Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 22, 2017, 03:02:52 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aldnoah.Zero  (Read 47030 times)

Offline KS

Re: Aldnoah.Zero
« Reply #255 on: March 29, 2015, 11:15:18 PM »
I feel like I remain pretty much the only one where the soundtrack was a definite negative with this show.  Again just too many vocal tracks and too small a selection with not enough variety.  Also odd is that they apparently had a second volume OST that was never really used.
The thing that ruins the OST for me is definitely the fact that the only time they changed insert songs was between seasons. Otherwise every battle sounded exactly the same, as if the director wanted to assign as much importance to the random skirmishes as the season climaxes.

That reminds me of a funny video someone linked me where they keep superimposing the ending theme from the first season the show really liked to play almost every other track except literally for every possible situation.  Boy did this show love that one song.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #256 on: March 30, 2015, 09:32:34 AM »
All I can say at the end of this show is that I wish I could get Gen to actually write a full mecha story. Not just help with scenario and some vague details and bail after a couple episodes. Aldnoah ended up becoming pure mediocrity. Disappointment through and through. Well at least it wasn't another Valvrave or Cross Ange. 5/10

Offline Sidenote

• Troll

« Reply #257 on: August 09, 2015, 07:25:09 AM »
Will someone please help me? Aside from Eureka 7 and Code Geass, I've never really been into mechas. Just never got around to trying them out. But then I watched Aldonoah Zero, and I absolutely loved the mecha premise. Does anyone have any suggestions for good mechas that a) have good mecha AND character animations b) aren't 10+ years old, and c) won't screw me over like Aldnoah Zero did (2nd season was absolute bull).
Hunter X Hunter really isn't that good, guys....

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #258 on: August 09, 2015, 10:15:33 AM »
So I've had a thought.

Yamato 2199 is mecha. Here's why: everything a mecha show has (minus the robots) is in Yamato 2199. Likewise, everything you'll find in Yamato 2199 would not at all be out of place in some other mecha show. So if somebody made all the planes in Yamato 2199 transformable robots, Yamato would be a mecha show. But this change is so very minor and cosmetic, that I argue that it should not even be counted a change proper. Thus Yamato 2199 is a mecha show.
Now thats not what I wanted to really do: what I really want to highlight is that things like Yamato 2199 make it obvious that the mecha genre itself is a poor classification for stories, or at least, is poorer than most. I believe Desdemondia made this observation a while ago too; even now "mecha" tells you nothing about the type of story save that there will be robots. Could one say the same for "Harem"? I think so, but to a lesser degree. And this is all to say that you might want to watch Yamato 2199.

Other than that, Full Metal Panic; Bokurano; Gurren Lagann. They're all shows and franchises people could write you nice paragraphs on. I'm just going randomly here. And that reminds me that I have to get back to RahXephon.

If, though, you just want robots, and you want to take the animation route to things, you might want to spend some time at sakugabooru (http://sakuga.yshi.org/post?page=10&tags=mecha). You will find an obscene amount of Gundam Build Fighters there, so try looking beyond that. Its also a good substitute for 9gag.

Offline KS

« Reply #259 on: August 09, 2015, 11:11:33 AM »
Will someone please help me? Aside from Eureka 7 and Code Geass, I've never really been into mechas. Just never got around to trying them out. But then I watched Aldonoah Zero, and I absolutely loved the mecha premise. Does anyone have any suggestions for good mechas that a) have good mecha AND character animations b) aren't 10+ years old, and c) won't screw me over like Aldnoah Zero did (2nd season was absolute bull).

