Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

October 22, 2017, 05:53:36 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Introduction, question and suggestions for me  (Read 1281 times)

Offline Equilibrium

• Background character

Introduction, question and suggestions for me
« on: April 05, 2014, 05:04:26 PM »
Umm.. Yeah.. First post on this forum and i thought it would be appropriate briefly introduce myself:D

Apologies for my below par english but try to bear with it.

My friend introduced me to anime half a year ago so i haven't got the experience on the subject for the time being. Unfortunately i can't label myself as a fan of the culture for the time being but i acknowledge it as a form of entertaiment and art. Its powerful, beautiful and rich on its own way, but makes it difficult for me to label my way of thinking as a animefan's way of thinking (correct me by all means if im wrong:D). Generally i love books, comics, tv shows and movies as a big universe where anime has its place. I can't put anime on a pedestal as my favorite as a fan would, but im giving it or at least trying to give it a same amount of praise i would give to a good movie, tv-show, book or comic.

So my question is: Is it okay for me to post my feelings here or is this site for fans only because i am not here to start fights but to understand this culture and above all well... say my opinions what i enjoyed in the latest stuff :) 

Also i would like to know... Why the obsession with the magical girls or/and school based themes in anime culture? (no animosity intended)

So in the end if all is good i would like to get some suggestions what to watch:DDD Lately i have been watching Mushishi and loved it. Stoked for the second season! :) 

Offline Kaikyaku

• Reviewer

Re: Introduction, question and suggestions for me
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 05:30:11 PM »
I don't think there is only one way to be an anime fan. I love anime and animation as a medium, but I spend a lot of my free time watching movies as well (old movies especially). As you said, it's one in a wide selection and the different kinds and quality of anime makes it impossible to lump all together. Anime is not, by definition, superior to other media and I don't think you would find many people around here who would say it is. You don't have to be an over the top otaku to be an anime fan, though some of those people do exist. I don't think you need to worry about starting any fights around here, so welcome.

For suggestions, if often good to give a list of what you've already seen and what you liked and didn't like and why. If you like Mushishi, I would recommend Haibane Renmei and Kino's Journey as other series that are more reflective.

Offline Kiniest

• Kiniest's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Chat with Kiniest1 using Skype

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 05:59:02 PM »
Well, I'll let you know that, ironically, a lot of anime fans are actually very cynical about the state of anime. I know people who hang around MyAnimeList that try to argue that there's only one way a good anime is ever made. Of course, that's not really the case. Anime is my favorite medium by an entertainment standpoint; Kill la Kill and Digimon Adventure are very much my kind of shows.  But it is by no means superior. It simply hasn't been around long enough to compare the the significantly larger library of works that other mediums have produced.

On that note, I'm glad to meet a new person who's interested in the medium, and so I think we'll probably do well together. I don't mind if you aren't the greatest at english as I'm sure there have been others around here who struggled as well. Don't feel discouraged, we're probably one of the most accepting anime communities out their when it comes to heritage and opinions. You won't be called out or looked down upon for having a different way of looking at things than we do - it's actually very encouraged to build your own insights as to what you think an anime should be. If you're discouraged about arguments, too, don't be, as any argument is fine around here as long as it isn't scornful or arrogant. You can even overly zany if you wish.

I will let you know, however, that we mostly talk about the shows that are currently airing, such as Selector Infected WIXOSS and Nisekoi. But you're free to post topics on other anime or anime related things, as well.

As I've always recommended to people on this website, try to watch a couple shows airing a season and see what you like and dislike.

As for shows to be recommended, I second Haibane Renmei and also add Shinsekai Yori. The latter, however, is not for the easily squeamish.

Nice to meet you, it's always nice to see a new face, but always disappointing when these new faces simply stop talking. I think we have a tendency to be a bit intimidating as we talk on each other's levels but don't leave any room for those new to anime or the website. Don't get discouraged, see if this is your kind of place or not.
harvey beaks is the best anime

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 07:24:24 PM »
Welcome to our humble slice of the internet. We're actually a very laid back bunch, and we're more than happy to talk about the medium to anyone interested.

As to why there are so many high school setting shows, it's because high school tends to be the phase in a Japanese person's life that is the most emotionally resonant and the most dynamic.  This makes sense since high school is the place where most people go from being children to adults.  Also, the core buying demographic of anime are teenagers and people in their 20s.

As for magical girls shows, they've always been popular since Sailor Moon.  Given that I'm not a fan of the category, I've always contextualized it as Power Rangers for girls.

