Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 17, 2017, 10:32:26 AM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Current Manga: What's Worth Reading?  (Read 6640 times)

Offline Archon

Current Manga: What's Worth Reading?
« on: May 08, 2014, 02:54:17 PM »
I was just wondering what manga's people are following right now, and thought I'd create a thread for people to share their favorite current series, and get and give recommendations for series they might like. Personally I'm currently following Shingeki no Kyojin AKA Attack on Titan, and the Korean manhwa Tower of God, and that's it. I'd highly recommend both if you haven't checked them out.

Offline Aelms

Re: Current Manga: What's Worth Reading?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 04:38:38 PM »
Oyasumi Punpun and Wandering Son are what comes to mind when I think of masterpieces. However, both have content that can be taken as offensive so they're probably not for everybody.

Offline Redgrave

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 05:55:30 PM »
Vinland Saga - It deals about the colonization of north america by the Vikings and the characterization and character progression is phenomenal.

The Ravages of Time - A Romance of the Three Kingdoms adaptation. In my humble opinion, this is better in some levels than it's original iconic war epic masterpiece but it had many unrealistic elements compared to the original.

Historie - This one is set on ancient greece. It follows the life of Eumenes, the secretary and general of Alexander the great.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
  • I used to write about anime. Now I watch anime.
    • ImperialX's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 02:21:48 AM »
Try Murasakiiro no Qualia. It's pretty intense.

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 02:57:53 AM »
Chick on the cover is dressed like Misaki from NHK.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline ImperialX

• けだるげ
  • I used to write about anime. Now I watch anime.
    • ImperialX's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • @ImperialX

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 10:11:33 PM »
Chick on the cover is dressed like Misaki from NHK.

Give it a read, it's not very long and I think it's something you'd like.

Offline Kubi

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 09:04:01 PM »
Resurrection ye manga section

Prison school: the anime adaptation was pretty faithful, but that was only a quarter of the story. You will know very quickly if this is your cup of tea. Very sexual but very relatable to... men of a certain age. If you enjoy the first few chapters, you won't be able to put it down. Top notch humor still going strong at 200+ chapters.

Horimiya: while more dramatic in the early stages, it settles into a feel-good heartwarming series reminiscent of bonnouji. A shonen romance with minimal angst and characters that (usually) communicate like adults.

Tomo-chan: one page released daily. The characters remain one dimensional, yet the series continually proves to be refreshingly down to earth. Highly recommended to any fan of the romcom genre.

Honorable mention - wizard's soul: from the author of bonnouji, a poor girl that learned a card game resembling Magic the gathering from her dying mother abandons all her personal relationships in order support her family with her tournament winnings and "disgusting" play style. The translations stopped over 100 days ago, but I have hope it gets picked up some day when Aki Eda gets the attention she deserves.

Backlog: Instant bullet, spirit circle

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 01:11:46 AM »
Well since we're doing this...

I've been looking for somewhere to get this off my chest. Go read Nisekoi. Yes, I am 100% serious. Why?

Spoiler for Hiden:
For 200ish chapters it was just another harem manga with likable characters, but as of the last few months, the harem is actually systematically reducing in members. Right now it's down to the final two. I have literally never heard of any harem ever doing this, it's great for the manga, but more importantly, we are watching history in the making. THERE IS ACTUALLY A CANON BEST GIRL. CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?!
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.

Offline Kubi

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 02:00:39 AM »
Its okay man, we're all reading it. There's no way to get off this train. We're just waiting for the end of the line.

Also best girl is highly subjective.

Offline Sidenote

• Troll

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 08:25:30 AM »
I'm totally up for reviving the manga section. Was thinking of doing it myself.

Toukyou Ghoul: You have to be able to enjoy existentialism and a fair amount of super dark stuff (not as bad as Beserk, from what I hear, even though I haven't read it). But the amount of plot consistency and foreshadowing and action and character dev. and fantastic art... It's amazing. If you've seen the anime, then don't be put off. I hate to be that 'manga-only' guy. But the manga really is better.

