Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 13, 2017, 08:14:13 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10  All   Go Down

Author Topic: My Hero Academia  (Read 15053 times)

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: My Hero Academia
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2016, 10:36:53 AM »
2:

A step up for sure. Showing what happened to All Might really kept things grounded.

We're still waiting to see whether he just gets a quirk and everything becomes easy mode.
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2016, 11:01:15 AM »
Although the pacing is good, and All Might is an honest and likable hero, Deku is too typical of a Japanese shonan hero. Like will power is mightier than a laser blast. I wonder will anyone will start having their own version of quotes, like Ben Parker's power and responsibility.

Offline Sidenote

• Troll

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2016, 01:18:39 PM »
Deku is too typical of a Japanese shonan hero. Like will power is mightier than a laser blast.

My HERO Academia.The whole point of this show is shonen. The draw is how unabashed it is about its tropes.
Hunter X Hunter really isn't that good, guys....

Offline Kiniest

• Kiniest's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Kiniest1 using Skype

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2016, 01:50:48 PM »
It seems more like the draw is in the logical story and character beats that cause the tropes. Usually, a trope is just there for the sake of being there; to fill in the story beats that would otherwise require effort and time to figure out. Not the case in this show, as it's being made abundantly clear that even if the story itself is unrealistic, the structure is not full of bullshit - the author still uses the basic constructs of writing to make us like what we'd otherwise consider trite.

Second episode was better, by the way. I'm starting to enjoy myself - unlike Ace Attorney, I don't feel like I need to hold the show's hand to keep it with me.
harvey beaks is the best anime

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2016, 06:20:08 AM »
2:

It's clear-cut shounen and is not afraid to whip out all the tropes. Well, I can't fault the show since it definitely knows what it wants to be.

I'm a bit unsure if I want to stick around. I'll have a look at the next episode and see for myself.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2016, 07:17:17 AM »
1-2:
Pretty good idea to watch these episodes back to back. Definitely provided a great experience.

Next week, the training episode.

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • samui26's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2016, 10:37:17 PM »
2: This episode is great for sure, I am afraid on how the training arc will unfold because it slows down most shonen shows.
I am not sure if good animes are getting fewer these days or my taste has gone numb because most of what I watch recently look the same.

Oh, another shameless plug. Here's my blog: http://samui26.wordpress.com

Offline Stark700

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2016, 02:51:30 AM »
3:

Good episode, got everything I had expected especially the training montage with great usage of the OST and Deku/All Might chemistry.

Seems like pacing will pick up a bit here with more characters introduced and an exam session next week. Should be fun. Deku's face was so priceless this episode as well in particular that part when All Might offered a part of his "DNA"

Offline Equilibrium

• Background character

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2016, 08:51:29 AM »

It's a feel good show. Can't stop having these "you go boy i'm rooting for you" kind thoughts in my head. Classic and predictable structure done in a way that the cliche is a good kind of cliche. :3

Offline Gadget

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2016, 09:42:54 AM »
Deku is getting too emo for me. Stop crying and man up!

Offline Delphinox

• The Only Hero That Ever Dies

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2016, 07:16:16 PM »
3:

Well, the playing field had to be leveled somehow in order for Izuku to cut it as a hero, so the hosing down of the premise was only a matter of time. But again, I'm able to enjoy the series for what it is because of how earnest it is about it all. All Might making Izuku work his ass off in order to make himself suitable to inherit One for All, Izuku actually going above and beyond to make it possible, All Might giving that little spiel about being blessed versus being chosen...the show covered its bases as well as it could have in justifying letting Izuku have access to a Quirk of sorts. If the series wants to continue to insist that nothing in this show isn't earned by its characters, I'm sure as hell not about to argue.

God bless Bones and the staff for that "oh my goodness" scene, though. I think I displaced something laughing as hard as I did in that moment.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2016, 05:58:16 AM »
3:

I... think I'll stick around. But it's the show that I can't comment each week because, well, there's nothing much to discuss.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2016, 05:56:15 PM »
3:

Sigh. Not down for another shounen fighter, I had my fill back in the day.

Dropped.
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • samui26's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2016, 07:54:37 AM »
3:

Thank God that training arc was sped up because it was really boring to be precise. Not a feelsy episode this week but still good, I mean, the kind of good where you don't regret wasting 20 minutes of your life with the show.

I wish for a faster pacing though.
I am not sure if good animes are getting fewer these days or my taste has gone numb because most of what I watch recently look the same.

Oh, another shameless plug. Here's my blog: http://samui26.wordpress.com

Offline Stark700

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2016, 02:30:27 AM »
4:

Nice episode. Wasn't impressed at first by Deku's performance but he managed to earn my respect with his courage later during the exams.

Grats to him on passing as well. I really like how much effort the studio (Bones) is pouring their budget into the animation for the episode too.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10  All   Go Up