Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

February 21, 2018, 05:58:19 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Violet Evergarden  (Read 624 times)

Offline gedata

• gedata's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @https://twitter.com/G3data

Violet Evergarden
« on: January 10, 2018, 07:39:15 PM »
Netflix is simulcasting everywhere except the US, Spain, Norway and Australia apparently.

Honestly was kind of bored with this. I don't really care for tearjerkers. Hopefully I'll start seeing something like this once Violet starts nailing down who she really is. Instead of having her become an interesting character later, I'd rather have that be the case right now. I'm not confident that I'll keep up with this.

The episode itself was undoubtedly respectable in what it accomplished. The ending scene and the emotion imbued in it was pretty great though With the help of the music and the visuals, it gives a big emotional landing. It just felt super raw.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Re: Violet Evergarden
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 07:54:19 PM »
Netflix's obnoxious belief that people only want to marathon seasons worth of stuff can **** right off.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 10:23:56 PM »
Netflix is embargoing Violet Evergarden in the US until March/April.  They just raised their subscription rates too.  Grr..
HuuskerDu at FanFiction.net.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 03:44:06 AM »
I think Kyoto Animation will be treading carefully. This is suppose to be some award winning stuff. Manga/LN fans will burn down the studio if Kyoanine screw it up.
Kyoto Animation used to make great animation. But the recent series seems ok. Not as great as the pre 2010 series.

It set the stage that this is going to be a tear jerker. Auto Dolls, robots, or what ever they are called, trying to find the meaning of love, and want to love and be love. It's just another take on Brian Aldiss's short story titled 'Supertoys Last All summer'. The movie version was titled 'A.I'.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 07:14:08 AM »
1:

PWHOAR NETFLIX--

I've heard a lot about this series, so I guess this is what everyone's going to talk about this season. Plus, it's KyoAni so naturally everyone's going to talk about it. It's pretty AF (as expected) but I'm not as impressed at the first episode. I get the hint that it's going in the tearjerker direction, but I'm not sure if it will become a good one eventually.

I'm being cautiously optimistic. Let's see where this goes.

Offline staubbedeckt

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 07:42:45 AM »
It set the stage that this is going to be a tear jerker. Auto Dolls, robots, or what ever they are called, trying to find the meaning of love, and want to love and be love. It's just another take on Brian Aldiss's short story titled 'Supertoys Last All summer'. The movie version was titled 'A.I'.

There's been a lot of confusion in the non-Japanese internet on this point, but Violet and the other "Auto Memory Dolls" at the post office aren't robots. The setting has robots too, though; among whom were the original Auto Memory Dolls -- from whose name was taken the title of the profession as it currently stands. Kind of abstruse.

Considering Violet's emotions or lack thereof, though, this does indeed resemble the conventional spin on the Aldiss story, yeah.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 05:38:46 AM »
2:

We are two episodes into this show, and I still have two very basic things I don't quite understand: one, why are Auto Memory Dolls even a thing in this world? Why can't people just write letters (by hand and not necessarily with a typewriter) by themselves? And two, what exactly is Violet? Is she even human? The part still hasn't been explicit about this one.

Forgive me if I'm slow about these two things.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 02:42:51 AM by AC »

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 08:44:59 PM »
2: I was wondering why Kyo-ani was doing a show like this. Then in this episode we got revealed our assembled female cast and then it all made sense.

Still I guess its change of pace enough for them. The music is a bit much at times though. I know they want pretty music to compliment a pretty show, but a little more restraint would serve this show better.

Online Major Tom

• PYON!
    • MajorTom's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 02:20:01 AM »
It's pretty obvious that the longer Hodgkins holds off telling Violet about Gilbert's fate (they're really pushing that he's dead), the worse it will be for Violet when she eventually finds out. I kind of think that's the point, and I'm not sure I'm okay with that right now. Maybe if it is a joint effort between Hodgekins and Violet to admit to themselves that their friend is dead (presumably) and start mourning him, or a complete red herring but at the same time I find myself annoyed that it is rather obvious this early on, and that I know that when she does find out it's going to pull hard on those emotional strings and will most likely work on me despite knowing it's coming.

