Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 14, 2017, 08:08:08 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma  (Read 18984 times)

Offline AHideyo

• AHideyo's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Steam Community :: Hideyo

Re: Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2015, 09:50:30 PM »
Indian curry is good.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2015, 10:18:12 PM »
You and your mother are both whores.

(this is intended to be a humorous comment that in no way reflects how I actually feel about you or your female parental unit)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 12:16:38 AM by TypicalIdiotFan »
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline AHideyo

• AHideyo's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Steam Community :: Hideyo

« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2015, 01:14:06 AM »
You and your mother are both whores.

(this is intended to be a humorous comment that in no way reflects how I actually feel about you or your female parental unit)

BAHAAHHHAHAHAHA your comment was already funny and you just made it even funnier. BAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2015, 10:43:30 AM »
Sadly, I have noticed that people don't always pick up on my jokes.  The disclaimer is becoming my own trademark.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2015, 12:52:56 PM »
There will be retribution!!!

Offline Gadget

« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2015, 08:31:52 PM »

Judging time. So TIF going to skip this?

Good vs evil cooking. And turn evil cook into yandare. BTY, I do like Laksa. It's actually  Curry noodles. Local curry do not use fish. The Penang version does uses fish stock with out the coconut cream. I remember my mom use to prepare it once. The whole house have the stench of rotting fish. Dried shrimp past, call 'blachan' is added for the extra kick. Another disgusting stuff.  But the judges got it wrong. The key ingredient is coconut flower. It's the stuff that will add the fragrance. And you have to use a coconut shell ladle to cook and scoop the noodle. Not sure why. The noodles are cut, so that you use a spoon to eat. The gravy will splash if you use chopsticks.
They did not show the ununseal way of cooking Laksa noodles. The noodles are cook in the broth. Not the usual way of cooking in hot water like ramen or spaghetti.  Only rice noodles are used as floor base noodles will contaminate the broth.

Medicinal cooking is really expensive. There is a restaurant that when you step in, a Chinese physician will take your pules and examine you. Then he gave you a diagnosis and recommend what herbs to add into your dish. Some other medicinal herbs are used for cooking like Pork Rib Tea or Black Tea Eggs. It does have a liquors taste that is used in cooking. BTY, ginger is considered a medicinal stuff. Good for stomach upset and warming your body after a cold.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2015, 10:39:25 PM »
I'm still here, I'm just trying to figure out if that's the dumbest bullshit that Shokugeki no Souma has pulled yet or if this is just the beginning.

21:

First thing I want to say is that they have 5 judges and something like 30 dishes to judge.  Each judge is going to sample the 30 dishes and each judge is going to be eating them back to back to back to back to + ... + nback times.  I don't know about you, but that's a lot of ****ing food for a human being to ingest, and the animators have decided to show them slurping down nearly all of what they're eating.  Now maybe their stomachs are bottomless pits, but I don't care how delicious something is, by the 30th meal these guys are going to be dying.

And I imagine that'll be an exploited plot point or something.  #30's meal will be SOOOOOO good that they can still eat it and not feel full or some garbage.

Anyway, the battle between the Created Only In the Last Two Episodes yandere and the Never Before Been Important aide to an important character was about as compelling as a deck of cards without any tens.  For those following along, that's not very compelling.  In fact it's kind of annoying.  These two characters have heretofore been not important and yet we're given an entire episode devoted to them having a battle we don't care about.  We've only seen glimpses into the relationship that Erina and Hisako have, which seems to be tsundere friendship from the former and hero worship from the latter.  Like I said, not really compelling.  Next we have someone nobody cares about being all dark and sinister and then she's cured by medicinal cooking because... oh whatever.

I do like the things I learn about cooking.  Medicinal cooking is not a new thing to me, and I would have liked a little more explanation as to how each herb does it's thing, but not a big deal.  I'm struggling to figure out how something that reeks is delicious.  90% of our sense of taste comes from our sense of smell and if something smells like a shoe, it'll taste like one, too.  Without your smell, you can taste sweetness, sourness, bitterness, saltiness, and the umami thing.  They do mention these things, but honestly when it comes to SPICES there is a much greater attack on the nose than the tongue.

Meh, whatever.  Stupid side plot is over.  Bring on the Aldini brothers.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2015, 05:43:16 PM »
22:

Sometimes home cookin' is more important than fancy innovation.  Then there's whatever Alice is doing.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2015, 01:17:24 AM »
You stir in and mixed it with love.

Wait a minute, this not Himouto! Umaru-chan.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2015, 04:35:40 PM »
23:

I see we're back to being retarded with the food reactions.  I would say something about Kurokiba's bullying of the female judge into eating it his way being a really cringe inducing allegory by the author about men and women and sexual dominance, but considering this shit has never HAD strong opinions of women aside from their culinary ability, I don't know if I should bother.  We all know what this crap is by this point.  If something bothers you NOW, you haven't been paying attention and should have stopped watching ages ago.

