Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 14, 2017, 07:21:39 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cerebral anime to digest  (Read 2975 times)

Offline Yog

Cerebral anime to digest
« on: October 05, 2015, 06:48:19 PM »
Hi there, I've been lurking on this site for years, and I've been stricken with the urge to make an account these days.

I've always enjoyed anime that you can pick apart, analyze, find multiple ways to interpret. I was wondering if anyone else had anything for me, haha.

Just to give a bit of context to my tastes, I have a few titles.

Kaiba
Serial Experiments Lain
Texhnolyze
Kino's Journey
Shin Sekai Yori
Mushishi

Even if there's nothing to suggest, I'd love to just discuss, shoot the shit about this sort of stuff.

Offline gedata

• gedata's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @https://twitter.com/G3data

Re: Cerebral anime to digest
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 07:58:49 PM »
Paranoia Agent
Ghost in the Shell (Movies and SAC specificall)
Ergo Proxy
The Tatami Galaxy
Monster
Fullmetal Alchemist (specifically the 2003 adaptation)
Go have fun now.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 08:27:40 PM by gedata »

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 08:06:21 PM »
Psycho Pass is intensely cerebral.

For serious this time, it's one of the best and most thought-provoking anime of the current decade.

For a more emotional experience that offers more questions than answers, there's Gankutsuo, the best anime ever made.
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline KS

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 08:29:05 PM »
I guess I'd go with Legend of The Galactic Heroes.  I've never really seen a show tackle the ideas of the human struggle and social contract theory quite like it has.  It covers a very wide array of topics from will to power and succession, merits and failings of both democratic and monarchical political systems, the costs of war, grey morality, family, military tactics and the importance of selecting those with talent versus status and many more and it always does it with maturity and is never insulting or condescending toward the viewer.  You also get characters of varying ages, walks of life and persuasion and there's pretty much no dead weight or superfluous purpose to their being in the story which is pretty unusual for a lot of anime.  There's really no other show quite like it though it is a long daunting one at 3 Movies plus 110 OVA episodes of 22-30 minutes plus another 50 episodes of prequel and backstory.  For most people I've gotten into it though the watch goes a lot faster than they might think.  I remember watching the first 26 or so episodes over the course of a year and then the last 84 or so in the span of like a month.

Offline Yog

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 08:35:41 PM »
Paranoia Agent
Ghost in the Shell (Movies and SAC specificall)
Ergo Proxy
The Tatami Galaxy
Monster

Go have fun now.

Oh, I've seen all these, haha.

I'm a huge fan of Masaaki Yuasa, so I loved Tatami Galaxy especially, and I maintain Monster is one of the best anime I've ever seen, bar none.

Of the rest, Ghost in the Shell is always fantastic, but I haven't gotten around to seeing any of the new stuff yet, I have no idea what to think.

Satoshi Kon is also a must, so i already saw paranoia agent.

I could never get through Ergo Proxy. As much as I loved the concept and everything, there was something that just. Struck me wrong. Possibly how slow it felt, but Texhnolyze already beats it there, so. I dunno.

Psycho Pass is intensely cerebral.

For serious this time, it's one of the best and most thought-provoking anime of the current decade.

For a more emotional experience that offers more questions than answers, there's Gankutsuo, the best anime ever made.
I LOVED Psycho Pass. Gen Urobochi, when he's given free reign, can create some intensely interesting stories. Psycho Pass was one of his best, shame about that second season though.

Gankutsuo is completely new to me, I'll take a look.

I'm sure this is a bit of old news, but something that I was completely fascinated in was Oyasumi Punpun. A manga, sure, but one of the greatest things I've read period.

I guess I'd go with Legend of The Galactic Heroes.  I've never really seen a show tackle the ideas of the human struggle and social contract theory quite like it has.  It covers a very wide array of topics from will to power and succession, merits and failings of both democratic and monarchical political systems, the costs of war, grey morality, family, military tactics and the importance of selecting those with talent versus status and many more and it always does it with maturity and is never insulting or condescending toward the viewer.  You also get characters of varying ages, walks of life and persuasion and there's pretty much no dead weight or superfluous purpose to their being in the story which is pretty unusual for a lot of anime.  There's really no other show quite like it though it is a long daunting one at 3 Movies plus 110 OVA episodes of 22-30 minutes plus another 50 episodes of prequel and backstory.  For most people I've gotten into it though the watch goes a lot faster than they might think.  I remember watching the first 26 or so episodes over the course of a year and then the last 84 or so in the span of like a month.

