Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 17, 2017, 09:48:00 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Osomatsu-san  (Read 6672 times)

Offline gedata

• gedata's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @https://twitter.com/G3data

Osomatsu-san
« on: October 05, 2015, 04:38:58 PM »
Alright, who here ever heard about this franchise before?

1:

Not the biggest fan of meta humor really, but I really dug how this one yanks the rug from under you a couple of times. Of course it wasn't all funny (dated references are dated) but it did fire off these gags quick enough to keep them from too major pf a detractor.To be honest only discovering this franchise with this revival makes me feel like I'm attending a high school reunion to a place I never studied at.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 04:51:41 PM by gedata »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Re: Osomatsu-san
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 09:37:18 PM »
1:

Wha... what in the **** was that?  I just got done dealing with an ulcer inducing Monday Night Football game and needed to relax and I get 22 minutes of what would happen if the Flintstones tried to make a comeback 50 years later.  I... I just wasn't ready for this.

I... I need to go lie down.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Gadget

Osomatsu-san
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 10:16:34 AM »
I have no idea what to say. I though the visual for Concrete Revolutio: was strange enough. And now we have this.

Ok, it's a season for gag parodies. Like Concrete Revolutio:, Osomatsu has lots of parodies. And it seems breaking the fifth wall is also the in thing now. From Hana Yori Dango, to Attack on Titans, Haikyuu!, and Yowamushi Pedal.

Ok, it's fun. But like all parodies, you need knowledge before they become funny. Even the preview has gag comedy. Ever since Tiger and Bunny, preview into has turn into comedy.

But it was fun. Not sure if they can keep it up. Feels a bit like watching FLCL. Now that it settle into a format, I don't think we are going to see Shonan Hollywood style ever again.

Makes me think it's a good thing Black Jack and Doraemon are still popular and has been updated with several movies and ova. Including Young Black Jack. Makes me wonder if there is a lapse of 40 years, Black Jack and Doraemon may ended liking like Osomatsu-san.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 04:18:48 PM »
1:
Holy crap! That sh*t was bananas. My favorite sibling so far has to be Choromatsu. He (And Kamiya Hiroshi) definitely got the most laughs out of me.

And the opening song was delightfully Showa Era.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 02:08:57 AM »
1:

It tested my patience, but this is clearly the OG gintama. Whoever's writing this doesn't give a f*ck. 
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • samui26's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 11:12:51 PM »
1: What the heck did I just watch? Am I supposed to laugh? I find it quirky with all the references thrown but it only managed to make me smile. Ugh.
I am not sure if good animes are getting fewer these days or my taste has gone numb because most of what I watch recently look the same.

Oh, another shameless plug. Here's my blog: http://samui26.wordpress.com

Offline Gadget

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 07:13:17 AM »
It's more irritating than funny. Nuff said. Unless I'm persuaded, drop.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 09:45:09 PM »
It's more irritating than funny. Nuff said. Unless I'm persuaded, drop.

You're high.  This is classic 'toon humor thrust into an unsuspecting modem cynical pandering Otaku centric world.

It is glorious.

S**.

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 06:59:31 PM »
2: I'll go back when I am able to finish this episode without yawning. Seriously.
I am not sure if good animes are getting fewer these days or my taste has gone numb because most of what I watch recently look the same.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 05:51:32 AM »
3:

Third episode in and they're already doing random shorts?  Hell, Panty & Stocking waited until about 10 for that.  Not a good sign, though that last segment with the bathhouse had me in stitches.

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• Flawfinder's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with printerthorn using Skype
    • Steam Community :: flawfinder
    • @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2015, 06:47:04 PM »
Caught up on a few shows. Wasn't planning to watch this one since I don't like in-jokes, especially anime ones, and the first two episodes didn't impress. But somebody forced me to watch the third episode and I ended up laughing at the Saw parody (and a little at the man who went Number 2 and got arrested for it). The other jokes don't do too much for me, but it's only 12 episodes and it's worth it for the occasional joke that works I guess.
You're an anime. Animate something!

