Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 19, 2017, 04:42:27 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mushishi: The Sequel Chapter  (Read 23779 times)

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

Re: Mushishi: The Sequel Chapter
« Reply #135 on: December 06, 2014, 08:58:17 PM »
20:

This is neither interesting nor fun to watch. Watching such a downbeat episode, one that is a pittance to what this series has shown in the past, was doubly depressing. 
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • ACCESS1986 | Anime-Planet
    • Chat with nazrul.bin.buang using Skype
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #136 on: December 10, 2014, 07:37:29 AM »
19:

FINALLY, a great episode after some time. There have been good ones before this, but they aren't great because they lacked symbolism. This one finally has one: water as an essential element for life. Humans are just part of the whole aquatic cycle, and the son is unfortunately caught in the midst of a mushi that is part of it.

An unexpectedly bittersweet ending, right there.

20:

It's perplexing to me how the mother is able to hate her son. In fact, it's worse than hate: she's apathetic towards his well-being. Not that I find this episode stupid or anything, but I find it amazingly hard to believe that a mother can behave like this even in real life. It actually goes against maternal instincts.

I wonder what it means when Reki reveals to be keeping the umbilical cord. Does it mean that he still cherishes his mother and keeps it as a memento?

Offline fuu

• Ex-Reviewer

« Reply #137 on: December 16, 2014, 08:14:58 AM »
21:

One of the darkest episodes I've seen in this series. Death has oft been a foreboding element, but outright murder is quite a scarce occurrence,  making this quite an unnerving episode. Unnerving but needless to say, damned good (as usual).

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #138 on: December 18, 2014, 02:39:00 PM »
I wonder what it means when Reki reveals to be keeping the umbilical cord. Does it mean that he still cherishes his mother and keeps it as a memento?

Possibly. I saw it as also a reminder that they were torn apart from the moment he was born. Perhaps that's the only way for him to really move on. Though it could be as you said.

Loved the episode btw. I think the apathy the mother feels is because her son symbolizes the freedom she couldn't obtain. I can imagine it would be difficult for certain mothers to love a child that wasn't born from someone they even loved.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #139 on: December 19, 2014, 07:31:24 PM »
21:

Although not as symbolically deep as the previous episodes, the plot twist and the ending hit the spot. I didn't quite like how he drowned accidentally; it's too convenient to demonstrate how he's getting his comeuppance in the form of karma.

What I like in particular is the ending: returning to the mountain carries the meaning of returning back to your home and not getting lost.

Offline gedata

• gedata's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @https://twitter.com/G3data

« Reply #140 on: December 19, 2014, 07:55:29 PM »
21:

Although not as symbolically deep as the previous episodes, the plot twist and the ending hit the spot. I didn't quite like how he drowned accidentally; it's too convenient to demonstrate how he's getting his comeuppance in the form of karma.

What I like in particular is the ending: returning to the mountain carries the meaning of returning back to your home and not getting lost.
As bleak as it may seem, the ending seemed a surprisingly merciful. Nothing good could've come from the Uncle surviving. Either he would've killed the boy himself eventually or the kid would've eventually killed him in return (or just deal with the fact that he's growing up with the man who killed his father). Probably the best way it could've ended.

There's three more chapters left (including the 2 parter that the manga ends with) yet there's only one episode left. Does this mean another 2 part episode/special is on the way? I hope so.

Offline AC

• Screenshot Master
  • Reviewer
    • @@AC_CESS
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #141 on: December 25, 2014, 12:19:33 AM »
22 (final?):

Very intriguing.

Interesting point: what intrigues me is not the symbolism of this episode. Rather, it's how the mushi works. It grows red fruit-like seeds/leaves whenever in danger. And, whoever consumes it will gain the tree's memories and wisdom. But why does it do that? If trees can take action to defend itself, then why do this?

I think it's because the tree wants to retain its legacy. As how evolutionists theorize that humans ultimately aim to procreate, the tree eventually aims to procreate itself too. Not sure if it wanted to help for the greater good by saving the injured mountains and the villagers, because that sounds unusually altruistic. If both are gone, then the tree has no way to ensure its legacy.

Now, the man lives to "be" that tree itself.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #142 on: December 26, 2014, 03:04:52 AM »
I didn't realize the series was over.

I did not enjoy this season nearly as much as the first one, and a bit less than the second. The first few episodes were up to par, but the rest were just lacking imagination. I still remember the boy with the godlike hand, and the girl whose eyes were eaten, years after I watched them. Those episodes made sense, they were beautiful, they were fun, and they were touching; not qualities I can easily find in this season. I suppose you can only climb a mountain so high. Perhaps there's still the same depth, but I was just so unexcited that I didn't notice.     

I'd give this a middling 7/10. This show is skillfully made, interesting at times, and dazzling at first. It's good, but not great, and Mushishi was much more than great.
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #143 on: December 26, 2014, 06:52:09 AM »
22: Funny enough I didn't take this episode as necessarily a anti-deforestation message like others have taken it. I think more the message involved passing down legacies as well as not taking things for granted or being blinded by your weakness. It's a shame the man couldn't walk anymore or do what he wanted, but it was nice to see that he became grateful for what he was given

As for the AC's theory, that's interesting and possibly true. Mutual benefit at its finest if that's the case. I do wonder, was it possible the tree tried to keep the man there on purpose? Not sure though.

Offline The Big Guy

• Peasant-Chan

« Reply #144 on: August 03, 2015, 08:00:30 PM »
Movie:

I think I was expecting more of a...you know... final episode type ending rather than what we got. Maybe a sequel to the first special, where they do something with that recurring character with the evil mushi inside her or something. But nope, instead we get an episode affirming the fact that though we are separated from nature, we still live within it and will eventually return to it after death. That 's good enough for me.
I'm so awesome, I have my own TV Tropes page:http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBigGuy.

Offline HuuskerDu

• Cat-a-tonic

« Reply #145 on: August 03, 2015, 09:07:48 PM »
I think I was expecting more of a...you know... final episode type ending rather than what we got.

Yeah, I was kinda disappointed that we never got a proper finale when the 2nd cour ended in 2014. 

I sharpened my quill and wrote The Master of the Hill to give Ginko a proper send-off, weaving in both cours and the first OVA (Hihamukage) in a novella-length finale with a nice recap.  The story needs polish, but the ending that I gave Ginko should be satisfying. Hopefully the 2nd OVA doesn't obsolete it.
HuuskerDu at FanFiction.net.

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • samui26's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #146 on: August 03, 2015, 09:28:32 PM »
I have read the manga and there is no proper ending for Mushishi. Even so, I love this anime to bits. Well, few episodes were dull but for the rest, these are one of a kind experience that leaves the audience mesmerized.  I don't know. There are times I found myself crying with some of its episodes but feeling meh with others.
I am not sure if good animes are getting fewer these days or my taste has gone numb because most of what I watch recently look the same.

Oh, another shameless plug. Here's my blog: http://samui26.wordpress.com
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]  All   Go Up