until it's "officially" revealed.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #118 on: July 12, 2017, 03:38:59 AM »
Huh.  I went and spoilered myself to see if I was right, and I wasn't.  Not sure the truth is any more interesting, actually.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #119 on: July 17, 2017, 05:54:07 AM »
15:

I'm very interested in Stain's thinking. He explains that the meaning of 'hero' has been lost since there's been too many of them. Excessive Heroes mean that many of them are redundant individuals who get paid (handsomely, I assume). To solve that, he kills Heroes and that reduces crime rate because Heroes now work harder and more earnestly. In other words, he's more anti-Hero than a villain because he has a (distorted) sense of justice... a somewhat right cause with terrible means. Basically, he's Scar from FMA. Shiragaki is well, he's just the destructive kind of Joker. Straightforward but boring, of course. He's your Kimblee.

Oh BONES, you're surely at it again. Can't complain; the action is in motion right on schedule.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10  All   Go Up