Mmm, anything to do with in depth studies of society and the human condition automatically gets a look see from me. Especially if it has shades of gray with it's morality.

And there's a LOT of content too, haha, so it'll be fascinating to chew through.

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 09:03:46 PM »
I'll throw together a quick list of shows that at the very least will make you think, in no particular order. I did not include shows with excellent characterization and character development (Hyouka, Monogatari, Kure-nai)  nor did I include shows that require interpretation to truly understand (RahXephon, Oregairu S2) though you could argue they are just are thought provoking as the shows I list below.

Gatchaman Crowds/Insight
Casshern Sins
Time of Eve
Aquatic Language
Dennou Coil
Key the Metal Idol
Vampire Princess Miyu OVA
Martian Successor Nadesico
Now and Then, Here and There
HunterXHunter
Banner of the Stars/Crest of the Stars
Infinite Ryvius
Koi Kaze
Denpa Teki Na Kanojo
Patlabor 2
Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
Utena
Yuri Kuma Arashi
And of course, the Berserk Outtakes ("Where was I? Oh, right, the Meaning of Life by Guts. What is the meaning of death?"
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 09:09:59 PM by The Big Guy »
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline Delphinox

• The Only Hero That Ever Dies

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 09:10:49 PM »
Even if there's nothing to suggest, I'd love to just discuss, shoot the shit about this sort of stuff.

Fire at will then, homie. Chances are you'll get something going if you rattle off enough shows or talking points or whatever.

But if you've been around the block a bit, then my go-to suggestion would probably drill down to Mouryou no Hako (if you haven't seen that already, of course). A really bizarre and obsessive central murder mystery with a ton of different threads strewn about, presented in a novel-like fashion that's often pretty relentless on the mind because of the sheer amount of attention it demands to begin to untangle everything about it. Not necessarily one of my favorites in terms of cerebral shows, but I found it plenty interesting enough and it's not every day I can dig deep enough to suggest it, so I might as well seize the opportunity to do so.

Offline Yog

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 09:20:17 PM »
I'll throw together a quick list of shows that at the very least will make you think, in no particular order. I did not include shows with excellent characterization and character development (Hyouka, Monogatari, Kure-nai)  nor did I include shows that require interpretation to truly understand (RahXephon, Oregairu S2) though you could argue they are just are thought provoking as the shows I list below.

Gatchaman Crowds/Insight
Casshern Sins
Time of Eve
Aquatic Language
Dennou Coil
Key the Metal Idol
Vampire Princess Miyu OVA
Martian Successor Nadesico
Now and Then, Here and There
HunterXHunter
Banner of the Stars/Crest of the Stars
Infinite Ryvius
Koi Kaze
Denpa Teki Na Kanojo
Patlabor 2
Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
Utena
Yuri Kuma Arashi
And of course, the Berserk Outtakes ("Where was I? Oh, right, the Meaning of Life by Guts. What is the meaning of death?"

I've seen the bolded, nothing but good stuff. The others will probably be just as good as well.

Kunihiko Ikuhara remains one of my go tos in terms of just brain snacks that last for weeks. I haven't touched Yuri Kuma Arashi, dunno why. Haven't heard the best about it, but I need to watch it regardless.

Fire at will then, homie. Chances are you'll get something going if you rattle off enough shows or talking points or whatever.

But if you've been around the block a bit, then my go-to suggestion would probably drill down to Mouryou no Hako (if you haven't seen that already, of course). A really bizarre and obsessive central murder mystery with a ton of different threads strewn about, presented in a novel-like fashion that's often pretty relentless on the mind because of the sheer amount of attention it demands to begin to untangle everything about it. Not necessarily one of my favorites in terms of cerebral shows, but I found it plenty interesting enough and it's not every day I can dig deep enough to suggest it, so I might as well seize the opportunity to do so.

Oh fantastic, we're getting to the very obscure now, haha.

I'll take that suggestion, anything of that level is perfect.

Anything to do with self awareness in things that aren't human, or containing trans-humanist themes just gets me drooling.

Currently I'm just rolling through Kemonozume again, and after that, the Mardock Scramble series. Anyone have anything to say about those movies?

