Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 14, 2017, 11:57:35 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yuki Yuna wa Yusha de Aru!  (Read 5339 times)

Offline Mori

• Certified Escapist

Re: Yuki Yuna wa Yusha de Aru!
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2014, 06:53:32 PM »
10-12:

These last three episodes have indeed been amazing. This is where the series' resemblance to Madoka becomes truly apparent, given that the themes parallel each other pretty well.

Similarly, we have heroes faced with the futility of their struggle who are then given a choice: to give up their ideals or to continue fighting despite, or even because of, how meaningless it all seems. It's a choice between looking at the future with apathy or with hope, represented by Togo's and Yuna's positions respectively. And it just about fits that the resolution isn't based on any kind of certainty, but a kind of desperate, irrational faith (though what faith isn't irrational?).

If there's anything I didn't like about these three episodes, it's that the overall resolution was much too convenient. It's as if Taisha just stopped caring after that final battle. Of course, the implication is that the battle still continues, but there's no clear reason for them being relieved of their role without explanation, especially when much of the climax is spent coming to terms with the nature of the world.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2014, 07:04:08 PM »
Yeah, that did seem like kind of a weak ending.  I didn't really want bleak and destructive either, but we basically get a reset button for everything the girls did, so there weren't any consequences whatsoever.  Granted, the consequences that existed in the first place were retarded and cruel, seeing as how the God in question is using these girls to protect itself and what is left of humanity, I find it odd that it would require massive sacrifices on their part in order to use some of its power in which to help protect itself and what is left of humanity.  It seems a little silly for the system to be in place to effectively PUNISH the girls for doing a good job.

However, what also makes this work is how little we know about the God and the Taisha that support it.  We don't know WHY the God demands sacrifices for the mankai powers.  Perhaps it is simply necessary.  A fuel or a catalyst for not only that power, but the creation of a faerie to aid the girls in doing their job.  It still doesn't quite make sense that the God can simply give BACK what was sacrificed, but he hasn't done so in the past for any of the other girls who came before our heroes.  You'd think that, if Yuki Yuna can somehow convince the God to fire her and her friends from active duty, that the God would have instituted some kind of retirement plan to begin with.  I mean, the girls who are crippled, or at least the one we saw, had a shit ton of faeries and wasn't really on active duty anymore, so why was she still crippled?  Why not just call back the faeries and restore her condition?

It is this cruelty that seems to make the least sense, but that is because we don't know the relationship between the God, the Taisha, and the rest of humanity.  Maybe the God doesn't really WANT to protect these people.  Maybe it is only doing so because it has an agreement with the Taisha to take girl body parts when it gets hungry.  Maybe this God is a ****ing monster, but it was the only thing between life and obliteration at the hands of whatever the hell is going on outside the barrier.  Who knows.  All we know is what we know, and that leaves a lot of questions unanswered.  Certainly, the story of Yuna and her friends is done, but the battles aren't over, and someone else is going to have to pick up the slack.  I wonder, then, what will Yuna and everybody do knowing what they know.  Will the Taisha just leave them alone, considering how many secrets they have regarding the world everybody lives in?  Maybe we'll get a fanservice OAV that'll explain everything.  Maybe.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Mori

• Certified Escapist

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2014, 07:34:16 PM »
I always just saw it as some sort of eternal stalemate between Shinju and the Vertexes. Shinju selects suitable warriors who then literally sacrifice their entire selves for just a little bit more power to stop the advances of the Vertexes, and when they're all spent, more warriors fill in the gaps, ad infinitum. This makes more sense once we learn that Taisha trains and conditions its own warriors for this very purpose. It's all very utilitarian, but it made a lot of sense for me until that ending. The ending with all the sacrifices becoming null really screws up everything I thought I knew about the system, and it somewhat weakens the point of the entire confrontation between Togo and Yuna in the end.

For now, this seems like a bit of a cop out for me, especially for what I thought to be a relatively good story.

Offline SQA

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2015, 05:25:14 AM »
I liked the setup better when it was called Mortal Kombat.

Just saying. :)

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2015, 01:54:08 AM »
To be honest, I really liked the ending because it didn't have the consequences that you guys think were so important. It actually highlights a key difference between this show and Madoka, that the girls in the show are not really getting anything out of this terrible bargain. At least in Madoka the girls got something (a wish) out of the deal, and thus still need to pay the price even after Madoka changes the sysyem. Here, they literally get nothing, so why should they have to pay? Considering that most of the girls didn't even have a choice whether they wanted to participate before being sent into battle, they should get off scot free. Not sure why they let them off easily after they tried to destroy the world, though, but Taisha in general seems to be a benevolent organization overall.

