Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 17, 2017, 10:27:24 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Current Manga: What's Worth Reading?  (Read 6639 times)

Offline Kubi

Re: Current Manga: What's Worth Reading?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2016, 03:17:19 AM »
Okay, we get it, nice troll man. :^)

As far as the anti-harem keikaku goes, bakemonogatari removed 3 haremettes in a single season, unless you were specifically referring to harem manga. In which case I don't know, not really my forte. The idea doesn't exactly come off as novel, and the nobody wins trend will not be missed. As I said earlier I'm just waiting for Komi to end it in hopes that he only makes one shots from now on.

Offline AHideyo

• AHideyo's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Steam Community :: Hideyo

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2016, 03:37:01 AM »
GEKKAN SHOUJO NOZAKI KUUNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2016, 08:28:09 AM »
Battle Angel Alita:Started off as complete schlock that first volume involing that villain who was going around eating brains and then trying to humanize him at the last second. After that the writing is so much better. I really enjoy the amount of creative and detail that is put into this unverise. Only have two volumes,but I totally understand why this is such a classic.

Master Keaton:

Only read a volume but it's basically Japanese Maguyer and Indiana Jones. It's enjoyable so far,though I could see it getting really old fast if it follows the same story structure for each chapter.

Actually I Am...:

Read a volume on whim and ended up really enjoying it. I don't usually enjoy harems since they usually use pointless as crutch instead focusing on the comedic aspect or having good characters. This is working for me so far due to it's comedic focus which worked really well for me. These characters are all lovable idiots and while the premise is nothing special,the author really goes all the way with the wackiness of it.
"No matter how wonderful everything in your movie may be, if your script sucks ass, your movie will suck ass."

"No matter how good a film is, it will always be bad. It will always be hated because it didn't live up to the incredibly high expectations." -

Offline Sidenote

• Troll

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2016, 07:50:06 PM »
I regret making a joke about best girl and triggering an avalanche of more jokes. I was 100% serious about taking Nisekoi seriously.

Nothing I said was a joke.

Nah, but seriously, I just went and read the latest chapters after the most recent Marika arc, and.... I've added it back to my bookmark list. It's become a worthwhile manga once again. Thx to MK for the suggestion.
Hunter X Hunter really isn't that good, guys....

Offline gedata

• gedata's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @https://twitter.com/G3data

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2016, 08:54:50 PM »
Spirit Circle is about to end next month so now is a decent time to spread the good word about a series that clearly not enough people have been reading. Really, it's as if the author had a bunch of cool ideas to use for separate stories from different periods, but found a clever and cathartic way to wrap them together. I haven't seen a story use the concept of reincarnation this well since Tezuka's Phoenix.

Battle Angel Alita:Started off as complete schlock that first volume involing that villain who was going around eating brains and then trying to humanize him at the last second. After that the writing is so much better. I really enjoy the amount of creative and detail that is put into this unverise. Only have two volumes,but I totally understand why this is such a classic.

Asides from this, the first volume was pretty awesome. Nothing wrong with a bit of schlock here and there and the original series strikes a pretty decent compromise between it's story and ultraviolence. Last Order....not so much. I'd dial back expectations for that one.

Offline AHideyo

• AHideyo's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Steam Community :: Hideyo

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2016, 09:55:06 PM »
I read Qualia the Purple the other day as per ImperialX's recommendation, and boy that story was a ton of asspull in its second half. The ending was decent though but damn its actually the so bad its good kinda story.

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2016, 10:01:12 PM »
Asides from this, the first volume was pretty awesome. Nothing wrong with a bit of schlock here and there and the original series strikes a pretty decent compromise between it's story and ultraviolence. Last Order....not so much. I'd dial back expectations for that one.

Oh,the first volume wasn't boring at all. My big issue was the paneling and framing of action scenes,which I had real trouble making out what was going on. Am definitely a fan of it's ultraviolence(especially for the dark humor).I do have some small issues with the series later on,like the introduction of Figure Four,who is just a stupid,bland character(that romance between him and Alita is hilariously forced). That and how rushed it in these last two volumes(though I heard the author was forced to end it). Small issues which don't ruin the enjoyment for me,though.

I already know what to expect with Last Order,which is apparently stretched out longer than it needs to be,and it having a lot of pointless,and stupid characters.
"No matter how wonderful everything in your movie may be, if your script sucks ass, your movie will suck ass."

"No matter how good a film is, it will always be bad. It will always be hated because it didn't live up to the incredibly high expectations." -

Offline Delphinox

• The Only Hero That Ever Dies

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2016, 03:14:32 AM »
I didn’t have an immediate manga in mind for this thread, so I tried randomly picking ten series from the pool of currently publishing manga series I’m following to get some ideas. Which then proceeded to generate manga published in primarily shoujo magazines for six out of ten, so hooray for diversity!

