Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 17, 2017, 08:50:18 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2015: A Year in Review  (Read 2268 times)

Offline Kylaran

• A Priori Impossibility
  • Administrator

2015: A Year in Review
« on: January 04, 2016, 04:51:28 AM »
Half way through the new decade already? Time sure flies.

Our yearly tradition of taking a look at the previous year's best anime is now online. Please come check out what we had to say about 2015 anime, and feel free to post here about your thoughts and comments.

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • samui26's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @samuiyoru07

Re: 2015: A Year in Review
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 07:35:16 AM »
The first season of Garo is really underrated, I think.
I am not sure if good animes are getting fewer these days or my taste has gone numb because most of what I watch recently look the same.

Oh, another shameless plug. Here's my blog: http://samui26.wordpress.com

Offline Aelms

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 06:05:50 AM »
This year I ended up going through my backlog more than following the newer shows. As such, I'm a bit disappointed that my favourite show (Shirobako) didn't get the coverage it deserved because of a technicality issue.

Anime in 2015 was satisfying enough for me because the low budget, shitty looking shows of the 00's seem to have fully phased out by now. There are shows that are at least somewhat entertaining across all the genres and fewer shows that utterly fail in fulfilling their potential Guilty Crown-style. It's good enough if even just one or two real gems (Shirobako and Girls und Panzer der Film for me) come out in a year.

Derailing from the article a bit, I feel that 2015 for NHRV was one of the dullest years with very few memorable conversations in any of the anime threads. I don't know if it's because most of the members whose posts I enjoyed reading aren't as active anymore or if the new shows are just that boring, but its a little disheartening that I lost the habit of sharing ideas or even just lurking here after watching a new episode.

Either way, all my hopes go to 2016 bringing in some life.

Offline SQA

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 06:41:16 AM »
The baseline level of anime has risen, meaning that things can be terrible but rarely laughably so these days.  There were no true trainwrecks this year, nor much that pushed the envelope.   It was a year with a few decent series, but a massive quantity of utterly forgettable ones.   It was also a year heavy on sequels, which meant what we discussed pretty still held sway.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 02:29:27 PM »
Derailing from the article a bit, I feel that 2015 for NHRV was one of the dullest years with very few memorable conversations in any of the anime threads. I don't know if it's because most of the members whose posts I enjoyed reading aren't as active anymore or if the new shows are just that boring, but its a little disheartening that I lost the habit of sharing ideas or even just lurking here after watching a new episode.

Either way, all my hopes go to 2016 bringing in some life.

It's not your imagination. Many of the staff members have been busy and creating less content, which in turn does not help the conversations on the board. Add in the fact that 2015 just isn't that great of a year from our point of view, and we got this. Although, I have seen similar sentiments on other anime hubs I visit, so maybe it's the nature of the year we were in as well.

Also, Shirobako was featured in our last year's article so we can't cover it twice. Same reason we didn't cover UBW or Parasyte.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 04:00:48 PM »
On that topic, I just have to give props to Huuskerdu for her great work in the mystery department. We need more of that kind of post. It's 2016 baby, let's do this!
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline AHideyo

• AHideyo's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Steam Community :: Hideyo

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 03:17:52 AM »
I always thought Huuskerdu is a guy.

Offline Delphinox

• The Only Hero That Ever Dies

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 09:26:55 PM »
Also, Shirobako was featured in our last year's article so we can't cover it twice. Same reason we didn't cover UBW or Parasyte.

Did you guys write something about UBW for 2014? I could just be blind as Andrea Bocelli right now, but I've scoured both the 2014 and 2015 YIRs for it and there's no mention of it anywhere. I was curious when you and Shadowmage had it as your AOTYs for 2015 despite in not being on the list, but now I'm just flat-out confused.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 09:58:04 PM »
I can't show you the whole discussion thread because it is behind mod-firewalls, but here is the nomination list I came up with for this year:

Throwing out nominations to discuss, I'm not picking anything in particular (bold are already nominated by someone else):

Winter 2015 - Death Parade, Fafner Exodus, Maria the Virgin Witch, SaeKano, Tokyo Ghoul sqrt(A), Yatterman Night, Yuri Kuma Arashi

Spring 2015 - Blood Blockade Battlefront, FS/N:UBW, Arslan, Hibike Euphonium, My Love Story, Yahari Too, Plastic Memories, Punchline, Nagato Yuki-chan

Summer 2015 - Charlotte, Classroom Crisis, Gatchaman Crowds Insight, Gate, Jitsu Wa..., Non Non Biyori Repeat, Overlord, Prison School, Rokka no Yuusha, School Live!, Akagami no Shirayuki, Ushio & Tora, Working!!!

