Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 18, 2017, 06:54:22 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10  All   Go Down

Author Topic: My Hero Academia  (Read 14081 times)

Offline Equilibrium

• Background character

Re: My Hero Academia
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2016, 09:15:04 AM »

Damn that floppy hand Midoriya my boy. Kinda gave me shivers.

It's heartfelt and all but Mido is just starting get on my nerves with his antics. How many times he needs to cry until it's over. I know his wimpy and insecure but it's just starting to be a bit too much.

One punch man moment was good and the floppy limbs.... oh GOD those floppy limbs. More overcoming obstacles and less Midoriya can't do s**t tears until in the end he does it.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2016, 01:36:36 PM »
How many times he needs to cry until it's over. I know his wimpy and insecure but it's just starting to be a bit too much.

That could be his real quirks.

Offline Sidenote

• Troll

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2016, 10:32:54 PM »
4:

Those legs and arm were so cringe worthy. Even Araragi after taking a beating never looked so pathetic.
Hunter X Hunter really isn't that good, guys....

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • samui26's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2016, 03:59:24 AM »
4: My Feelsy Academia has it again. Darn, Deku... I honestly felt goosebumps because I really want to root for you to succeed. And yes, there's nothing much to talk about in this show except that it is able to present raw and sincere emotions. As long as original shows are concerned, I rank it next to Kiznaiver.
I am not sure if good animes are getting fewer these days or my taste has gone numb because most of what I watch recently look the same.

Oh, another shameless plug. Here's my blog: http://samui26.wordpress.com

Offline Stark700

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2016, 03:34:39 AM »
5:

Good episode, they adapted the characters' personalities and powers well during the test course. I thought it was funny too with the way Shouta entered the story.
Bakugo's quirk is of course my favorite from the ones shown so far.

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2016, 04:42:51 PM »
5:

It was brief, but I did get to see frog-girl animated.

And with this pacing, at only 13 episodes, this adaptation will service my delusions that frog-girl is main girl.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2016, 07:21:13 PM »
5:

Aizawa is your anti-hero... interesting. While All Might is your Superman, Aizawa is your Batman. It's only natural that they don't get along.

I'm also trying to see beyond Kaminari's rivalry towards Midoriya: why does he have so much sense of rivalry towards him (in an unrequited way too)? Rather than pure hatred, it's just pure annoyance for him just to see Midoriya but why? Usually, in this kind of one-sided rivalry, it's because he recognises that Midoriya's existence runs against what Kaminari's all about: one's a crybaby who didn't have a Quirk, while he's a hot-headed Quirk-ful individual. Yet, they've always been on the same setting: same classroom and now same academy. Under that whole rivalry, there's a strong sense of admiration, resulting in a cognitive dissonance for him.

Offline Stark700

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2016, 02:40:17 AM »
Episode 6:

Damn, that was awesome, really liked the way they showed the hero outfits. Yes, Deku's costume seems to be inspired somewhat by All Might but still looks fitting for him to wear. It's also nice that Deku accepts the name that Bakugo calls him too seeing that it can be interpreted differently.

Really liked the action of the episode. The OST worked very well during the brief Deku vs. Bakugo scenes. I think this is just a small preview of what's to come next time too, can't wait!

Offline Delphinox

• The Only Hero That Ever Dies

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2016, 03:58:59 PM »
6:

As MHA chugs along, I'm increasingly appreciating how the series lives vicariously through Deku, though that doesn't come without its own reservations - just as Deku himself is a huge admirer of the heroes in his series, the show itself is a huge fan of the superhero comics and battle shounen series it seems to draw a ton of inspiration from. The series so far isn't just functioning as Deku's "started from the bottom a Quirkless, now we're here" journey, but also as a homage of sorts to the superhero genre and what about it appeals to its target audience. It's nailed its own mixture of enthusiasm, admiration, and humility and stuck with that through all of the ups and downs of the series, even if it's ducked out of a few less desirable consequences in key places.

Sooner or later Hero Academia will have to learn not to be carried on goodwill alone, and hopefully if/when that happens the series will be refining just what about the concept of the superhero is exactly special to it - I'd love for the show to be a great superhero show in its own right when it hits its stride and not just act the part. But for now, I'm holding over perfectly well with it acting the part while it presumably picks up momentum down the line.

On smaller episode notes, Deku's costume being a partial emulation of All Might's style choices is pretty much the least surprising thing ever, and Ochaco is the goddamned best.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2016, 06:46:35 AM »
6:

I dunno; Deku's costume looks more like a punk rabbit.

But it's fun to watch the intense rivalry between Deku and Bakugo. Deku's whininess does get to me, but it's a small price to pay compared to his earnestness to become a Hero. Gotta give it to the guy for standing up for himself.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2016, 09:28:07 AM »
6:

Total score is determined by adding the scores of the individual events
Gravity scores an "infinity" in one event
10th place overall.
makes sense.

Offline Delphinox

• The Only Hero That Ever Dies

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2016, 10:48:19 AM »
It's probably safe to assume that he was scoring by placement in the events and not the raw performance. That way, first place doesn't discriminate based on how much you won by, and a lot of the events didn't have comparable bases of measurement.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2016, 11:21:09 AM »
It's probably safe to assume that he was scoring by placement in the events and not the raw performance. That way, first place doesn't discriminate based on how much you won by, and a lot of the events didn't have comparable bases of measurement.

was but a joke.

And how the **** did the girl that got first get first?  I know her power and I would LOVE to learn how it was in anyway serviceable for these events.

Offline Sidenote

• Troll

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2016, 04:51:46 PM »
5-6:

So slow (in a good way). They're not glossing over anything here. As far as faithful adaptations go, this one is one of the best.
Hunter X Hunter really isn't that good, guys....

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • samui26's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2016, 11:11:30 PM »
6:

Me: (Cue some Rin Tohsaka screaming "so slow" at a poor Shirou Emiya.)

Darn it, I get it. The show is good but why is this paced this slow? Are they gonna run out of material to adapt? Lastly, what else is Kacchan aside from that dude who is so angry at our lovable (and moe) Deku?
I am not sure if good animes are getting fewer these days or my taste has gone numb because most of what I watch recently look the same.

Oh, another shameless plug. Here's my blog: http://samui26.wordpress.com
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10  All   Go Up