Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 19, 2017, 11:16:57 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII Advent Children: Impressions?  (Read 4073 times)

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator
    • http://www.nihonreview.com

Final Fantasy VII Advent Children: Impressions?
« on: September 20, 2005, 02:53:17 PM »
Yes, it's out there. Go get it! This is a treat for all Final Fantasy 7 fans! You can find it on many anime torrent sites and IRC. It's licensed (by ADV?) I believe, so please delete it after you finish watching and do not distribute it. Of course, buy the DVD, too.

Here's my take on the movie:

No real spoilers, in my opinion!

I knew that this sequel was not going to work. Final Fantasy 7 ended fine and needed no sequel. Advent Children had just made things worse, in fact, they had managed to **** up some of the details of the story. Like since when was Marlene Aeris's sister? And who the hell is Denzel? The assumption that the audience, fans of the game or no, would know what the hell Square was talking about is a sad mistake. It may have been an attempt to stray away from the actual story and make a statement that Advent Children is not the "official" sequel to the game's story...but let me tell you, it wasn't one bit effective. In fact, it gave the impression that the screenwriters were idiots.

I'm sure a lot of people who watched this and have never played the game left the theatre (or their computer chair) scratching their head. It was a movie for the fans, and yet Square absolutely failed at getting the most basic thing right: the backstory.

Characters: All right, they looked really cool. I have to admit that. Yuffie, Tifa, Cloud, Red XIII...almost everyone was exactly as I imagined them, with the voices and everything. It makes me wonder what would have happened if FF7 was re-released on the PS3. Yup: they did not betray the video game...except for Barret and Cid. Cid's personality is there but his face is way off. Barret is an entirely different person, he was suppose to be gigantic! All in all, there was just not enough time spent on the side characters for the audience to get a good feel of them. There's just bits and pieces of their personality that was developed during the game. Again, it'll be an incredible rush of nostalgia for those who admired FF7 (like myself), but others will just be "Who cares?"

Story: It's stupid. I want to consider the movie as a "parallel universe" thing. There's no way that this can be a real sequel to the game. Those of you who were amazed by the story, you've got to take some time and think to yourself: "What did this movie accomplish? What has it added to the game?" The answer is: nothing. Themes like loneliness pops out of NOWHERE in the movie, and that specific theme has been already been taken care of in the game, anyways. The creators were just being redundant with the ending, that's how I see it.

Plot: Don't even get me started. There was a SHITLOAD of plot holes. How did Elena and Tseng appear out of NOWHERE, when they were suppose to be captive, like the story implied? Where did Kadaj's gang come from? (weren't Jenova's cells reabsorped during Meteor's summoning in the game?) ...and of couse, my favorite: WHAT THE HELL IS GEOSTIGMA?!!!

Graphics: The graphics, the choreography...everything visual was TWO THUMBS UP. The fight scenes were spectacular, the characters moved like real people, the backdrops...everything. This is top-notch 3D animation, everyone. If anything, watch this movie for the visuals.

The music is good, some of the pieces have been recreated. There's some humor, like the cellphone joke. Hmm...what else is there to say? Watch the movie. Sure, the story is retarded as hell and it will somewhat tick off the fans, but hey, you get to see awesome fight scenes, cool animation, and of course, Tifa!! Nothing beats Tifa. Too bad she wasn't in her exercise get-up, with the suspenders and mini-skirt, and all. It's good to notice that Square remembered not to change her bra-size. I would have been enraged, honest.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 02:57:28 PM by Tamashii »

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 06:29:49 PM »
Quote from: Tamashii
Like since when was Marlene Aeris's sister? And who the hell is Denzel?

Well, I don't think it actually said "Marlene is Aeris's sister."  Marlene just called her sister.  I felt it was more of a result of the short time Marlene and Aeris spent together to show the bond they formed.  I don't think they are literal sisters, but more sisters in a metaphorical term.  Yeah, I agree about Denzel though.  He was just some random orphan who moved in with Cloud and Tifa with Geostigma.

Yup: they did not betray the video game...except for Barret and Cid. Cid's personality is there but his face is way off. Barret is an entirely different person, he was suppose to be gigantic! All in all, there was just not enough time spent on the side characters for the audience to get a good feel of them. There's just bits and pieces of their personality that was developed during the game. Again, it'll be an incredible rush of nostalgia for those who admired FF7 (like myself), but others will just be "Who cares?"

