Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 19, 2017, 11:14:09 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV)  (Read 69533 times)

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV)
« on: October 04, 2014, 01:12:49 PM »

Episode 0

It seems that Ufotable wants to adapt the Visual Novel in its entirety.  This episode spends 47 minutes going over the prologue of FS/N.  The only scene I can recall that's missing is the dialogue at the park where the last grail exploded killing countless innocents (or did this come later on?).  Regardless, unlike the introduction to Fate/Zero there actually are fight scenes to kick up the pace.  So long as the show doesn't run out of money, it should be quite a ride.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline Flash Sword Irene

• Gundamtastic Orgasm
  • Beast of Possibility

Re: Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 01:22:27 PM »
Episode 0: Prologue

Quite the different intro from F/Z where the prequel gave us some insight on the different masters.  This time, they focus and establish the relationship between and Archer whose identity we all probably know by now a long time ago.  The amount of personality and schtick was quite welcoming and enjoyable.  Not to mention, the Archer/Lancer fight was pretty good and I got hyped when it looked like Lancer was about to use Gae Bolg. Overall, great job by Ufotable and I have faith in this being just as good (if not better) then F/Z.  Next episode will give us that famous scene where Shirou summons Saber which will be awesome.

Offline KS

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 01:45:11 PM »
Well it didn't redefine my very existence as an anime fan like the ad campaign seemed to imply it would but that was a pretty lively one hour premiere following on the footsteps of Gundam.  I was expecting something a lot more grimdark, stiff, gloomy and ultra serious in tone but that wasn't really the case.  It never really felt like the show was trying to invoke moods or ideas other than what was appropriate for the kinds of scenes that were on display or tilting overtly in one direction on the moral compass towards lawful evil like it always felt Fate/Zero was trying to voice it's approval of as the strongest possible alignment and set of beliefs for fantasy characters.  Rin to me was the biggest surprise not being all ice cold and stiff but more just sort of seemingly being in the grail war for the fun of it to start before she realizes that it's having some nasty side effects on people from her school and putting innocent bystanders in danger.  I can see why people call her a classical tsundere from this premiere just based on her relative lack of maturity but still trying to play it up like she's all kinds of ready to get going.

What a far cry from the stiff, stoic "the ends justify the means" and "I am a man that knows no joy" approach of Kiritsugu and Kotomine from Zero and how they started off where it felt like Kiritsugu who is supposed to be the hero of the story the viewer is meant to identify with wouldn't even think to save an innocent bystander in mortal danger even if he could and just blow right through them in his own right if it meant he could achieve his goals which somehow apparently revolved around world peace a few minutes faster.  Like to me that whole energy siphoning thing that Rin was put off by is exactly the kind of plan that Kiritsugu would have come up with so to see her not be okay with that to start is generally an encouraging sign cause really who in there right mind would be at that age.

Offline thanosmat

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 03:54:20 PM »
What a far cry from the stiff, stoic "the ends justify the means" and "I am a man that knows no joy" approach of Kiritsugu and Kotomine from Zero and how they started off where it felt like Kiritsugu who is supposed to be the hero of the story the viewer is meant to identify ....

In Fate/Zero Kiritsugu is never the character who the viewer/reader is meant to identify with. Nobody was in fact.

Fate/Zero was written as a companion piece to Fate/Stay Night, but different in mood and tone (Originally meant to be read after). In Fate/Stay Night Shirou is the caracter who we are supposed to identify, the narration is in first person. The narrative in Fate/Zero is in third person for the most part, distant and cold, purposely to make a contrast with Fate/Stay Night. The contrast is used to set the different mood of that story.

Offline MCAL

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 06:20:22 PM »
Episode 0:
After all these years a proper adaption of the best route in F/SN is finally here. Nothing really to complain here. They did take out exposition but since most of it is repeated again, it doesn't really matter. They did cut out the scene in the park, but it seems only for the TV version.

And Rin still is best girl.

Offline Redgrave

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 06:46:05 PM »
0:

Archer is so GAR and Rin's nose looks weird. Lancer's expressions was spot on too.

More serious things aside,This is a much more enjoyable first episode than Fate/Zero and the difference between the tone of the two works clearly shows here. The animation, as always ufotable delivers. The talking is much more visually entertaining than F/Z's stiff talking heads though i hope the budget and the animation will be at least consistent till episode 12. The Lancer and Archer fight was visually stunning and got my blood pumping and did i just seriously hear the Hans Zimmer inception deep notes during the fight?

This episode adapts the prologue and Rin's PoV. Next epiosde will be an another 47 minutes and this time, Emiya Shirou's PoV. Next saturday can't come sooner!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 07:41:21 PM by Redgrave »

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 12:57:53 AM »
0:

I need new pants. That is all.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 11:36:02 PM »
0:

/popcorn
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 06:07:13 PM »

And so F/SN begins in proper.  It seems that this adaptation is going to keep all the cooking scenes, the everyday school life scenes and the various internal expositions that builds the characters and world.  The thing that seems to be excised is the explanation of combat abilities, going for a "show not tell" approach.  The Lancer/Saber fight was exceptionally well realized and may have even topped the Lancer/Archer engagement.

Offline Redgrave

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 06:11:58 PM »
1: The OP and ED were good. I like action scenes in the OP and dat Kalafina ED!

So we get to see more insight about Shirou's Characterization than the previous one adaptation and i do hope that people will have a different perspective on this Shirou than the previous ones. As always the action between Saber and Lancer was good but i still think the Archer and Lancer was better personally. That Gae bolg scene was made more intense with the still frame and slow mo
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 07:18:59 PM by Redgrave »

Offline MCAL

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 06:40:57 PM »
1:
Once again the fight scenes were excellent. I really have no complaints about them and actually find them better then Fate/Zero.

The Opening and Ending were great too,though I liked the ending more.

Offline Flash Sword Irene

• Gundamtastic Orgasm
  • Beast of Possibility

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 12:54:01 AM »
Episode 1

It is nice to see a little more perspective between Kiritsugu and Shirou since we never got as much.  Not only that, it seems the "Tiger" got to show a little more of that famous personality as well.  The duel between Saber and Lancer kicked ass, especially once Gae Bolg was unleashed.  The series is off to a really good start and they should be able to keep the ball rolling.

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 05:54:11 PM »
0, 1:

You can see the effort bleeding out of every pore of this adaptation. Also Rin.

The more subtle nods to F/Z, like the faded magic circle thing in the shed, are much appreciated too; they elevate what would otherwise be a bit of a plodding episode. Hell, the whole of episode 1 is woven together quite delightfully.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2014, 07:58:23 AM »
I am going to engage in Rin fanboying throughout this whole series. It's funny that initially I didn't like her at all, but by god she's one of the best visual novel females there is.

Oh yeah and ufotable, always the lovely bunch they are. Now this is how you adapt a visual novel properly.

Offline Shadowmage

• Administrator

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2014, 11:12:32 AM »

So this is how they'll make the UBW arc 26 episodes.  Even though it's condensed from the visual novel, taking the entire episode to explain the Holy Grail war is kind of excessive.  The show could have pulled it off if the entire series had hour long episodes like 1 and 0, but the pacing suffers tremendously in the current format.  They even had Kotomine walk an entire rotation around his church to break up the tedium.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27   Go Up