Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 24, 2017, 02:33:29 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Aldnoah.Zero  (Read 47106 times)

Offline Black Liliana

Re: Aldnoah.Zero
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2014, 11:54:56 AM »

So the Vers Empire's plan was to actually assassinate the princess and not just fake an assassination? If so, then wouldn't there be some pro-war Vers guys sent to accompany her that will report the failed assassination to the higher ups? Because those officials don't seem to have any idea that the one assassinated was a double. I wonder if something else is up here.

I'm kinda disliking how Nao is being WAY too indifferent about how things are going here. He's probably being set up for some character development here though, so I'll keep my hopes up. But right now, I'm having a hard time thinking about how they could provide a satisfying explanation for Nao's behavior.

Also, while the soundtrack was decent overall, I'm not really a fan of Sawano's vocal tracks. Animation was definitely top tier though. And those Vers mecha shields were pretty neat.

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2014, 08:57:40 AM »
Anyway maybe it'll be like Gundam AGE where the Martians feel they were abandoned by Earth somehow in their far flung colonies and now that they're all super bitter about it.
I don't think it'll be that way, because the hypergate and the colonization of Mars were fresh off the moon landings in '69-'72. If anything, the Martians, who should reasonably be scientists and astronauts, should feel like the chosen vanguard's of humanity's expansion into space. Think about it; if sbdy told you you were to follow in the footsteps of Neil Armstrong and Co., not matter how jaded you were, you'd feel special.

So the Vers Empire's plan was to actually assassinate the princess and not just fake an assassination? If so, then wouldn't there be some pro-war Vers guys sent to accompany her that will report the failed assassination to the higher ups? Because those officials don't seem to have any idea that the one assassinated was a double. I wonder if something else is up here.
I think your complaint can be explained by the lack of overarching structure between the Vers Clans, but you know, it is silly that absolutely nobody knows that Asseylum used a double. I really doubt that Eddelrittsuo would have been the only person accompanying Asseylum. But, well, maybe she was. The Martians, for all their technology, cannot be very populous.

2:

I think the best scene in the episode was when the old man driver starts to run out of the car, and gets hit by a random block of concrete. Its scenes like this that really give you a sense of scale, and mecha shows need them. I think the action is very solid, but it pales in comparison to Titan's because it lacks the kinds of strategic thinking and grinding, slow, momentum that Titan developed by late in the Trost arc. There isn't the sense of a collapsing plan here that there was in Titan, Gargantia Ep1, or even Code Geass R1's late stages. The action's momentum could be better backed up by the writing. Otherwise, this is really good work. Still, its funny how only one my favourite action scenes of all time is from a visual medium (Gundam UC's opening), and I think that reiterates the importance of writing your action well.

Now come to think of it, this transport container is kind of our White Base, only I personally think that the bunch of misfits we have here are more varied and better set up for naturally flowing drama. Rayet and Asseylum are the two obvious sources of friction, but we still have Marito and Nao. Nobody's going to take Marito's cynicism and Nao's nihilism sitting down, and Rayet and Asseylum are clearly going be be chased by some demons later on.
As for the villains, well, I read fantasy. I've lived through enough faceless and often cackling dark lords to appreciate when I get a good villain, and move on if I don't. Its a shame, but whatever. Its really daft that he doesn't pack ranged weapons, though.

I ADORE that ED.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 09:16:52 AM by Pebble »

Offline KS

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2014, 01:21:07 PM »

Now come to think of it, this transport container is kind of our White Base, only I personally think that the bunch of misfits we have here are more varied and better set up for naturally flowing drama.

Really cause I kind of found the opposite, though I'll have to see some more actual natural interaction between the cast before I can judge.  I think we'll start to see that once the script is handed over from Gen Urobuchi who honestly just isn't suited at all for that sort of thing so much as people being constant dicks to each other or just kind of coming across as awkward in terms of dialogue where it's all pretty much expository and philosophical stuff.