IMO Aldnoah.Zero isn't a very good example of a strong mecha series (possibly why it's hooked a lot of non-mecha watches in the first place) so based on that it might actually be hard to recommend you anything.  I know tons of different series throughout the years, like I'd recommend a Gundam which Aldnoah.Zero was trying to emulate (poor mans Gundam really) a lot but I'm not sure if you'd like it or how your taste is for older animation styles.  Given that you've put a 10 year old production date limitation on this (not a good thing to do to oneself when it comes to mecha anime since so many of the best ones are IMO from the 80's and 90's) I'd dare suggest what you ask might even be nigh impossible or at least very very tricky.  I don't know....Gundam 00 maybe?  That's like what...8 years old now so it meets the strict time

I'd second the recommendation for Yamato 2199 as well since it's a rare example of something with an old school mixed with new school vibe that is like the perfect blend for getting older and newer fans engaged, something Aldnoah massively missed the mark on (It mainly appealed to new school people that have a tendency to reject anything with mecha on site) IMO.  Frankly I'm not a subscriber to the whole 2nd season of Aldnoah dropped the ball on the first season thing IMO.  The first season was pretty mediocre mecha fair period, the 2nd season was simply the other shoe dropping and the production team throwing up it's hands and basically going "Yeah you got us, we've actually got nothing" to follow up on the epic bragging and showboating from the first half and it's promotional phase.  For a team of people that has pretty much never worked on a mecha series before and whose director chose to base his work off of the atrocious Hades Project Zeorymer OVA from the 80's boy were they ever cocky as **** about it.

Quote from: pebble
Now thats not what I wanted to really do: what I really want to highlight is that things like Yamato 2199 make it obvious that the mecha genre itself is a poor classification for stories, or at least, is poorer than most. I believe Desdemondia made this observation a while ago too; even now "mecha" tells you nothing about the type of story save that there will be robots. Could one say the same for "Harem"? I think so, but to a lesser degree. And this is all to say that you might want to watch Yamato 2199.

Over the years I've kind of grown to accept that the mere label "mecha" can kind of be a turnoff for a lot of viewers kind of like the whole "Harem", "Ecchi" "Romance" or "VN/LN Adaptation" labels have typically said to me "stay away from this, you won't like it much".  There's just a certain stigma to certain genre labels or styles that turn some people away and mecha is one of the bigger ones.  A lot of people just do not like it anymore, even in Japan....unless it's something established like Gundam, Macross  or Yamato.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 11:21:42 AM by KS »

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #260 on: August 09, 2015, 11:34:44 AM »

1. Gundam Unicorn
2. Macross Frontier
3. Yamato 2199
4. Gundam 00

If you're wiling to go for over the top, Gurren Lagann

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline Sidenote

• Troll

« Reply #261 on: August 09, 2015, 07:11:23 PM »
Well, thanks for the suggestions, I will definitely try them out.

IMO Aldnoah.Zero isn't a very good example of a strong mecha series

And I thought I'd just throw it out their, but I don't think that Aldnoah Zero was a good mecha (or a good anything, for that matter). But I did notice two things that I really liked about the series: quality animation, and robots doing cool stuff. So I figured that if I was able to like that in a bad show, then I'd absolutely love it in a good series. And I singled out mechas because, well, I don't know of any other genre known for gigantic robos.
Hunter X Hunter really isn't that good, guys....

Offline KS

« Reply #262 on: August 09, 2015, 07:22:30 PM »
Well, thanks for the suggestions, I will definitely try them out.

IMO Aldnoah.Zero isn't a very good example of a strong mecha series

And I thought I'd just throw it out their, but I don't think that Aldnoah Zero was a good mecha (or a good anything, for that matter). But I did notice two things that I really liked about the series: quality animation, and robots doing cool stuff. So I figured that if I was able to like that in a bad show, then I'd absolutely love it in a good series. And I singled out mechas because, well, I don't know of any other genre known for gigantic robos.

This is just my opinion but if like good animation and robots doing cool stuff then you really can't go wrong with Sunrises line of mecha shows.  There's actually a Code Geass OVA out now called Akito The Exiled that has all around fantastic 2D and 3D animation and Gundam Unicorn is top notch if you aren't overly concerned with knowing the backstory.  IMO it's exponentially more fulfilling if you do though.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]   Go Up