I didn't think Cid looked old enough.  He was supposed to be the oldest of them (beside Red XIII), but he looked to be in his early twenties.  I think Barret's small change was ok.  He looked more prortioned in the movie than he did in the game.  He looked really fat in the game, whereas he was more muscular in AC.  I did feel though that all the side characters basically played a cameo role.  The only characters who were really needed in the sequel were Tifa and Vincent.

Plot: Don't even get me started. There was a SHITLOAD of plot holes. How did Elena and Tseng appear out of NOWHERE, when they were suppose to be captive, like the story implied? Where did Kadaj's gang come from? (weren't Jenova's cells reabsorped during Meteor's summoning in the game?) ...and of couse, my favorite: WHAT THE HELL IS GEOSTIGMA?!!!

Elena and Tseng were rescued by Vincent.  He mentioned it off hand when talking to Cloud after he rescued him from Kadaj's gang.  I do agree with everything else though.  They really didn't explain everything thoruoghly enough.

I have to say I agree with everything else you've said though.  I was actually quite pleased with this movie though.  I pretty much predicted that it wouldn't be perfect, so I didn't get my hopes too high.  So, I gound the movie to be quite enjoyable.  (And yes, Tama, I got the subbed version)

The Nihon Review Presents 2006: A Year in Review

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 04:36:22 PM »
I think my subtitles suck or something because I don't remember Vincent talking about Elena or Tseng...

I did figure out that Marlene just meant "Onee-" in terms of being a close friend a day later when I rewatched it and thought about it a bit. The thing that gave me that first impression was probably Marlene mentioning, during her narration, that she lost a close one.

I don't think Barret was fat! He was just really big. I played the game recently and have the FMV's fresh in my head. This new Barret was a weakling compared to his video game counterpart.

I heard there was an anime out...jesus. My friend summarized the first episode for me and I was disappointed: I mean, come on, they just HAD TO ruin one of the plot's best twists, which is when we all find out that Cloud was actually confusing his role in Shinra with ****'s role in Shinra (censored out the name so I don't spoil it for people!)...but of course, that's for another thread.

Offline DarkKanti

• Justice For All
  • Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 05:23:48 PM »
Quote from: Tamashii
I think my subtitles suck or something because I don't remember Vincent talking about Elena or Tseng...

He said something along the lines lines of "Elena and Tseng were tortured for information about Jenova's cells by Kadaj's gang.  Luckily, I saved them before before they were killed.

I don't think Barret was fat! He was just really big. I played the game recently and have the FMV's fresh in my head. This new Barret was a weakling compared to his video game counterpart.

Heh, I was kind of just joking about that.  I just felt it looked more proportional in this version.  But, yeah, he was sized down quite a bit.

The Nihon Review Presents 2006: A Year in Review

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 02:29:09 PM »
Yup, I caught the Tseng and Elena line when I watched (for the third time, sigh) in my friend's anime club.

Offline Ritalin

• http://caffeinated-dreams.net

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 07:07:50 AM »
I didn't care so much for the FF7 game, so I expected this to be a movie I can't get into.

Oh man, how wrong I was. I really loved it. I don't see how people call it a sequel, it feels more like an addon adventure that I enjoyed much more than the game. You need to know whats-what of course, and if you never played the games this movie would be mindless action.

It could be because I am utterly sick of plot-driven movies, and just want some great action and music so I enjoyed this more than I should have (since, I don't care for the game). Who cares about plotholes, all I wanted was some kickass action with a simple but effective story, and AC certainly delivered. I drooled over the music, and recently obtained the OST, yay!

Overall, it was a good movie. Not as great as the FF7 fanboys make it out to be, but is certainly worth a watch if you played game, hating it or enjoying it.

As for the subtitle thing, I don't know anything about it. I got the release the day it was ripped and a buddies-buddy made some soft subs for a certain community.

Offline Tamashii

• Always Very Prepared
  • Administrator

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2005, 03:07:24 PM »
It is indeed a sequel, that's what Square claims it is and that's what it really is. The plot takes place two years after ********* died, so yes, chronologically, as the word "sequel" denotes, it is a sequel. The Denzel thing is weird, though...
Pages: [1]   Go Up