Offline Mr. Flawfinder

• Flawfinder's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with printerthorn using Skype
    • Steam Community :: flawfinder
    • @mrflawfinder
    • Standing On My Neck

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 04:44:31 PM »
4:

And...I'm dropping this show again. That was freaking crap.
You're an anime. Animate something!

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 09:57:58 PM »
4:

I'm just going to have to accept that this is the Animaniacs attempt by Japan and leave it at that.  In light of that, this is really entertaining.  Everybody in this show is ****ing crazy and there isn't a single hint of rhyme or reason to any of the segments as part of the whole show.  Individually, each one has its own story, so to speak, but you could pretend none of it matters to the other ones, at least so far.  The lynchpin of this week's episode was the other 5 brothers staring on in disbelief over Tatoko's outfit for a beat, then joining Choromatsu in their adoration for the retarded thing in earnest.

Really, this is the kind of random schlock you get from most western cartoons done with a very Japanese bent.  Naturally, we here in the west don't get the same thing out of Otsomatsu-san that the Japanese do.  Very few of us know anything about the manga that this was based on, and so we not only are ignorant but we also don't get that same "nostalgia bomb" effect that they do.

I still think it's fun, though, for what it is.

Offline KS

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 01:20:28 PM »
1:  So like what's the angle here?  I mean yeah it's a parody comedy show, but the whole having a cast of weird similar looking family members all voiced by the biggest male voice actors that make fujoshis spider senses tingle seems kind of odd and hard not to notice.  What a weird marketing angle to take for a revival show of a 60's family friendly anime, then again Shirtless Young Black Jack also had my eyebrows raised a little as well.  I mean seriously just look at that cast, literally everyone is there from Kamiya, to Fukuyama to Miyano, Sakurai, Nakamura, Orino and Ono.  All they need is a special guest appearance by Yuki Kaji to make it the most complete casting of female otaku favorites in modern memory.

I suppose I shouldn't be the slightest bit surprised that Gintama's director is behind this, the style and vibe from that franchise is hard not to notice.  It's about the only comedy series that has managed to do the whole largely detached standalone story-lines and zany pop culture parody/riff thing while not managing to be annoying about it so if that carries over here it seems like it will have been a good match.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 01:26:31 PM by KS »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2015, 07:30:44 PM »
5:

I don't know why people don't find this funny, because it's ****ing funny.

However, they got in trouble and will have to back and edit or remove episodes 1 and 3 because of referential humor to other shows.  Apparently they violated some rules or something.

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2015, 08:55:45 AM »
3: Are they trying to show different kinds of presentation in this show? Uhm... At least this one has my attention although the jokes only managed to forge a grin.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 09:04:47 AM by samui »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2015, 10:16:12 PM »
8:

Only remark I'm going to make is that Totoko is the most honest girl ever.  That's right, I'm making an /rk9/ esque misogynist comment.  Come at me!

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2015, 07:02:16 AM »
8: I smirked when Totoko revealed her intention behind the idol thing and the aftermath of her post-idol days.

As for the series, I find it really absurd but incredibly hard to watch.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2015, 10:59:04 PM »
9:

Best running alongside a departing train scene ever.  I'm not going to feel too much emotion for this, no matter how much they're tugging at Juicy's heartstrings.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2015, 04:55:04 PM »
10:

Hmm...

I'd hit it.

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2015, 02:31:33 AM »
10: At least I snickered with this episode. This is Osomatsu-san in its neurotic best.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2015, 12:01:02 AM »
12, and 12A:

Okay, I ask you, what is better?  A year end special that is a blatant recap episode or a year end special where the -matsu sextuplets' voice actors all talk about shit for 30 minutes, making sure to mention how much they LOVE the sponsors, while paying attention to **** all that's going on on the screen?

