Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

January 21, 2018, 11:07:22 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crunchyroll and Funimation announce streaming partnership  (Read 728 times)

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

Crunchyroll and Funimation announce streaming partnership
« on: September 08, 2016, 10:29:17 PM »
The announcement popped up a few hours ago.  It looks like a big deal.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n8TkejCo80

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2016/09/08/funimation-crunchyroll-working-together-to-bring-you-more

Crunchy's FAQ about the partnership.  Funi's FAQ.

Quote from: Crunchyroll FAQ about the partnership
In general, youíll get subbed anime from Crunchyroll and dubbed anime from FunimationNow.

The bottom line is that Cruncy is getting access to Funi's simulcast subs, while Funi is getting the right to dub Crunchy's subs.    (This is probably an oversimplification.)   See the above refs for the nitty gritty details. 

So far there are no signs of any merger talk.

Nothing on ANN yet.   Edit:  ANN news article.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 10:43:53 PM by HuuskerDu »
HuuskerDu at FanFiction.net.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Re: Crunchyroll and Funimation announce streaming partnership
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 03:52:14 AM »
Fascinating.  I've had memberships to both of them for years now, and this seems to be a rather unusual, but interesting, partnership between two companies that were sort of rivals.  I also wonder if this will inevitably lead to some kind of merger.

In any event, Crunchyroll was never about distribution domestically, they're all streaming all the time.  FUNimation streams, too, but focuses more on the distributions of anime Blu-rays and DVDs.  While I haven't been a big partaker of the simul-dubs FUNi has done, I might try a few just for kicks.  I've never been an anti-dub guy, though I've gotten away from them in recent years because of the more immediate availability of the subtitled version of anything.

Will be waiting to see what falls out of this and whether it works at all.  I imagine FUNi will be losing a large section of streaming users who only care about the subs, but they might grab more in the home video market and / or those who really like dubbed anime.  Increased volume of seasonal options from Crunchyroll will tax their already taxed subtitling teams even more, though.  They used to be quite solid, but lately they've been getting really sloppy on some of their subs.  Not that most of the internet who uses HorribleSubs cares anyway, but such is life.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 09:48:20 AM »
It's a win-win for both companies. I really wonder what's going to happen with Sentai in all this,since most of their licenses have come from Crunchyroll.
"No matter how wonderful everything in your movie may be, if your script sucks ass, your movie will suck ass."

"No matter how good a film is, it will always be bad. It will always be hated because it didn't live up to the incredibly high expectations." -

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 06:54:09 PM »
Sentai has their own agreements for regional distribution made with the Japanese companies.  I don't know if Crunchyroll has ever sold the distribution rights to Sentai before or if they ever had them in the first place.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 01:49:10 PM »
So now we have VRV, which is bundling Crunchy/Funi and some other geek-related content (e.g., RWBY), for $9.99/mo. VRV is owned by Ellation, which owns crunchy and is owned by AT&T. VRV is aimed at the geek niche market.

Meanwhile Amazon has scooped up US exclusives on Scum's Wish, The Great Passage, and Onihei, etc in the Amazon Prime Video service, which is part of their $99/yr Amazon Prime free shipping deal.  But a few weeks ago they turned around and slapped on an extra $4.99/mo surcharge for anime under the moniker Amazon Strike, which is a new premium channel subscription.  So now you have to pay $99/yr+4.99/mo = $13.24/mo to see the Amazon-exclusive anime content.  Phooey.

Both of these developments are huge steps backwards in terms of making anime more available to broader audiences.  Previously the advantage of Amazon Prime was that a lot of people have it for free shipping, and oh.. looky here what's all this stuff? Cartoons maybe? Maybe I should check it out?  But now it's all been ghetto-ized under Amazon Strike.  VRV is explicitly for geeks/gamers.  Hulu has dumped most of their anime back catalog, and so it looks like the only major streaming service left that is making an effort to make anime available to general audiences is Netflix.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 12:46:08 PM »
Amazon today announced that Anime Strike is shutting down.

Also today Anime Now! announced it is shutting down as well.

Meanwhile ANN is literally begging for contributions to continue operations.  Funi isn't doing well either (sold out to Sony) with their simuldub partnership with Crunchy.

Are these signs of a bubble starting to burst?

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 05:06:32 PM »
It was always an artificial one.  I was never sure why Amazon wanted to get into anime streaming, but annoyingly it seemed like they constantly got titles I wanted.  Putting it behind a double-pay wall was never going to work.  Nobody wanted to pay for Amazon Prime and THEN another fee for Strike.  We did because we wanted to watch that stuff.  It seemed like they partnered mostly with Sentai Filmworks, so maybe there was something there that was too expensive for them to handle.  As for FUNimation, they've been in trouble for a while now.  The partnership with Crunchyroll was a desire to corner a market to themselves, because competing wasn't working.  I think Crunchyroll is fine and always has been and Netflix continues to tip a toe into this stuff, so no.  I think there were just too many services for the bubble to handle.  An ignored part of a lot of this is that Hulu also streams a lot of FUNimation's stuff, so that partnership might dry up as well.

We also can't ignore the impact of piracy.  I realize that pirates are the most annoying ****ers to talk to about this, because they don't see what they do as stealing, but Horriblesubs constantly rips and torrents every show from every streaming service and gives it out for free to thousands of people.  The fansubbing community was never as big an impact because they mostly stuck to their own pet projects and rarely did things in such high volumes, but HS isn't doing anything itself.  It is literally leaching off of the work of others to intentionally screw over streaming services because Heaven forbid you have to PAY to watch anime!  Oh my god!

We're talking volume numbers, here.  Pirates love to say "well, if we couldn't get it for free, we wouldn't watch it", but that's bullshit and they know it.  These same ****ers love to complain about the quality of the product, despite not paying for shit.  Piracy does not help industries, despite what everyone of these choads thinks.  There is a reason why IP holding institutions try to crush piracy when they can.  It costs them money, but the pirates don't care, and when the industry eventually dries up because nobody is paying for anything, they just shrug their shoulders and act like they had no part in it.  This gets even more obnoxious when these same smug assholes act elitist towards streamers.  It is a toxic and repugnant environment now to engage with anybody over piracy, because the pirates don't see the forest for the trees.

Also today Anime Now! announced it is shutting down as well.

Well, since we're on the subject, Sorrow-kun had some interesting things to say about the nature of aniblogs and the change in online consumer culture and, more importantly, money.  It is down in the administrator section, but if he wants, he can repost some of his thoughts up here.  In a nutshell, though, Youtubers and podcasters are making shittons of money because that's what internet goers want, and the aniblog is a dying model that nobody wants anymore.

*EDIT*

I just checked, and apparently Amazon isn't getting out of anime streaming, they're just shutting down Anime Strike and including the anime streaming as part of the regular Amazon Prime service.  Basically they killed the double-pay wall.  I think this has more to do with how unpopular the extra fee was, not that Amazon isn't making money off it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 05:15:02 PM by TypicalIdiotFan »
Pages: [1]   Go Up