Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 24, 2017, 12:28:30 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV)  (Read 69717 times)

Offline Flash Sword Irene

• Gundamtastic Orgasm
  • Beast of Possibility

Re: Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV)
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2014, 12:51:07 PM »
Episode 2

Some people might complain about this episode after knowing the basics from F/Z.  Personally, I have no problem with it since we didn't even get this much from Studio Deen's adaptation.  It was a decent setup episode and the cliffhanger at the end was rewarding with Ilya and Berserker's appearance.  Next episode is going to be a lot of fun.  Also, it is nice to still see Kirei have a grudge against Kiritsugu too.

Offline thanosmat

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2014, 12:58:42 PM »
This episode is necessary. The holy grail exposition is hard to convey in another way, and cut information this crucial is a bad thing.

Offline Redgrave

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2014, 05:22:57 PM »
2:

Once Kirei was being encircled by Tokiomi and his father while talking exposition, now he is the one who does it to Shirou.

The time flies so fast that before i even knew that Berserker already appeared even though this is an exposition episode. Next episode is gonna be so action packed.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 05:31:43 PM by Redgrave »

Offline MCAL

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2014, 06:45:06 PM »
2:
To be honest I could have done without the more exaggerated reaction from Rin when lamenting she couldn't have Saber. Her reaction was much more subdued in the VN. Luckily it wasn't awful or anything, like I was fearing.

Other than that I have once again no complaints. Its a sign of good direction and pacing that a full exposition episode could last 10 minutes. And the very end (With that epic OST) was just icing on the cake. Next episode Fate fully diverges into UBW.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 07:11:18 PM by MCAL »

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2014, 07:59:10 PM »
Just have to chime in here that I hope the anime is done in such a manner that it can be a sufficient entry gate into the Fate universe for newer fans. I'm tired of having to tell people to read the VN first instead of watching DEEN/Stay night. The info dump was also done extremely well and Jouji Nakata's voice is as mesmerising as ever. Really loving Ufotable's work so far. My only real complaint is sometimes they animate too much exaggerated motion with the characters like MCAL pointed out. It's a minor one, but it can feel a little silly sometimes lol.

Offline Redgrave

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2014, 08:15:55 PM »
Ufotable are big Rin fanboys so they just had to make it like that to make it more moe  ;D

Offline MCAL

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2014, 08:28:27 PM »
Hey, I'm a big a Rin fanboy as they come ;D (She's basically the reason I like tsunderes in the first place), but a little restraint would serve Ufotable well.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2014, 09:57:37 PM »
Rin is great. Making a point of wagging her ass at the audience isn't.

Offline KS

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2014, 12:37:09 PM »
Fate this, Fate that, Rin this, Saber that, rinse repeat.  This season in a nutshell when it comes to internet discussion pretty much.  Good enough episode even if it focused a bit on one of my least favorite characters in the franchise (Kotomine comes off a little better here than in his other iterations though for sure), but man I'd be lying if I said I was as obsessed with this show and it's premise as everyone else seems to be and the constant exposure to and trumpeting of it everywhere I go is getting pretty exhausting.  Oi Vey I feel like I'm at comic book convention sometimes the way my casual interest in this franchise clashes with the hardcore level on which everyone else seems to approach it.  It's almost a little too much too take in in a way and getting a little tiring when every other show feels like it's constantly being compared to this one like the expectation is that this is the sole gold standard to live up to.  Also there's apparently right and wrong ways to watch and approach this franchise and I've been told I don't know how many times in the last week that I'm doing it wrong to the point where I'm more or less implying that people need to back the hell off already and just let me watch and comment on the damn show in my own way and if they don't like my approach to it then that's just kind of tough. 

It's kind of turned it into a bit of an ironic watch for me even as I kind of enjoy it (more than Fate/Zero for example), I mean when I think about it apparently the big show to "save anime" this year and, pardon the pun, the perceived holy grail and highest possible standard of TV anime series is a remake adaptation of a 10 year old visual novel.  Now this a medium I admit I don't have particularly that much respect for (way too otaku oriented for my tastes) and thus I see that as kind of a bad sign for where anime is at right now (at least as far as my tastes are concerned) and where it's probably heading even as I do see some good signs out there as well in what's coming up.  I just find myself asking is being beholden to a decade old otaku phenomenon and a story that's already been told several times now (and will be told again with the coming movies) really the best TV anime can aspire too?  Are original made for TV series just kind of doomed to die out and we're stuck with Visual Novels and Light Novels as the big source of entertainment and things to look forward to in this medium cause at least from my perspective that seems pretty shitty as an outlook.

Though considering I'm pretty much just in the last stages of finishing up my backlog before peacing out of participating in discussions (or as I've come to call it the people point out how I'm always wrong and have bad taste show) and watching anime for the year it's not like these questions are going to matter in the long run anyway.  That was the 3rd to last one, after this it's Bahamut then Space Dandy and that's the end of that for now.  :)  It's certainly been an interesting and very enlightening year for anime and how I perceive the culture of the hobby though I'll say that much, I feel like I've learned a lot, some things I'm glad to have, other things I'd really rather have not known or become aware of that kind of sicken me in a way.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 01:05:10 PM by KS »

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2014, 01:14:50 PM »
Info dumping, we meet again.