Offline Pebble

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2014, 01:39:48 PM »
Well, with the original MSG, the conflicts that flowed from the situation aboard the White Base were Civilians-Military, EF-Zeon, and Amuro-Everything. Everyone gets into the ship before getting significant (initial) characterization. Here, we have Inaho-Everything with emotions, Civilians-military, Vers-Terrans, Rayet-Terrans, Rayet-Vers, as well as the potential romance btw Yuki and Marito. Maybe you don't find it more natural, but the situation certainly is more complicated here; there are three major parties here instead of the two from MSG.

I would argue, though, that we've gotten decent development for our characters so far, save for Rayet and the unnamed friend of Marito. Also, while Gen may not specialize in characters, Aoki is reasonably deft in that field, though he does have a distinctive style to it that he doesn't break out of much, if at all. I personally call it the "you’ll miss it the first time” school of character writing (contrast with Ping Pong), and we saw it in ep one, when Yuki tells Lt. Marito, in response to him saying that he is used to being looked down on, that she thinks he is a fine soldier – this is her telling him to snap out of the idea that nobody listens to him, or sees him as anything more than a drunk, and ****ing make something of himself, after which Marito gives a nice, long look at his bottle of booze.
In episode 2, we have Inaho mumbling "Penivia" to Yuki after getting caught being really stupid, because he has a really, really big ego and can't swallow the thought of being told off.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2014, 11:24:14 PM »
1-2:

Fascinating.  Certain things have been utterly predictable, certain other things have been obnoxiously directed, and certain other things make the science side of my brain twitch.  Thankfully, the good parts are so good they can block out my bitching.

For now.
I'm just like you, only smarter™.

Offline XRavsterX

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2014, 06:22:22 PM »
1-2

So far, this series has been predictable to a tee. The characters are obnoxious and cliché, and the premise of high school students becoming better soldiers than adults always raises my hackles.

I don't see this view changing, nor do I see the series becoming any less predictable any time soon. This show is on thin ice.

Offline KS

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2014, 08:25:03 PM »
1-2

So far, this series has been predictable to a tee. The characters are obnoxious and cliché, and the premise of high school students becoming better soldiers than adults always raises my hackles.

I don't see this view changing, nor do I see the series becoming any less predictable any time soon. This show is on thin ice.

This show needs a Bright Noa character to slap some sense into everyone and keep them honest.

Offline Thot

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2014, 11:38:58 AM »
3:

So I guess the princess and her not-yet-lover ended up on the earthlings' side.

Offline KS

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2014, 12:30:17 PM »
3:  The dialogue in this series as well as the characters and their roles remain about as ham fisted and contrived as can be this week but it's pretty enjoyable as a guilty pleasure if you don't think to hard about some of the things to do with the technology and how it's kind of inconsistently and improbably utilized portrayed and exploited by this shows sense of tactical logic.  It's no Knights of Sidonia though let alone Gundam.  I still can't decide if I like this show or Argevollen better, both have their strengths as well as their weakness.  Both have their share of cliches, this one has the more modern mecha feel to it while that one is kind of a product of tradition (though this is to some extent too even though it desperately tries to play it off like it's not) and strictly ground based tactics.  I also have to say so far Argevollen does a job of showing either side of the conflict being competent in it's own way while this show seems to flip flop between one side of the conflict being dominant as is needed by the plot.  Once the weakness of the enemy Kataphract is explained by Inaho this week it could have not possibly gone down more easily and without much of a fight.  In fact that Trillram guy who is supposed to be a Knight literally just stands there after letting Inaho stab at him with a mecha knife and then proceed to shoot him up with a common mecha uzi weapon.  I mean he couldn't have swiped at him with those claws that seem to be his mechs only weapon for whatever reason.  It doesn't really feel like smart tactics being used to overcome an overpowering enemy if it actually turns out the enemy has such critical design weaknesses in his supposed super weapon that actually make it kind of less versatile than the Earth mecha in the long run and if it does the whole everyone is just really stupid and arrogant except apparently for the main character thing I was really hoping it wouldn't do.  Also is it me or do the fights in this show absolutely suck being all one sided and all.  I don't know it's just really hard to get all that excited for them.  God help this show it tries...perhaps a little too hard at times, but I'm not buying it as the super smart tactics beats raw power show the promo material is advertising it as.  At least that Trillram guy is done and we can hopefully get on to less ridiculous antagonists with hopefully actual weapons equipped on their mechas and not just critically flawed barrier systems.

