Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 22, 2017, 03:03:11 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV)  (Read 69628 times)

Offline KS

Re: Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV)
« Reply #390 on: August 05, 2015, 05:38:19 PM »
12:  I'm actually not really sure why this episode needed to be an hour long other than it would make it an unprecedented thing for a cour of an anime to have 3 hour long episodes (though technically one of them was a TV special).  In particular I didn't really enjoy the first half with more of the core trio as much because it didn't seem to add anything new to the dynamic compared to the last episode, it was just kind of a date episode.  As kind of amusing as the idea of Saber with glasses on is I don't think much of anything in particular would have changed if they had just rolled with a half hour finale and the events of the second half.  Rin also seemed to be a bit more back to her comic relief self a bit this episode as well though that could just be the subject matter involved with the date episode.  The look of the show was also a little bit less like it's usual self as well, with lots more of the cost cutting techniques I've seen this series largely avoid up to this point like the old show still images of scenery or peoples feet to avoid having to animate the complexity of a persons mouth flap.  I had heard this is around the point that the show was starting to fall a little bit more behind schedule (leading eventually to the growing legend of God Eater) and no doubt the staff was grateful to be going into hiatus for a few months to try to catch up.  Hopefully  they didn't front load this show too much with all of these hour long episodes and early skirmishes and it doesn't end up affecting things later on in the second cour too much, though it'll still probably look above average.

Things pick up when Shirou has to confront Caster holding Taiga and where his ideals are put to a pretty big test.  Again I just cannot fathom how people would prefer a guy like Kiritsugu to Shirou here.  Kiritsugu put in the same situation I just figure would go so what to Taiga's situation and let her die or shoot the hostage or something like that and would possibly even grudgingly respect the underhanded play on some level, Shirou is basically like go **** yourself while everyone else is standing around looking helpless and pretty much says exactly the kinds of things that are on my mind as to why such an alliance would never work and why she's an evil bitch and just isn't having any of it.  He's not going to give up on things and is going to look for a way to save Taiga at that and while he's at it he's going to say how things really are and not brood about it either.  I think this guy knows more about what he's signed up for than he's let on before, in reality he might actually be the most committed of all of them.  I really appreciate this guys optimism and steadfast commitment to his beliefs and that there are always solutions beyond just sacrificing others in a straight line to your goal like virtually every other character in this franchise is always harping on about as the only way and which Zero seemed to really want the viewer to believe was the only way.  He's a real breath of fresh air as far as masters go.  What I don't get though about Caster are two things.  One is that it just seems rather convenient that she can proclaim herself untouchable to Saber (yet again saber being made to look weak when it really counts) because she's somehow siphoning all this power off of the cities inhabitants.  You people could at least you know give it a shot or come up with something, that's where Shirou seems to be heading with all of this.  Also this idea that she could summon the grail without needing to conclude the grail war using a certain amount of energy.  Where is this all coming from and why could nobody else have tried something similar in the past grail war or even right now if there's a workaround to it's supposed golden rule of there can be only one.  This franchise confuses me with this sudden revelations sometimes.  I guess we'll have to take her word on it that these are the new rules.

Caster's ability to just take over Saber seemingly permanently with just one stab of her Noble Phantasm is pretty ridiculous and seemingly overpowering, but then virtually every ability that doesn't belong to Saber feels this way.  Sometimes I wonder where they come up with some of these Noble Phantasm powers as some just seem entirely overpowering while others are just kind of meh powers.  Again other servant besides Saber and Rider (I remember hers being some sort of unicorn she could fly around on) seem utterly overpowering to me like Caster with her power siphoning from the city, rule breaker being able to steal saber, her being able to summon other servants and buff her master to the point where he can fight with Saber and knowledge of magic that apparently the overseers of the grail war are oblivious too, Berserker with his multiple lives and overwhelmingly strength and endurance, Archer and his draw literally any weapon and fire a super powered arrow across the entire city and Gilgamesh and his whole litany of BS.  By comparison Lancer with his unblockable but actually blockable attack, Rider and her unicorn, Assassin and his ??? (as far as I can tell this guy just sucks and never really does anything other than get pushed around by Caster or Gilgamesh depending on the route) and Saber and her current uselessness seem like afterthoughts, granted I know Saber has a DankuKogaKen and shield of invulnerability hidden away somewhere.  By the way the water effects looked kind of weird in this whole scene which is odd because the show gets a lot of practice working on CGI water effects with how nearly every scene involving windows has rain coming down on them.