Yeah, it's the latter, and screw you if you don't agree.  Interesting how popular this show is.  I rather enjoy it, but I don't think it is drastically superior to any other anime comedy I've ever seen.  So I wonder what sets this apart?  The nostalgia factor of this being old as dirt?  I don't know, but it is getting us another cour, so bring it on ****ers!

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2016, 04:30:37 PM »
18:

Okay, there is no ****ing way any episode of any other show this week is going to beat that tour de force.  That was goddamned amazing.

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2016, 10:21:40 AM »
Just so you wait. I am gonna catch up soon.

11: This is the very first time I laughed real good in this series. Man, stay neurotic. I love this brand of comedy.

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2016, 01:15:50 PM »
18:

That was ****ing spectacular.

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2016, 12:45:01 AM »
18:

That was. Wow....

I am torn between the Carnival Phantasm Race and this one as the craziest I ever watched. My money's still on the former but man... this is good.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2016, 12:37:44 AM »
19:

Mostly average ho-hum Osomatsu shit until that last segment about self-awareness, and then I just couldn't stop ****ing laughing.  I didn't know Totty could freak out like that, but considering the nature of siblings (worse for sextuplets, I imagine), any brother can drive another brother insane.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2016, 02:47:12 AM »
20:

Lots of meta here.  Lots.  What was that meat, anyway?

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2016, 10:24:42 PM »
19: The Choromatsu self awareness thing left me in giggles here. The rest? Meh.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2016, 11:07:56 AM »
23:

Holy crap.  If you didn't "get" that first half, it is because you don't have siblings.  The second half was a great big whopping, steaming, pile of, shh.... DAAAAAAAYOOOOOOOONNN!

Offline Pebble

« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2016, 05:25:11 PM »
24:

Some part of me, by which I mean all of me, is supremely suspicious of this show trying anything even distantly related to being serious. But the way Osomatsu-san is doing this has had enough passive buildup that it might actually be legit. It might, just miiiight actually be good.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2016, 08:01:28 PM »
Hell no.  Osomatsu is going to go **** some shit up next episode and reset the status quo.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2016, 02:09:52 PM »
25 (END):

Quote from: Me
Hell no.  Osomatsu is going to go **** some shit up next episode and reset the status quo.

Uh huh.  Nothing more status quo than our sextuplets given a chance to bang Totoko and still remaining virgins by the end.  What is impossible.. is impossible, after all, bura-zah.

SHEEEEEH!

Going to miss the hell out of this shit.  I voted this as my AOTY for 2015 based on only half the series, and I am glad that the rest did not disappoint.  I only wish that people in future viewings will one day get to experience the full first episode without whatever reimagined (read: censored so they don't get their asses sued) hell they come up with.  Oh don't get me wrong, I fully expect the reimagined first episode to still be glorious, and mostly unchanged except for some references that got them in trouble, but it just wont be the same.  Or hell, maybe it'll be better.  What the **** do I know?

Osomatsu-san really poked a badger in Japan, and the sales reflect that.  I don't know if it is just the nostalgia bomb for people who grew up with the original show / manga and the subsequent... uh... childhood raping?... that this incarnation turned it into, or the fujoshis running amok again, or that it is just that ****ing funny, or all three.  What I do know is that it is ****ing funny, in a way that I haven't experienced with anime in a long time.  I may not have gotten all the jokes, but I still laughed, even at the slightly overdone gags on the character personalities.  Somehow, they keep everything feeling like it is fresh, probably through the injection of some really ****ing weird, crack induced ideas.  A lot of this random silliness reminded me of Panty & Stocking in that regard, which makes me wonder if maybe the key to a good comedy is to just do drugs and put together some really simple character designs, because the formula seems to work.

I will miss watching this weekly.

9/10.

Offline gedata

• gedata's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @https://twitter.com/G3data

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2016, 04:05:12 PM »
Not sure why I stopped watching this, I really dug the 1st episode.

