Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 19, 2017, 12:50:29 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma  (Read 17411 times)

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2016, 11:34:29 PM »
25:

I love Alice's character, but I still don't like this show for the same reason I dislike Bleach. Too much posturing and overblowing of stuff that is just not that cool. I feel like I'm watching a commercial rather than a competition.

The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2016, 11:35:40 PM »
I'm just glad they've toned down the literal foodgasm bullshit.  It's still full of comedically horrible overreactions to food, but it isn't as repugnant as it was in, say, the first couple of episodes.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Online Gadget

« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2016, 01:29:14 AM »
It's a comedy harem. Cooking is just an excuse. So Alice will now joint the line to be Yukihira's girl. Megumi, you have to work harder.

Side note:
It seems cooking contest in Asia is more like Shokugeki no Soma. Try watching Masterchef China. The drama is almost just as good as the cooking itself. You got unrepentant chef who still think they are the best after being diced from the judges. To sob stories on they are doing this to repay their parent for bring them into this world.

Offline Kubi

« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2016, 12:30:15 PM »
It's a comedy harem. Cooking is just an excuse. So Alice will now joint the line to be Yukihira's girl. Megumi, you have to work harder.
It's second hand info but
Spoiler for Hiden:
alice is engaged to ryo

For the foodgasms, I imagine there would be riots across Japan[ese image boards] if they werent using tosh character designs to their fullest.

Online Gadget

« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2016, 10:14:21 PM »
I'm just glad they've toned down the literal foodgasm bullshit.  It's still full of comedically horrible overreactions to food, but it isn't as repugnant as it was in, say, the first couple of episodes.

It has been replace by Jojo's Bizarre Adventures Stand user battle. It's a good joke, but it's a single use only.

I was hoping that the noodle itself would be part of the judging. Noodles can be made by extruding through a extruder, stretch, cut, sliced, shaved and pinched. And the dough can be pressed, compressed or even slammed. The type of flour and water will also effect the dough. But I guess that this is the limit of the writers knowledge.

And to counter the over greatness of Ramen's contribution. It's actually chinese noodle, This is from Wiki

The name ramen is the Japanese pronunciation of the Chinese lamian (拉麺). Until the 1950s, ramen was called shina soba (支那そば, literally "Chinese soba") but today chūka soba (中華そば, also meaning "Chinese soba") or just Ramen (ラーメン) are more common, as the word "支那" (shina, meaning "China") has acquired a pejorative connotation

Lamian means stretched noodles.

And instant noodles. It's basically a form of fried Ramen. And it was invented by a Chinese. He became a Japanese citizen and set up Nissin Noodles.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 10:52:55 PM by Gadget »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2016, 04:47:22 PM »
China doesn't exist in Japanland, you silly lie spreader.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2016, 03:47:23 PM »
29:

Oh thank God, poor God Tongue didn't get food raped again.  I always thought it was kind of stupid that Souma was capable of making something that she reacted so strongly to considering all the stuff she's tasted, and how important her supposed taste buds are.  This episode re-established that this is not a normal mouth and even "superior" food shouldn't send her into fits of forced foodgasm. 

I mean, I get it, they had to establish that Souma was the proper shounen protagonist, with the capability of making an impact on even the biggest and most important "adversary", but they could have done it without shitting all over the thing that makes Nakiri special.  Actually, it is basically the standard "men dominate ze womens" bullshit that permeates shounen everything, and therefore borderline misogynistic.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not a SJW progressive liberal ****face with my head up my own indoctrinated ass, but even I can see that sometimes the narratives of this shit are cringe inducing.  It is about my own particular tastes in characters; I like characters to be interesting, and I really do like strong female characters (based on my own opinion of what makes a strong female character, **** your Bechdel test bullshit), and shounen is just particularly bad at it.

Probably why I really don't care for most shounen, now that I think about it.

Anyhow, I usually make jokes about characters who are hyper competent that "read the script", but this ****ing guy Mimasaka is going beyond that, he's WRITING the script.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2016, 06:10:57 PM »
30:
Okay it isn't just me, these "foodgasms" (If you can even call them that anymore) are just getting weirder.

Online Gadget

« Reply #83 on: August 07, 2016, 02:20:27 AM »
Muscular tan man with crew cut hairstyle wearing school girl sailor uniform is so not right.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2016, 10:22:25 PM »
31:

Across the world, millions of fujoshi collectively died from sudden blood loss due to explosive nose bleeding when the proposed final had Hayama, Kurokibo, and Souma in a three way.

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • samui26's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2016, 09:10:19 PM »
31:

I am fudanshi and I didn't get the memo TIF. Teehee.  The fight was meh, to be fair. I only watch the show to see how far Souma can go.
I am not sure if good animes are getting fewer these days or my taste has gone numb because most of what I watch recently look the same.

Oh, another shameless plug. Here's my blog: http://samui26.wordpress.com

Offline gotarist

« Reply #86 on: August 20, 2016, 01:18:14 PM »
I know it seems odd, but I think this show is actually good. The whole thing is just a fun, silly riff on food-based reality TV shows.

I find this show's whole approach to fanservice very interesting because I don't actually think it gives off the creepy/leering vibe you get in so much of anime, but rather more of a light-hearted, winking character that has a kinda 70s french-softcore vibe.  What I mean to say is, I don't feel gross watching this show

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #87 on: August 20, 2016, 03:24:22 PM »
Then we must have come a long way.
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #88 on: August 20, 2016, 03:58:35 PM »
32:
I've definitely learned more about Pacific Saury than I will every need to know about anything else. lol

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2016, 05:45:53 PM »
I wouldn't say the show is "good", but it is entertaining in it's audacity and stupidity.  I take none of this seriously, though.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All   Go Up