For some reason I find Archer's comments to Rin after the fact kind of amusing.  He kind of has a point, what gave Rin the impression at all that he would be rooting for Saber considering how much of a fanboy he's been for Caster virtually this entire show so far and how much he's always been at odds with Saber and Shirou, there supposed allies.  Wonder when this guy is just going to get on with it and betray them lol, certain things about this show do at times feel a little drawn out and obvious, other times they completely blindside you of the blue, mostly when it comes to the rules of engagement in the grail war.  Again I think it's the matter of this episode really not needing to be an hour long, particularly with regard to the first scenes and the recaps Rin gives on Archers behavior.  It's sort of like...yeah I know, guys kind of a snake and anyone could tell where he stands by now, it kind of worries me that Rin just seems to be figuring it out and how casual she is about it.

Nothing in particular to say about the cast at Ryuudou temple other than to reaffirm my assertation that this series has some characters I like or find interesting/fun to watch (Shirou, Saber, Lancer, Rin, Shinji, Berserker and Archer who has grown on me a bit with his steadfast dedication to being a scheming douche albeit a partially conflicted one as it turns out) characters I'm indifferent too and find boring, one dimensional or just kind of under-explored (Illya, Assassin, Caster, Kuzuki, Rider, Sakura) and ones I loathe and who kill scenes for me really fast (Kotomine, Taiga, Gilgamesh and Kiritsugu) and it comes into play here.  What motley crew of bland and/or evil personalities, hopefully the second cour doesn't spend too much more time on them or they get better development than just scheming and evildoing.

Well I enjoyed this cour a lot more than I thought I would as I've said.  I'm not as madly in love with it as others not being of the VN reading persuasion typically but it makes for a good show if a little drawn out at times though not as much as it could be.  Overall I find it a vast improvement over even Fate/Zeros first cour.  Better animation quality, better characters, better pacing and story line flow, BETTER PROTAGONIST (huge) and just a hell of a lot easier to get into since it isn't hitting you up with all these factions and brooding pragmatist characters I have absolutely no context for.  No browbeating with idealogy, just presenting of it amidst all the other goings on since unlike Zero even as some parts feel drawn out there's always a sense moving forward and a sense of development as opposed to things largely moving around until it's time for every character I like to get ****ed over by every character I hate and unjustly and lamely so at that (boy was that a total buzzkill in that shows second cour, please don't do that UBW, I can ask that much of you right?).  I think I'm probably going to end up giving this an 8/10 and downgrading what Zero's first cour from an 8/10 to 7/10 and probably Zero's second half to a 6/10 since this really put a lot into perspective for me about the franchise.

By the way LiSA's rendition of the pretty good theme song Disillusion I liked a lot from Deen's fate route of the series is horrendous.  I've never liked her before and just find her to be a wailer who doesn't understand that louder isn't necessarily better (it would be okay at least if her power notes actually sounded good instead of just like the wailing of a banshee) that can really sing so much as just shriek through her songs and this does nothing at all to alleviate it, especially in comparison to Kenji Kawai's rendition of the song where the singer just...well sings it and it's quiet pleasant song.  I actually couldn't wait to turn it off the second the credits actually came up so yeah thanks LiSA for somehow managing to ruin a great song.  Ugh, I'm just praying that the deal with Sony Music Entertainment doesn't mean I'm going to have to listen to her for the new Gundam series or Garnidelia for that matter.  Please just be like anyone else in their stable, Galileo Galilei being my preference.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 07:06:40 PM by KS »

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #391 on: August 05, 2015, 05:42:51 PM »
...Oi, if this is an insinuation that you're looking for a book deal, I won't be won over.
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline KS

« Reply #392 on: August 05, 2015, 06:59:12 PM »
...Oi, if this is an insinuation that you're looking for a book deal, I won't be won over.