Offline Pebble

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2016, 11:33:43 AM »
25:

10/Cocaine.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2016, 04:46:29 AM »
JRA Promotional Special:

Oh shit, I wanted to be at the pitch discussion for this one.

JRA: "Okay, so, Studio Pierrot!  You've done a show that has made shit tons of money and we want some of that!  We want you to do a promotional add for horse racing using the Matsus!"
Pierrot:  "Well, okay, but you've seen the show, right?  We did some crazy things on that show."
JRA:  "Yeah!  Made you millions, too!  We're all about whatever you're about in making millions!"
Pierrot:  "Well, okay, but we've never done a commercial with our characters before."
JRA:  "Oh that's no problem whatsoever!  You guys are clearly money-making geniuses, so just do whatever you want!"
Pierrot:  "Uh... 'whatever' we want?"
JRA:  "Whatever you want, so long as it makes money!"
PIerrot:  "Well, okay, but Osomatsu-niisan is going to end up with a big horse dick in his ass."

And that's how Osomatsu-niisan ended up with a big horse dick in his ass.

You think I'm making this shit up, aren't you?

You clearly don't know me if you think I'm making this shit up.

Watch the ****ing 22 minute long commercial for the Japanese Racing Association.

Osomatsu-niisan ends up with a big horse dick in his ass.

Big.
Horse.
Dick.
In his ass.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2017, 02:54:26 AM »
Season 2 Episode 1:

SHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't think they could top having Osomatsu get a horse dick up the ass.  I was blind.  I was wrong!  I'M SORRY OKAY!?  JUST STOP WITH THE 3D JUICY-MASTU AND THE LIVE ACTION TOTTY!

STOPPIT!  I SAID I'M SORRY!  I CAN'T BREATHE!

Offline Pebble

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2017, 11:52:54 AM »
S2 E1:

This show is so ****ed up.

More please.

Offline SQA

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2017, 04:36:17 AM »
That was one of the most brutally Meta 20 minutes I've ever seen. At least they didn't hang themselves after going back to the "see the future" part.

Offline Pebble

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2017, 09:51:22 PM »
"2":

I liked the part where Osomatsu's appendix was pitch black, and had eyes.

What the **** have I been watching....

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2017, 12:46:45 AM »
S2E2:

My mom has never cut off my nipples before.

I'm not loved, am I?

Offline SQA

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2017, 04:33:33 AM »
S2E2:

My mom has never cut off my nipples before.

I'm not loved, am I?

TIF asking the hard questions.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2017, 12:35:20 PM »
S2E3:

When Time-Life Books first depicted the famous drawing of evolution known as the March of Progress, they apparently left out the most important part:  the evolution of the fleshlight.

Offline SQA

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2017, 01:30:06 AM »
S2E3:

When Time-Life Books first depicted the famous drawing of evolution known as the March of Progress, they apparently left out the most important part:  the evolution of the fleshlight.

Phrases that no one could have ever expected to be typed.

Does this qualify as "only from Japan"?

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2017, 12:08:39 AM »
S2E4:

Yeah, seriously, if your parents are having relations trouble, you really REALLY don't want to poke that badger, Choromatsu.

This was actually a somewhat heartfelt episode for this show.  Dad and his sons being complete imbeciles for 22 minutes.  Also apparently Chibita and Hatabou were ****ing in the oden cart.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2017, 11:32:58 PM »
S2E5:

We're in sketch comedy format already and whatever you ****ing do, do not enjoy your summer, especially as a couple, in front of Totoko.  Don't do it.

I always knew cicadas were virgin NEETs.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2017, 03:20:01 AM »
S2E7:

Apparently you're just not yourself unless you just randomly utter the word "boobs".

Offline SQA

« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2017, 09:07:41 AM »
S2E7:

Apparently you're just not yourself unless you just randomly utter the word "boobs".

Osomatsu-san comes out as Clay Travis watchers?

Offline Pebble

« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2017, 09:41:09 PM »
8:

Well. That was godlike.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up