Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

The Nihon Review Forum

December 11, 2017, 11:38:03 PM
News: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A thank you and hello  (Read 9173 times)

Offline Desdemondia

• Calculated.
    • Desdemondia's Profile - MyAnimeList.net
    • Steam Community :: Desdemondia
    • @Desdemondia

Re: A thank you and hello
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2014, 05:57:13 PM »
Tchaikovsky 1st, with quite possibly the single most famous octave passage in piano repertoire. Truly to die for.

Speaking of which, you're killing me; this list was heartbreaking. (For now, somewhat in order)

1. Tchaikovsky No. 1
2. Liszt No. 1
3. Rachmaninov No. 2
4. Beethoven No. 5
5. Prokofiev No. 2 or No. 3, mostly for its 3rd movement
6. Schumann A minor, or Grieg's A minor, (both were their only concertos) or Saint Saens No. 2

Got a taste for the russian style and tend to favor the very romantic, virtuosic pieces and, well, clearly a real hardcore Tchaikovsky fangirl. As for Prokofiev, it's a shame many adamantly refuse to listen to his pieces which seem raw and dissonant unfortunately serving as a turn-off, missing out on the underlying melodies that I've come to appreciate now.
I assume you have all seen Piano no Mori then :)
Actually...

Offline Muds

« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2014, 07:50:04 PM »

Offline Desdemondia

• Calculated.
    • @Desdemondia

« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2014, 10:57:34 PM »

Offline Kylaran

• A Priori Impossibility
  • Administrator

« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2014, 10:33:15 AM »
Piano no Mori manga is absolutely fantastic. In fact, there's lots of really good music manga that's actually about music.

People would be surprised at how amazing Beck is.

Offline hyperknees91

« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2014, 12:32:32 PM »
I never finished Beck (had like 15 chapters to go ironically). I think it was a series that just kinda burned out. Very solid first half, but I just didn't hold much interest in the second half (after that big summer band festival). It had some nice ideas though.

Will have to check out piano no mori though. My favorite music manga is of course NANA though...if that counts.

Offline Desdemondia

• Calculated.
    • @Desdemondia

« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2014, 01:50:14 PM »
Had my eye on Mori and Beck before but...
Was rather.. disillusioned with classical music animes when I first saw La Corda D'oro Primo Passo in my early days and was excited that it was music-themed... little did I know.. reverse harems. Downright demeaning.

Must have become developed some kind of aversion to seeing and becoming infuriated at these shows, as not everybody's a Nodame Cantabile. (One of the most endearing qualities to it was excellently accurate portrayal of the piano school setting) And as for Nana, well, that's another music title that I'm aware of, yet never came to watching. So, should maybe get around to overcoming this apprehension towards all this.

The problem with manga is of course.. y'know. sound.

Offline Muds

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2014, 08:35:42 PM »
Piano no mori is more along the lines of nodame and not la corda, oh god hell no.

But yeah, I'm reading piano no mori manga atm too, very very good! Continues from the movie :)

I started reading Deadman wonderland, thought that was pretty interesting and then lost interest almost immediately as well. *shrug*

p.s. piano no mori got me playing or TRYING to play Mozart K310 ^^

Offline Desdemondia

• Calculated.
    • @Desdemondia

« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2014, 08:43:54 PM »
Yeah, **** you La corda.

I wasn't exactly gushing over the Michiko ending, but I'm not sure about how you like skipping around on whim. Seems kinda like a luxury to me, as for many of the great series around like with Penguindrum, Katanagatari, Stein's Gate, Tatami, FLCL, or even Bebop, I'd have to put in some real effort to stick with it and watch it through, even with it all being good stuff. Also, usually don't consider dropping unless it's terribad or something, and usually never consider skipping at all. Guess that's just yo style. 8)

Mozart K310 <3

Anyway, well, because of y'all, I'll definitely get around to watching Beck, Piano no Mori, etc. ;D

Offline Muds

« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2014, 03:17:45 PM »
haha I don't normally skip, at least back in the day, I never did. Now? No time man! If it's not something I care about then yeah I'm more than happy to skip, in fact, I think that's the first time I did skip.

