Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 18, 2017, 05:54:36 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10  All   Go Down

Author Topic: My Hero Academia  (Read 15357 times)

Offline Stark700

My Hero Academia
« on: April 03, 2016, 02:14:25 AM »
1:

Just saw and well, that was interesting. The music was good and OP song was nice too as expected by the talent that worked on Haikyu

Action is fairly well done and I think Deku's voice may take awhile to get used to. Pacing worries me slightly but I have hope that they will adapt it well. Good start so far though, definitely looking for more. Thoughts?

Offline Delphinox

• The Only Hero That Ever Dies

Re: My Hero Academia
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 03:42:08 AM »
1:

Note to self: this is not the kind of show one should watch at 5am when the rational thing to do would be to go to bed. Save it for trying to get up in the morning when dawn breaks.

That was a lot of fun. The first episode had a pretty standard "follow your dreams even as an underdog" mentality going with Izuku, but wore its heart on its sleeve so well that I really got the impression the series was committed to it, which if nothing else was the one thing the series has to absolutely nail if it wants to follow that route. Obviously the series still has plenty of time to break its commitment, but for now, Izuku comes across as very earnest and unpretentious - someone who dreams big, but isn't totally impervious to the reality of his situation. Hell, the series even went overboard with Bakugo's depiction as the self-absorbed bully as if to really hammer the "acting entitled is BAD" point home - if I were more awake when he was on screen, I probably would have been a lot more tempted to punch out the TV.

Inevitably, the elephant in the room is how Izuku can possibly make up for not having a Quirk. Some of my favorite shows in anime are very legitimate underdog stories in this vein, but unlike those series, I don't think Izuku's disadvantage is one that can be compensated for solely through hard work and guts, even though I really want for that to be the case somehow. In that line of thinking, I'm preemptively hosing myself down for the possibility that he's just a very late bloomer and that he never was really at a true disadvantage, but there's nothing that first episode did that didn't at least earn it the benefit of the doubt for now.

Offline Kiniest

• Kiniest's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Kiniest1 using Skype

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 08:56:46 AM »
1: Reminds me of Disney's Sky High. Nothing particularly special, but it can stay for a couple weeks if it wants.

I will note that the antagonist reminds me of that one character from Adventure Time who kept following Finn and Jake around mocking any and all of their struggles, talking about how fantastic he was, just to hear "Why are you following a 13 year old boy around all day, dude? Get a life," and fall flat on his face. Seriously, why does it bother him so much that a "quirkless" classmate is trying in spite of his weakness? It's not like Izuku's really in his way or anything. Well, as most of these shows do, I suppose the world just really revolves around the protagonist.

1:

Just saw and well, that was interesting. The music was good and OP song was nice too as expected by the talent that worked on Haikyu.

Oh, hey dude, see you around all the time on other anime websites. Welcome aboard.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 09:02:22 AM by Kiniest »
harvey beaks is the best anime

Offline Stark700

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 09:28:45 AM »

Oh, hey dude, see you around all the time on other anime websites. Welcome aboard.

Hey :)

Offline Gadget

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 11:42:41 AM »
Poking fun at American comic heroes. All Might looks like Captain America on steroids. What's with the 'Texas Smash'? I've read there's going to be 'Detroit Smash', 'Missouri Smash', 'Carolina Smash', and 'New Hampshire Smash'. Sounds like the current Primaries in US now. And the red, white blue with the star spangle banner in the background. It's all spell You Ass Aye (USA).

I know that it will be compared to Sky High. But I think it's more Tiger and Bunny. Lot's of powers. But some are almost useless.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 12:42:45 PM »
1:

If he gets some super amazing quirk that didn't show itself till now, I'm dropping this.
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 01:18:01 PM »
"Genetic deteriminsm" Didnt Rakdai do this opening narration already? Well the MC had better be openly bangain' a hot red-head by ep 7.

Yeah Sky High was a pretty cute narrative.

Ahegao? Tentacles

Bored. Dont care.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 09:30:00 PM »
Yeah, this is totally a product of Shounen Jump.  I'll probably ignore this show until it hits its stride which is when I'll marathon it.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline ckarasu

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 05:18:45 PM »
1: Reminds me of Disney's Sky High. Nothing particularly special, but it can stay for a couple weeks if it wants.

I will note that the antagonist reminds me of that one character from Adventure Time who kept following Finn and Jake around mocking any and all of their struggles, talking about how fantastic he was, just to hear "Why are you following a 13 year old boy around all day, dude? Get a life," and fall flat on his face. Seriously, why does it bother him so much that a "quirkless" classmate is trying in spite of his weakness? It's not like Izuku's really in his way or anything. Well, as most of these shows do, I suppose the world just really revolves around the protagonist.

1:

Just saw and well, that was interesting. The music was good and OP song was nice too as expected by the talent that worked on Haikyu.

He's not the antagonist. He's still framed as a "friend", even in the manga.

Offline CNile

• Reviewer
  • I'm a very gifted post-cognitive.
    • CNile's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with CNile_ using Skype

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 10:34:26 PM »
1:

Deku looks like he's gonna grow up to be a smooth-talking interplanetary bounty hunter.
"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream!"

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 06:20:46 AM »
1:

Very interesting.

It couldn't be any clearer how shounen this show is; it's as shounen as it get. But I kinda like it. It's blatantly kiddish with the outlandish designs and over-the-top characterisation but it has a lot of heart, which I think is the main appeal of the show. Plus, seeing characters with different powers always interests me. Just worried if it gets old quick.

I'll stick around and see what happens.

Offline AHideyo

• AHideyo's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Steam Community :: Hideyo

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 02:16:02 AM »
1: All Might really looks like Donald Trump on steroids, every time I see this guy I can't help but make the comparison. If he has a technique called New York smash, the similarities would be uncanny.

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • samui26's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2016, 01:14:16 AM »
1: I really love this episode given how grounded it is and Deku was given a chance to develop his character. Nothing new? yes but I enjoyed the heck out of  it even if it was a tad slow (and I am not even a manga reader of My Hero Academia).
I am not sure if good animes are getting fewer these days or my taste has gone numb because most of what I watch recently look the same.

Oh, another shameless plug. Here's my blog: http://samui26.wordpress.com

Offline Stark700

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2016, 02:33:59 AM »
2:

Good episode, this one revealed All Might's true form. I was shocked when I saw it the first time as when seeing it from the manga awhile ago. Either way, the episode proved that Deku can become a hero. Exciting stuff. The OST still remains pretty good for the show as expected, pacing is fine too.

Proud of what Deku did. I also really liked the contrasting character voice mannerism between All Might's true form and base form.

Offline Delphinox

• The Only Hero That Ever Dies

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 10:06:12 AM »
2:

That was about an entire series' worth of ups and downs already, and we're only in the second episode of the series. Good gracious.

I wish the series had gone for a full-out "never meet your heroes" moment, but I do appreciate that All Might was pretty upfront about the reality of Izuku's prospects of being a hero. Sure, there's going to be a convenient way he'll get to a level where he can function as if he had a Quirk, but I'm not about to doubt the series' willingness to make Izuku have to earn it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10  All   Go Up