Anyway, cognac is not that strong a flavoring, and, really, a lot of alcohols are aged in wooden casks, and they all absorb the flavor of the wood.  That's part of the point of brewing them in kegs in the first place.  Why cognac?  Because it's French?  I imagine whiskey would have done the same thing.  Truth of the matter is, alcohol flavoring from wood is extremely subtle, and there's no way it would overwhelm or even be on par with the spices going into a curry dish.  I doubt most palettes would even notice it.  You'll see cognac used in making sauces and desserts, because there the liquor itself can come through rather easily versus sugars and other complex carbohydrates, but spices are a different animal.  Meh, I know there's an expert chef doing the legwork on these recipes, so I wont question them, but I just don't buy it.

I'm also trying to figure out how something with poached eggs and cheese in it isn't heavy.  Some serious magical bullshit going on around here.

Offline Gadget

« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2015, 01:04:58 AM »
23:
I see we're back to being retarded with the food reactions.
I don't understand why they have to be naked. I can understand they are taking liberties with drama, but being naked? Is this the current trent to push to edge of what is decent with all the semi-hentai stuff going on.

Why cognac?  Because it's French?  I imagine whiskey would have done the same thing.  Truth of the matter is, alcohol flavoring from wood is extremely subtle, and there's no way it would overwhelm or even be on par with the spices going into a curry dish.  I doubt most palettes would even notice it.

French is sexier than Scottish. So far, no Hagglers. Most spices will try to enhance the flavors of the main dish. But in curry, it IS the main flavor, and the meat or veg will enhance the curry. That's why use a bit of spices and herds in normal cooking. And cognac may not be strong enough. What I think is that the author modified brandied seafood with cream. And throw in curry to make it interesting. And sucking on lobster head is painful, I only suck on prawn head. But not too much. The cholesterol is ridiculously high.

I'm also trying to figure out how something with poached eggs and cheese in it isn't heavy.  Some serious magical bullshit going on around here.

I think it's the slightly tart and acidic of the cumin in the noodles. Having food slightly sour is a well known way of balancing heavy or oily food.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2015, 10:51:38 PM »
24 (Final):

Obviously this isn't an ending of anything other than the current arc, and with no announcement (that I have seen yet) of future seasons, I would guess we're done here in a bit of a let down.  Final episode was just more of the same, so I wont bother critiquing it.

I will admit that somewhere along the line this stupid show actually got my interest.  I'm not sure exactly where it happened, but I started to enjoy the culinary bullshit and the interesting recipes and techniques used.  There's a science to everything they show, which I appreciate on an intellectual level.  Of course, that's also dashed by the ultra stupid reactions to the food, which runs a gauntlet between normality and holy****ingshitwhatiswrongwithyoupeople scenes.  I don't find them clever in any way at all, and fail to see what the point of them is except for the animators to go bonkers on fanservicy shit and some bizarre surrealism.  Don't get me wrong, I LIKE surrealism, but it isn't that surreal when you know that the only thing they're ever being surreal about is orgasms, especially the female variety.

Anyway, it was a fun ride.  I still hate most of the characters for being boring and of a singular dimension, and the show just loves slopping a whole slew of new bodies in when necessary, meaning that every character is specifically designed to serve one purpose then be cut out of the picture.  Those that stick around end up being important or just members of Souma's growing harem.  Thankfully, both of these things are rare.  This isn't completely obnoxious in most tropish ways, but it has its moments, which ends up sinking some of the fun down the tubes to eye rolling.

Still, fun is fun, and fun is the most important thing, dammit, so I can't give this a shitty grade.  But I won't give it a great one either.

6/10.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2016, 06:29:54 PM »
25:
Souma returns without a single beat missed. I'm aware this episode adapted a lot but I thought it was perfectly paced.

Offline Zeitgeist

• DrunkenZeitgeist's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2016, 06:49:46 PM »
Alice returns in all her glory.

Unlike Nikumi's loss in the Don themed match, this felt more natural. Rather than just shit cooking and overemphasizing a single ingredient, Alice fundamentally misunderstood the nature of Bentos. Which sure, I suppose Nikumi fundamentally misunderstood the nature of a Don, but this felt better. I can accept these elite student of this ultra-meritocratic school not knowing everything much easier than "Oh damn. I made the beef amazing but neglected the rice."...and yet, I suppose, in both cases, each combatant merely showcased their specialty/gimmick...never qualify an assertion or opinion.

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • samui26's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2016, 11:20:10 PM »

I like the sheer eartnestness of this series. The first ep. still has it. I am glad.
I am not sure if good animes are getting fewer these days or my taste has gone numb because most of what I watch recently look the same.

Oh, another shameless plug. Here's my blog: http://samui26.wordpress.com
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  All   Go Up