Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 16, 2017, 07:21:14 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10  All   Go Down

Author Topic: My Hero Academia  (Read 15301 times)

Offline Gadget

Re: My Hero Academia
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2017, 03:32:02 AM »
S2 E3
Never win the first contest. Midoriya is so screwed. This is beyond a handicap.

Nice to see they put a few inches in Midoriya. And his 'determine' look is getting cool. Hope he cry less.  Bakugō is looking like a candidate to join the dark side.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2017, 05:39:41 AM »
3:

Life's tough. If you stick out, you attract too much attention. My Hero Academia's a school of hard knocks.

It's obvious that Midoriya is portrayed to be a hero who uses his head to compensate his shortcomings. But he's right: he's been lucky so far. He's clever to think of that mine stunt, but he clearly didn't think the trajectory and force would be so precise that it practically won him the first round. Midoriya's fully aware of this, and he gets my respect as the protagonist.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #92 on: April 23, 2017, 05:36:45 AM »
4:

I was suspecting that this episode was tackling a certain topic, and was glad it actually did. If this episode taught us something, it's the classic Nash Equilibrium. From the onset, it's perfectly clear that the winner of the previous round Midoriya is made the scapegoat and everyone's target. As expected, everyone is going for his team.

Also, it looks as though the game is set up that way. But blond guy has another idea: instead of going for what everyone else does, why not work together so that everyone has a fair share (everyone being Class B)? Especially when there's a divide between the two classes, it's a recipe for cooperation rather than competition.

Also, another takeaway lesson is the importance of knowing the strengths and weaknesses of people around you and of your own. Sun Tzu would be proud.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #93 on: April 29, 2017, 08:29:28 PM »

Also, it looks as though the game is set up that way. But blond guy has another idea: instead of going for what everyone else does, why not work together so that everyone has a fair share (everyone being Class B)? Especially when there's a divide between the two classes, it's a recipe for cooperation rather than competition.

Fired up motivation to be the top will beat them all. Typical anime doctrine that will power is the most powerful weapon.

Midoriya got better control of his power. But I guess his real quirk are geyser like tears. And enhance with One For All.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2017, 05:43:30 AM »
5:

On the surface, it looks as though Midoriya and Bakugo's powers make them formidable. But in truth, as this episode has demonstrated, what makes them formidable are in fact intelligence and persistence respectively. In fact, that's what brought them all the way here.

How ironic that Blondie gave lip service on being cocky, until he got his own comeuppance.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2017, 05:54:23 AM »
6:

Todoroki's background story has a rather dark undertone, which surprised me a little. This show has been light-hearted for most parts, so I didn't expect to see a somber twist there.

It's also obvious enough how Shinso's power is basically mind control. I mean, of course it's mind control; every shounen anime is bound to have someone with this! Catch is, it's based on distance. If Midoriya were to beat him, it's out of sheer will. If everything goes exactly according to my prediction, then I'm not expecting anything outstanding in the next episode.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #96 on: May 14, 2017, 05:50:35 AM »
And the solo train continues to chug...

7:

Yup, all according to plan but I'm still delighted.

Shinso's power is basically mind control but with a nuanced difference where he 'replaces' the target's memory, hence 'brainwashing'. Same thing to me, plus with external stimulus as the antidote.

The social commentary here is how flawed the entry exams are, both in this show and in RL. From the onset, it's clear that the advantage has always been to the offensive. Indeed, in RL that's always the case: quarterbacks, power forwards, forwards/strikers... they're always the one in the limelight in sports. Hence, the ones supporting at the back and/or the defensive/play-makers are always less regarded, and exams like that don't do them any favors.

This episode is a shout-out to all those who allowed stars to shine.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2017, 05:42:03 AM »
8:

Hatsume talked like a saleswoman, but support companies thought she sounded more like a politician. Hence, salespeople are essentially politicians. You know how scary that sounds?

So, how come Tetsutetsu has a power very similar to Kirishima yet ends up in a non-Hero course? Where did he screw up?

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2017, 05:43:31 PM »
Standard shounen nonsense.  The reason is that the author didn't plan this out in advance and just made him up for this arc.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #99 on: May 28, 2017, 05:56:06 AM »
9:

Really? After the deadlock, Kirishima won just because of Tetsutetsu's anemia? Bleh.

I didn't expect the Midoriya-Todoroki match to come so soon; it feels like a match meant to be in the finals. But I suggest that's how tournaments work in RL.

Oh, much respect for Uraraka though. She put in a brave fight against Bakugo.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #100 on: June 03, 2017, 05:01:13 AM »
Awwwww.  Midoriya.............

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #101 on: June 04, 2017, 05:35:56 AM »
10:

Easily the best Academia episode yet.

I didn't think Midoriya could win, even if he's been using a lot of his intelligence. Todoroki's powers are just too much for him. Plus, Midoriya still hasn't mastered his so it's always been a game of endurance or avoidance for him. But one thing this season is different from the previous is how serious the tones can be when learning about each character's past. This is where I really start to appreciate the sheer weight of their resolve to be a Hero.

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #102 on: June 05, 2017, 11:33:34 PM »
So, how come Tetsutetsu has a power very similar to Kirishima yet ends up in a non-Hero course? Where did he screw up?

Theres actually even more bullshit. If you go back to whatever episode it was that showed the entrance exam results, Tetsutetsu was right under Midoriya. I remember because his name is Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu, which was really too hilarious to miss. That detail wasnt in the manga btw; Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu only shows up way later there.

Also Tetsu4 is in some other hero course class.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 12:02:44 AM by Pebble »

Offline Aelms

« Reply #103 on: June 06, 2017, 12:03:00 AM »

Theres actually even more bullshit. If you go back to whatever episode it was that showed the entrance exam results, Tetsutetsu was right under Midoriya. I remember because his name is Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu, which was really too hilarious to miss. That detail wasnt in the manga btw; Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu only shows up way later there.

He's in the other first year Hero class, not the non-Hero course.

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #104 on: June 06, 2017, 02:37:31 AM »
10:

That last kamehameha was rather spectacular, wasnt it?
Gonna wait and see when it shows up on sakugabooru. Might find out who worked on that scene.

Edit:
Well it seems key animator Yutaka Nakamura was directly involved.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 10:07:13 AM by Pebble »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10  All   Go Up