I also feel the Violet is a little too robot like. There's adjusting to a completely different kind of life after a war, but surely she's interacted with the rank and file and learned some social skills, even if it's that particular brand of black humour that soldiers develop that isn't really meant for polite company. Gilbert doesn't seem like the kind of guy to keep her locked away when she's not in use.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 06:00:48 AM »
3:

This episode is all over the place.

This militaristic Auto Memory Doll school teaches people how to become the most 'optimal dolls' to translate people's feelings into words... how ironic to have a militaristic school that teaches people to become anything but militaristic.

Fast-forward, and people already graduated to become optimal dolls... really? That was quick. For a school that promises to churn out 'optimal' (it's really ironic to call empathetic dolls as 'optimal', huh?) dolls, it's only obvious to assume that this is the school of hard knocks. But nope, just zoom right through the boot camp, and before you know it, school's over.

Violet manages to write an effective letter, and headmistress graduates her... really?? An optimal doll only needs to write one letter to pass and get certified? Damn, 'optimal' doesn't really mean that much, does it. I get the story: this school is about being an efficient typist, and more importantly, an emotionally intelligent translator (read: not militaristic). Emotional intelligence, a not-easy thing to understand and master... but nope, just get one letter right and you pass. Just wow.

And since it's episode three and there's no real explanation as to why Violet is strangely robotic, it's only led me to believe that this show just wants to make the story dramatic. 'Auto Memory Dolls', a real-life 'doll' named Violet, a mechanical arm... they're just plot devices to serve as dissonance to the theme, which is about understanding each other's feelings.

How anticlimactic.

Online Major Tom

• PYON!
    • MajorTom's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 06:28:14 AM »
I'm still finding Violet far too robotic to be all that sympathetic. I think I would have found Lucelia's brother's story more compelling, as it would be a more visceral version of what (I think anyway) this show is trying to do. These boys came back from the war broken in so many ways, and yet have to reintegrate into society within the societal rules and constrictions of their time while at the same time trying to parse what happened to them and what they did. Not an easy task and in reality many did not make peace with their war.

And then we have Violet. If her emotionless demeanour was but a facade for someone who is struggling to become a civilian after being a literal killing machine for years, then that would be more interesting. But aside from her manhandling that aggro client a couple of episodes ago and her direct manner, I can't really recall much in the way her wartime upbringing is coming into conflict with civilian life. I have a feeling that the majority of this show is going to be one of those where everything around the MC is fascinating, but the MC themselves is boring as shit.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 07:53:39 AM »
I simply think the show is trying to compensate for Violet too much. What better way to learn about emotions than to do so through the eyes of one who doesn't them at all. And just to make it more obvious, she's an Auto Memory Doll (keyword is "Doll"), has a metallic arm (the show really wants you to know that), and for some reason people must engage with certain people to translate their emotions into words for them (because people don't know how to write letters, maybe).

If Violet were to have a crash course in experiencing emotions, it's when she finally learns about what happened to the Major. It's just waiting to happen.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 05:35:16 AM »
A big job with political ramification for Violet? She must did  few outstanding job.

So if episode 4 was for her to listen from the heart, 5 would be to observe how people fall in love.

But the 'love' is actually quite clique. And the fact that the story took a time warp and that lessen the emotional impact even more. It could be better if it was a bit stretch out into 1.5 episode .

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2018, 05:42:46 AM »
5:

If I'd taken a shot every time I hear this, I'd be flat on the ground by now.

It's about time some shit hit the fan.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 05:02:09 AM »
6:

If I'd taken a shot every time I see someone gasping at Violet's metal hands, I'd be flat on the grou--, wait a minute. Did I miss an entire episode, or did this show completely ignore what happened at the end of the previous episode. Or did this show suffer amnesia or something?

Something just occurred to me. There's another show with a main character just like Violet, and that's Elias from Ancient Magus' Bride. That show is doing a way better job at developing Elias' character than this one... maybe that's why any attempt of making Violet more emotional just seems futile to me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up