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2014, 12:44:01 PM »
3:

Some of this technology is being used ominously. Namely, the princess has a hologram generator on her that lasts for days and can make her look like a completely different person. I note that, for the moment, they specifically invented this device so that she could reveal herself easily and move the plot. If this thing doesn't see further use, this'll be a pretty bad bit of plot convenience. I'll be watching.

I also focus on that little detail  because this episode honestly wasn't too exciting. I really doubt this show can shine via tactics and strategy, as it tried to do here. This conflict would have been more exciting is there was no shield at all, and the mechs just slugged it out.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 01:53:36 PM by Marid King »
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2014, 12:45:05 PM »

So basically arrogance is the downfall of the bowl head-kun.  How fitting. 

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline KS

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2014, 12:58:34 PM »

So basically arrogance is the downfall of the bowl head-kun.  How fitting.

How original and convenient but yes also how typically fitting.  ::)

Offline Sorrow-kun

• War Criminal
  • Administrator
    • Sorrow-kun's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with sorrow-k using Skype
    • Steam Community :: Sorrow_kun
    • @Sorrow_kun
    • The Nihon Review

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2014, 09:33:50 PM »
Ep 3

What an immensely satisfying ending to that episode.

Offline KS

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2014, 09:47:46 PM »
Ep 3

What an immensely satisfying ending to that episode.

In what way?  I found it pretty unfilling since basically all they did was off some retarded villain who isn't even the one Slaine had a beef with and who had no particular nuance and character and not to mention a mech that made no particular logical sense in terms of design.  The downfall of this show really is the characters though.  For a show setting up to be a space opera it's just doing a piss poor job of making me give a damn about any of them or take interest in what they are doing.  The show wants desperately to hit you up with how smart it is but doesn't really take into consideration how it makes other parts of it's contract look trivial and silly.  I suppose this is what they call a cutting edge mecha show nowadays.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 10:28:28 PM by KS »

Offline Pebble

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2014, 11:54:39 PM »
The dialogue in this series as well as the characters and their roles remain about as ham fisted and contrived
It strikes me that the mecha genre in general doesn't have the best history of exposition. The old Gundam shows were old and had their fair share of random exposition dumping, and I hear bad things about some of ZZ's and Victory's habits. Zeta was generally clean on the exposition slate (despite what you say about the sense of timing), but it had its moments of weird characterizations, mostly regarding cyber-NTs. All these are old shows, sure, but its not like Gundam has the best expositional track-record in the 2000s and onward. SEED's exposition involves huge amounts of dodging the big issues, and I don't think any of us will claim that Gundam 00's dialogue will win any awards after hearing stuff like "I WILL BECOME A GUNDAM".
Now granted, I've yet to see a ton of mecha shows, but it dawns on me that the only mecha shows in which I was straight-up impressed with the expositional style were War in the Pocket, Unicorn and Sidonia. War in the Pocket because its story was constructed so perfectly to require no random info-spouting, Unicorn because the writing was just that good, and Sidonia because of how implicit it kept everything.

In any case, I don't find the characters as lacking as you make them out to be. Bowl-head-kun is an exception - that guy just sucked.

but it's pretty enjoyable as a guilty pleasure if you don't think to hard about some of the things to do with the technology and how it's kind of inconsistently and improbably utilized, portrayed and exploited by this shows sense of tactical logic.
A similar thing strikes me about so many mecha shows. I've listed off some of Argevollen's anachronistic idiosyncrasies in its thread, but come to think of it, there's yet to be a modern real robot show where tactical logic doesn't need to be suspended to some degree or another. Zeta Gundam robot transformations probably just make for really bad combat manoeuvres, as does the idea of using Gundams stealthily a la 08th MS Team, when you can just use tanks. Sidonia's record is quite clean, though one wonders why they need to keep giving robots legs when they aren't even really needed in space combat and just slow the robot down by adding so much mass.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18   Go Up