As for screwing up the system in place, I agree with TIF that it works only because we know so little about Taisha, the God, and the nature of their powers. Considering that Taisha was actually telling the truth (intentionally or not, I have no idea) about them recovering from their health problems, it raises a lot of questions about how much information that the show presents can be taken at face value. For example, my take on the Faeries were that they were the manifestations of the power (health problem) that were taken away after they use Manzai. If that were the case, if the Faery were to return to the user's body, it would eventually fix their health problems. As for TIF's point about why they didn't give back the completely crippled girl's body if they weren't going to use her, the implication was they still needed her if the main party failed. I'm not sure if that is exactly the case, but the series is ambiguous enough that I can make an educated guess.

One more point of speculation, is there actually a God in this series? The fact that the God gives power through cellphones makes me a little hesitant to believe it isn't actually man-made, which would explain why Taisha is able to control it and take the powers away. The fact that this series is thought-provoking in the first place makes me think this was one of the best shows this year. Color me impressed.
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2017, 12:18:19 AM »
Sumi Washio no Shou 1:

TV adaptation of the films that act as a prequel of sorts to show us what happened to Togo, the ultra crippled loli with a cult, and the third member who had been mentioned by name but never shown.  I guess this is supposed to answer a few of our questions about the mankai system, Shinjyu-sama, and Taisho, maybe.  I don't now.  But hot damn did Togo still have some stonkin' great tits back in 6th grade.  Her henshin sequence is almost as vulgar as her older incarnation.  She's not alone either, I think these henshin sequences have just gotten more and more lewd.

As usual, the Vertex is an interesting and unique construct that someone in the writing department apparently has ****ing fun making, because boy howdy these things are weird and creative.  As the starter episode, we're essentially right back where Yuki Yuna started from, but the audience now knows better, and since this is a prequel, we know tragedy is coming.  They're sure greasing up that ball by giving us this sappy friendship story, though.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2017, 10:26:27 PM »
Sumi Washio no Shou 3:

I'm only mentioning this one because the entire episode was omake filler stuff, and for some reason Sumi is the buttmonkey of this show.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2017, 11:31:54 PM »
4:

And here comes the darkness.  Not that this isn't something you shouldn't already know since it was mentioned in the original show as happening, and what led to the creation of the mankai system.  So, keep watching.  We've got two episodes of backstory left to go before we start the real Yuki Yuna sequel with episode 7.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2017, 07:10:21 PM »
5:

Okay, that got me.  I generally don't react to character deaths in most shows because, more often than not, death is a quick and / or unseen thing, and nobody really gets any closure, because you rarely are shown it.  In this episode, they devoted the first half to the funeral and passing of Minowa, and it was God damned tragic.  Seeing the family members talking, reacting in various ways, and the little brother finally losing it.  Then we actually get to see her, resting, at peace, in her coffin.  That's when it hit me.  There is something very... real... about watching someone laying there, motionless, without any life inside of them.  In those moments, you can easily relate to a moment of your own when you had to say goodbye in such a fashion.  Funerals are for the living, not for the dead.  The dead are gone, and so what is left is to allow the living to mourn, to say goodbye, and to move on.  When Sumi was "allowed" to be the first one to lay the flower on Gin's deceased body, I lost it.  That was way too rough to deal with.

I don't even care that much about these characters.  I know Sumi from the first series, of course, but the other two I have only gotten to know here.  It really isn't the fact that Gin herself was dead that got me, but the waves of emotions delivered by the characters strongly through effective animation, swelling powerful music, the bright lights, and even the background sniffing of mourning audience members... it was all too real.  Way too real.

I don't get emotional at anime most of the time.  This one got me.  Good job.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2017, 03:23:44 AM »
6:

Yeesh.  I mean, I know we as the audience know that the mankai system is a broken, horrible thing that destroys the lives of little girls, but there was zero buildup to the system being horrible.  I know we covered that already in the first series, but we go in one battle to Sumi turning into Togo because she loses her memories and legs that quickly, and Sonoko becomes the living corpse we see her later in the span of seconds.  Maybe they refined the system after that.  I don't know.  All I know is holy shit did that escalate quickly.  Almost like they were running out of time and had to get to the new seas... ahhh ha ha ha.

Anyway, second half is the real second season of Yuki Yuna is a Hero, so if you've been waiting for this point, episode 7 is where it starts.  C'mon down.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2017, 02:45:23 AM »
7:

Recap episode, with Togo narrating for us, in case you forgot anything that happened to these girls in the first series.

8:

Begins the real second story of Yuki Yuna wa Yusha de Aru, and it had me going for a bit until the end.  So Taisha is up to their usual ****ery, huh?  I know these guys exist to serve Shinjuu-sama and try to keep what remains of their world alive, but sometimes they just pull some gnarly ass shit with little girls and give it about as much consideration as Ted Bundy.  The suffering will never end!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up