Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 20, 2017, 11:44:31 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Japanese Government to Start Anti-Anime/Manga Piracy Operation Next Month  (Read 2928 times)

Offline Redgrave

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/07/28/japanese-government-to-start-anti-animemanga-piracy-operation-next-month

I'm not even sure if this is the right section for this but i'm sure some of you have heard of this. I'm still reeling from FAKKU'S betrayal and the Sad Panda holocaust a few days ago and now we're getting this next month. They have done something like this before, but it seems this one is more organized I think. Well still, they're only focusing on Chinese streaming sites for now. Good luck with that one, by the way. I'm sure China will give craptons of ****s when you slap them with the C and D orders.

I don't stream, but I'm still nervous anyway since most of the anime I watch are fansubbed. Will we get affected somehow? Is this whole operation futile? Will they finally succeed? Will fansub die and have no choice but to register at CrunchyRoll or this new legal site of theirs and get slapped with regional restrictions because you don't live in the right country and just cry in the corner like me? Maybe they should do something like an official channel like Bandai and Sunrise did with Gundam Build Fighters. Well I get why they're doing this, but still...

Anyhoo, what do you all think? Is this the fansub and scanlation apocalypse we all been dreading?

Here are the lists of the sites that they are targeting:

Offline SQA

Eh, new sites will pop up just as fast.  But that's a good list if I ever need to track one down.

What's the "sad panda holocaust"?

Offline Redgrave

Eh, new sites will pop up just as fast.  But that's a good list if I ever need to track one down.

I wish i have your optimism. Like I said, this is different. It's more...organized. The Japanese government themselves are calling the shots, not a bunch of disorganized companies. They could just shut down the new ones once it pop up. Also, have you seen the legal anime and manga site they made?

http://manga-anime-here.com/

Yeah. A bunch of shounen titles I don't really give a crap about and some older titles i already have watched.

We're f*cked, aren't we? We're seriously f*cked.

Oh Odin....

What's the "sad panda holocaust"?

Ex-Hentai is a site about, well you know, Hentai. It's larger than FAKKU even and most of good doujin and hentai can be seen there. The sad panda is what you will see if you tried to enter the site normally but there are ways to enter it...But now the site got axed thanks to some Judas. The Panda's demise is only the beginning of the end.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 11:02:19 PM by Redgrave »

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

Seeing as I only get my anime from Crunchyroll and FUNimation I don't give a shit.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Redgrave

I had a subscription in Crunchyroll once and i don't mind paying 50 bucks a year or something but those damn regional restrictions.....I try my best to support the industry by buying the Blurays of the series that i like.  But in a third world country like the Philippines, finding original anime DVDs and Bluray is hard enough and i have to pre-order them making it even more expensive. So most of the time i have to resort into pirating and watching illegal streams. I think they should make something like an official channel with ads like what they did with Build Fighters and other Sunrise shows. That would be awesome.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

I understand your frustration. I know SK has made similar complaints. My only solution lies in free market solutions. If the demand for anime is high enough a Crunchyroll like site should work in your country. Our Crunchyroll steps up its international obligations.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

I'm sure the big manga/anime will make it through somehow, but this basically means I may never see some of the old favorites. Ah well, it was good while it lasted.

On the other hand, I'm interested to see just how much these policies will accomplish.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 02:30:42 AM by Marid King »
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline Thot

Ex-Hentai is a site about, well you know, Hentai. It's larger than FAKKU even and most of good doujin and hentai can be seen there. The sad panda is what you will see if you tried to enter the site normally but there are ways to enter it...But now the site got axed thanks to some Judas. The Panda's demise is only the beginning of the end.
The Panda hasn't gotten the axe, it's alive and well. A bunch of stuff has been made unavailable for the time being, but it's not exactly the only source for that stuff.

As for this operation, well, they're missing some (rather important) sites. And more importantly there's always Perfect Dark as a last resort, which they can't shut down.
May do some temporary damage, but nothing to fear. The Japanese government won't succeed where the movie and music industries have failed miserably.

Offline Redgrave

The Panda hasn't gotten the axe, it's alive and well. A bunch of stuff has been made unavailable for the time being, but it's not exactly the only source for that stuff.

Really? I can't enter somehow...weird...

I understand your frustration. I know SK has made similar complaints. My only solution lies in free market solutions. If the demand for anime is high enough a Crunchyroll like site should work in your country. Our Crunchyroll steps up its international obligations.

Anime is quite popular in this country actually. Anime conventions/cosplay are big here and most people that i know watch anime in their free time instead of TV Shows. Even most elders and adults grew up watching anime because all broadcast station here tend to license them frequently during the 70's-90's.

It's just that it seems most people here now are just content of pirating them.

Offline Thot

Really? I can't enter somehow...weird...

Happens to some people for unknown reasons. Unless you created your account like yesterday, I guess try one of the plugins for exhentai, or otherwise do the ol' clean all the cookies, log in, then try again - method.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

I see the whole thing as an interesting gesture that will create a mild inconvenience for a couple weeks until the owners of the taken down sites transfer all their material to a brand new site to start anew.  There's really to much interest and ad money for there not to be these kind of services, so unless this is a perpetual assault by the Japanese government as opposed to a single barrage, it's more for appearances than actually solving anything.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline thanosmat

This accomplishes nothing. The source of fansubs, scanlators will continue there (irc, usenet, etc).

Offline SQA

Absolute worst case scenario is a return to getting stuff off IRC, but that won't happen.  Though, frankly, even with full access to all of the legal streams... I still watch the stream rips.  I just would rather have it in a on-computer client.  It just works so much better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up