Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 19, 2017, 10:09:28 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Current Manga: What's Worth Reading?  (Read 6193 times)

Offline Sidenote

• Troll

Re: Current Manga: What's Worth Reading?
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2016, 09:51:19 AM »
Another one worth reading that I just remembered:

Five Centimeters Per Second

The manga is refreshingly different from the original movie. It keeps all the most important elements (stunning visuals, overall plotline, key character interactions), but the adaptor writes it in her own style. Most notable is the way the illustrator tells the third chapter, delving deeper into the MC's thoughts and using a more... coherent (don't know the right word) method of telling the final part of the story. There is also a manga only epilogue that is satisfying and compliments the ending nicely. 5/5, would reccommend you buy it.
Hunter X Hunter really isn't that good, guys....

Offline Sidenote

• Troll

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2016, 05:58:45 PM »
Well, might as well add another one. It's a manwha too, 'cuz that's the only good stuff I can find these days.

By Chance We... And... is like 5 cm in that it's main draw is to get a slap in the face from reality. A romance and camaraderie that's straight out of the movies taken down to earth in the most realistic of ways. 

I personally skipped about 10 chapters towards the end, not because it was bad, but because it was so true to life that I couldn't read it w/o getting frustrated. The final chapter was well worth though.
Hunter X Hunter really isn't that good, guys....

Offline Kubi

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2016, 07:17:46 PM »
Wizards soul
Latest Release(s)
v.2 c.8 by SAZ (19d ago)
v.2 c.7 by WS Scan (210d ago)
v.2 c.6 by WS Scan (243d ago)

Dreams come true

Offline Kubi

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2016, 01:26:38 PM »
Tamen de gushi: shoujo ai manhua

Reading this was similar to having a Coke addiction. I found myself uncontrollably laughing and crying back to back. Then when I ran out, my first instinct was to empty my bank account and hit the streets to find more.

The art is beautifully realistic and sun Jing makes akatsuki Ousawa look like a bitch.

Offline samui

• The Fudanshi Scholar
    • samui26's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @samuiyoru07

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2016, 05:43:09 PM »
I am a fudanshi so... don't be disgusted with these recommendations. Nothing R-18 since I am not fond of BL's tropes so these two stood out.

Seven Days and Hidamari ga Kikoeru.

What I liked about these two is the characters just fall in love with each other sans the uke/seme thing. They are people, having real dialogues and their interaction, for most of the part felt really at home. Yep. Of course, the artwork is also good and there's nary a trace of unnecessary sexualization of our leads. In fact, it felt like these two are drawn akin to a shoujo manga.
I am not sure if good animes are getting fewer these days or my taste has gone numb because most of what I watch recently look the same.

Oh, another shameless plug. Here's my blog: http://samui26.wordpress.com

Offline Kubi

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2017, 10:59:06 AM »
Isobe Isobee Monogatari ~Ukiyo wa Tsurai yo~ (Chronicle of Isobe: The Life is Hard)
Unfortunately limited to 2 Translated chapters, isobe stole my heart in the first couple of pages. He's lazy, he's a liar and one day, he will be a great warrior.

Yuzumori-san
Both appealing and revolting, it takes a serious look into the potential repercussions of an illicit lolicon relationship between two girls, one in middle school(?), the other in elementary school. Equally depicting pure love, sweaty palms and disgust from onlookers, I really have no idea where this will go.

Black torch
Potentially the next big thing in shounen, and not nearly as painful to read as others (read: I hate shounen). The punk MC with a heart of gold reminds me of yusuke (yu yu hakusho) which comes as a breath of fresh air compared to the robotic do-gooders plaguing the genre.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up