Yeah I don't know sometimes when I post the thoughts just come flowing out in a stream of conciousness thing and before I know it I have an essay.  That's just kind of how it goes I guess.  I'm aware it's a little errr...unusual.

Offline thanosmat

« Reply #393 on: August 06, 2015, 10:33:47 AM »
12:  I'm actually not really sure why this episode needed to be an hour long other than it would make it an unprecedented thing for a cour of an anime to have 3 hour long episodes (though technically one of them was a TV special).  In particular I didn't really enjoy the first half with more of the core trio as much because it didn't seem to add anything new to the dynamic compared to the last episode, it was just kind of a date episode.  As kind of amusing as the idea of Saber with glasses on is I don't think much of anything in particular would have changed if they had just rolled with a half hour finale and the events of the second half.  Rin also seemed to be a bit more back to her comic relief self a bit this episode as well though that could just be the subject matter involved with the date episode.  The look of the show was also a little bit less like it's usual self as well, with lots more of the cost cutting techniques I've seen this series largely avoid up to this point like the old show still images of scenery or peoples feet to avoid having to animate the complexity of a persons mouth flap.  I had heard this is around the point that the show was starting to fall a little bit more behind schedule (leading eventually to the growing legend of God Eater) and no doubt the staff was grateful to be going into hiatus for a few months to try to catch up.  Hopefully  they didn't front load this show too much with all of these hour long episodes and early skirmishes and it doesn't end up affecting things later on in the second cour too much, though it'll still probably look above average.

Things pick up when Shirou has to confront Caster holding Taiga and where his ideals are put to a pretty big test.  Again I just cannot fathom how people would prefer a guy like Kiritsugu to Shirou here.  Kiritsugu put in the same situation I just figure would go so what to Taiga's situation and let her die or shoot the hostage or something like that and would possibly even grudgingly respect the underhanded play on some level, Shirou is basically like go **** yourself while everyone else is standing around looking helpless and pretty much says exactly the kinds of things that are on my mind as to why such an alliance would never work and why she's an evil bitch and just isn't having any of it.  He's not going to give up on things and is going to look for a way to save Taiga at that and while he's at it he's going to say how things really are and not brood about it either.  I think this guy knows more about what he's signed up for than he's let on before, in reality he might actually be the most committed of all of them.  I really appreciate this guys optimism and steadfast commitment to his beliefs and that there are always solutions beyond just sacrificing others in a straight line to your goal like virtually every other character in this franchise is always harping on about as the only way and which Zero seemed to really want the viewer to believe was the only way.  He's a real breath of fresh air as far as masters go.  What I don't get though about Caster are two things.  One is that it just seems rather convenient that she can proclaim herself untouchable to Saber (yet again saber being made to look weak when it really counts) because she's somehow siphoning all this power off of the cities inhabitants.  You people could at least you know give it a shot or come up with something, that's where Shirou seems to be heading with all of this.  Also this idea that she could summon the grail without needing to conclude the grail war using a certain amount of energy.  Where is this all coming from and why could nobody else have tried something similar in the past grail war or even right now if there's a workaround to it's supposed golden rule of there can be only one.  This franchise confuses me with this sudden revelations sometimes.  I guess we'll have to take her word on it that these are the new rules.

Caster's ability to just take over Saber seemingly permanently with just one stab of her Noble Phantasm is pretty ridiculous and seemingly overpowering, but then virtually every ability that doesn't belong to Saber feels this way.  Sometimes I wonder where they come up with some of these Noble Phantasm powers as some just seem entirely overpowering while others are just kind of meh powers.  Again other servant besides Saber and Rider (I remember hers being some sort of unicorn she could fly around on) seem utterly overpowering to me like Caster with her power siphoning from the city, rule breaker being able to steal saber, her being able to summon other servants and buff her master to the point where he can fight with Saber and knowledge of magic that apparently the overseers of the grail war are oblivious too, Berserker with his multiple lives and overwhelmingly strength and endurance, Archer and his draw literally any weapon and fire a super powered arrow across the entire city and Gilgamesh and his whole litany of BS.  By comparison Lancer with his unblockable but actually blockable attack, Rider and her unicorn, Assassin and his ??? (as far as I can tell this guy just sucks and never really does anything other than get pushed around by Caster or Gilgamesh depending on the route) and Saber and her current uselessness seem like afterthoughts, granted I know Saber has a DankuKogaKen and shield of invulnerability hidden away somewhere.  By the way the water effects looked kind of weird in this whole scene which is odd because the show gets a lot of practice working on CGI water effects with how nearly every scene involving windows has rain coming down on them.

