Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 21, 2017, 06:57:11 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10  All   Go Down

Author Topic: My Hero Academia  (Read 14152 times)

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: My Hero Academia
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2016, 10:24:22 AM »
80 years and a different culture and Superman remains boring as sin.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2016, 07:51:43 PM »
80 years and a different culture and Superman remains boring as sin.

At least Captain America is a deep cover Hydra agent.

HAIL HYDRA!! Cut one head off and two will grow!!

Offline Stark700

« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2016, 07:34:28 AM »
Season 2 confirmed.

Meanwhile, I thought the first season was good at introducing all the main concepts, some of the major antagonists, and it also sets up nicely for more in the future. Can't wait to get the OST, it's just so damn good.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2016, 12:22:33 PM »
What.??!!

That was just the intro?? Not the main plot. And I thought Dragonball was draggy.

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2016, 12:37:22 PM »
That backhanded compliment payed by the Principal to the Detective was pretty interesante.   

All-in-all I'll stick around til All Might or Deku or the World as a whole inevitably cause me to rage quit.

Offline CNile

• Reviewer
  • I'm a very gifted post-cognitive.
    • CNile's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with CNile_ using Skype

« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2016, 12:40:52 PM »
What happened to people having the patience to watch something longer than 13 episodes? Everybody here, on MAL, and among my friends is bitching about this show taking ten or so episodes to get going, but that's how plenty of great series went. Monster, Fullmetal Alchemist, Steins;Gate, Eureka Seven, Gankutsuou, Hunter x Hunter (2011), NGE, all of these shows took at least ten episodes to get into the main plot, and it was well worth it with all of them. I'm perfectly willing to give a 26+ episode show a couple months to get going, and it's been confirmed that Boku no Hero Academia be at least 26 episodes, possibly more.
"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream!"

Offline gedata

• gedata's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @https://twitter.com/G3data

« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2016, 03:46:02 PM »
With those examples, the hooks were there early on. I didn't need a lot of episodes to be enthralled with Gankutsuou, FMA Hunter x Hunter or Monster because I saw enough potential in those titles early on to get by whatever momentary slogs they might have had (and 10 episodes for Gankutsuou? Wat. That just seems sort of arbitrary). I think Gintama might be a better example since I've never seen the rallying cry of "it gets better after XX amount of episodes" be as deafening surrounding anything else. Most of these examples are longer then the average anime, so it makes little sense to hold a 26 episode series to the same pacing standards of what's clearly going to be a long-runner.

Offline Rei

• Nothing
    • Google+
    • Rei366's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @Rei366

« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2016, 01:09:15 AM »
This type of story (the ultra-classic shônen nekketsu) is always better in its early adventures than the later all-out fights for the Earth. I don't understand the complaints about lacking a plot, especially in this genre who is mainly a succession of little things.
It was clearly a series whose intent was to introduce the work it is based on. And it did it admirably good. Like I wrote on MAL, this would be the perfect anime to air on national TV channels in the West in order to present the manga and nekketsu in generall to a younger population, who would then be more than happy to foray it on its own.

Was Dragon Ball lack of a "plot" a problem in the beginning?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 01:14:51 AM by Rei »

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2016, 05:38:19 AM »
Final:

Can't complain much about the ending. Things ended the way it's supposed to be. I know that it may not satisfy some viewers, but I like how it set ups for the next season even if the approach is banal.

Much respect for the Aizawa; he seems to be the one who got the most brutal beating.

--

My thoughts on My Hero Academia:

This is pure shounen at its best. I usually don't favour the genre because it's always up to old tricks with the character and plot development. But there's something that My Hero Academia that in spades that most other shounen series don't have or don't focus on: heart. There's a lot of earnestness in the overaching theme of what it means to be a hero, and protagonist Midoriya's sheer determination in becoming one.

Midoriya's character is nothing original: passionate and whiny, an emotional lead character like him is usually the centrepiece of every shounen series. But I have a lot of respect for him for a few reasons: 1) He worked his way up from below; 2) he knows his limitations; and 3) because of his limitations, he makes full use of his sheer observation skills to help himself. A lot of lead characters in shounen series simply wing it and he ends up winning in the end out of some deus ex machina. Midoriya doesn't; he works for it.

It's a strong 7/10 for me. I'm glad to hear that there's a second season for it. I am genuinely looking forward to it.

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • samui26's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2016, 01:12:21 AM »
13: Deku is the star of this show. Thank God for an aberrant shounen lead.

6/10 though. The midparts are so dull for me I even graded this a 5 in those moments. The rest are spine chilling and earnest Deku scenes... and they're good.
I am not sure if good animes are getting fewer these days or my taste has gone numb because most of what I watch recently look the same.

Oh, another shameless plug. Here's my blog: http://samui26.wordpress.com

Offline Gadget

« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2017, 07:36:51 AM »
S2, episode 1

Not sure to start a new thread.

Nothing happen. Just recap with some bad subbing spelling. (Dexus Smash?) Hope the producers make Deku grow up a bit more.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2017, 05:46:25 AM »
S2 1:

YES YES YES! The first episode is hitting all the right notes.

I love seeing the opening in medias res scene reminiscent of TTGL. It gives me a preview of what's to come, and more importantly, CLOSURE. Many shounen shows commit the mistake of not having closure, but that's bad because there's no goal. I need to see where the show eventually ends; that's the beauty of any show. Oh, and don't get me started on which shounen show needed real closure.

Ochaco's scene is also unexpectedly great. Superheroes wanting to become superheroes because it's the "right" thing to do is simply trite and therefore lacking substance. Then Ochaco comes and simply reveals that she's doing it for her dad's company. That revelation smacks of reality that, albeit cute, is also poignant. It makes you think, what makes a superhero, anyway. Is she one simply because she wants to make her dad's life easier?

A minor to some audience, but I notice that the story didn't portray Shiragaki as this textbook psychopathic villain who is simply evil. The keyword is "man-child", and it caught me by surprise actually. The rhetoric that he is simply a Hero who lost his way because of lack of guidance is uncharacteristically deep for a shounen show... in an positively amazing way, I'll say.

Sorry but I am gushing a little too much about the first episode. I loved the first season although it's not particularly amazing, and have been looking forward for the second for a long time. This is going to be fun.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2017, 04:05:45 AM »
Competitive spirit or just arrogance? Or they are just trying to push themselves. Maybe they need a bit of Danger Room training so that they can learn to work together.

But it's no X-Men, Avenger, Justice League or even Teen Titans. This is a Japanese School. The only highlight, weather it's a love story, or magical school, is the sports day or cultural event. So this is the 'hero' version.

Was my eyes playing tricks or did Deku is a bit taller?

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2017, 04:10:20 AM »
S2-E2:

Oh... it's the tournament arc.

We... we just can't ever avoid one of those in a shounen can we?
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2017, 09:04:30 PM »
2:

Good ol' fun. And Bakugo isn't deliberately riling people up just because. He just doesn't give a shit about 'should-haves' and whatnot; it's just about who wins in the end, pure and simple.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10  All   Go Up