Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 23, 2017, 12:49:14 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kimi ga Nozomu Eien  (Read 661 times)

Offline RustySpider

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien
« on: August 13, 2016, 01:20:48 PM »
I think the 5/10 score this site gave is way too harsh.

Yes, the show has it's problems, but overall it presents a believable set of characters who's emotions you can really feel. Taking the site's standards into account, I find it particularly puzzling how something like School Days can be rated higher, considering it's worse in every conceivable way, despite having a similar premise.

I also find it weird how the second season OVAs are rated higher. Those were terrible.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Re: Kimi ga Nozomu Eien
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 10:42:15 PM »
Moved to appropriate section of the website.

As far as your complaint, keep in mind that the two series were reviewed by different people who will have their own tastes on the various aspects of the shows.  Shadowmage and AC laid out their claims for each series well enough within the writing that I don't know what there is to be vexed by.  If you just read the grades and responded thusly, then you're doing a huge disservice to them.  Read what they wrote, not what the number grade means, and maybe you'll understand them a little better.

On the other hand, doing an apples to oranges argument is retarded.  Nobody compared Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien to School Days in rendering grades on either.  Each was done with its own merits in mind.  Also, School Days was reviewed by three different authors each with their own perspective on the subject.  One even gave it a lower grade than Kimi Ga.  Again, read the reviews to find out why.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Kylaran

• A Priori Impossibility
  • Administrator

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 04:20:43 AM »
I think the 5/10 score this site gave is way too harsh.

Yes, the show has it's problems, but overall it presents a believable set of characters who's emotions you can really feel. Taking the site's standards into account, I find it particularly puzzling how something like School Days can be rated higher, considering it's worse in every conceivable way, despite having a similar premise.

I also find it weird how the second season OVAs are rated higher. Those were terrible.

I completely agree with you that Shadowmage has poor taste in drama anime...

But in all seriousness, I think you've raised a good point about what we find the most difficult (and most rewarding) about running a team blog/team review website. Some of us are huge fans of certain genres, but also respond to certain formulations of the story differently. Shadowmage found the anime to be incredibly one-dimensional and couldn't connect with the characters at all. Maybe he had to slog through it, and really it never compared to more than average among all the anime he's watched.

We respect each individual author's view of the show, hence why we allow multiple reviews as well. Sometimes there's a lot to say that another author didn't cover, and we can often flat out disagree with each other among staff.

Our 1-10 scale is something that tries to objectify all of our writers' evaluations so it's somewhat more cohesive to look across all shows, but in the end the details of what counts as "a point off" is very different among writers. So by comparing across reviews by different writers, you'll probably find it difficult to make meaningful comparisons as TIF has mentioned. You could look at Shadowmage's other reviews and call him out on his taste in anime in general though.

On the other hand, doing an apples to oranges argument is retarded.

Does that logic hold if I like apple-orange hybrid fruits?

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 06:18:06 AM »
KimiNozo is just way too angsty and melodramatic for its own good. There's a thin line that separates emotional from melodramatic, and the show crossed the line. The OVAs is a lot more tolerable to watch, although it's not that amazing of a drama either.

I find it particularly puzzling how something like School Days can be rated higher

Yeah, I was puzzled by Akira too. That's why I had to offer a second opinion... to balance out the karma in the universe.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 06:22:32 AM »
Just a bit of advice, but just making the point that it's too harsh and comparing the review score to an unrelated anime doesn't hold a lot of weight.

If you want to make a point, how about you define why you disagree with the review rather than just looking at the score. Scores are pretty worthless without the context backing them.

I mean even if we look at "Characters are believable and the emotions you can really feel" doesn't really say much. A realistic character does not automatically a good or interesting character, just as an over the top character does not equal a bad character. Shadowmages complaint seems to be that while their emotions may be believable, there's no reason to care because it tossed you into the drama so quick without first establishing why we should like the characters at all.

School Days hilariously enough does actually take its time to a degree to establish its drama. Had Kimi Nozu followed its approach a bit more, than maybe its drama would have been more effective. School Days is more just hilarious more than anything though, so it can't be compared to Kimi Nozu which actually takes itself very seriously. You would have to compare it to say NANA, True Tears or White Album 2, all of which are scored higher on this site.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 07:30:42 AM by hyperknees91 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up