Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 17, 2017, 08:44:04 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10  All   Go Down

Author Topic: My Hero Academia  (Read 14029 times)

Offline Delphinox

• The Only Hero That Ever Dies

Re: My Hero Academia
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2016, 09:59:13 PM »
10: So, let me get this straight. Firstly, Mineta's only power is throwing things off his head and making them stick to hard surfaces, right? He didn't think about many creative uses for his power up to this point, and doesn't tend to have an easy time in combat. Secondly, he's cowardice incarnate; he's definitely not the kind to go around saving other people, and he's not going to go up against villains without really thinking about his options first - which he's shown is not one of his strong points. There are two ways to get into this school: via exam or recommendation. The exam measured two credentials: ability to defeat villains, and courage to rescue others when they needed it most. He's not particularly combat savvy, and, as I said before, he can't really afford to save other people with his measly power and tendency towards cowardice.

How the heck did he get into this school? Was he recommended? Is he rich? The other recommended students definitely have a large amount of skill and knowledge behind them to begin with, so I honestly doubt he was recommended, and the academy doesn't seem to be the type that lets students in on account of how much money they have. I'm just having a hard time picturing the dude making it into this school via any method, whatsoever.

His Quirk's most likely very good for immobilizing objects if you can get the balls to wedge between two surfaces. He might not be that practical in a fight from what we've seen of him so far, but I could see his Quirk being enough of an annoyance for stuff like pinning down robots during the exam.

Though now that you bring up his uselessness in a fight, I'm more concerned about how he beat Deku during the fitness tests. Either Mineta's stronger than he lets on or Deku made a pretty awful trade-off if using One For All at that time was going to cripple him that much.

Online Gadget

« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2016, 06:21:07 AM »

Though now that you bring up his uselessness in a fight, I'm more concerned about how he beat Deku during the fitness tests. Either Mineta's stronger than he lets on or Deku made a pretty awful trade-off if using One For All at that time was going to cripple him that much.

Mineta ace the side step portion of the test. He was using his powers to bounce side ways. I think it was there was two purple thing on the side of the test area. And he was bouncing side ways.

Offline Stark700

« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2016, 05:55:51 AM »
Episode 11:

Eraser Head is quickly becoming one of my favorite heroes. A strange guy but he has a heart of gold.

Yeah, some of those other villains are on another level. Also, All Might looks pissed at the end there. I expect some incoming ass kicking soon which should be sweet.

Online Gadget

« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2016, 11:58:10 AM »

All Might is like Ultraman. He has a time limit. He have to to go for a quick strike battle. Any prolong battle will be disadvantage.

Midoriya's did not became rubber. He can control a bit of the power. I think the name of the All Might killer villain is call Game Over. Not that they are retreating. I watch the 'SMASHes' again. I think some of them like Delaware Smash are similer to Hulk's thunderclap.

Offline Kiniest

• Kiniest's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Kiniest1 using Skype

« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2016, 01:46:03 PM »
11: I know things have just finally gotten tense and this is supposed to be the first real "villain" confrontation, but I'm not feeling the scale of the attack at all. They should have started smaller, I feel like. I'm mostly just waiting for this "arc" to end.
harvey beaks is the best anime

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2016, 05:20:34 PM »
But they needed a lot of mooks so the audience can see the students do stuff.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Online AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2016, 05:03:37 AM »
11:

That was deliciously intense. Now for the main event.

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2016, 12:51:49 PM »
Id have finished off those 3 while All Might did his obligatory "cool guy saunter" post door break. Just laugh and bask in his own trope-riddled self-righteousness. Could've been glorious.

Offline Sidenote

• Troll

« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2016, 10:42:54 PM »
I leave for a bit and AC transformed in to the Forum Bear. Wow/lol.
Hunter X Hunter really isn't that good, guys....

Online Gadget

« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2016, 03:05:14 AM »
Finally, some trash talk and over the top violence. Worthy of World War Hulk. It seems all the action is distill into this episode.

BTY, Bakugō is the anti-hero with temper issues. Kinda remind me of Wolverine.

Offline Stark700

« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2016, 10:12:36 AM »
12:

Great episode, I agree about Bakugo being more of an antihero since he also has a bit of a superiority complex.
All Might is awesome as expected, what a fight that was! I'm also really impressed by the villains' portrayal from these latest episodes, they make me legitimately fear them this week.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2016, 08:24:42 PM »
12:

Well, okay, so it looks like the typical "hero's journey" where the mentor figure has to die for the hero to take the center stage and grow isn't happening this episode.

Don't get me wrong, All Might is all kinds of fun to watch, just because it is ridiculous, but is it better to have him waste away slowly than go out with a bang?  Maybe they don't want to go that heavy, but there have been times here early where I feel like the writer WANTS to go heavy.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Delphinox

• The Only Hero That Ever Dies

« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2016, 09:26:35 PM »
12:

Well, I guess watching this after Game 7 was a mistake. Now I need a tranquilizer and a few ice buckets.

Any other less starry-eyed show and I'd probably be a little harsher on its decision to have All Might brute force his way through Nomu in his condition, but MHA has been carried so hard by its more primal appeals like hero idolization and enthusiasm that it's easier to not get hung up by it here. I can't help but think of the series as the 2014 Forest Hills Drive of superhero/battle shounen because of that (for better or for worse), but the flip side is that the show's really easy to enjoy week in and week out for the thinly veiled fan-fueled homage that it is. It's a shame that it's stopping next episode just as it seems to be picking up more momentum, but what we've seen so far has done its piece quite well as an extended introduction to the series. It certainly wouldn't come as a surprise if more of this is coming sooner than later.

Online Gadget

« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2016, 02:34:48 AM »
12:

Well, okay, so it looks like the typical "hero's journey" here the mentor figure has to die for the hero to take the center stage and grow isn't happening this episode.

It's not Star Wars. When Obi-Wan and Han Solo died, the MCs are ready. Midoriya is still wimpy. Give him time to learn to control the One For All.

Online AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2016, 05:27:44 AM »
12:

Honestly, I really enjoyed this episode and the series as a whole. It's as shounen as it gets and nothing that happens in the show really surprises me. Even so, like I said right at the start of the series, it has a lot of heart and is doing a damn good job at what it is: a shounen series.

In a way, it's better than One Punch Man, a series that is aesthetically amazing but is more bland story-wise since we all know what happens eventually for every fight. Because of that, I view every fight in that show with cynicism: why would I want to root for Saitama when I know he can't lose?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10  All   Go Up