I'd also third the recommendation of Haibaine Renmei and second both Kino's Journey and From the New World.  Then, I would ask for more information about your tastes.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline Desdemondia

• Calculated.
    • Desdemondia's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Steam Community :: Desdemondia
    • @Desdemondia

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 08:21:47 PM »
Hello and welcome!

First off, fourthing Haibane Renmei ;D

I think the school setting is to provide some sort of relativity to the targeted audience or at least to a wide range of the audience as it's a rather familiar environment to work with. Also, as it's a period of growth, all sorts of things can happen and another possible side reason may be that implementing school themes can be used to display a character's development throughout their actual years of childhood to teens to adulthood etc., for the purpose of showing contrast in the end with their matured self as a conclusion to their story.

As for magical girls, it's really the same as how there's an obsession with super-robots and other types of fantasy power genres. Possibly may be because of the whole 'moe' culture that seems to be associated with it over cuteness and stuff like that as well. Sailor Moon can be seen as a timeless classic that started it all.

Furthermore, I have to add that even with the obsession over seeing moe girls in witch hats, there are titles that break that mold, notably Puella Magi Madoka Magica that became a bit of classic precisely because of the misconceptions and stereotypes surrounding the magical girl anime genre and of which on a side note, I'll recommend the title if you haven't seen it already. Also, for other suggestions, I'll second the motion for more inquiry into your preferences. As you mentioned "powerful, beautiful and rich" in association with your views on anime as well as Mushishi, Mononoke Hime (movie) is always an outstanding place to start.

Offline Delphinox

• The Only Hero That Ever Dies

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 08:41:15 PM »
So my question is: Is it okay for me to post my feelings here or is this site for fans only because i am not here to start fights but to understand this culture and above all well... say my opinions what i enjoyed in the latest stuff :)

Why wouldn't it be okay? You bring an open mind and folks around here will bring one as well. It's all up to you.

Offline Equilibrium

• Background character

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 03:57:47 AM »
Goodie :) Okay so.... i have been somewhat immersing myself with some of the more popular stuff... and really enjoyed your reviews here when i started to look into theese kinds of things:D

From the top of my head i can say that hrmmh i really enjoyed:
Baccano: Cool characters with each of them having their distinctive personality and most having their memorable moment in the show was big plus. Soundtrack was awesome and good neo jazz tunes are always pleasure to hear. (downloaded some of them to my i-pod:D) Story was good but.... i think it was supposed to go on longer and it felt a bit cheap to just say "this is just one story among many and doesn't really have an ending." Even though the story kinda just stopped i still think it did the closure pretty okay<___< i quess.... hard to explain:D

Black Lagoon: It's dumb but so fun. Feels like good old action flicks in an animation form

Bokurano: I found from your site:) and daaaaamn is it at least emotion and thought provoking. Animation sucks but that didn't bother me in the least. Also a big plus for really killing the characters till the end even though may sound a bit mean. Hate it when they resurrect or give a wishy washy good ending. The ending was neutral... kinda bittersweet and heartwarming at the same time:)

ShinSekaiYoroi... if remember it correctly.: Kinda same feelings that Bokurano gave me... Gritty and emotion provoking, but at the same time it had its beatiful and happy moments and all elements were in nice balance. Ending was okay. I dunno can't say why but i liked Bokurano more for some reason:D

Monster: Damn is it intense. Feels like watching a real thriller tv show. Cant say anything else.. except that more shows like should be made.
also: love all ghibli and Satoshi Kon stuff. Shame for the reitrment of Hayo:(  and the death of Kon. Is the last Kon movie now scrapped or is someone working on it?

Oooh... i think i gonna some people mad but i didn't like
Madoka Magika: Unfortunately i don't get why its so praised. Its okay, but the story was very predictable tragedy premise. The symbolism was gorgeous but i dont understand that if you make average tragedy story on a format like magical girls its good because nobody has ever done it before. Its okay but... didnt feel like anything special.

Haruhi Suzumiya: Yea... Didn't like it... Pulp fiction like epidode scramblin was cool. But its so i dont know... Id say its very japanese meaning all the school premise, bunny girl costumes, silly plot... I think its supposed to be satire of anime cliches or something like that. But i don't really know:D (please enlighten me on this matter)

Also dont like: Naruto, Bleach, D grey man, fairy tail and all the normal stuff... Even though One piece in manga format is my sin:D oh and im at the moment watching kinos journey:) so cant put my piece on that yet

Offline Shadowmage

• Mobile Suit RX-0 Unicorn
  • Administrator

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 09:37:33 PM »
So, some other things I would recommend is Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan - Tsuiokuhen (aka "Trust and Betrayal"), Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist, 12 Kingdoms and Planates.

