Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 19, 2017, 08:29:24 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Putting a main characters tragic past at the beginning.  (Read 1009 times)

Offline hyperknees91

Putting a main characters tragic past at the beginning.
« on: April 18, 2015, 08:40:00 AM »
I can't help but feel this is a poor way of going about doing things. For example Owari no Seraph does this, Attack on Titan does, even The Last of Us does this. I understand it's to justify why the characters act a certain way later early on (in this case they all act bitter and angry to varying degrees), but to me it takes out the fun of figuring out why a character is the way he is. It becomes more of a simple equation of "this bad thing happened to him, therefore he is now angry" and there's little to be curious about.

While in the case of Berserk, Guts is an angry and bitter person and you're not immediately told why. This led to me being curious on why he acted the way he does, because it was apparent later on that he wasn't just an asshole all the time. Obviously if the character only comes across as one dimensional, then of course he won't be interesting and only seems to be an angry guy because the writer deems him so. But of course no character can be interesting in that case.

Then again I know putting the tragic past first can get it out of the way first hand, without having to stop the plot to go back to it. This is why I'd rather the tragic past to be implied instead of being explicitly given to you (Gut's suffers nightmares and doesn't like people touching him for example). Of course if what happened in the past is too complex for it to be implied, then yes I think it warrants to be revisted, just not from the initial introduction of a character.

Offline gedata

• gedata's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @https://twitter.com/G3data

Re: Putting a main characters tragic past at the beginning.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 10:59:50 AM »
1:

I guess it's for the sake of unpredictability. Starting off with a really sad story might shock people into thinking it's automatically good if they don't know what to expect. If Seraph of the End saved Yuichiro and Mika's backstory for later we would already know that the orphans wouldn't make it past the bishounen vampire captors the moment we see them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up