For some reason I find Archer's comments to Rin after the fact kind of amusing.  He kind of has a point, what gave Rin the impression at all that he would be rooting for Saber considering how much of a fanboy he's been for Caster virtually this entire show so far and how much he's always been at odds with Saber and Shirou, there supposed allies.  Wonder when this guy is just going to get on with it and betray them lol, certain things about this show do at times feel a little drawn out and obvious, other times they completely blindside you of the blue, mostly when it comes to the rules of engagement in the grail war.  Again I think it's the matter of this episode really not needing to be an hour long, particularly with regard to the first scenes and the recaps Rin gives on Archers behavior.  It's sort of like...yeah I know, guys kind of a snake and anyone could tell where he stands by now, it kind of worries me that Rin just seems to be figuring it out and how casual she is about it.

Nothing in particular to say about the cast at Ryuudou temple other than to reaffirm my assertation that this series has some characters I like or find interesting/fun to watch (Shirou, Saber, Lancer, Rin, Shinji, Berserker and Archer who has grown on me a bit with his steadfast dedication to being a scheming douche albeit a partially conflicted one as it turns out) characters I'm indifferent too and find boring, one dimensional or just kind of under-explored (Illya, Assassin, Caster, Kuzuki, Rider, Sakura) and ones I loathe and who kill scenes for me really fast (Kotomine, Taiga, Gilgamesh and Kiritsugu) and it comes into play here.  What motley crew of bland and/or evil personalities, hopefully the second cour doesn't spend too much more time on them or they get better development than just scheming and evildoing.

Well I enjoyed this cour a lot more than I thought I would as I've said.  I'm not as madly in love with it as others not being of the VN reading persuasion typically but it makes for a good show if a little drawn out at times though not as much as it could be.  Overall I find it a vast improvement over even Fate/Zeros first cour.  Better animation quality, better characters, better pacing and story line flow, BETTER PROTAGONIST (huge) and just a hell of a lot easier to get into since it isn't hitting you up with all these factions and brooding pragmatist characters I have absolutely no context for.  No browbeating with idealogy, just presenting of it amidst all the other goings on since unlike Zero even as some parts feel drawn out there's always a sense moving forward and a sense of development as opposed to things largely moving around until it's time for every character I like to get ****ed over by every character I hate and unjustly and lamely so at that (boy was that a total buzzkill in that shows second cour, please don't do that UBW, I can ask that much of you right?).  I think I'm probably going to end up giving this an 8/10 and downgrading what Zero's first cour from an 8/10 to 7/10 and probably Zero's second half to a 6/10 since this really put a lot into perspective for me about the franchise.

By the way LiSA's rendition of the pretty good theme song Disillusion I liked a lot from Deen's fate route of the series is horrendous.  I've never liked her before and just find her to be a wailer who doesn't understand that louder isn't necessarily better (it would be okay at least if her power notes actually sounded good instead of just like the wailing of a banshee) that can really sing so much as just shriek through her songs and this does nothing at all to alleviate it, especially in comparison to Kenji Kawai's rendition of the song where the singer just...well sings it and it's quiet pleasant song.  I actually couldn't wait to turn it off the second the credits actually came up so yeah thanks LiSA for somehow managing to ruin a great song.  Ugh, I'm just praying that the deal with Sony Music Entertainment doesn't mean I'm going to have to listen to her for the new Gundam series or Garnidelia for that matter.  Please just be like anyone else in their stable, Galileo Galilei being my preference.

The answer to most of your doubts are in the visual novel. The mechanics of magic and the status of the servants and their noble phantasms is something that anime does not explain satisfactorily. To explain them, the anime would have more infodumps than already have. I suppose in Japan, they expect fans to already know these fine details (and they do I think).
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]   Go Up