I tried Planetes... watched about 3 episodes and don't see where it's going. Does this get any better?

Watched Wolf Children though and wow! How did I miss this movie. I loved it, so bitter sweet. Like it better than Summer something for sure aaaaaand maybe, probably even more than Girl who leapt through time.

Offline Pebble

• Formerly a filthy Kokonoe user
    • Pebble-Runover's Profile - MyAnimeList.net

« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2014, 06:14:43 PM »
I tried Planetes... watched about 3 episodes and don't see where it's going. Does this get any better?.

It does; Planetes can reach incredible, incredible highs, but you have to accept that it's willing to take it's sweet time getting there. The hijinks you see right now go somewhere, but you won't start getting the payoffs until maybe the final two fifths.

Offline thesprinkle42

• Classy Elemental
  • Mech and Mecha are two different things.
    • Steam Community :: Bluchurch
    • TheSprinkle Reviews

« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2014, 06:59:33 PM »
I'd recommend not just stopping with the tens and nines, but going as far down as seven. Hell, try out some sixes, too. If something catches your fancy, check it out. Don't let someone else's rating keep you from trying something. Not that I'm implying it is, with you, but there are so many good shows out there that you can justify checking out anything.

I am always, always willing to give recommendations and take recommendations from an interested anime fan, but there will always be some things I disagree with.

1. Anime really hasn't gotten that bad in the last few years. You may have different sorts of tropes that infest the medium now, but it's not like it's any worse or better than it was before. When I think of the nineties, the only three titles that instantly come to mind are Lain, Escaflowne, and Evangelion. When I think of 2007 and 2006, tons of titles come to mind. The years 2011, 2012, and 2013 all have titles that I will instantly name by their mentioning. Maybe you just haven't been interested enough to look into these years, which is fine, but I would go much deeper into an argument than that against any claim that anime has weakened recently.

2. These guys rate in their own way. I can tell you that 6 certainly isn't a bad rating. 5 isn't even a bad rating. So, certainly expand your interests past just the shows that were given 9 and 10.

And that's about it for my little... aside... whatever thing.

Nice to meet you.
nineties anime and no Berserk? Huh.
Well, in the interest of not being too flippant, my favorite piano concertos, in order:
1. Rachmaninov 2
2. Beethoven 5
3. Tchaikovsky 1
4. Rachmaninov 3 (that should sign off my Rachmaninov fanboy credentials)
5. Grieg 1(?)

More honorable mentions that are too many to list.

You make me think of the Air II segment from EOE and now I'm all depressed.

Offline Desdemondia

• Calculated.
    • @Desdemondia

« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2014, 10:26:56 PM »
haha I don't normally skip, at least back in the day, I never did. Now? No time man!
I tried Planetes... watched about 3 episodes and don't see where it's going. Does this get any better?
Watched Wolf Children though and wow! How did I miss this movie. I loved it, so bitter sweet.

Yeah, for me I still try to tough it out and finish it lol. Someday.
Anyway well, Planetes is slow and is focused around building up the humanly characters and their relationships which is the best part probably. This takes time so not sure if it's the best choice for ya, still it's simply amazingly heartfelt and worthwhile.
Getting a feel for your criteria for stuff that sorta delivers earlier so in that case then, stuff like Katanagatari, Tatami Galaxy, Penguindrum and Haibane Renmei, Mushishi, (the former group = amazingly solid but not much without their end wrap-ups, and the latter group = slow, relaxing) might not be what you're looking for but still, I still say try them out especially Mushishi. Also, if you like bittersweet stuff, Urobuchi's stuff is best as well as some others, so revised list for bittersweet and actiony and or attention-grabbing:
-Phantom Requiem for the Phantom, [Steins;Gate should still be at around the top of your list lol along with Chihayafuru]
-Puella Magi Madoka Magica
-Psycho Pass
-Hyouka
-Zetsuen No Tempest
If you manage to go through even the slower ones though, you'll be greatly rewarded as I think they're all worthwhile to finish.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up