I also have enjoy any b movie stuff, heh. Just gorey stupid fare is fun to watch when you need to unplug as well.

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • samui26's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 09:23:57 PM »
Perfect Blue (also a movie from Satoshi Kon) and the 2012 Lupin (The Woman Named Fujiko Mine) spinoff are also mind trolls. Of course, Penguindrum also counts.
I am not sure if good animes are getting fewer these days or my taste has gone numb because most of what I watch recently look the same.

Oh, another shameless plug. Here's my blog: http://samui26.wordpress.com

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 09:34:16 PM »
I think most of the bad press for Yuri Kuma Arashi occurred because the show, like all of Ikuhara's shows, take a couple episodes of repetition before it finds its groove. Utena took a couple episodes of cliche shoujo storylines and goofy comedy before it started delving into its cast, Mawaru Penguin Drum had its slow burning diary storyline before it showed its hand (and ten thousand plot twists), and Yuri Kuma Arashi has three episodes of almost beat to beat repetition before it deviates and becomes a much stronger show in the process. I think they are all excellent.
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline Delphinox

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 09:38:37 PM »
Currently I'm just rolling through Kemonozume again, and after that, the Mardock Scramble series. Anyone have anything to say about those movies?

On the note of the Mardock Scramble movies, only a variation of a tired joke:

"Hi, I'm anime cyberpunk, and I have DirectTV."

"And I'm Tow Ubukata-written anime cyberpunk, and I have cable."

Offline Yog

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 09:41:49 PM »
Perfect Blue (also a movie from Satoshi Kon) and the 2012 Lupin (The Woman Named Fujiko Mine) spinoff are also mind trolls. Of course, Penguindrum also counts.

I need to watch more Lupin. But I've seen Perfect Blue, it's pretty good.
I think most of the bad press for Yuri Kuma Arashi occurred because the show, like all of Ikuhara's shows, take a couple episodes of repetition before it finds its groove. Utena took a couple episodes of cliche shoujo storylines and goofy comedy before it started delving into its cast, Mawaru Penguin Drum had its slow burning diary storyline before it showed its hand (and ten thousand plot twists), and Yuri Kuma Arashi has three episodes of almost beat to beat repetition before it deviates and becomes a much stronger show in the process. I think they are all excellent.
I'll put it on my schedule then.

I loved Penguindrum, while Utena is my favorite of Ikuhara's shows, Penguindrum frequently battles it for that spot with every time I see it.

Especially since that show is just. Filled with all sort of different ways to view it.

On the note of the Mardock Scramble movies, only a variation of a tired joke:

"Hi, I'm anime cyberpunk, and I have DirectTV."

"And I'm Tow Ubukata-written anime cyberpunk, and I have cable."
Hehe. Hmm. So it doesn't really reach the average standard, huh?

Offline Delphinox

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 10:13:49 PM »
Hehe. Hmm. So it doesn't really reach the average standard, huh?

For the sake of keeping it brief since I've got to be up in the morning, I've found Mardock Scramble to have pretty much the same fundamental problems as Tow Ubukata's more prolific works - it's completely lost on how to present the fine details that make a lot of the cyberpunk genre's standouts what they are.

Offline Yog

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2015, 10:16:19 PM »
Hrm.

That's a shame then.

It looked pretty interesting.

I wonder what I'll replace it with.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2015, 10:39:33 PM »
So you seem to have an affinity for more "cerebral" works as I do. For the record, Mardock Scramble is a pure disappointment. As someone who loves Texhnolyze (An anime I consider one of the best ever) and Lain, I think I have an idea of what you might be interested in. Something like Legend of the Galactic Heroes doesn't really fit the bill in this regard, though it is a great anime worth checking out if you  ever feel up to it.

A show I think you should definitely check out if you haven't already is Mushishi. It's hard to describe, but that series puts your mind in a totally different state of mind. Haibane Renmei is also a must see. You'll notice the artist for it is the same as Lain and Texhnolyze (Yoshitoshi Abe). Oh and of course, if you haven't ever seen Neon Genesis Evangelion (The TV series and End of Evangelion), you should definitely see it even if it's just for hisotrical understanding of how much of modern anime came to be. It definitely gives you plenty to think about (Particularly the second half), and it still remains my favorite anime of all time.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up