But one of the ten I did pick was Bokura no Kiseki, which was actually pretty interesting to ponder (and probably fitting, since we’re somewhat on the topic of reincarnation) as it’s one of those series that I really enjoy but never took the time to really articulate to myself why. The premise draws on the worn concept of reincarnated memories/past lives, but really separates itself in my book for just how committed it is to its concept. The overarching mystery of the series is probably the manga's big draw; the past kingdom in which everyone in the cast is reincarnated from had a sudden and tragic end, and the fallout in the present day is that everyone’s left to try to piece together how the kingdom fell as suddenly as it did. That in turn leads to a chain of “who’s who” events that pepper the main narrative, and with people from different factions being reincarnated in everyday students, there’s a ton of tension and mistrust that adds to the mystery as the story gets more complex with every consecutive chapter. Even as someone who’s a bit partial to the reincarnation/past life trope, I wasn’t prepared for how complicated things got pretty quickly at first, and looking back on it, the rapidly ascending cast number and murky relationships are quite the barrier of entry for the inattentive to get over.

At the same time, there’s still an underlying dissonance between their past incarnations and their current lives, which occasionally grounds the series on a dime. The suddenness of how a vast majority of the different folks in play regain their memories leads to a lot of the cast often playing their roles too enthusiastically and forgetting themselves as an otherwise average motley of high school students. Hierarchical roles and potential differences in past allegiances put current relationships in awkward places, which are most notably not lost on the lead pair of main characters, both of which had started a relationship shortly before the event that triggered most of the cast to regain their reincarnated memories. The castle politics that the characters discuss depict a pretty interesting setting until you realize that they’re discussing this stuff in a classroom or a karaoke bar after school. Pick a chapter in the middle of the series at random, and with no context it’ll probably just look like a chuuni game taken way too far. It's pretty much a point of the series to keep itself engrossed in the mystery of the cast's past lives, but not to the extent where it shuts out the current reality in front of them.

But if nothing else, it's definitely not a manga wanting for developments. For what's an otherwise well-worn story idea (though less so nowadays), it really tries to go the whole nine yards with it to a point where it gets to be a little too much sometimes. Not the easiest manga in terms of keeping on top of all the details, but it made for quite a few late nights of fun reading for me when I first started following it.

Offline hayama

• Reviewer

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2016, 11:23:50 AM »
I'm not sure if this thread is for ongoing manga, but both Inio Asano's Girl by the Sea and Oyasumi Punpun have recently received a US release, so I wholeheartedly recommend anyone interested in them picking them up. I don't read much manga, but Inio Asano is an absolute favorite, and his stories are both dark and disturbing while still managing to be heartfelt, something that is rare when someone decides for bleak storytelling.

Offline themaster20000

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2016, 12:08:46 PM »
Finished Battle Angel. I understand that he had to rush the ending,but it really petered out at the end;especially those last 3 chapters. It doesn't destroy the journey of this girl trying find her place in an unforgiving world.

Offline Sidenote

• Troll

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2016, 07:50:38 PM »
Just binged a good chunk of Boku no Hero Academia and it's an interesting one. It's kinda refreshing in how unabashedly old fashioned it is; just a classic hero tale with some surprisingly convicting shounen monologues. I'd say the only draw back to this manga is that it has too much text. It needs to go lighter, particularly on the spots where there's down time between fights.
Hunter X Hunter really isn't that good, guys....

Offline Kubi

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2016, 01:25:22 AM »
For some reason I manage to start these new series instead of working on my backlog. Some day it will make sense, until then I have kaguya wants to be confessed to. Looking at the description I expected it to be similar to the shoujo Last Game, and it's turned out to be everything Last Game should have been. I'm pretty biased against horrible most shoujos, but the premise works way better as a seinen. Also from the author of instant bullet, which I promise to read. Some day. Eventually.

Offline Delphinox

• The Only Hero That Ever Dies

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2016, 06:34:18 PM »
For some reason I manage to start these new series instead of working on my backlog. Some day it will make sense, until then I have kaguya wants to be confessed to. Looking at the description I expected it to be similar to the shoujo Last Game, and it's turned out to be everything Last Game should have been.

I think I have a built-in Pavlovian response to suddenly yell out "GODDAMMIT" every time I see or hear Last Game mentioned, solely because of the sheer amount of blueballing that goes on in that manga. I'm a bit more accustomed to slower-moving shoujo series, but that series just outright stalls more than a Jay Electronica album release.

Offline Reckoner

• Reviewer

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2016, 07:06:12 PM »
Last Game raises the standard for oblivious female shojo lead to new heights. I loved it so much at first and now I'm just cursing every chapter. I have no idea why I'm still reading it.

Offline Kubi

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2016, 12:45:21 PM »
Because yanagi will go to americuh, kujo will visit and get ntrd by some big titty white girl even though nothing really happened. Kujo will ask to break up then go back to Japan and date a newly matured soma. Yanagi will come back with some other girl after he finishes abroad, but when they all go camping together yanagi and kujo will be unable to resist rekindling their relationship. Other girl and soma look on sadly and give up. Then yanagi will find a picture causing him to believe he's blood related to kujo, leading to an anticlimactic confrontation with their parents for the finale.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up