Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 16, 2017, 09:06:57 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Kyoukai no Rinne  (Read 12179 times)

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Kyoukai no Rinne
« on: April 07, 2015, 05:10:44 PM »
1:

This has an old-timey feel to it, with a pair of deadpan protagonists. Nothing spectacular, but entertaining.
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Re: Kyoukai no Rinne
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 05:26:29 PM »
Well, it's Takahashi's most recent work, so I'll watch it for that alone.  Assuming it ever gets subbed by a reputable and legal source, of course.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline gedata

• gedata's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @https://twitter.com/G3data

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 05:43:35 PM »
Well, it's Takahashi's most recent work, so I'll watch it for that alone.  Assuming it ever gets subbed by a reputable and legal source, of course.
Well Crunchy will be taking care of this one and thank goodness for that because the fansubs for this are nigh unreadable.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 12:00:00 AM »
1:

Holy cow.  It's so damned Takahashi.  If I had a single beef, it is that the cooperation between the two protagonists grows rather quickly.  I get that our heroine is not exactly new to "weird", but she sure takes a lot of shit in stride here.  Naturally, because this is Takahashi, she's also completely capable of handling the bizarre with her own no-nonsense fashions.

This is Takahashi getting back to the comedy, which is good.  Reminded me of the quick fire jokes of Maisson Ikkoku and Ranma 1/2.  I'm pleased.

Offline gedata

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 03:54:21 AM »
1:

Wonder how this'll hold up when it finally hits the shounen fight'n route as the OP suggests it will. Biggest issue this one has so far is that it hasn't done much to distinguish itself. Pretty much everything done here feels like it was handled with more pizzazz last year in Noragami.

Offline gedata

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 09:07:03 PM »
2:

Don't tell me he's a half-breed again >_>. Seems "Mamiya Sakura!" shouts will be the new "Kagome!" Any how, kind digging the mellow feel to this.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 10:13:18 PM »
2:

I'm reminded of Gingitsune, what with the super laid back atmosphere. A character was about to die, and I was grinning like I was watching Scooby-Doo getting chased by the monster of the week. The protagonists really add to the effect by being utterly unflappable.
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 12:51:46 AM »
2:

Holy crap but is Mamiya Sakura a trusting individual.  Don't get me wrong, cute fluffy mascot character looking bunnies don't normally set my alarm buttons off either (unless they're clowns... evil, evil clowns), but wandering around Dead Land with a giant rabbit and just going along with whatever he says is straight up ****ing stupid, yo.  I'm getting that she's not exactly dealing with a full deck here, and is sort of desensitized to weirdness, but God damn.

Also, somewhere in the Takahashi universe, Nabiki died and is really old and is now someone's grandmother.

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 09:27:50 AM »
1:

Loved it.

I guess Charon isnt the only mythological being that demands secular payment.

2:

Not nearly as fun as the first episode but still enjoyable.

It may just be my cynical western ways, disregarding my innate fear of mascotesque figures, but when Usagi-san was usherering Mamiya Sakura away from the festival and into the woods...I was certain that I had stumbled into a hentai.

I am both saddened and glad that cute short haired girl was not indicative of bland harem series. Though who knows. Granny had it going on!

Also. Zakuro...idk why idk why I keep associating vaguely similar anime this season. This one being a particular stretch.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 02:06:15 PM by Zeitgeist »

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 10:40:41 AM »
3:

So we have this series' Shippo. Such diversity.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 10:51:41 AM by Zeitgeist »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 10:55:04 PM »
Yeah, like Shippo is unique to Inu Yasha either.  Takahashi has her formulas, and they work, so she's not going to change them anytime soon.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 11:19:54 AM »
4:

The progression of Rokudou and Sakura's relationship felt incredibaly natural. It was a pleasure to watch. Miroku's introducton on the other hand...with no explanation provided for his agressive methods and "all spirits are the enemy" perspective he comes off as extremly out of place. This is largely due to the portrayal of spirits in the show thus far. They have mainly been comedic. With many beimg just hapless schlubs pining for some girl. So whether,as an exorcist, hes been raised to beleive otherwise or some spirit turned monster ate his dog remains to be seen. Though a killed relative plotline would be equally out of place.

Then we have Rokoudou's financial situation. Although he was doing so reluctanly, Rokoudou was makiing it rain. So as humorous as it is to see him bitch and stress over money, such jokes will lose all value should this happen/continue to again.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 09:34:50 PM »
4:

*snicker*

About time this show got uproariously funny.  This was classic Takahashi schlock, but it still works and still makes me laugh.  Also, the animation budget got a bit of a pinch this time didn't it?  Some seriously off model moments here.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 11:53:39 PM »
5:

Oh good, Rinne gets a weapon that isn't useless.  Maybe things will pick up a bit here.  Well, you know, after the whole romantic triangle thing is resolved.

Offline Zeitgeist

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 05:11:27 AM »
7:

O.o a two-parter. That's a first.

I legitimately thought the demon kid was the exorcist kid in his "true form". Not sure if that says something about me or overly generic character designs. But, exorcist kid didn't make an appearance this episode so...maybe?

Rokudou sure was zealous in his younger morr wealthy days. Protecting the spirits of rabbits, goldfish, and even cicada. Also, rabbits, goldfish, and even cicada have spirits. The poor demon boy just wanted to do his homework. Why couldn't Rokudou-chan spare just the spirit of a single insect?

All in all show remains fun.

(The gag with the scythe was hilarious. Even if it was just a rehash of the bible in episode 5)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All   Go Up