Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

January 22, 2018, 10:48:44 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yuki Yuna wa Yusha de Aru!  (Read 5738 times)

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Yuki Yuna wa Yusha de Aru!
« on: October 18, 2014, 11:38:39 AM »
1-2:

Not sure exactly where this falls on the sliding scale of magical girl anime dramatics, but the first two episodes have mostly played it straight with gorgeous visuals and a short, but pronounced cast of characters.  There are already obvious setups for angst, mostly coming from our crippled Togo girl (though her transformed self is an inspirational homage to Doctor Octopus), and the links between her disability and the timing of the first battle Fu participated in (which was bolstered by the "damage" done to the real world should the magical fighting area be corrupted or damaged too hard).

Otherwise, though, I'm just waiting to see where this goes.  There is already the oddity of them being selected for more than one fight so quickly, and the nature of the beings attacking Shinju-sama, whatever that is.  The opposing foes are neat looking and somewhat unique in their designs and attacks, and teamwork seems to be a requirement.  We'll see where this goes.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Re: Yuki Yuna wa Yusha de Aru!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 04:44:52 PM »
3:

I've seen serious characters before, and I've seen dedicated characters before, but I don't think I've ever seen the serious and dedicated character be such a damn tsundere to everyone for everything ever.  I wanted to strangle her by the end of this episode.  Jesus Christ.

Also, we've already dealt with several of the Vertex's, yet they're talking about level ups?  Unless they start handwaving that shit for whenever they want, I assume that there are either more enemies than we think, or the shit is going to go full battle royale later.

Offline Mori

• Certified Escapist

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 05:51:41 AM »
My thoughts:

I was not a fan of having a new character hijack the entire episode without any actual warning, but I suppose transfer students aren't exactly new in this genre.

Also, these sorts of episodes where nothing important happens compromise my capacity to take this show seriously. Well, if it just wants to be about cute high school girl friendships with magical girl elements, I could enjoy it for that. However, if it wants to go up a level, stuff needs to happen soon.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 12:55:17 AM »
4:

I always find characters who can't sing hilarious, and I don't know why.  I think it is just the massively over-the-top way it is presented that does it.  Like, we know these seiyuu can actually sing rather well, because that seems to be one of the requirements to be one in the first place (THIS IS NOT UNIVERSALLY TRUE), and so when they're called upon to play a "terrible singer", they just go nuts.  Almost like what they think terrible singers sound like, or maybe what they hear other people sound like because they already sing so good.  I dunno.  It's still funny to me.

Also, death flags everywhere.

Offline Mori

• Certified Escapist

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 07:11:45 PM »
5:

... Okay, what happens now?

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 03:11:35 PM »
We find out that the girls turn into the Vertexes.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 06:50:33 PM »
6-7:

Episode 6 was definitely the respite for our heroes.  We did learn that there are drastic consequences heretofore not known about the BANKAI er MANKAI system, but overall you could tolerate a little fly in the ointment so long as the job was completed.  I was actually expecting 7's post credit ending to happen at the end of 6, because that's usually how it goes.  The characters think their job is over, figure out a way to live normally after such an ordeal, and then blammo, the swerve hits.  In this case, they got a good almost 2 episodes of relaxation in before fate decided to start ****ing with them again, so that's unique.  I knew it was coming, but at the same time, if they'd have actually ended the girls' ordeals back after episode 5, I would have both loved it for the originality of not doing the obvious predictable move of keeping the plot going and hated it for being a half a season's worth of waste of time.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 05:45:44 PM »
8:

And there it is, the big reveal that had already been speculated at but now thrown right in their faces to deal with.  The horror of being a magical girl in this universe, is to become a quadriplegic cyclops with a cult of followers.  So there's SOME upside at least.

Online SQA

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 10:51:57 PM »
8:

And there it is, the big reveal that had already been speculated at but now thrown right in their faces to deal with.  The horror of being a magical girl in this universe, is to become a quadriplegic cyclops with a cult of followers.  So there's SOME upside at least.

How far have Magical Girls, as a genre, fallen when having a cult is the best possible outcome?  Henshin scenes are dark, man.  I tell you.

Offline Mori

• Certified Escapist

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 02:34:13 PM »
8:

I am okay with this reveal since it places everything we've been given so far into perspective. This is turning into a story about adolescence, though it's still a fairly depressing take on the idea. Those boring slice-of life episodes we had to wade through are suddenly valuable now that we know that they won't having those experiences again.

In any case, I am now curious regarding Togo's story before she entered the club.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 05:42:47 PM by Mori »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 01:35:53 AM »
9:

This was your best episode of the week, APR folks.  That was amazing.

Offline Mori

• Certified Escapist

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2014, 03:11:00 AM »
9:

So Taisha's approach to keeping them in the dark is to feign ignorance. Seriously? Even without someone revealing everything beforehand, it's difficult to image how long such a smokescreen will last before people start asking questions. It's also curious how they even managed to rope Fuu into this bizarre conspiracy in the first place, but then this is an alternate world that revolves around some deity (or bureaucracy) called Taisha, so their "common sense" might differ.

What bothered me most in the episode, which the characters themselves didn't draw too much attention on, is that Togo tried to kill herself several times since the reveal. It's a serious response you would expect from the situation, but then the story brushes that aside to focus on the faeries instead.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 11:32:49 PM »
I kept thinking about that, and I came to the conclusion that it was purely scientific on her part.  She already had that conversation with the cripple, so she, like Yuna, knew more than anybody what kinds of stakes they were dealing with.  I don't think she was ever deliberately trying to end her life, but the Faeries don't know that.  Still, you had to actually make it look legit enough to try it.  I seriously doubt she would have actually killed herself, but risking serious injury to prove the theory was probably worth it in her mind.  I mean, she's already disabled, how much worse could she make herself?

It is also possible that the first attempt was an accident.  Considering her disability, it is easy to see that maybe she got into a bad situation and the Faeries bailed her out.  Upon witnessing it, maybe she decided to see how far down the rabbit hole went.  She didn't seem suicidal to me, nor did she seem as such to the other girls.  It was all academic.

Offline Mori

• Certified Escapist

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 03:52:49 PM »
^ That would be the most reasonable way of looking at it given all we know about the characters, but it did strike me as something of an off moment. Suicide attempts aren't just things you casually reveal after all.

At this point, now that they've reached a stage of acceptance, I'm just waiting for the silver lining. Their lives are already pretty much ruined to be sure, but they really deserve some scrap of consolation for everything they're going through... Or maybe it's too early to say they've accepted it since Togo, who happens to have lost more to the system than the rest of them combined, wasn't present anywhere in that last scene. But that's just wild speculation, I suppose.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 05:59:21 PM »
11:

This second half has been ****ing amazing, and we're heading into tragedy and suffering with aplomb here.  Amongst the characters, it is easy to see Togo as a fatalist antagonist, but she has her justification and rationalization, even if you don't agree with it.  In this way, neither side in this conflict amongst our heroes is a villain, per se, but there is such a thing as idealistic inequality.

If anything, both sides can agree that the world is pretty screwed up as is, but neither side has a realistic or agreeable approach to fixing the problem.  Togo's option is to just nuke the world and end it all; a mercy killing for what she sees as a never-ending cycle of suffering.  The others' only want to maintain the status quo because they don't like the idea of dying, but they don't have an alternative to fix the problem.

Yet.  I imagine Yuki Yuna is going to come up with something, and we'll see what kind of miracle that this show has in store for us.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up