Tower of God: My consolation now that Bleach and Naruto have ended. It pains me to say, but only 200+ plus chapters in and ToG is already significantly better than Bleach and Naruto ever were. The author knows how to develop characters (and not just side characters, like Naruto. He works on all of them from day one), which is painfully rare in a shounen. The action is fresh; it's not 'technique' (all of bleach in a nutshell) or 'brute force' (Naruto towards the end) based. It certainly involves those types of skills. But the main focus is team battle, and working withing a given parameter ('games' as they're called). The universe is huge; the author has written many blog posts and side comments about the lore, so it's adds some nice context if you wanna read a little extra. And the art is... amazing after season 1. Admittedly, it's not to great in season 1. Not bad, but not something to ooh and ahh over. At least it's in all color since chapter 1 though.

Also best girl is highly subjective.

... Are you serious? Best girl is cold hard fact. Some people are ignorant. Some people are stupid. Some people are in denial. But that doesn't change the reality that Chitoge is best girl.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 03:27:51 PM by Sidenote »
Hunter X Hunter really isn't that good, guys....

Offline Kubi

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 09:53:22 PM »
Y-San would disagree. But the truth is chitoge was the best girl until some one was saved by her prince. Life is unfair.

Spoiler for Hiden:

But let's avoid the waifu war. Tower of God looks good, I'll add it to my backlog. The only action series I'm reading is twin star exorcist - think there's an anime coming which increased its popularity, but it really only serves as a walking encyclopedia for tvtropes.

I read the original Tokyo ghoul and would rate it a full 2 points above the anime... Maybe I was bitter about the lack of faithfulness, but I felt much more attached to the manga. Was planning on continuing :RE when it was a bit further along.

Offline Sidenote

• Troll

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 11:40:30 PM »
Yeah, I believe ya. Probably why I'll never read it. I wish Chitoge would win just to break the whole 'childhood friend' trope that plagues harem series. If she does, lemme know via pm. I'll go read it if that happens. I'm dead serious.

I feel like the harem genre could be so much better if it weren't for the three big problems that saturate the market at the moment: 'childhood friend' tropes, stagnation, and character 'arcing' (won't mention unnecessary fanservice here).

Oregairu fell into this in S2 with its arcs. Iroha was the prime example; a character who was given the same high quality character dev as most others, but then immediately fell from the story, despite the supposed growth in relationship etc. with the MC.

Air Gear is a prime example of all three problems (and the unspoken fourth). Cool concept, fun comedy, terrible execution.

Anyways, I digress. More manga for the general good of the people:

Dead Sorcerer's City: The author is actually known for horror. But this one is good too. It's also a manwha, great story, character dev, and comedy (when it shows up). Art is decent.

The Gamer: Just about anyone who reads K-comics on Line or whatnot knows this. It's the ultimate satisfaction for anyone who loves games; hilarious references, typical gamer op-ness... it's truly a delight. As of now, I would recommend waiting a year or two before jumping in. The story is just now transitioning from its introductory comedy phase to more serious parts, and the character dev is really interesting, so waiting a bit til it's more developed would be best.

Hunter X Hunter really isn't that good, guys....

Offline TypicalIdiotFan

• Banned.
  • Reviewer
    • @@TypicalIdiotFan

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 09:36:58 PM »
I feel like the harem genre could be so much better if it weren't for the three big problems that saturate the market at the moment: 'childhood friend' tropes, stagnation, and character 'arcing' (won't mention unnecessary fanservice here).

Unnecessary fanservice is the only good thing about harems.

But let's avoid the waifu war

Why.  Since they stagnate, are driven by arcs, and so forth, it isn't like you can engage anybody in the overarching plot, since there also usually isn't one.  So fight away with pointless waifu wars.  The **** else are you going to talk about?  Unnecessary fanservice?  Shit, I got To-Love-Ru for that.
I'm just like you, only smarterô.

Offline Kubi

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2016, 11:35:17 PM »
Yeah, I agree, there is nothing else to talk about. It's a good thing this isn't the nisekoi topic or we'd be in for one hell of a chitoge vs all battle royal. And kosaki magical whatever has the real service.

The Voynich Hotel: my new favorite dark humor read. Oyasumi punpun meets durarara with some... dagashi kashi sprinkled on top? Bits and pieces of the daily lives of residents at a creepy hotel on a remote pacific island intertwine to form a larger picture.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 11:49:59 PM by Kubi »

Offline Marid King

• komosha's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2016, 02:27:32 AM »
I regret making a joke about best girl and triggering an avalanche of more jokes. I was 100% serious about taking Nisekoi seriously.
The only denizen of the Other Place posting on the Nihon Review.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up