Fall 2015 (unless they crater hard) - Beautiful Bones, Concrete Revolutio, Haikyuu 2, MSG: IBO, Noragami Aragoto, One Punch Man, Osomatsu-san, Owarimonogatari, Subete ga F Ni Naru, Utawarerumono 2

It happens every year, but something falls through the cracks for whatever reason or other.  In this case, some of it was miscommunication, but a big part of it was that each writer gets to choose what shows they want to do their blurbs on.  Even without an oopsie, if none of the writers wanted to write about UBW, instead opting for another show that was just as good but perhaps not as recognized, that is their prerogative.  This policy has always been the driving force of our YIR articles, and it does lead to some mistakes where critically praised or popular shows are not reviewed.  Your Lie in April was 2014's casualty, so we made up for it this year.  Looks like Unlimited Blade Works was this year's casualty.  Unfortunately, unlike YLIR, we can't make up for it next year.

Still, do we need to write a blurb about it?  You guys know what Fate Stay Night is, and if you followed the active thread on the weekly episode viewings you'd know we all pretty well liked it.  Even I, in my cynicism, gave it a 9 (though I'll admit I forgot I rated it so highly).  So while we didn't quite get this one right by not including it as part of our blurbs, I think we can be forgiven the disinclusion.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Delphinox

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 10:48:12 PM »
Still, do we need to write a blurb about it?  You guys know what Fate Stay Night is, and if you followed the active thread on the weekly episode viewings you'd know we all pretty well liked it.  Even I, in my cynicism, gave it a 9 (though I'll admit I forgot I rated it so highly).  So while we didn't quite get this one right by not including it as part of our blurbs, I think we can be forgiven the disinclusion.

It wasn't it being left off the 2015 that bothered me - omissions are just the nature of the whole business. I was just confused when Reckoner mentioned that UBW being featured on 2014's YIR article was why it wasn't on 2015's list. Heck, when UBW was absent from the 2015 list I just assumed it was mentioned in 2014 until I thought to go back and look over the 2014 YIR. Took me reading through the article a few times over and a bunch of Ctrl-Fs to make sure I didn't just skip over it somehow.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 11:12:10 PM »
Yep.  Pure oversight / **** up on our part.  I'm trying not to throw anybody under a bus here, but the miscommunication was all Kanye West's fault.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 11:38:56 PM »
Oh god. LOL. Believe me if I realized, that wouldn't of happened. I made a poor assumption IT WOULD SEEM. Perhaps since we didn't hit our target number of 14 shows we'll sneak in a ninja edit since it would be a bit odd otherwise. Otherwise, oops guys  :-\.

Offline Delphinox

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 01:27:15 AM »
I'm trying not to throw anybody under a bus here, but the miscommunication was all Kanye West's fault.

Fair enough. Kanye in 2015 has already:

- NOT dropped his seventh album, missing an opportunity to make a monster year in hip-hop even better
- Claimed he was going to run for President in 2020
- Reminded us all that the Grammys still exist

And now this. Jeez, the man had better get it together this upcoming year.

Oh god. LOL. Believe me if I realized, that wouldn't of happened. I made a poor assumption IT WOULD SEEM. Perhaps since we didn't hit our target number of 14 shows we'll sneak in a ninja edit since it would be a bit odd otherwise. Otherwise, oops guys  :-\.

Two birds with one stone? Sounds like a plan. Though it's probably more of an indictment on 2015 than an oversight if the staff couldn't accumulate 14 shows for the list, haha.
Pages: [1]   Go Up