Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 23, 2017, 10:58:33 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cerebral anime to digest  (Read 2769 times)

Offline Yog

Re: Cerebral anime to digest
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2015, 10:45:10 PM »
I love Mushishi, you hit the bullseye in its description.

It's similar to Kino's Journey in that regard, both series kind of evoke this feeling of sonder in different worlds.

It reminds me of the feeling I got when I moved around as a kid living in a bunch of countries. Where if you let yourself, you can take in all these connections and perspectives, different cultures, to the point where you feel this. Infinite understanding of an metaphysical organism that is humanity, constantly keeping itself in balance in all sorts of ways.

I went off tangent, haha.

Evangelion was a given to watch actually, I get angry when people rail on Shinji for the exact qualities that make him fascinating.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2015, 10:56:40 PM »
Hah. Well I'm long past trying to defend Shinji all these years. People who criticize him were never meant to understand or like Evangelion in the first place. You elaborated on more how I feel about Mushishi, definitely not many things out there like it in all of entertainment.

So yeah, still highly recommend Haibane Renmei.

You could always try the Kara no Kyoukai film series (Garden of Sinners). It may be hard to grasp the Type/Moon Universe if you're a newcomer (Especially since the movies are not chronological in order), but there's a lot to think about it. The atmosphere of it is amazing.

Mononoke is a very unique anime itself with a very unusual style. You probably would enjoy it.

For something quite a bit different, there's Welcome to the NHK.Some grumpy people out there don't like the differences between it and its manga, but I think the anime is plenty great in its own right. It sheds light on the situation regarding hikikomori, among other things.

Offline Yog

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2015, 11:03:18 PM »
It's hilarious that you bring up NHK, a few friends of mine say that it's my life in a lot of ways because of a few year stint of life as a hermit and really bad agoraphobia.

It's also one of the anime that I love the dub for, Chris Patton nails the anxiety ridden feelings of despair that accompanied my own experience.

I've heard nothing but good things about the other 3, in truth I watched the first Kara No Kyoukai film and was scared off. Thought I missed something somewhere, if that feeling was on the mark, then I'll stick with them.

I was thinking of Haibane Renmei for a while because I saw some of it and I was reminded of Lain. Nice to know they have the same artist.

Yoshitoshi Abe, gotta keep that in mind.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2015, 11:12:55 PM »
I think that's part of what can be really disturbing about Welcome to the NHK for some people, including myself. Psychologically it hits a little too close to home sometimes (Not just with the main character).

With regards to Kara no Kyoukai, it might be worth reading up on it for some lore/background because the universe is more than just 1 show (There's also Tsukhiime which doesn't really have an anime, and Fate/Stay Night in the same universe). The first movie doesn't really make much sense until later though. Movie 2 is where you get some solid footing with the characters though.

OKAY. Well for anime in this vein I think I exhausted the ones I truly think are good/great. Maybe give Wolf's Rain a try. I had problems with some of the mid portions of it, but it's definitely a unique experience. Yoko Kanno sound track can't go wrong.

Offline Yog

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2015, 11:18:52 PM »
Wolf's rain has always been on my radar, but I've never really sat down to watch.

Have you given Punpun a try? It's a manga but you seem like you'd love it's characters.

It's fascinating, deliciously dark, and very. Real.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2015, 01:40:08 AM »
I'll never forget Punpun. Not the plot details, but its style and identity, and the raw emotions it communicated were all attacks I was very vulnerable to when I read it. It was like being a kid again during terrible times. Didn't enjoy it, but that's not the point anyway.
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline Yog

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2015, 10:11:06 AM »
I enjoyed it to a great degree, actually.

Maybe I'm a masochist but it was a delight to see such characters delve into dark subjects like Punpun did.

His entire spiral at the end of its run was brilliant, and not to delve into spoilers, the overall conclusion was phenomenal, if a bit lacking in reality.

It's what got me hooked to Asano Inio's works, and ever since then, I've been devouring anything else they make.

Same thing happened with Oshimi Shuzo, the person who made Aku no Hana.

They love tackling some dark subjects, and for that, I read anything they write.

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• Flawfinder's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with printerthorn using Skype
    • Steam Community :: flawfinder
    • @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2015, 03:48:32 PM »
Pretty much all my favorite anime that aren't comedies get my mind racing. Not interested in posting all that here, so I'm just going to list a few that I'd recommend you watch if you haven't.

Aku no Hana
Aoi Bungaku
Bokurano
Cat Soup
Cowboy Bebop
Haibane Renmei
Kaiba
Mawaru Penguindrum
Mind Game
Mouryou no Hako
Mushishi
Paranoia Agent
Patlabor 2: The Movie
Serial Experiments Lain
Texhnolyze
The Big O
The Tatami Galaxy
Un-Go
You're an anime. Animate something!

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2015, 10:00:13 PM »
mind racing
[...]
Cat Soup

He means something very specific. And its not 'you'll be enveloped in Cartesian musings about the nature of man'. Its 'you will hear the crunching sound as your mind, having become completely disoriented in its quest for meaning, collides with a metaphorical brick wall and becomes one with The Yuasa'.

Offline Alpha413

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2015, 05:55:21 AM »
I'm probably not suggesting exactly what you wanted, but, I would suggest you one live action show and a manga. The live action show is Kamen Rider Gaim, which is best described as a Kamen Rider series made by Gen Urobuchi, and he was given almost full control, and in case you watch it, don't watch episode 30. The manga is Qualia the Purple, it starts slowly and is nothing special for the first 6 chapters (by the way it is 18 chapters long), then the "fun" starts. It is a fascinating work, and an unexpectedly epic one.

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• Flawfinder's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with printerthorn using Skype
    • Steam Community :: flawfinder
    • @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2015, 04:12:23 PM »
mind racing
[...]
Cat Soup

He means something very specific. And its not 'you'll be enveloped in Cartesian musings about the nature of man'. Its 'you will hear the crunching sound as your mind, having become completely disoriented in its quest for meaning, collides with a metaphorical brick wall and becomes one with The Yuasa'.

You've obviously never seen Cat Soup (the OVA. Not the TV series) if you think it doesn't fall into that.
You're an anime. Animate something!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up