I recommend Mobile Suit, RX-0 and Unicorn from the Unicorn OST.

Offline Desdemondia

• Calculated.
    • Desdemondia's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Steam Community :: Desdemondia
    • @Desdemondia

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 03:38:18 PM »
Looked over your list and had a few possible suggestions to make after seconding Tsuiokuhen, Bebop, FMA, 12 Kingdoms and Planetes: :P
Along with Haibane Renmei and Mushishi, Bartender is a short and nice, though seemingly rather unknown series. It's labeled as of the 'healing' type and its soothing atmosphere is quite like Mushishi in my opinion, as a quiet, relaxing series and I really enjoyed it. You could try it out if you liked Mushishi's experience I think, even if its a bit different and not quite as great as Mushishi.
Soundtrack was awesome and good neo jazz tunes are always pleasure to hear. (downloaded some of them to my i-pod:D)
Well, since you mention (neo) jazz tunes at all, I'll put forth Sakamichi no Apollon that's got straight up jazz and has a pretty large overall focus on it as a theme. The series is very well-made, with memorable tracks and animation, but it's been known to be a disappointment for many whether it's the handling of the quiet romance that's rather minor imo and overshadowed by a bigger picture on the bromance, or perhaps it's the somewhat weak ending. Still, I think it's worthwhile to check out.
Black Lagoon: It's dumb but so fun. Feels like good old action flicks in an animation form
ShinSekaiYoroi... Gritty and emotion provoking, but at the same time it had its beatiful and happy moments and all elements were in nice balance. Ending was okay. I dunno can't say why but i liked Bokurano more for some reason:D
I didn't see mecha action-types on your list, but I think Full metal Panic is a good mecha action to start out with. The franchise with FMP: The Second Raid and then FMP: Fumoffu can't be missed. The characters, the action, the humor; it's all great. I personally wasn't much of a fan of mecha but I enjoyed every bit of FMP. Also, Black Lagoon makes me think of guns, so naturally, Trigun might be for you too though the two are quite different, though I didn't particularly like Trigun. For more guns, Canaan was a great series I thought. It had great fight scenes, conveyed a message, and made for a solid series.
Bokurano: I found from your site:) and daaaaamn is it at least emotion and thought provoking. Animation sucks but that didn't bother me in the least. Also a big plus for really killing the characters till the end even though may sound a bit mean. Hate it when they resurrect or give a wishy washy good ending. The ending was neutral... kinda bittersweet and heartwarming at the same time:)

Oooh... i think i gonna some people mad but i didn't like
Madoka Magika: Unfortunately i don't get why its so praised. Its okay, but the story was very predictable tragedy premise. The symbolism was gorgeous but i dont understand that if you make average tragedy story on a format like magical girls its good because nobody has ever done it before. Its okay but... didnt feel like anything special.
Incidentally, I was going to recommend some more Urobuchi Gen stuff since I hold them in pretty high regard collectively, but not sure if you didn't enjoy Madoka quite that much.. Ah.. still, you mention bittersweet, wishy washy endings, killing off characters, etc. which is how I'd describe Urobutcher's stuff so I think you might still enjoy Phantom Requiem for the Phantom and Psycho Pass. Your comments on Bokurano quite match Phantom Requiem and PP to a lesser extent, so those are highly recommended, though I haven't watched Bokurano myself. I've heard Urobuchi's Fate/Zero is pretty great as well. Adding on to those characteristics you said, Death Note is a must-see as well with quite possibly some of the most ruthless characters around, so that would satisfy those terms.
Quote from: Equilibrium
Its powerful, beautiful and rich
ShinSekaiYoroi... Gritty and emotion provoking, but at the same time it had its beatiful and happy moments and all elements were in nice balance.
You mention 'beautiful' etc. so if you haven't already seen Kotonoha no niwa (Garden of words), that would be highly recommended. For 'gritty' and 'emotion', Ghost in the Shell's got a dark theme to it and might be a good watch. Also, for more dark stuff, the Kara no Kyoukai (Garden of Sinners, ha) movies are excellent.
Good luck! :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up