I do worry because that's kind of nasu's biggest weakness in writing fate that they'll infodump a little too often. Don't get me wrong some things are necessary to explain due to the complexity but I think they need to find more clever and entertaining ways then simply lecturuing the audience about the ins and outs on how something works for a good while.

As for Fate being hype, I think its simply because...it's one of the most popular visual novels that never got a proper adaption. You would probably hear similar hype to a proper Umineko adaption. Now is FSN going to save anime? No that's always an exaggeration. However I do believe it can be a fairly enjoyable show with nice visuals and good directing (hopefully) due to ufotable. There aren't too many dark shounens out there either, so its a nice mixup from the usual for fun ones. Basically its a nice substitute for HxH since that ended (though it won't be as good). But yeah fanboy screams are loud because they are.

For me, it's just nice when anime takes its time to care about the directing. I've noticed I've been more anal about that lately with anime and ones with shoddy directing I can't even enjoy.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2014, 01:37:17 PM »
What's wrong with info dumping? Togashi is king of that xD.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2014, 03:11:57 PM »
0-2:

I am simply not that excited. I will note that Rin seems to be a delightful character, but when I compare this to Fate/Zero, it is simply lacking in weight.
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2014, 04:22:21 PM »
Also there's apparently right and wrong ways to watch and approach this franchise and I've been told I don't know how many times in the last week that I'm doing it wrong

That's true of about any franchise, to a degree. "Right" and "wrong" are admittedly very loaded terms, but there are ways of approaching franchises that will result in varying degrees of enjoyment. There's very certainly ways you can ruin a potentially enjoyable show for yourself, as well as ways you can enjoy a show you would otherwise dislike (or initially did). I'd cite the cliched examples of approaching romcoms looking for 'splosions, soft-fantasy looking for magic systems, or scifi looking for actual science, but it underplays the very real question of where to draw the line between 'what I should do for the show' and 'what the show should do for me'.

There's no solid answer to this as far as I can see. Saying that the audience should "work" to enjoy shows has always been an unpopular solution and critics like to rail at how this translates into blindly loving everything1; saying that the show should "cater to my tastes" risks narrow-mindedness and is unworkable for creators, which means that the audience as a whole yields no constructive criticism (since it just throws a flood of contradicting demands at creators); and trying to draw out some middle-ground often means that people just pick one extreme in practice, the only difference being that they keep up pretenses of moderation. Let's also not forget the generally unresolved tussles over where to draw the line between the two.

1(NO IT DOESN'T)

Offline Redgrave

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2014, 05:09:59 PM »
Info dumping, we meet again.

I do worry because that's kind of nasu's biggest weakness in writing fate that they'll infodump a little too often. Don't get me wrong some things are necessary to explain due to the complexity but I think they need to find more clever and entertaining ways then simply lecturuing the audience about the ins and outs on how something works for a good while.

And ufotable's solution for that(somehow) is Kirei walking in circle to Shirou and Rin.

Really, there is nothing much you can do about info dumping being entertaining unless the audience itself find the infos to be interesting. And as much as some people don't like the info dumping, you have to understand that this show is meant to be stand alone and Fate/Zero was really just a supplementary material to F/SN.

What's wrong with info dumping? Togashi is king of that xD.

I still think Nasu is more info dumpy. I have read the VN years ago and i still somewhat remember he repeats the same stuff over and over again especially when it comes to the Holy Grail and the Servants.

0-2:

I am simply not that excited. I will note that Rin seems to be a delightful character, but when I compare this to Fate/Zero, it is simply lacking in weight.

Maybe you will enjoy Heaven's feel more once it aired. The tone is the same only i'd say that HF is much more darker.

Online TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2014, 09:28:48 PM »
And ufotable's solution for that(somehow) is Kirei walking in circle to Shirou and Rin.

I thought that was appropriate, for exactly the reason shown in your gif.  It is an implication that Kirei has come full circle from being an emotionless robot who doesn't know or care for the holy grail war to an obsessed egomaniac who wants to use the war for his own ends.  He has become his father and Tohsaka at the same time.

To pander to KS's ego here a bit, I think the problem with Fate is the hype.  Yes, it has been around for 10 years.  Yes, people adore it.  Yes, the DEEN adaptation sucked.  But hyperbolic comments are going to be made by a rabid fanbase over whatever new incarnation of their beloved shit comes along.  As such, UFOTable is doing the right thing by making sure that the show is directed towards the people who know jack shit about the Nasuverse, rather than those who do.  If you wanted fanwank, go watch Carnival Phantasm.  This is for all audiences, and I appreciate it as such.

But, seriously, if asinine ****hole comments like "this is going to save anime!" bother you, then you're a ****ing imbecile.  People say that shit all the time about whatever "hype" show comes out or is done by a "hype" studio.  Ignore them.  You are allowing the fans to ruin your fun, and that's your own damn fault.  Fans suck; fanbases suck, that doesn't mean the show does nor does it mean the medium that it is part of does.  Enjoy shit on your own levels and for your own tastes and merits.  Stop giving two shits what a gaggle of dumbasses think.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27   Go Up